Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
oldman
Dec 15, 2003
grumpy

Darthemed posted:

I've honestly been looking forward to war-time Everett True, out of curiosity as to how big of an rear end in a top hat he could be. We're off to a good start.

Jingoism was (and is) real nasty, and it is sad to see in good ol' Everett True. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Slammy posted:

Outbursts of Everett True

Goddamn it Everett, no. That's just loving wrong, man.

For reference, Everett once beat a man to death for making fun of an Italian immigrant who couldn't speak English very fluently while saying, "How well do you speak his language?"

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 06:11 on May 25, 2016

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Gorilla Salad posted:

Goddamn it Everett, no. That's just loving wrong, man.

For reference, Everett once beat a man to death for making fun of an Italian immigrant who couldn't speak English very fluently while saying, "How well do you speak his language?"

I believe 'talking like' was more in the 'defeatist' sense rather than as an accent, but that only makes him consistent, not better.

Aardmania
Jan 1, 2007

Ruining newspapers since 1993.

Shredded Hen
Heathcliff

Piranha Club

Dick Tracy

Judge Parker

9 Chickweed Lane

Pibgorn Wahoo Terminal

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Just so you know, I really love Outbursts of Everett True, And He Did., Guess If They Are Married!, Whoops Sisters, Mopsy, Mr. Tweedy (I have good memories of this one from when I was a kid), and Andy Capp. Thanks for posting them.

e:

Aardmania posted:

Judge Parker

Moments like these are why I stick with Judge Parker, and also, Mike Manley is great and I'm glad to get to see his work on a regular basis. And thanks for resuming Heathcliff, BRO.

Pastry of the Year fucked around with this message at 07:27 on May 25, 2016

Savidudeosoo
Feb 12, 2016

Pelican, a Bag Man

Pastry of the Year posted:

Just so you know, I really love Outbursts of Everett True, And He Did., Guess If They Are Married!, Whoops Sisters, Mopsy, Mr. Tweedy (I have good memories of this one from when I was a kid), and Andy Capp. Thanks for posting them.

Yeah, I really like Guess If They Are Married. They're just such an adorably written couple.

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

Mark Trail

Pearls Before Swine Meets Rose is Rose

The Phantom

I love the subtlety in that middle panel. Ah, Paul Ryan, you will be missed.

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Did you ever wonder where the Romans got bread from? It wasn't from Waitrose!

Johnny Walker posted:

Rex Morgan MD

True, but there could be rabid bats or a rabid raccoon or .... :allears:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Julet Esqu posted:

Luann

"Hey, wanna grab some coffee?" There. You're welcome.
Or just strike up a conversation when you see him, because he hangs around a lot for someone who doesn't live there.

Julet Esqu posted:

Sally Forth

Gotta say, Hil's teacher has to take most of the blame here. You don't stand in front of a room full of 12-year-olds and say, "Hey, we're gonna write a novel. You have 9 months. Go." Hil should have been turning in drafts and outlines and revisions and character descriptions and chapters on a regular basis this whole time.
I guess it really is still the teacher's fault, but I was pretty good at dodging those progress report type things and getting away with just handing in the whole assignment all at once at the end when I was her age, so it's not unrealistic.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Each time someone acts shocked about Everett True responding violently to slight annoyance X, I want to punch that person in the face or throw them out of a moving tram or something.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Nenonen posted:

Each time someone acts shocked about Everett True responding violently to slight annoyance X, I want to punch that person in the face or throw them out of a moving tram or something.

Just as long as you're not punching them for being The Hated Enemy.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

I fully sympathise with Mark Trail in that final panel - I've been wanting to murder everyone in this strip for weeks now.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Wallace the Brave

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

To the last, I grapple with thee; From Hell's heart, I stab at thee; For hate's sake, I spit my last breath at thee.

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme

No you didn't, because A) traffic in Kathmandu is total chaos so your "surprise" trip would have taken at least five hours and B) there are no waterfalls just outside of Kathmandu where you can do naked yoga. This is some high quality orientalist bullshit.

Fingerpori

Moomin

Classic Dilbert

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Darkest Auer posted:

No you didn't, because A) traffic in Kathmandu is total chaos so your "surprise" trip would have taken at least five hours and B) there are no waterfalls just outside of Kathmandu where you can do naked yoga. This is some high quality orientalist bullshit.
Plus, people in Southeast Asian countries are super chill with Westerners getting naked at significant spots in nature and it never leads to any problems at all!

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Buni

Rhymes with Orange

Pros and Cons

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Intelligent Life

Take It From the Tinkersons

Dark Side of the Horse

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
So they've added another character whose only feature is "pathetically obsessive geek". Woo

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Tina's Groove

Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Dilbert

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!

My Lovely Horse posted:

Plus, people in Southeast Asian countries are super chill with Westerners getting naked at significant spots in nature and it never leads to any problems at all!

OH my god, SHE'S the one that caused that earthquake.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Skippy (March 27, 1929)

Peanuts (May 28, 1969)

Funky Winkerbean

The thing sighed because it used to be a member of the supporting cast.

Stages of Griefshaft

Rip Haywire

Out Our Way (April 26-27, 1929)

Thimble Theater (December 12, 1929)

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I can assure you a smartphone has way more than 10 times the computing power of a 70s(?)-era microcomputer.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Calvin and Hobbes

Ripley's

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Endless Mike posted:

I can assure you a smartphone has way more than 10 times the computing power of a 70s(?)-era microcomputer.

Minicomputer but yeah.

An iPhone 6 has at minimum 16 GB fast flash storage, 1 GB RAM, a 64-bit CPU running at 1.1 GHz and a graphics set driving 1330x750 graphics.

