Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
I'd say Carolla sold out but really he's always been about making money. I got tired of the same old schtick but if it weren't for the success of his podcast I'm pretty sure a lot of my other favorites wouldn't exist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
I'm changing my tune a little -- I think the new Adam and Drew show might be pretty good. Drew and Gary are clearly on the "let's have the show be about calls/real life problems" page.. Adam got pretty pissed when Gary did it mid pre-formulated-rant-for-the-Nth time (turns out they didn't have a lot of calls in the hopper) but he kind of backed off in a way that suggests he might be on board, too.

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

pangstrom posted:

I'm changing my tune a little -- I think the new Adam and Drew show might be pretty good. Drew and Gary are clearly on the "let's have the show be about calls/real life problems" page...

Tempted to hop back on, but if the callers are still going to be almost exclusively from their fanbase I'm not sure it'll make a difference to me quality-wise.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
They have been mostly legitimate problem calls, fewer "I drank mangria as I went through a left turn arrow and noticed the sprinklers were on in the rain proceed to rant sir" calls thusfar.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
I heard a few this weekend during a long car trip and it for sure has improved. It's not anywhere near peak loveline of course, but who expects that nowadays.

Moniker
Mar 16, 2004

visuvius posted:

Anyone else find Vinny Tortorich to be kind of a douche?

He's the worst. I'm 99% certain Adam traded air time for his services because he works with other stars. Adam mentioned getting in shape for an upcoming gig and then Vinny started appearing. Then a few weeks later a press release was dropped about some show Adam is doing.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur posted:

True, but to be fair, Stern's rant about podcasts was one of the stupidest things ever. I didn't listen to it but I read transcripts and it's like his intent was to parody Death of a Salesman.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18mNeHDe3Q8
Stern is hilariously so out of touch.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
Hell yeah. If you want to make money in 2016, radio is where you want to be. :smug:

Moniker
Mar 16, 2004
To be fair, Stern's point was that if someone who is unknown gets into podcasting they're probably not going to make any money. It's that simple. It's true, too.

If someone has a known name as a broadcaster through traditional means then he's not talking about you.

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!

Moniker posted:

To be fair, Stern's point was that if someone who is unknown gets into podcasting they're probably not going to make any money. It's that simple. It's true, too.

If someone has a known name as a broadcaster through traditional means then he's not talking about you.

Stern's point loving sucks because most Podcasters aren't like him and aren't doing it to get rich. He just loving can't get out of his own skewed perspective and he never will.

Moniker
Mar 16, 2004

Stern's point loving sucks because most Podcasters aren't like him and aren't doing it to get rich. He just loving can't get out of his own skewed perspective and he never will.

I think his point is valid. If you're going into podcasting in order to make a living then just stop now because you're not going to. Unless you've already got a name behind you. That's a pretty valid point.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
But the place to be to be a runaway success in 2016 is the terrestrial radio stations.

Yeah, that tracks.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Moniker posted:

I think his point is valid. If you're going into podcasting in order to make a living then just stop now because you're not going to. Unless you've already got a name behind you. That's a pretty valid point.

Except for all those podcasters who've built a name over years of giving out free content, and now can command decent ad rates - especially those with specific niche markets.

It's pretty easy to see youtube / twitch stars as the same as podcasters - they just add video to the mix, but it's really a very similar setup. Plenty of them are raking in cash, just not enough to make big money for other people.

Radio is dead. Content production & distribution is entirely democratised for podcasts, and the listenership is entirely balkanised.

Why would I ever listen to mass market trash radio now I have a choice?

Moniker
Mar 16, 2004

rotinaj posted:

But the place to be to be a runaway success in 2016 is the terrestrial radio stations.

Yeah, that tracks.

Don't forget about satellite. You can earn a decent part time living with a radio gig and still have tons of time to work another job. Look at Michael Bisbing or Brian Stann in the MMA world, for example.

