Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Kai Tave posted:

Wait am I not supposed to say gg now?

posting is toxic, interacting with other humans is toxic, I want to stay in my room forever and never speak with another disgusting, toxic human being for the rest of my life

I went out to the store and a guy held the door for me. He said "Hey, nice weather we're having, eh?" Only, it was raining. The disgrace, the miserable excuse for a human being, he was toxic and exceedingly problematicwith his irony. Toxic.

And you think this is a meltdown? Wait until you see someone put GG in all chat next time I lose a match. THEN you'll see a meltdown. Watch yourself kid.

Minera fucked around with this message at 08:21 on May 25, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Considering that even the bots say "gg" I don't think saying "gg" is rude (but I also think not saying "gg" is fine, in some games I know people get super angry if you don't type "gg"). Of course, like a lot of things it depends somewhat on the situation. If a ~pro MLG~ Windowmaker/Genji/what ever single-handedly kept your entire team on lockdown and stomped all over you then proceeds to immediately type "gg" I'm just gonna assume they're an rear end in a top hat :v:

Because it wasn't gg. It was bg. (Come on, MMR please start working ASAP)

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
All I know is I've had one game where we got poo poo on by four Torbs and a Widowmaker and I still typed gg because it seems like the least you can do, though I admit it seems pretty silly since "gg" is about all anyone says to one another through chat anyway so Blizz could literally just automate it and it wouldn't make too much difference I guess?

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
The worst thing about Mei is the blank, emotionless stare she gives you as you become trapped in her icy prison.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Your Computer posted:

Considering that even the bots say "gg" I don't think saying "gg" is rude (but I also think not saying "gg" is fine, in some games I know people get super angry if you don't type "gg"). Of course, like a lot of things it depends somewhat on the situation. If a ~pro MLG~ Windowmaker/Genji/what ever single-handedly kept your entire team on lockdown and stomped all over you then proceeds to immediately type "gg" I'm just gonna assume they're an rear end in a top hat :v:

Because it wasn't gg. It was bg. (Come on, MMR please start working ASAP)

I love that when you beat the bots, some of them offer a half-hearted buttmad gg

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Axel Serenity posted:

The worst thing about Mei is the blank, emotionless stare she gives you as you become trapped in her icy prison.

Blizzard gets major props for taking a game where frenetic mobility is the central draw and making a character who patiently drains you of hope before lobotomizing you with an ice pick a viable and fun options.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

Nehru the Damaja posted:

I love that when you beat the bots, some of them offer a half-hearted buttmad gg

Modern AI has 'tude, man!

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Axel Serenity posted:

That reminds me, I recently played a game as attacker on Hollywood and the enemy team had this one Mei who was maybe the best one I've gone up against yet. Like, they were great at popping out from flanks and from behind, knew exactly when to turtle up, I must have died to that Mei six times or so, it was honestly kinda embarrassing but also I was like hey, good job.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Dias posted:

Of course there is, I type-sing Jaspion's theme when I pick Bastion and people no-sell it.

i'm never not salty i'm a massive pile of salt and i apologize if i've been salty to you but

please PUSH THE GODDAMN CART

i say this for your own good because otherwise i'll kill you all when you sleep

Also, I never had an issue with people saying gg, I think it's fine.

Just picture my corpse alone by a cart for the 5th time, another half a foot of progress made, while people spam in chat "somebody please push the cart"

Objective. Objective never changes.

I just don't know how to cut my losses and hang back with the team until they decide to act on the armchair tactics they are giving. Something in me makes me take way too long to realize I'm essentially running laps to my death past people not willing to round the corner even with a personal forcefield and healer. Whether it is cartoon soldier mans or mech piloting.

I wouldn't mind it so much if not for how many seem to regard pointing out "But I WAS *Objective here*!" as worse than not trying at all :v:

I'm still wildly vitriolic out loud but I've settled down quite a lot since my stint in SMNC in "Taking the objective For real life seriously". But even at my worse, I've been fascinated with people considering calling a 99% vs 99% tug of war back and forth in overtime a "Close match" some kind of slander.

You know, the sort of person who will loudly proclaim you have no legitimate reason for taunting, even in a game where the announcers regularly remind you "Make sure to taunt after a kill to get EXTRA MONEY!"

Section Z fucked around with this message at 08:33 on May 25, 2016

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Losing to good teams in Overwatch is kind of nice because there's so much to learn about playing well in this game.

I gotta complain though. Today I got a gold medal for one objective kill when playing on the Attacking team in Numbani. As Lucio. What the absolute gently caress, everyone else?

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
I like really close games, even if it's sometimes frustrating to stage a comeback from nearly getting shut out only to lose with the payload three feet from the objective or with the capture point at 99%, but I'd rather have those than the games where we just get shut out and it's like welp, that was three wasted minutes of my life.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

GlitchThief posted:

Losing to good teams in Overwatch is kind of nice because there's so much to learn about playing well in this game.

