Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Tiggum posted:

A lot of small children say that, so it could be a mistake that she just never bothered to unlearn, like how some people go their entire lives saying "fink" instead of "think" or "somethink" instead of "something".

Does anyone in the world pronounce "comfortable" correctly? Or is saying "comfterble" just an American thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

In this thread native speakers of English are perplexed by varieties of English. WHAT DO YOU MEAN GARAGE RHYMES WITH MARRIAGE OMG :confused:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I recommend you all read David Crystal's The Cambridge Encyclopedia of the English Language which, apart from being a rather good book and a nice read, will give you 40000 pages worth of material for this thread.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

Xun posted:

I've recently figured out how the "have your cake and eat it too" phrase even works. It's not having a cake and then eating it, which is perfectly reasonable, it's trying to eat a cake but still have one at the same time :downs:

The problem is that people say "have your cake and eat it too" which doesn't make sense and is stupid when people should be saying "eat your cake and have it too"

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Jerry Cotton posted:

WHAT DO YOU MEAN GARAGE RHYMES WITH MARRIAGE OMG :confused:

the beauty of English is that where I live these two words don't rhyme at all

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you
The Garage, oo la de da, just call it a car hole like the rest of us.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

The Orange Mage posted:

the beauty of English is that where I live these two words don't rhyme at all

:thejoke:

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Henchman of Santa posted:

Does anyone in the world pronounce "comfortable" correctly? Or is saying "comfterble" just an American thing?

I pronounce it comfort-TAble.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

EX250 Type R posted:

The problem is that people say "have your cake and eat it too" which doesn't make sense and is stupid when people should be saying "eat your cake and have it too"

Let me guess, you get mad at people who say "head over heels" too.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

Besesoth posted:

Let me guess, you get mad at people who say "head over heels" too.

I don't get mad at all and I thought the expression was stupid myself until Drill Sergeant Snodgrass was kind enough to explain it one day and the lesson stuck

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

I pronounce it comfort-TAble.

You monster.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

e: never mind

Phlegmish has a new favorite as of 18:12 on May 25, 2016

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Tiggum posted:

A lot of small children say that, so it could be a mistake that she just never bothered to unlearn, like how some people go their entire lives saying "fink" instead of "think" or "somethink" instead of "something".

"Some people" being Cockneys, the Cornish, some people from Yorkshire, a significant number of African Americans and Newfies.

Quite a lot of English speakers don't bother with "th".

stubblyhead posted:

The latter. With an ð it would be a voiced fricative.
This is an abomination. Þ belongs at the front of words while the inferior ð should be at the back.

Whiz Palace
Dec 8, 2013

This is a better fit for the Pet Peeve thread, but I hate how Wikipedia pronunciation tables give every European scrub-tier glorified accent its own line but shove all the Chinese languages into a single row. I understand they are considered "varieties of Chinese" and that's where people will look for them, but it still feels like Communist propaganda.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

FreudianSlippers posted:

"Some people" being Cockneys, the Cornish, some people from Yorkshire, a significant number of African Americans and Newfies.

This is an abomination. Þ belongs at the front of words while the inferior ð should be at the back.

Þou art correct

But Þ is still voiced while ð is unvoiced

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Whiz Palace posted:

This is a better fit for the Pet Peeve thread, but I hate how Wikipedia pronunciation tables give every European scrub-tier glorified accent its own line but shove all the Chinese languages into a single row. I understand they are considered "varieties of Chinese" and that's where people will look for them, but it still feels like Communist propaganda.

Maybe they all have the sound :)

om nom nom
Jul 23, 2011

om nom nom nom nom nom nom
Grimey Drawer
In the awful app, the grenade next to people's names mean they have plat/you can pm them. You don't have to just guess.

I don't know if it's on the main site too, I almost exclusively phone post anymore.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

FreudianSlippers posted:

I didn't even realise it was a regional thing, I just meant individuals from places where that pronunciation is not usual who say it that way. :shrug:

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop

om nom nom posted:

In the awful app, the grenade next to people's names mean they have plat/you can pm them. You don't have to just guess.

I don't know if it's on the main site too, I almost exclusively phone post anymore.

It is.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
The actor who played Casey Jones in the 1990 TMNT film is not the same actor as the guy from Black Ops 3/Law & Order.

The Schwa
Jul 1, 2008

om nom nom posted:

That's a fairly recent addition to Awful I think

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007
Aggravated assault must be the lesser charge, because hey, that jerk really aggravated you right?

duckmaster
Sep 13, 2004
Mr and Mrs Duck go and stay in a nice hotel.

One night they call room service for some condoms as things are heating up.

The guy arrives and says "do you want me to put it on your bill"

Mr Duck says "what kind of pervert do you think I am?!

QUACK QUACK
The symbol for infinity is an 8 on its side.

If you follow the line you keep going round and round and round and round. It's an infinite loop!

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

duckmaster posted:

The symbol for infinity is an 8 on its side.

If you follow the line you keep going round and round and round and round. It's an infinite loop!

Yeah that was a good Ulysses 31 episode :mmmhmm:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Well I mean they all were.

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK
VSauce and VineSauce are two different youtube channels and in no way affiliated with one another.

Beezle
Oct 19, 2008

Happy Steve Perry Day!
The mint in "mint condition" refers to the coin factory, not the plant they flavour toothpaste with.

I always thought of it as meaning like 'minty fresh' or something.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Beezle posted:

The mint in "mint condition" refers to the coin factory, not the plant they flavour toothpaste with.

I always thought of it as meaning like 'minty fresh' or something.

It'a no that far off though, kinda. I mean a mint stamp/bill is fresh as hell.

Sudsygoat
Jul 19, 2013

Snapchat A Titty posted:

It'a no that far off though, kinda. I mean a mint stamp/bill is fresh as hell.

trust me, mint the plant tastes a lot better than licking a penny.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

no theyre the worst

if only they were made of meat :|

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007
Over the past couple days I listed to a twelve part podcast series about Charles Manson. I always assumed he was just a regular serial killer like Gacey or Bundy, but it turns out he didn't kill anyone, only shot one guy in the chest. Also, that's not a swastika carved into his forehead, simply an 'x'.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Ego-bot posted:

Also, that's not a swastika carved into his forehead, simply an 'x'.
No dude, it's a swastika.

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007
Yeah, I just did a bit of searching and you're right. He initially carved an 'x' into his forehead because he was deleting himself from society. Sometime before an interview he did in 1981 he added the other lines.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spanish_dialects_and_varieties

Holy crap. This is why my Spanish teacher couldn't pronounce "th", but my Mexican girlfriend has no issue. :aaaaa:

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Snapchat A Titty posted:

no theyre the worst

if only they were made of meat :|

What, have you never heard of mint's meat?

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you

Ego-bot posted:

Over the past couple days I listed to a twelve part podcast series about Charles Manson. I always assumed he was just a regular serial killer like Gacey or Bundy, but it turns out he didn't kill anyone, only shot one guy in the chest. Also, that's not a swastika carved into his forehead, simply an 'x'.

He didn't kill as much as his infamy lets on. I think the reason he became such a famous criminal was the circumstance surrounding his crimes.
His obsession with pop music in the Beatles and Beach Boys, his interest in starting a race war, and of course the murder of an actress and almost murder of a famous and well liked Hollywood director before he had been publicly outed as paedophile rapist.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Ego-bot posted:

Was that "You Must Remember This"? Their Star Wars series is pretty good too. (Hollywood Stars and WWII, not the Jedi poo poo)

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
The cover for Masters of Doom has a really zoomed in graphic of that Doom 2 human with the chaingun. I've read the book multiple times, but I've never looked at the cover from far enough away that the image looked like the zoomed-in, slightly blurred pixel art it is.

This whole time I thought it was a genericized 2D video game image; blurred to avoid stomping on id's copyrights.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

KillHour posted:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spanish_dialects_and_varieties

Holy crap. This is why my Spanish teacher couldn't pronounce "th", but my Mexican girlfriend has no issue. :aaaaa:

Wouldn't it be the other way around? I thought that sound was mostly found in Peninsular Spanish, with Latin Americans pronouncing z as s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

That until now, just this once, in another country/culture, I've never seen a homeless woman - only men. Maybe the rest of this post would better fit in the A/T stupid questions thread, but what would be the cause of this imbalance?