Don't get me wrong, I love podcasting. I am part of a local podcast in my city and we get 3,500-5,000 listens per day (5x a week) and it's fun. So I'm definitely not down on podcasting.

Plus the point Howard was making, again, isn't that radio is better, but that to be successful in podcasting you've got to have a name for yourself already. Since I actually do this I have to agree that it's definitely not easy if you don't have a name.

wooger posted:

Except for all those podcasters who've built a name over years of giving out free content, and now can command decent ad rates - especially those with specific niche markets.

It's pretty easy to see youtube / twitch stars as the same as podcasters - they just add video to the mix, but it's really a very similar setup. Plenty of them are raking in cash, just not enough to make big money for other people.

Radio is dead. Content production & distribution is entirely democratised for podcasts, and the listenership is entirely balkanised.

Why would I ever listen to mass market trash radio now I have a choice?

Can you tell me which podcasters are making a great living who haven't piggybacked off of some huge website's success / who hasn't made a name for themselves previously? There are 500,000 podcasts - there can't be that many.

Moniker fucked around with this message at 17:26 on May 25, 2016

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!

Moniker posted:

Plus the point Howard was making, again, isn't that radio is better, but that to be successful in podcasting you've got to have a name for yourself already. Since I actually do this I have to agree that it's definitely not easy if you don't have a name.

So when he said Podcasters are losers he wasn't saying radio was better? Ok. And again, why are you, and him, solely equating success with money? That's my entire point, you can be pretty freaking influential and not get rich, and the fact that not getting rich = loser to him is very revealing about his character.

Moniker
Mar 16, 2004

So when he said Podcasters are losers he wasn't saying radio was better? Ok. And again, why are you, and him, solely equating success with money? That's my entire point, you can be pretty freaking influential and not get rich, and the fact that not getting rich = loser to him is very revealing about his character.

I absolutely don't equate success with money. I'm saying his point. His point was simply that people need a name in order to be successful. In his opinion making money doing what you love is being successful. If you choose to disagree that's on you.

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!

Moniker posted:

I absolutely don't equate success with money. I'm saying his point. His point was simply that people need a name in order to be successful. In his opinion making money doing what you love is being successful. If you choose to disagree that's on you.

Ok, I hear you, you're clarifying his point, not yours. He's really getting crusty and irrelevant, so I should just enjoy the succulent irony.

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Its all really ironic because Stern had a buddy (unnamed) who wanted to get into podcasting so he got hold of Adam Carolla and set up a meeting between Adam and the guy.

I wish Adam would have revealed who it was.

Moniker
Mar 16, 2004

Ok, I hear you, you're clarifying his point, not yours. He's really getting crusty and irrelevant, so I should just enjoy the succulent irony.

Although I don't listen to him anymore he's definitely still one of the biggest names in broadcasting so saying he's irrelevant is sort of ridiculous. Although he is definitely getting crusty. I was hoping he'd retire last contract.

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Moniker posted:

Although I don't listen to him anymore he's definitely still one of the biggest names in broadcasting so saying he's irrelevant is sort of ridiculous. Although he is definitely getting crusty. I was hoping he'd retire last contract.

Hes way less relevant than he was when he was on terrestrial radio.

Thats undeniable.

Moniker
Mar 16, 2004

JB50 posted:

Hes way less relevant than he was when he was on terrestrial radio.

Thats undeniable.

Yes but compared to nearly every other broadcaster he's still crushing it

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!

Moniker posted:

Yes but compared to nearly every other broadcaster he's still crushing it

But BROADcasting is also getting pretty irrelevant with how fragmented audiences have become.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Media changes and older people are reluctant to seeing it. There were a bunch of movie stars who gawked at the idea of ever doing TV despite that becoming a more popular medium. I'm sure there are those thumbing their nose at Netflix and Hulu for their original shows still. Howard is 62 years old and spent most of his life in radio.

