Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PrinnySquadron
Dec 8, 2009

PaybackJack posted:

I would have expected they'd gone the "adventure card game" route like they did with Warhammer Quest. Seems like a better fit than another LCG but I guess we'll see how it plays out.

I suppose they already have Eldritch Horror/Elder Sign for this kind of thing so I imagine this would be designed as something easier to expand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Portus
Sep 11, 2013
Planning to get into GoT LCG 2e, is there any guide of which are the best buys, or if two cores are necessary? Looking to get enough for two players, at least.

Not that there´s that much published still, but does it follows the same pattern as LoTR LCG, with Sagas and Cycles, and that you need to buy the cycle expansion first so to use certain packs? Tia.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Portus posted:

Planning to get into GoT LCG 2e, is there any guide of which are the best buys, or if two cores are necessary? Looking to get enough for two players, at least.

Not that there´s that much published still, but does it follows the same pattern as LoTR LCG, with Sagas and Cycles, and that you need to buy the cycle expansion first so to use certain packs? Tia.

You don't need to buy the deluxe expansions to use anything, they're just a big set of cards for one faction, and a few other cards for everyone else.

If you're just playing with friends you can buy two cores, or one core and just make proxies of everything you only get 1 copy of. Because they had to support 8 factions + neutral cards, there aren't a lot of copies of any given card in the box. I've heard mixed reports of if it's even really possible to build "legal" decks for 2 people off one core.

You're going to need 3 cores if you want to play competitively, there's not really any way around it.

edit: as far as "best buys" go, there are no bad chapter packs, and they all expand the card pool in significant ways.

long-ass nips Diane fucked around with this message at 18:47 on May 25, 2016

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
3 cores and 1 of everything else to have a complete collection. That's also more than enough for 2 players, unless you both want to play the same factions or something.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Ok, I'm brainstorming a nasty deck idea and maybe you all can help. The idea is an intrigue heavy Lannister/Martell deck that uses Lanni locations and events to make intrigue claims even more punishing/rewarding (draw, power gain, double intrigue challenges/claim, and changing intrigue claim to military) and using Martell icon removal like Nymeria to make it even more effective. Tears of Lys would also be a big part of the deck. Any other ideas?

The only downside is that I'd have to dismantle my Lannister kill deck and my Martell crossing deck to build it, haha.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
So, speculation is saying that FFGs LOTR license is ending within the year. I wonder if that is why they're planning on pushing the Arkham stuff as a co op / solo stuff??

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

I hope that they can put out the last Saga expansion by then :ohdear:

I'm still looking forward to seeing what they do with Arkham.

Single Tight Female
Jan 17, 2008

COOL CORN posted:

So, speculation is saying that FFGs LOTR license is ending within the year. I wonder if that is why they're planning on pushing the Arkham stuff as a co op / solo stuff??

Any chance of a link? Not saying I doubt you, just not seeing anything like this in the usual places.

Single Tight Female fucked around with this message at 09:44 on May 26, 2016

Portus
Sep 11, 2013

Swagger Dagger posted:

If you're just playing with friends you can buy two cores, or one core and just make proxies of everything you only get 1 copy of.
(...) I've heard mixed reports of if it's even really possible to build "legal" decks for 2 people off one core.

You're going to need 3 cores if you want to play competitively, there's not really any way around it.

Bottom Liner posted:

3 cores and 1 of everything else to have a complete collection. That's also more than enough for 2 players, unless you both want to play the same factions or something.

No plans whatsoever to compite, but seems to be that 2 cores is the minimun, especially since will probably be more than 2 playing (kinda 3).
Gonna start with that, the wolves box, a couple of packs, proxy whatever necessary and see where it goes from there.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

COOL CORN posted:

The LotR licence isn't hard to get/extend. That isn't the reason they're killing off the game.

