Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Plinkey posted:

Burn it all down and start over, some 12 year old hosed up bad at SimCity.
This makes me appreciate growing up in a city rebuilt by Soviets, even if in almost non-existent capacity. Street layouts are very straightforward. It's just a square grid that respects local topography and culturohistorical objects.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah, or you can just move to this place in the Desert and live on almost perfectly straight roads.

...land is cheap!

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
Oh, and just to add, this is Kelvindale, in Glasgow. Nearby areas include Kelvinside, Kelvinbridge, Kelvingrove, and Kelvinhall. They're linked by the Kelvin Walkway, which runs alongside the river Kelvin.

Also the Kelvin scale is in a sense named after the river, via Lord Kelvin.

Kelvin Kelvin Kelvin

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Reveilled posted:

Oh, and just to add, this is Kelvindale, in Glasgow. Nearby areas include Kelvinside, Kelvinbridge, Kelvingrove, and Kelvinhall. They're linked by the Kelvin Walkway, which runs alongside the river Kelvin.

Also the Kelvin scale is in a sense named after the river, via Lord Kelvin.

Kelvin Kelvin Kelvin

you guys apparently have a lack of imagination

or I guess Lord Kelvin really loved himself

b0lt
Apr 29, 2005

tehchekt posted:

Boston chuckles

Pittsburgh laughs at your peasant 4 way intersections. (also the two Inez Ways)

edit: And 6 way intersections!

b0lt fucked around with this message at 09:54 on May 25, 2016

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Rah! posted:

you guys apparently have a lack of imagination

or I guess Lord Kelvin really loved himself

Eh, it's just the way cities which have grown over a thousand years work. You build a bridge over the Kelvin, call it Kelvin bridge so everyone knows which bridge you're talking about when giving directions. You build a university outside the city, and it's the only thing for miles around, people say it's in the Kelvin grove. Then the well-to-do want to live outside the city near the university, so they call that place Kelvinside because the name says "I'm rich because I live West of the city". Then a post-war developer wants to build houses for lower-middle-class people who want to imagine they're well-to-do, call that Kelvindale cause then you sound rich even if you're not.

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

Plinkey posted:

Yeah, or you can just move to this place in the Desert and live on almost perfectly straight roads.

...land is cheap!

I got some straight roads for you. I love how the planners just refuse to acknowledge the river's existence as much as possible, bridges are either made to follow the normal grid or the grid is expanded to avoid the river unless it's absolutely necessary to do something like on Ferris.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Reveilled posted:

EDIT: Cleveden Gardens is just south of Winton Drive, a little off the bottom of the map.

How can packages even reach places here?

Do trucks with packages run in circles for days trying to find the right place, only to drop them on some random location?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
They end up in Atlanta.

sweek0
May 22, 2006

Let me fall out the window
With confetti in my hair
Deal out jacks or better
On a blanket by the stairs
I'll tell you all my secrets
But I lie about my past

Tei posted:

How can packages even reach places here?

Do trucks with packages run in circles for days trying to find the right place, only to drop them on some random location?

The UK has a pretty precise postcode system which means this isn't really an issue.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
It's hard to read two words.

Brennanite
Feb 14, 2009

Reveilled posted:

EDIT: Cleveden Gardens is just south of Winton Drive, a little off the bottom of the map.

Nonsense like this (and that Philadelphia intersection, WTF) is why the Mormons built all of their cities not just on a grid, but a numbered grid. Center Street is 0 on the x-axis, Main Street is 0 on the y-axis, and everything is numbered + cardinal direction from there. It's impossible to get lost in any Utah/Eastern Idaho/Northern Arizona town for this very reason.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Brennanite posted:

Nonsense like this (and that Philadelphia intersection, WTF) is why the Mormons built all of their cities not just on a grid, but a numbered grid. Center Street is 0 on the x-axis, Main Street is 0 on the y-axis, and everything is numbered + cardinal direction from there. It's impossible to get lost in any Utah/Eastern Idaho/Northern Arizona town for this very reason.

The main reason it's hard to get lost in Mormon towns is because no one has a reason to be there if they don't live there.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Brennanite posted:

I'm not sure that street addresses like "300 S 300 N" make it impossible to get lost.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
The STEM city of my dreams looks like a giant chessboard except for the 64 lane freeway they built through it in the 60s, under which is a Romani tent city

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Albino Squirrel posted:

Politically loaded because Stone Mountain, home to a carving of a bunch of goddamn racists, appears to be overwhelmingly African-American?

Stone Mountain the town is indeed 75% African-American. Stone Mountain the, uh, mountain (it's actually a monadnock) would be a pleasant, well-preserved bit of nature if it didn't have that damned carving (and associated history of racist grotesquerie) on it.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
There's a nice little publicly accessible trail going up the western side of the mountain where you don't have to see the Confederate carving at all. Great view at the top.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
I wonder how difficult it would be to actually destroy the carvings, or at least ruin them.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

But it's just the Confederate pantheon, in carving form this time. Aren't there hundreds and hundreds of places named after them? Why is this suddenly so problematic?

