Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

MikeC posted:

This comment only makes me want to see it more. Compelled to see a witcher train wreck.
All of it is on youtube with English subtitles.

Also imagine that the short version of it was released as an actual movie shown in theatres.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011

MikeC posted:

This comment only makes me want to see it more. Compelled to see a witcher train wreck.

Yeah that's what I thought. I regret it.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I'm slowly realizing what a huge undertaking it's going to be to rebuild my save to where it was before I reinstalled Windows and stupidly didn't back up my saves. I'm in the middle of Family Matters right now and I'm already burning out. But I also don't want to just make an HoS-only and a Blood and Wine-only Geralt--I'd rather do the DLCs on a "real" playthrough.

:ohdear: I'm screwed probably

It probably isn't helping that I've been playing third-person fantasy action-RPGs non-stop for like two months now. They've been Souls games, but still.

I thought about just downloading someone else's save but the closest I can find to one that resembles choices I'd want to make has already done Hearts of Stone. :smith:

Harrow fucked around with this message at 02:20 on May 25, 2016

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Harrow posted:

I'm slowly realizing what a huge undertaking it's going to be to rebuild my save to where it was before I reinstalled Windows and stupidly didn't back up my saves. I'm in the middle of Family Matters right now and I'm already burning out. But I also don't want to just make an HoS-only and a Blood and Wine-only Geralt--I'd rather do the DLCs on a "real" playthrough.

It probably isn't helping that I've been playing third-person fantasy action-RPGs non-stop for like two months now. They've been Souls games, but still.

I thought about just downloading someone else's save but the closest I can find to one that resembles choices I'd want to make has already done Hearts of Stone. :smith:

Condolences and stuff, what's the easiest way to back up saves? Hope it's not like Shadow of Mordor where it'd be quicker to beat the game again.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

There is so much in TW3 that unless you're just a horrid completionist, you can amuse yourself with stuff you don't remember/did not actually do previously. You can choose differently. This time I'm gonna see what it's like to go with Yen instead of Triss. That kind of stuff. Family Matters was rough for me too, it's maybe the most boring part of the game for me, but after that the rest of the map except for Kaer Morhen really starts opening up. Right now I'm at a point where novigrad and skellige are just about progressed enough in the main story to have everything busted wide open, buffet style, for me to just lose myself in.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
CDPR please stop giving us so much good content, the base game is ridiculously huge (80-100 hours or so).

This might be the only game I've really wanted to replay before the expansion, but at the same time don't feel like doing ALL the content.

one hundred hours of awesome poo poo how am I supposed to deal

CDPR pls

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Harrow posted:

You're ruining this for yourself imo. Either focus on the main quest only which will level you up really fast, make different choices to see new consequences or start up a HoS Geralt without some silly OCD guilt. Recreating the exact save that you had in a long-rear end game like this just for the completioninst effect when you're already burning out will end up making you not enjoy the final expansion and for what?

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
I'm at the point in The Witcher 1 where Alvin gets kidnapped and that idiot, Dandelion, leads Geralt to the menacing back-alley hideout where he was taken. In the brief cutscene that transpires between Geralt and Dandelion (where Dandelion basically says, "here we are, this is where they take the little boys" and Geralt tells him to stay put) you can see a dead-eyed Zoltan walk up to the door and begin to enter it.

I knew you couldn't be trusted, you drat dirty dwarf.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Palpek posted:

You're ruining this for yourself imo. Either focus on the main quest only which will level you up really fast, make different choices to see new consequences or start up a HoS Geralt without some silly OCD guilt. Recreating the exact save that you had in a long-rear end game like this just for the completioninst effect when you're already burning out will end up making you not enjoy the final expansion and for what?

If mash skip for 99% of the cutscenes which aren't related to new choices and ignore side-quests that don't tie in to major characters or decisions, the game really isn't that long. I did it as prep for Blood and Wine and it was a few hours instead of like, 40. Soooooo much of the game's runtime is cutscenes or running back and forth for sidequests. When you cut it down to just core mission gameplay there's not a lot to redo, and most of what remains is just walking while npcs talk or getting to a location you haven't unlocked on fast travel yet.