I gotta complain though. Today I got a gold medal for one objective kill when playing on the Attacking team in Numbani. As Lucio. What the absolute gently caress, everyone else?
One of my friends currently has a 28% winrate; losing to good teams is nice until it's happening in 3/4s of your games, I think

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Section Z posted:

Just picture my corpse alone by a cart for the 5th time, another half a foot of progress made, while people spam in chat "somebody please push the cart"

When I'm spamming that I'm either the support standing by myself on the cart because our tank decided to gently caress off/we HAVE no tank, or the tank sitting by myself on the card getting 4v1d because our DPSs can't hit the broadside of a barn, hehe.

Payload isn't so bad, KOTH is what really annoys me, when we get a team with Hanzo/Widow/Tracer/Mccree and they spend the whole game shooting around the point instead of stepping on it. Step on the point. Pick a tank. I'll heal you, I'll cover whatever we need. Please.

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

Note to self: This one's the shitty one

Turtlicious posted:

Is there an option to remove general chat? I'd rather not hear the enemy team talk poo poo if I'm playing a game. :(

I didn't think so, but there is. Press "P" in game, and tick the dialogue box next to "MATCH".

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx
soldier: 76 and friends is a good game

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Dias posted:

When I'm spamming that I'm either the support standing by myself on the cart because our tank decided to gently caress off/we HAVE no tank, or the tank sitting by myself on the card getting 4v1d because our DPSs can't hit the broadside of a barn, hehe.

Payload isn't so bad, KOTH is what really annoys me, when we get a team with Hanzo/Widow/Tracer/Mccree and they spend the whole game shooting around the point instead of stepping on it. Step on the point. Pick a tank. I'll heal you, I'll cover whatever we need. Please.

Oh I had little doubts about you actually trying to, you know, do the thing that wins the game.

I meant it more as a joke reminder that there are still brave souls who will give their lives for Objective when asked. Even if it's moronic suicide to try at the time :downs:

I try to make up for my coinflip accuracy by my willingness to circle around and take some people down with me. Shame these games never have a points category for "Made Tank + Healer chase you for 100 feet away from the objective just to kill you" ButI'll know my stupid death was not in vain. Usually.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 08:52 on May 25, 2016

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

AbrahamLincolnLog posted:

I didn't think so, but there is. Press "P" in game, and tick the dialogue box next to "MATCH".

Well poo poo you learn something new every day. :v:

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

Section Z posted:

I'm sure you, at least, would stop to attack the person trying to kill you if it would not screw your team over.

Give D.Va's pistol to Mercy so that this becomes more viable. It's generally my first reaction to stop and shoot, but objectively, staying linked and using the damage boost on literally anyone will come out to be more damage than the combination of Mercy's pistol + whatever else. Shame my partners are too busy to check their 6 and see why my HP bar suddenly dipped/disappeared

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Section Z posted:

Oh I had little doubts about you actually trying to, you know, do the thing that wins the game.

I meant it more as a joke reminder that there are still brave souls who will give their lives for Objective when asked. Even if it's moronic suicide to try at the time :downs:

I try to make up for my coinflip accuracy by my willingness to circle around and take some people down with me. Shame these games never have a points category for "Made Tank + Healer chase you for 100 feet away from the objective just to kill you" ButI'll know my stupid death was not in vain. Usually.

This is kind of how I feel. I never get PotG but I figure as long as I can kill more people than the number of times I get killed and I contribute towards objectives that at least I'm doing my part.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Section Z posted:

Never trickle in, unless you need to trigger overtime. The worst is the Reinhardt that trickles in and tries to get charge kills, hehe.

Anyway, I need to get better at Zarya, I think she's the biggest answer to the bunker strats on solo queue, at least, but I'm super awkward with her. People are still getting used to reacting to her shielding also.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
Reaper definitely earns his 1 star. Played him for the first time and got POTG. :stare:

Also didn't help the other team had double Widowmakers...

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
Just bought this mostly because of peer pressure, but it looks really solid. I put an unheathy amount of hours into TF2 during release, and this looks surprisingly similar, I'm excited for it.

That being said, in TF2 I mostly played Pyro. Looking at the heroes it seems like Mei might be what I'm looking for, I like how she can lock down people and generally be a dick.

Is there anyone that's more Pyro-like that I should be looking at instead?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Thumbtacks posted:

Just bought this mostly because of peer pressure, but it looks really solid. I put an unheathy amount of hours into TF2 during release, and this looks surprisingly similar, I'm excited for it.

That being said, in TF2 I mostly played Pyro. Looking at the heroes it seems like Mei might be what I'm looking for, I like how she can lock down people and generally be a dick.

Maybe take a look at Zarya or Winston and see if they strike your fancy.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

Thumbtacks posted:

Symmetra is like a Pyro and Engineer combined. Her laser auto-aims like Winston's, and it grows more powerful the longer it stays on target.