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Phlegmish posted:

But it's just the Confederate pantheon, in carving form this time. Aren't there hundreds and hundreds of places named after them? Why is this suddenly so problematic?

Wouldn't mind renaming those places, either. I don't think Georgia should have this:

Or at least put these places/memorials/etc. in proper context. The Confederate generals on Stone Mountain are shown as proud, glorious, victorious. Nary a mention of their original sin.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?
"Oh, yeah! Yeah, you can keep the mountain.

We're just going to, y'know, add some figures to it.

General Sherman. And Grant. And Admiral Farragut.

Where? And how big? Oh, you really don't need to worry about details like that."

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Phlegmish posted:

You wouldn't leave a mountain carved for Hitler lying around, would you?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

fishmech posted:

You wouldn't leave a mountain carved for Hitler lying around, would you?
In this analogy it'd be a mountain carved for Hitler in 2040-something, so we'd be talking a very strange political climate.

Or Europe in a few decades maybe.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I just don't like the general idea of blowing up historical monuments just because they don't fit current society's zeitgeist. Then again, if they decided to remove all Leopold II statues in Belgium I would be very much in favor of that, so I can understand in a way.

cool kids inc.
May 27, 2005

I swallowed a bug

Redeye Flight posted:

"Oh, yeah! Yeah, you can keep the mountain.

We're just going to, y'know, add some figures to it.

General Sherman. And Grant. And Admiral Farragut.

Where? And how big? Oh, you really don't need to worry about details like that."

On a related note I signed the poo poo out of this petition.

You can keep your Confederate big wigs if we can have a bangin donk and Andre 3000 and Big Boi.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Phlegmish posted:

it didn't suddenly become bad, it is only now that there is a sufficient quantity of people who care about its badness (and the amplifying force of social media is prob a factor)

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

Golbez posted:

Immediately outside of the uptown grid - which, mind you, is tilted a perfect 45 degrees - Charlotte devolves into a non-Euclidean horror worthy of Lovecraft.

Technically the Lovecraftian horror that is modern, North American suburbia is hyper-Euclidian because of the court case establishing single-use zoning as a thing.

TheBalor
Jun 18, 2001

Phlegmish posted:

I just don't like the general idea of blowing up historical monuments just because they don't fit current society's zeitgeist. Then again, if they decided to remove all Leopold II statues in Belgium I would be very much in favor of that, so I can understand in a way.

It feels awfully similar to whitewashing. Destroying all parts of our history that we don't like. IMO a better option would be to add a plaque explaining the historical context to visitors.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

TheQat posted:

it didn't suddenly become bad, it is only now that there is a sufficient quantity of people who care about its badness (and the amplifying force of social media is prob a factor)

nonwhite americans, and plenty enough white folks sympathetic to us, have thought that confederate monuments valorizing our subjugation have been bad and scoffed at that bullshit "heritage, not hate" line for many, many decades

Jerry Manderbilt fucked around with this message at 18:44 on May 25, 2016

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Phlegmish posted:

If you ever decide to remove them, Congo would gladly give you a hand.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Disco Infiva posted:

I'd have thought the balance owed would be in the other direction there.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

nonwhite americans, and plenty enough white folks sympathetic to us, have thought that confederate monuments valorizing our subjugation have been bad and scoffed at that bullshit "heritage, not hate" line for many, many decades

You're right, I should have specified: sufficient people for the poster I quoted to notice, not for something to be done

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

TheBalor posted:

It feels awfully similar to whitewashing. Destroying all parts of our history that we don't like. IMO a better option would be to add a plaque explaining the historical context to visitors.

No, that's stupid. That's something you do with a some dumb statue in the far corner of a park, not some ugly rear end carving in a mountainside looming over everything.

Whitewashing history is what leaving them up is doing, because it implies they were ever good people, instead of people going to war specifically because they loved them some slavery.

fishmech fucked around with this message at 18:50 on May 25, 2016

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
They could use some kind of light amplification technology to project context over it during special events.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

cool kids inc. posted:

On a related note I signed the poo poo out of this petition.

You can keep your Confederate big wigs if we can have a bangin donk and Andre 3000 and Big Boi.

I feel this is the best solution.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

Phlegmish posted:

https://twitter.com/Goons_TXT/status/735531269400997889

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

I had no idea Newt Gingrich was a goon.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Disco Infiva posted:

Many of them have already had their hands severed.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

An apt description of Belgians in Congo, and elsewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Guavanaut posted:

They could use some kind of light amplification technology to project context over it during special events.

Funnily enough, they do have laser shows on the face of the mountain that has the Confederate carving.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3eCQDwrueiw

Just... nothing historical.