Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yes, that was, uh, what I said

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

omg chael crash posted:

Two quick questions:

What would be the neatest great sword for a pure STR dude?

And, how do you guys deal with those big, heavy knight dudes after the Dancer? I'm just running away now since that basically murder me.

Heavy Flameberge is really good for str build.

Lothric knights are fairly easy to bait into starting an attack combo and then just sidestepping them for a backstab

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

"Hrm, I wanna do my totally original cosplay, but can't think of a way around the filter...I know!"

:downs:

I'm surprised he didn't just give up and go with Fartorias

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

Section Z posted:

That mallet has the spin art that everyone talks up about with the Spiked Mace, though.

To be fair, it is shorter and lacks bleed though :sigh: But I really do like all of the style of all the Undead Settlement Weapons (Well, maybe I wouldn't like the Harpe dagger? I never got that... Or the spiked mace while farming with avarice and coins and everything)

I'm pretty sure the wooden mallet is the weakest possible "heavy" weapon. I remember my character had 35 STR and like 7 DEX or so to wield the greataxe at Undead Village. I got the mallet as a drop and equipped it, and it did less damage and had worse scaling than a standard longsword.

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

Happy Hedonist posted:

Crystal soul spear just loving wrecks NK with proper gear on. Christ. First phase was done in seconds and then I just back stepped and tore him up.

Easiest NK I've ever done was as a sorcerer with one summoned caster. It's fun to just wreck a boss with Streams and Spears. Got the chance to do something similar with Twin Princes, and that was a good time, too.

Mr. Funktastic
Dec 27, 2012

College Slice
Having a tough time choosing between the Cathedral Knight GS and the Lothric Knight GS. Love the moveset on the CKGS, but the LKGS does more damage albeit with the added lightning damage. I heard split damage is usually bad though, why is that?

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Mr. Funktastic posted:

Having a tough time choosing between the Cathedral Knight GS and the Lothric Knight GS. Love the moveset on the CKGS, but the LKGS does more damage albeit with the added lightning damage. I heard split damage is usually bad though, why is that?

Basically it goes through two layers of defense.

Like if you do 150 regular and 150 lightning it looks like you'll do 300 total damage, but the enemy has 50 regular and 50 lightning defense, so you do 200 net damage.

Whereas you might have a weapon that does 275 regular damage in total, enemy has 50 defence, so it does 225 net damage.

These numbers are made up of course, and there might be situations where having a higher total AR split damage is better (enemy is weak to one type) but you get the point.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
Apparently split damage isn't as good as it looks on paper because it has to go through two separate defense checks or something, but a lot of people seem to be overstating the degree the damage is lessened. I use two damage type weapons all the time and have never noticed any lack of damage, as long as the scaling is good. The LKGS is really damned good, particularly against stuff weak to lightning. Something that resists it, expect to see a little less, but you're still hitting them with a fuckoff big piece of metal.

The big difference between the two is the CKGS is strike/thrust, which is a pretty rare and versatile combination of physical damage types.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Digirat posted:

Dark souls 3 has a pretty ridiculous boss for first timers just minutes into the game

yeah, any boss in any game is going to be hard if you refuse to try anything different than "run face first into it and wildly mash attack button".

gundyr will always do his fancy leap attack if you are at a distance, which you can infinitely bait out and then walk under and then butt poke him back with no risk for the entire fight, even in his second form. if anything dark souls 3 warns new players up front "hey, do you enjoy every boss having a MY TRUE FORM second phase / additional life bars? if not turn this poo poo off right quick" because i can't think of a boss off the top of my head that doesn't pull the same predictable stunt. maybe the stray / fire demons that you can fight or not in farron / catacombs?

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Rough Lobster posted:

The big difference between the two is the CKGS is strike/thrust, which is a pretty rare and versatile combination of physical damage types.

The idea of weapons that deal Strike damage that aren't hammers is a terrifying prospect. I hear the Executioner's Greatsword does Strike damage too.