AMooseDoesStuff
Dec 20, 2012

Portus posted:

No plans whatsoever to compite, but seems to be that 2 cores is the minimun, especially since will probably be more than 2 playing (kinda 3).
Gonna start with that, the wolves box, a couple of packs, proxy whatever necessary and see where it goes from there.

If you get 3 cores, you'll have enough stuff to make 4 decks, especially with the chapter packs because you can swap out some highly demanded things like the hands judgment for other neutrals or house cards.
That's what I've done. Heck I even printed out more copies of the Roseroad + Kingsroad and like, 2 plots and made a 5th deck.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Single Tight Female posted:

Any chance of a link? Not saying I doubt you, just not seeing anything like this in the usual places.

Nothing definitive - it's mostly just people speculating, because supposedly the license was for 5 years, and the Arkham game is slated to come out around that time.

I doubt LOTR will stop, it's just speculation.

edit-- i would be very sad if LOTR ended

Count Thrashula fucked around with this message at 14:01 on May 26, 2016

Single Tight Female
Jan 17, 2008
Oh that's interesting then. Still, gotta assume they'd renew if that is the case, LOTR LCG is quietly a big seller for them.

Foehammer
Nov 8, 2005

We are invincible.

Can't blame them for getting giant, tentacled dollar signs in their eyes, people are idiots for Lovecraftian IP.

The upside is that I'll feel comfortable buying a deluxe storage solution for the complete LotR set. (Just like people who bought their deluxe Dominion storage........)

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
Anytime anything happens LotR is rumored to be dying. It's happened so many times that I don't even consider it until we have some definite info.

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer
Why would FFG kill LOTR, that would be crazy.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Flaggy posted:

Why would FFG kill LOTR, that would be crazy.

They're at the end of the book at it's already got a huge number of expansions and the people running it don't give a poo poo about LotR itself and are already eyeing new projects.

Dragging it out with new stuff fewer and fewer people will buy doesn't make sense, especially when power creep has already made a lot of early expansion player cards obsolete. They'll get Frodo to Mount Doom then reprint stuff periodically until it stops selling.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

sassassin posted:

when power creep has already made a lot of early expansion player cards obsolete.

"Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?!" on so many levels.
I'd say that at the least 'obsolete' is too strong of a word because you don't have to play power decks 24/7/365 since its co-op. Sure you can, but is it fun to play Boro-god decks all the time? Probably not.
Beyond that though I probably still disagree since so so so many powerful cards are from early and new archetypes are emerging (due to recent exps) that makes previously bad early cards way more viable.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I also can't see them keeping two co-op games in print at once

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

ChiTownEddie posted:

"Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?!" on so many levels.
I'd say that at the least 'obsolete' is too strong of a word because you don't have to play power decks 24/7/365 since its co-op. Sure you can, but is it fun to play Boro-god decks all the time? Probably not.
Beyond that though I probably still disagree since so so so many powerful cards are from early and new archetypes are emerging (due to recent exps) that makes previously bad early cards way more viable.

Some of the core cards are still broken beyond belief but there's very little in the Mirkwood cycle that isn't overcosted or underpowered relative to the newer stuff.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

sassassin posted:

Some of the core cards are still broken beyond belief but there's very little in the Mirkwood cycle that isn't overcosted or underpowered relative to the newer stuff.

Really? http://ringsdb.com/cycle/SoM
It looks pretty solid to me.

Single Tight Female
Jan 17, 2008
Maybe Campfire Tales will never be amazing (unless you get a hero with an Elrond like ability: "whenever a player card makes you draw a card, draw another one") but every Mirkwood cycle Spirit Event is Rohan related. It doesn't take much for those cards to become noticeably better.

edit: ^^^ yeah that

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer

sassassin posted:

They're at the end of the book at it's already got a huge number of expansions and the people running it don't give a poo poo about LotR itself and are already eyeing new projects.