Mind, she's the most fragile of the Overwatch W+M1 people.

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

Any time someone complains about me getting potg as a Bastion turret (it feels so bad, but also so so good) I've started sending "I have no skill, I have no taste, but Bastion always wins first place" in match chat and it usually seems to satisfy them. I also had a lot of fun playing double Mei with a friend earlier, reaching the MMR where people actually know what to do about her is going to be a sad day.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
Winston seems neat although I feel like his lack of range would lead to him being kited forever.

I think I'll probably stick with Mei, just because I really like her kit. I'll still try other characters, obviously, but I think I'll focus on getting good with her more than anyone else

Dr. Capco
May 21, 2007

Pillbug
I've played 37 games of Zenyatta so far and won 20 of them. I think the hero isn't nearly as weak as people think but he definitely requires communication of when your ult is up and to wait for the group to take an objective instead of running in like a monkey and getting blown to pieces. This hero is probably the one that for sure requires a mic to play effectively, because everybody has a great habit of running away from your cover spot when you could heal them and it lets you tell everybody when to run into objectives with transcendence. For combat you still kind of suck in almost all instances where somebody gets the drop on you but in close/midrange firefights 1v1 where you can abuse corners and cover I've had luck baiting tracers/other flankers to come around the corner, drop an discord > orb burst fire > melee hit for a surprise kill. The hero is still really fun to play once you get the hang of what you can and can't get away with.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Just up Bastion's damage fall-off. You want to sit stationary in a stupid open place, you get to die for it. Or make him not be healable by everyone else when turreted, so his choice is heal OR shoot.

Then, I'm one of those people who doesn't found Bastion OP, just loving stupid, so anything that makes him sadder is good.

E: As it fell off the back end of last page:

Shockeh posted:

As an official old man too old for games, as I'm struggling to overwhelm 20 years of FPS play with Mouse Accel left on via EPP in Windows, Overwatch is loving my aim. Is there any way to set it on again? Yes, yes, I get the pro choice is to play with raw, but it makes the game feel weird as poo poo to someone whose not on every FPS since mlook became a thing.

Is this even possible?

Colt Cannon
Aug 11, 2000

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Maybe take a look at Zarya or Winston and see if they strike your fancy.

I have to say, I started playing as Zarya last night, she is really good, and a lot of fun. If your team is spending a lot of time away from each other, you can almost use her as a solo tank, while throwing barriers on the random team mate to save them. Then you blast Mercy with your fully charged laser cannon, or burn down Reinhardt's shield in just a few seconds. Plus, your laser goes through D.Va's Defense Matrix.

This is a good video, that gives you a little overview of Zarya, and kinda tells you when to play her.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JPBtTIzm394

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
God drat those were some good games tonight.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm addicted to playing Reinhardt, send help.

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

If you guys want to discuss Bastion in length then you can head over to the thread I made, although I don't know if anyone is actually gonna bother to use it as long as this thread exists. I figured it'd make sense to create the thread since this thread is also full of "check out my PotG" and "I love Mei" posting and it becomes hard to follow the discussion

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

I've got about 5 PotGs on D.va. I want to be good with Genji but i am bad.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

I like playing as Mercy because I get to delegate the job of killing the enemy to the rest of my team while I get to criticize.

Speaking of which, I spend 50% of the time as Mercy yelling into the mic for A) Reinhardt to drop his shield and swing his loving hammer for once and B) my team to turn the gently caress around there's a dude behind us I can't loving kill him for you.

Edit: lol reading a page back it appears my experience is pretty much textbook "What it's like playing Mercy". I find my most potent partner is a Bastion, damage boosting his turret mode while I hide behind it using him as a shield.

Rhjamiz fucked around with this message at 10:04 on May 25, 2016

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Rhjamiz posted:

I like playing as Mercy because I get to delegate the job of killing the enemy to the rest of my team while I get to criticize.

Speaking of which, I spend 50% of the time as Mercy yelling into the mic for A) Reinhardt to drop his shield and swing his loving hammer for once and B) my team to turn the gently caress around there's a dude behind us I can't loving kill him for you.

Edit: lol reading a page back it appears my experience is pretty much textbook "What it's like playing Mercy". I find my most potent partner is a Bastion, damage boosting his turret mode while I hide behind it using him as a shield.

Play Lucio, that way you can fight and heal at the same time look a cool guy.

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

Note to self: This one's the shitty one

Rhjamiz posted:

I "main" Mercy and yeah, like 90% of my deaths would be avoided if my team would just loving turn around when I say "there's someone killing me from behind".

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Jimbot posted:

Wish they'd change the escort points so you can't stand on it.

Not empty quoting this.

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx
i wish you could drive the escort points but it didn't actually do anything, you could just beep occasionally

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
My favorite little pleasure in this game is disrupting enemy advance by launching their Reinhardt into low orbit with Junkrat's mines.