Imagine if Anri's Sword's description was literal and it dealt Strike damage too :shittypop:

Kite Pride Worldwide fucked around with this message at 15:42 on May 25, 2016

Mr. Funktastic
Dec 27, 2012

College Slice

Mazerunner posted:

Basically it goes through two layers of defense.

Like if you do 150 regular and 150 lightning it looks like you'll do 300 total damage, but the enemy has 50 regular and 50 lightning defense, so you do 200 net damage.

Whereas you might have a weapon that does 275 regular damage in total, enemy has 50 defence, so it does 225 net damage.

These numbers are made up of course, and there might be situations where having a higher total AR split damage is better (enemy is weak to one type) but you get the point.

Rough Lobster posted:

Apparently split damage isn't as good as it looks on paper because it has to go through two separate defense checks or something, but a lot of people seem to be overstating the degree the damage is lessened. I use two damage type weapons all the time and have never noticed any lack of damage, as long as the scaling is good. The LKGS is really damned good, particularly against stuff weak to lightning. Something that resists it, expect to see a little less, but you're still hitting them with a fuckoff big piece of metal.

Thanks, that makes sense. How well does this translate to PvP though? I imagine generally higher AR = better since most players probably don't gear themselves to resist one certain type?

Alabaster White posted:

The idea of weapons that deal Strike damage that aren't hammers is a terrifying prospect. I hear the Executioner's Greatsword does Strike damage too.

Imagine if Anri's Sword's description was literal and it dealt Strike damage too :shittypop:

How exactly is Strike damage different/better than the other types? I noticed that the CKGS has that, but for me so far that basically just means I can break skeletons better.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Mr. Funktastic posted:

How exactly is Strike damage different/better than the other types? I noticed that the CKGS has that, but for me so far that basically just means I can break skeletons better.

Strike damage has a history of being the only particularly relevant physical type (Thrust has counter bonuses at least), doing extra damage against metal/stone enemies and skeletons. It's just better than all the rest.

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF
Additionally, Strike damage is delivered by maces, which are the most regal and authoritative of weapons, so that's another plus.

Mr. Funktastic
Dec 27, 2012

College Slice

Alabaster White posted:

Strike damage has a history of being the only particularly relevant physical type (Thrust has counter bonuses at least), doing extra damage against metal/stone enemies and skeletons. It's just better than all the rest.

Metal enemies meaning enemies in armor such as Black Knights, Lothric Knights, other players, and various bosses, right?

RiotGearEpsilon posted:

Additionally, Strike damage is delivered by maces, which are the most regal and authoritative of weapons, so that's another plus.

But the CKGS looks cooler than all of them though :colbert:

Skull Knight
Aug 2, 2013

Sexy bad choices
Lipstick Apathy

KaiserSchnitzel posted:

heyooo,

I want to do a Solaire thing and I need someone on Steam to help me transfer my unupgraded Solaire stuff from one character to another. Armor set, shield, sunlight straight sword, talisman. I have both characters standing around the Tower on the Wall bonfire in High Wall. Can anyone help me with this real quick? We'll have to do it via password, because the one character is level 122 and the other is fresh off the banana boat.

edit: alright; it's been like 20 minutes. I don't want to waste anyone's time. If someone is up to schedule this over the next few days, and it will literally take like two minutes, send me a PM and we'll work it out. Thanks!

If you still need help with this, just let me know. I'll be around later in the evening (EST timezone) and I can help if needed; done a bunch of transfers for people before.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

homeless poster posted:

yeah, any boss in any game is going to be hard if you refuse to try anything different than "run face first into it and wildly mash attack button".

Try rolling through the enemy's attack because you are actually invulnerable and then...

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
So I made a shiny new account on PSN and got myself to Halfway Fortress, then equipped bluebro.

...Still no hits :saddowns: So as far as I can tell it's not linked to account age on PSN. Testing things so you don't have to!

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
So weird how MLGS's weapon art (a magic infused poke) seemingly has less range than a normal R1. You literally can't hit anything with it unless you're touching.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Alabaster White posted:

No, but the White Hair Talisman can cast Pyromancies.

The White Hair Talisman is Miracles/Pyromancies, and the Crystal Chime is Sorceries/Miracles, but is there a Sorceries/Pyromancy implement?