Dragging it out with new stuff fewer and fewer people will buy doesn't make sense, especially when power creep has already made a lot of early expansion player cards obsolete. They'll get Frodo to Mount Doom then reprint stuff periodically until it stops selling.

Makes sense. I will buy the new Arkham card game cause I am an rear end in a top hat like that. But I am more excited for the L5R one. Fingers crossed its good.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
Oh shiii! How does the gen con quest work again?
Campfire tales with 12 players? lol

Foehammer
Nov 8, 2005

We are invincible.

ChiTownEddie posted:

Oh shiii! How does the gen con quest work again?
Campfire tales with 12 players? lol

You don't directly interact with the 3 other groups, it sounds like their quest stage outcomes cause effects in your game, and vice-versa.

edit: Uniques are allowed across groups, can you imagine how that would work with 4 Dains?

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

sassassin posted:

Who gives a poo poo that they're almost done with the Sagas? The game didn't start with the Sagas there's no reason it would end with them.

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!
I'm not the biggest fan of the Sagas, to be honest. I like the random adventures as opposed to 'playing out the books '. It feels less awkward when crazy poo poo happens.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Epi Lepi posted:

Who gives a poo poo that they're almost done with the Sagas? The game didn't start with the Sagas there's no reason it would end with them.

There's nowhere left to go, and they know interest drops when they use their fanfiction characters/locations.

Foehammer
Nov 8, 2005

We are invincible.

sassassin posted:

There's nowhere left to go, and they know interest drops when they use their fanfiction characters/locations.

Mordor, Nurn, or Rhun? Hell, make a deluxe expansion set in the Shire and all the quests are related to stealing vegetables or pub crawling

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

Foehammer posted:

Hell, make a deluxe expansion set in the Shire and all the quests are related to stealing vegetables or pub crawling

Oh my god do we need this.

Single Tight Female
Jan 17, 2008
I mean if we're just throwing out random opinions as fact I much prefer the newer stuff because I don't give two figs about LOTR lore and boats are a refreshing change from endless orcs, goblins and wargs.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Foehammer posted:

Mordor, Nurn, or Rhun? Hell, make a deluxe expansion set in the Shire and all the quests are related to stealing vegetables or pub crawling

The enemies are all like irritated farmers and poo poo

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Scouring of the Shire as a scenario. Do it, ffg.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Single Tight Female posted:

I mean if we're just throwing out random opinions as fact I much prefer the newer stuff because I don't give two figs about LOTR lore and boats are a refreshing change from endless orcs, goblins and wargs.

This is why the designers are keen to move on to other stuff where they're not limited by the IP.

Foehammer
Nov 8, 2005

We are invincible.

ChiTownEddie posted:

Oh my god do we need this.

"If the players control at least 10 Ale Objectives, and have at least 5 Songs in play, they have won the game."

DonnyTrump
Apr 24, 2010

sassassin posted:

This is why the designers are keen to move on to other stuff where they're not limited by the IP.

Any sources for this?

Single Tight Female
Jan 17, 2008
No. Those comments are contradictory anyway. They're inventing stuff right now within LOTR, they don't need to move. Plus Matt and Caleb are newer to this and the stuff they're doing is already more interesting than the first couple cycles. Game isn't going anywhere.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Despite not really enjoying Lovecraft IP, I will buy into this - LotR has always interested me, but there's way too much of it right now -- I just hate it being incomplete.

Starting fresh sounds good.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

EVGA Longoria posted:

Despite not really enjoying Lovecraft IP, I will buy into this - LotR has always interested me, but there's way too much of it right now -- I just hate it being incomplete.

Starting fresh sounds good.

Just buy all of it, it's only $600 :shepspends:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

I kinda wish I'd have waited now to pick up LotR stuff. I've recently got the first three sets, but if they're moving on to another co-op LCG I'd rather just start fresh. Also I'm kinda one of those suckers for Lovecraftian stuff (I actually have all the arckham horror board game stuff, and eldritch horror as well).