It's not exactly the most thrilling way to spend five hours, but it served well for getting a character with ideal choices/gear and re-familiarizing myself with the story prior to Blood and Wine.

Bugblatter fucked around with this message at 08:17 on May 25, 2016

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
I just don't see the point personally. It's not like a Mass Effect game where choices you've made really come up again. :shrug:

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

I just don't see the point personally. It's not like a Mass Effect game where choices you've made really come up again. :shrug:

Well, it's the finale DLC that's supposed to tie the bow. I'd be surprised if at least some poo poo didn't come up.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Even HoS had quests influenced by actions in the main game. Seems likely that something will pop up for the larger expansion too. Let me see some alternative choices along the way too.

Mostly I was just pissed at missing the HoS Witcher gear the first time through though.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

What HoS Witcher gear? The Viper school armor?

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Rygar201 posted:

Probably, you have exactly one chance to get armor blueprints and depending on your choice can miss one of the swords completely. Anyway it's level 39 gear so you're likely not getting to use it before blood&wine.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I'm at the point in The Witcher 1 where Alvin gets kidnapped and that idiot, Dandelion, leads Geralt to the menacing back-alley hideout where he was taken. In the brief cutscene that transpires between Geralt and Dandelion (where Dandelion basically says, "here we are, this is where they take the little boys" and Geralt tells him to stay put) you can see a dead-eyed Zoltan walk up to the door and begin to enter it.

I knew you couldn't be trusted, you drat dirty dwarf.

I'm loving your posts about this bad old Witcher game, please keep it up.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Rygar201 posted:

Just so you know that if you side with O'Dimm you never get the Viper school silver sword.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Harrow posted:

Doom just came out and its pretty easy to find deals for less than 50 bucks. Go grab that and blow away some demons for a bit and pick up blood and wine in June sometime.

I actually stopped playing around halfway through HoS since i got a bit burned out. Now i can settle in for a bunch of Witchering once this drops.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Pyromancer posted:

Probably, you have exactly one chance to get armor blueprints and depending on your choice can miss one of the swords completely. Anyway it's level 39 gear so you're likely not getting to use it before blood&wine.

Speaking of which, turns out I missed the Viper Steel Sword in open sesame? Is there anyway I can go back there to get diagram for it? Though I'd be fine with just summoning it with a console command to.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

ZearothK posted:

Speaking of which, turns out I missed the Viper Steel Sword in open sesame? Is there anyway I can go back there to get diagram for it? Though I'd be fine with just summoning it with a console command to.

Nope, you have to console it.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Just remember that using console disables achievements if that's of any importance to you.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

Palpek posted:

Just so you know that if you side with O'Dimm you never get the Viper school silver sword.

Laame. I'll probably console command both of them. Clearly Sympathy for the Devil has its benefits :v:

Well maybe not. I like cheevos

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Well, siding with O'Dimm lets you turn Roach into a horse straight out of hell so it evens out.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Palpek posted:

Just remember that using console disables achievements if that's of any importance to you.

Was that added in a recent patch? I clearly remember using the console to finish the Wolf School set on my first playthrough and I still got achievements afterwards.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

Palpek posted:

Well, siding with O'Dimm lets you turn Roach into a horse straight out of hell so it evens out.

I chose the Horn of Plenty cause I thought it was in character. Kind of regret not going for something more :black101: now

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Also, RPS has a review of Blood and Wine.

[Edit](Book Spoilers)Apparently Regis got better from the asskicking Vilgefortz gave him.

ZearothK fucked around with this message at 14:10 on May 25, 2016

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

ZearothK posted:

[Edit](Book Spoilers)Apparently Regis got better from the asskicking Vilgefortz gave him.

Like if I wasn't hyped already :drac::hf::hist101:

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

ZearothK posted:

Guess I absolutely have to actually play this game that I preordered and never beat now!

Franz von Dada
Feb 10, 2014

A Boy and His Parasite

ZearothK posted:

loving knew it

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
That's just :perfect: Why does it have to last a week still

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
And here I am furiously trying to get through the books before B&W hits so I don't gently caress up like I did before by not reading the books before starting Witcher 3.