Oh, I forgot about that, thanks. Although from what I remember reading about it's in an awful place to get. Better grab my asbestos trousers I suppose.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Apparently sorcery pyromancy can't work because of animation conflicts, so It's not likely.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Does the ring that speeds up sorceries also speed up pyromancies and miracles?

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
Yes. Though some spells are so fast that spell speed ups do hardly anything to them.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

SubponticatePoster posted:

So I made a shiny new account on PSN and got myself to Halfway Fortress, then equipped bluebro.

...Still no hits :saddowns: So as far as I can tell it's not linked to account age on PSN. Testing things so you don't have to!

I'm almost positive that blue sentinels don't activate as a result of a watchdog invasion. Just so you know.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Lotish posted:

Apparently sorcery pyromancy can't work because of animation conflicts, so It's not likely.

It'll WORK, it'll just look very strange if they go for a staff.

Could get away with a chime.

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

A chime that lets you cast Fire Orb but you have to go pick it again after you hurl them both

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Idea: Chime that alters the projectile properties of pyromancies ala the Deacons.

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012
Is the crystal chime's ridiculous spell buff a trap? I mean, at equivalent levels of upgrades it beats the Izalith staff. I haven't tested damages thoroughly because right now I'm enjoying murdering everything with pyromancy, but should I just stick to tried and true for sorcery? I've gotten a taste of how much magic can just clown on enemies with the right setup, I'd just like to be sure the chime is worth a slab. Also I'm not sure if it's ever worth it to eat the hp penalty from the less fp consumption ring.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Spell Buff is a combination of Intelligence and Faith scaling.

So yes, it is a trap; it won't actually be that high for anything except Pyromancy and MAYBE Dark. The game doesn't actually use Spell Buff to do spell damage calculations, it uses the appropriate scaling, e.g. Intelligence for Sorceries.

The exception to this rule are weapons which have a special property set that changes magic to use a different scaling, such as Golden Ritual Spear.

---

Rigged: They can't do that, the way that spells are programmed makes it straight out impossible.

To explain, when you cast a spell, it's just like using an item: it plays an animation and fires a specified bullet. They would have to make a whole new set of bullets for each spell, with different properties, and then create a system to switch the bullets.

In DS2, what you describe is completely possible out of the box because it allowed the bullet-firing client to dictate bullet properties like tracking, firing amount, etc. In DS1 all it sends are damage parameters and what bullet is fired.

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 20:19 on May 25, 2016

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

Tallgeese posted:

Spell Buff is a combination of Intelligence and Faith scaling.

So yes, it is a trap; it won't actually be that high for anything except Pyromancy and MAYBE Dark. The game doesn't actually use Spell Buff to do spell damage calculations, it uses the appropriate scaling, e.g. Intelligence for Sorceries.

The exception to this rule are weapons which have a special property set that changes magic to use a different scaling, such as Golden Ritual Spear.

---

Rigged: They can't do that, the way that spells are programmed makes it straight out impossible.

What does it use Spell Buff for, then? Does that mean upgrading Catalysts is completely useless?

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

HaB posted:

What does it use Spell Buff for, then? Does that mean upgrading Catalysts is completely useless?

Spell Buff isn't used for anything, it's just a visual indicator of the combination of Intelligence and Faith scaling, plus 100. It's a percentage, by the way.

EG, if Int scaling is 50, and Faith scaling is 0, Spell Buff is 150, meaning 150% base damage on Intelligence-based spells.

The same would be true if Int scaling and Faith scaling are both 25. However, for the purposes of casting Sorcery, it would indeed be 125%, since Sorcery only checks Intelligence scaling.

By upgrading a catalyst, you improve the scaling, which improves Spell Buff. But the Spell Buff number itself means nothing to your spells.

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 20:24 on May 25, 2016

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I like how From just decided to turn poise off in this game because *reasons*. I just found out about it so I know I'm late to the party, but I'm about 30 hours into my blind playthrough and I thought something was a bit off how I got stunned no matter what armor I put on.

Giant Isopod
Jan 30, 2010

Bathynomus giganteus
Yams Fan

HaB posted:

Upgrading catalysts is useful because it upgrades their scaling. (Which in turn makes the spell buff number bigger)

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
The only thing that really annoys me about poise being off for players is that it's very clearly not disabled for monsters in PvE. In Bloodborne, the lack of poise was totally fine because small enemies also had zero poise, and thus they were staggered by every hit from every weapon. It was only large enemies that could tank even a single hit, and even then you could stagger them consistently if you could string together a few hits. In this game, there are enemies that are your size and use weapons you can use with all the same moves, and they get poise and hyper armor for loving days, so it just makes combat feel really lopsided and stupid. I would probably enjoy fighting Lothric Knights and Black Knights a lot more if they weren't totally invincible killing machines while they mashed R1 at you, and all you can do is pathetically stick and move regardless of what weapon you're using.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

I gotta say, deprived start in DS3 is the easiest deprived start in the entire series. level 1 and 10's across the board for attributes make building your character into any type of rear end kicker incredibly easy, and since you don't have stupid poo poo like your rolling iframes tied to a stat, you're not mechanically worse off than any of the other starting classes. the club is a serviceable weapon, and in the first zone you can get both the broadsword and the rear end (and in the same room even). the chain armor from the old lady works well enough if you care about wearing armor, and other than the fact that you don't start with any spells, you can get sorcery and miracles in firelink, and you only have to beat highwall in order to get pyromancy.

compared to DS2 where you start with the dagger and barely even have the starting stats to 2H a short sword (and forget using a long sword) and you also have to choose between improving your rear end-tastic roll or being able to use slightly better weapons, plus the fact that you could likely break the dagger completely between majula and the second bonfire in fofg because of the hosed up durability system, and the DS3 deprived is like baby mode.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Deprived is super easy in this game, but it's kind of counterbalanced by being objectively worse for a melee build than Knight, since that class has lower base stats in intelligence, faith, and luck (and I think attunement too but I don't remember).

e: At least it's not like Waste of Skin in Bloodborne, which was theoretically designed to be the handicapped class but it was pretty much objectively easier than Noble Scion since it had a higher starting vitality and didn't have a bunch of wasted points in Arcane which does literally nothing but buff disposable items for the first third of the game.

RyokoTK fucked around with this message at 20:35 on May 25, 2016

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012

Tallgeese posted:

Spell Buff isn't used for anything, it's just a visual indicator of the combination of Intelligence and Faith scaling, plus 100. It's a percentage, by the way.

EG, if Int scaling is 50, and Faith scaling is 0, Spell Buff is 150, meaning 150% base damage on Intelligence-based spells.

The same would be true if Int scaling and Faith scaling are both 25. However, for the purposes of casting Sorcery, it would indeed be 125%, since Sorcery only checks Intelligence scaling.

By upgrading a catalyst, you improve the scaling, which improves Spell Buff. But the Spell Buff number itself means nothing to your spells.

So even though the chime scales off of faith and int, each spell type still only ever scales off of its own attribute. Got it. That makes things a lot clearer. I had initially thought it would be possible to make Sorceries scale off of faith as well, much like pyromancy. That is impossible, as opposed to viceversa, with that one chime that makes miracles scale off of Int, right?

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

See my previous post, the Golden Ritual Spear does what you describe.

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012

Tallgeese posted:

See my previous post, the Golden Ritual Spear does what you describe.

Yes, I saw that after posting, sorry.
Thank you for your help.

Cyberventurer
Jul 10, 2005
The durability thing from 2 reminds me. What was up with dagger backstabs and critical hits dealing different amounts of damage at random times? That used to irritate the hell out of me because I'd often lose 1/3rd of my critical damage for no apparent reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

My friend came over to play Bloodborne for a bit and while I still think it's bad I took over for a bit and man, you really don't forget the parry timings in that game. We wasted a lot of precious blood vials trying to "two hand" the weapon though. We got to the cleric beast and the camera took a poo poo as usual and my friend said it started to make him sick lol (he kept trying to re-lock on though I told him not to).