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!
More like Private FARTS Haha thanks everyone I've become the third most successful Podcaster just now

Moniker
Mar 16, 2004

Niwrad posted:

Media changes and older people are reluctant to seeing it. There were a bunch of movie stars who gawked at the idea of ever doing TV despite that becoming a more popular medium. I'm sure there are those thumbing their nose at Netflix and Hulu for their original shows still. Howard is 62 years old and spent most of his life in radio.

Everything you said is a great point. The fact of the matter is if Howard came around nowadays he'd be making 32k a year and we wouldn't know who he is. Same for Carolla, etc. But without those guys podcasting and whatever comes next wouldn't exist. All in all I think what Howard said was mostly schtick for the radio but the point he was making was also misconstrued. Either way he clarified it once Adam told him how much he makes but people ignore that part.

So how about the dick spray guy, eh?

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Howard is also seen as a loss leader for Sirius. So his value on radio is probably skewed. Podcasters generally bring in what they are actually worth.

I never understood the knock on podcasting from radio people. It's just on-demand radio.

Moniker
Mar 16, 2004

Niwrad posted:

Howard is also seen as a loss leader for Sirius. So his value on radio is probably skewed. Podcasters generally bring in what they are actually worth.

I never understood the knock on podcasting from radio people. It's just on-demand radio.

I think the biggest issue is any rear end in a top hat can start a podcast so it seems less prestigious. But I'm with you 100%. There's no need for hate. It's the same thing - but then again Howard made a career out of having enemies so maybe that's why they hate them.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
Want the cold hard truth from someone who knows?! You can't make it as an entertainer until people know who you are. You heard it here first!

Moniker
Mar 16, 2004
Is anyone else totally over this "luck" talk? Adam's ranted for days. His Twitter feed is full of people trashing him for it. He continues to do it. He has one of the quickest minds in comedy and repeats the same loving rants day in and day out. :(

pentfixion
May 23, 2016

WULKAMANIA WILL NEVER DIE
I fell off listening to the show regularly in 2011/2012, I'll only occasionally check in if there's a good guest on or something. Will always be a Carolla fan but I just got tired of hearing the same stories and jokes everyday. Has anything particularly funny happened recently? Does Adam still vehemently hate poor people?

Moniker
Mar 16, 2004

pentfixion posted:

I fell off listening to the show regularly in 2011/2012, I'll only occasionally check in if there's a good guest on or something. Will always be a Carolla fan but I just got tired of hearing the same stories and jokes everyday. Has anything particularly funny happened recently? Does Adam still vehemently hate poor people?

Yeah. His opening rants have shifted from a rant with comedy to just a rant that is mean spirited. Every now and then he's got a good guest on but honestly it's hardly worth it. He and Drew do a call in show and that started off strong and has quickly devolved into a 2-3 call per episode rant fest as well. It's a shame.

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

Why are people complaining right now about repeating rants when we're going on over a decade or so of him doing just that?

pentfixion
May 23, 2016

Tweak posted:

Why are people complaining right now about repeating rants when we're going on over a decade or so of him doing just that?

it really lost its charm after like 15 years, I dunno.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
He never repeats himself, he's a comedy factory, not a comedy warehouse.

Moniker
Mar 16, 2004

Tweak posted:

His rants were once rooted in comedy. Now they are not. It's very simple,

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I kind of tuned out of the Adam and Drew Show when he just got really mean with Drew. Like Drew would not wash out his coffee mug or something and Adam would be almost unhinged over it. He used to give Drew poo poo back in the Loveline days but it was mostly just fun ribbing.

pentfixion
May 23, 2016

Adam has crafted a society...

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
My wife listens to the Adam and Drew show regularly and I'll hear it when I'm in the car with her. I agree with all of your complaints about it, but since they made the recent changes it does seem a lot better. A lot more loveliney.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
There was a recent Adam and Drew where he walked off. Adam covered for him by saying he had to be at his next gig early, but I think he was a bit shocked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Adam seems like the most infuriating motherfucker on earth to have to work with/be around directly.