Toiwat
Sep 6, 2011

The swarm of Wraiths in Family Matter's driving me up the walls. I can't dodge or roll out of the way of one that I end up in the attack of another. Then they swarm me and I die. Should I just kill the loving dead baby and be done with it?

Actually, along these lines: everything in the Velen area's been wiping the floor with me. I've cleared out White Orchard, but my gear seems to be quite poo poo and everything I find is still pretty poo poo. Everything I can craft that is not poo poo is above my level. Am I missing something?

I'm going with light armor because that's really the only pieces of good equipment I've found. The only decent medium armor piece I've ever had was the one upgraded from Geralt's base armor.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

http://opencritic.com/game/2704/the-witcher-3-wild-hunt-blood-and-wine

it is amazing

Deakul fucked around with this message at 16:23 on May 25, 2016

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Toiwat posted:

The swarm of Wraiths in Family Matter's driving me up the walls. I can't dodge or roll out of the way of one that I end up in the attack of another. Then they swarm me and I die. Should I just kill the loving dead baby and be done with it?

Actually, along these lines: everything in the Velen area's been wiping the floor with me. I've cleared out White Orchard, but my gear seems to be quite poo poo and everything I find is still pretty poo poo. Everything I can craft that is not poo poo is above my level. Am I missing something?

I'm going with light armor because that's really the only pieces of good equipment I've found. The only decent medium armor piece I've ever had was the one upgraded from Geralt's base armor.
You really need to use absolutely everything you got at the beginning. All the signs, potions, oils, bombs etc. and still dodge and roll around, kite the mobs. Don't get greedy with hits, swing once and then run. You can find what different monsters are vulnerable to in your bestiary. Wraiths gets slowed down by Yrden so use it during that fight. It's still a tough fight even then though as one mistake can cost you a lot.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
Wraiths also have a pretty learnable attack pattern, it's just got some odd timing that can throw off your dodges.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
Wraiths?

Yrden.

Alt-Yrden is even better.

Dirt
May 26, 2003

Toiwat posted:

I got stuck here too. I ended up loading an old save and going to novigrad to do quests until I was level 14.

Stuff that can help though ;
Reliever decoction reduces damage from wraiths.
Yrden. Bombs. Specter oil. Quen. Igni to relight the fires.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

So I finally decided to play this freaking game, but I realised my Witcher 2 savefile is gone.

Will the ingame questioning cover all the choices that matter or are there even smaller things imported maybe even Witcher 1 choices?

I've also heard back in the day how Triss' side of the story was kinda lacking and CDPR said they will fix it, did that happen, maybe in one of the DLCs?

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
They added in some dialog for Triss to flesh her out a bit more. Nothing game-shattering, but that's to be expected for the 2nd-rate romance option.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Bholder posted:

So I finally decided to play this freaking game, but I realised my Witcher 2 savefile is gone.

Will the ingame questioning cover all the choices that matter or are there even smaller things imported maybe even Witcher 1 choices?

I've also heard back in the day how Triss' side of the story was kinda lacking and CDPR said they will fix it, did that happen, maybe in one of the DLCs?

The only big thing that importing a W2 save gets you is the Blue Stripes tattoo.

Your best bet is to simulate a save. After you get through White Orchard (this will take several hours) you'll get to choose through dialogue who lived and died in the final showdown in W2.

The only choice that matters much in W3 (so far) is keeping Letho alive because he makes an appearance and has a cool side quest. Everyone else doesn't have any content tied to them, if you let people live some of them show up in cameos.

Triss is only really involved in Novigrad, Yen is involved in a lot more stuff. So yeah I guess there's less of Triss but I dunno if I'd say it's lacking?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
The hardest part of that wraith swarm fight IMO is that even trying to cast Yrden can leave you open to a wraith warping behind you and taking off half your health. So you need to find the right time window to even cast it first, which means patience and some careful prodding. You really, really need to learn the teleport patterns of wraiths and their triggers to survive that fight. Being low level and inexperienced at the game is what makes that fight harder because there's another multi-wraith fight in a quest that I found far, far easier in higher levels with more skills at my disposal.