A DEC PDP-11, for example, used reel to reel tape storage with at most about 100MB capacity, 256kB RAM, a 16-bit CPU running at 3 MHz, and no graphics capability.

treasureplane
Jul 12, 2008

throwing darts in lovers' eyes, &c.
King Aroo (May 2, 1951)

Barnaby (October 7, 1942)

Nancy (June 16, 1943)

Wash Tubbs (February 27, 1929)

Gasoline Alley (March 28, 1923)

Lil' Abner (November 11, 1936)

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

F Minus

Mary Worth

Yes, WORTH keeping. Like an old cartoonist--sure, maybe he's not so flashy like that Sunday guy, but good enough.

Rex Morgan MD

I'm more interested in that frog in a hat.

Secret Agent X-9

I could barely read most of that, and not at all some of it. I can only imagine it was worse in newsprint in 1936. Maybe it was printed bigger though.

Apartment 3-G

Lillian tries what we in this thread now know as the "Luann Method" of attracting a man.

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.

goatface posted:

So they've added another character whose only feature is "pathetically obsessive geek". Woo

Bonus Intelligent Life lore!

Intern Jeff was introduced September 3rd, 2014, and he's been a rarely seen character ever since.

I strongly suspect Jeff's character feature is supposed to be "gay", given the following "punchlines":

And I believe this was the first mention of bossman Mr Finch:

text me a vag pic
May 18, 2007

Slammy posted:

I just wanted to note that even though I don't read all your old timey comics, I love seeing them. I'm also very excited for War Time Everett True. I think the last time it was posted, posters got all upset about the blind jingoism, but I'm excited to see the history there. Though I love any True comics wherein he brutalizes a person on a train or trolley, my favorite True comic is the one where he beats a man for evening suggesting an economic depression might occur. Anyone have that handy?

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Scroto Baggins posted:

I just wanted to note that even though I don't read all your old timey comics, I love seeing them. I'm also very excited for War Time Everett True. I think the last time it was posted, posters got all upset about the blind jingoism, but I'm excited to see the history there. Though I love any True comics wherein he brutalizes a person on a train or trolley, my favorite True comic is the one where he beats a man for evening suggesting an economic depression might occur. Anyone have that handy?

The change in tone is what gets me about the switch to Outbursts of Jingoistic True. The drumbeating for war stuff is bad enough, but it also clashes with pre-1917 strips where True gets annoyed at people blathering on endlessly about the war and tends to knock them about. I swear there was even one where he clocks some chickenhawk who's going on about how quickly thing's be over in America only got involved.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Classic Dinette Set will figure it about when they get there.

Working Daze calls the kettle black.

Super-Fun-Pak-Comix may or may not be doing two things at once.

The Wild Man of YOLO
Apr 20, 2004

A little cross-country, gentlemen?

treasureplane posted:

Barnaby (October 7, 1942)

The Old 97 was a somewhat infamous train whose wreck inspired a somewhat infamous ballad :eng101: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wreck_of_the_Old_97

Pickles

Bleeker the Rechargeable Dog

Wallace the Brave

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Captain_Maclaine posted:

The change in tone is what gets me about the switch to Outbursts of Jingoistic True. The drumbeating for war stuff is bad enough, but it also clashes with pre-1917 strips where True gets annoyed at people blathering on endlessly about the war and tends to knock them about. I swear there was even one where he clocks some chickenhawk who's going on about how quickly thing's be over in America only got involved.

The artist would probably have been arrested or at least lost his job if he continued that tone after we entered the war. The entire country basically lost its mind in 1917- you had stuff like the director of a film about the Revolutionary War being arrested under the new Espionage Act for being anti-British. Only the social side people went berserk on the German-American community and basically destroyed much of its identity. We only regained some of our sanity after the war, and the backlash kept us out of the League of Nations, arguably making things worse in the long term.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Kavak posted:

The artist would probably have been arrested or at least lost his job if he continued that tone after we entered the war. The entire country basically lost its mind in 1917- you had stuff like the director of a film about the Revolutionary War being arrested under the new Espionage Act for being anti-British. Only the social side people went berserk on the German-American community and basically destroyed much of its identity. We only regained some of our sanity after the war, and the backlash kept us out of the League of Nations, arguably making things worse in the long term.

Oh I'm well aware, I just don't like it.

Odonata
Nov 5, 2009
Nap Ghost
Gasoline Alley

Heavenly Nostrils

Big Nate

Ziggy

Ye Olde Fox Trot

Cul de Sac

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Peanuts: Year Five (December 9-12, 1954)

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Did I already say fussbudget is a word I have always liked?

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!

Scroto Baggins posted:

Thanks, Scroto, and others for the nice comments. If I could do this for a living, I would. Even bad old comics are kind of great.

Captain_Maclaine posted:

It is interesting to see the change in True. The comics I'm posting now are from late 1917, early 1918. Right in the thick of it. I wish I could say I did it on purpose for comparison - but it's only because I found a more reliable source. Speaking of which - there are many days that go by without an Everett True comic - it's still pretty random. Can you imagine if a paper today missed even ONE Mary Worth? They'd be jamming their walkers in the printing presses.

Rarebit Fiend (click for huge)

And He Did.

Guess If They Are Married!

Whoops Sisters

Illustrating Webster

Good Time Guy (click for big)

Dave’s Delicatessen (click for big)

"Twink that on your Twiddle"? Was that a thing?

Mopsy

Feiffer (click for big)

Jaf (click for big)

Wee Pals (click for big)

Mr. Tweedy

Andy Capp (click for big)

Ugh.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU