Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Smiling Jack posted:

okay explain this to me why the gently caress was his wallet in his sock

As with women's pants, the uniform's pockets are purely decorative.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

Stultus Maximus posted:

Navy sure as hell doesn't do that.

They did with utilities, summer whites, working blues, and the dress uniforms. The only uniform with actual pockets you could use were coveralls. I got out before NWUs :shrug:

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

hogmartin posted:

They did with utilities, summer whites, working blues, and the dress uniforms. The only uniform with actual pockets you could use were coveralls. I got out before NWUs :shrug:

I never have, nor have I seen any of my sailors harassed for using the pockets of their utilities. Maybe it was a shore thing?

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

They screamed at us to do it in basic training when we wore dress uniforms. Haven't heard it since. Somebody was probably stealing terrible ideas from other services.

I had a SNCO try to bitch me out because he thought the hood on the big green fuzzy parka was just for show.

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007
Might have been a training command thing, now that I think about it, for the utilities anyway. I know for sure we stashed stuff in our socks in summer whites and dress whites though, and not just in school.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

military gay, so what?

My wallet is actually wearing through a pair of jeans I've had for roughly a decade.

hogmartin posted:

e: beat. Do the Army/USAF do that too or is it just Navy & USMC?

In the AF I'd never heard of this until that Terminal Lance came out.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Godholio posted:

My wallet is actually wearing through a pair of jeans I've had for roughly a decade.

Better put it in your sock!

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Can someone rename the Marine thread "pulling the bulge out of your trousers and stuffing it into a sock"?

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

canyoneer posted:

Can someone rename the Marine thread "pulling the bulge out of your trousers and stuffing it into a sock"?

:vince:

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
If you're not allowed to put anything in the pockets, why even loving have them

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

Malachite_Dragon posted:

because the military loves to give you equipment and tell you you're not allowed to use it. See boonie caps, ear flaps in hats.

Usually its because some senior NCO doesn't like it, despite regulation allowing for it.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Malachite_Dragon posted:

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

Malachite_Dragon posted:

You can have cash, your CAC, some keys, a pen and notebook, stuff like that. Anything that's going to make it actually look like you have something in your pocket, like a wallet or a pack of cigarettes, goes in the sock. Working or underway, you have coveralls pockets full of poo poo and a Batman belt full of TLD, flashlight, diggit tool, nobody cares.

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
Someone make a flowchart for all sorts of questions about why the military does something and it all just leads to "because the military is stupid".

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Malachite_Dragon posted:

The riddle of steel pockets

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

The Navy has its share of people too invested in uniform regs. There was an rear end in a top hat who gave me a uniform inspection everyday. And it wasn't because I came to work like a bag of rear end it was just his power trip and ocd thing, he spent almost the entire day at work shining his boots, again everyday.

I got fed up with it and started playing to the regs too. Air Traffic Controllers are by regulation allowed to wear aviator style sunglasses at all times except for in formation, including indoors. So I bought the cheapest ugly pair I could. I also stole his seat and refused to move whenever he left the room because there's another reg for saving seats called 'swiping' where your seat is saved only if you brush your hand along the chair and say swipe. Eventually he just left me alone.

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

Blackchamber posted:

The Navy has its share of people too invested in uniform regs. There was an rear end in a top hat who gave me a uniform inspection everyday. And it wasn't because I came to work like a bag of rear end it was just his power trip and ocd thing, he spent almost the entire day at work shining his boots, again everyday.

I got fed up with it and started playing to the regs too. Air Traffic Controllers are by regulation allowed to wear aviator style sunglasses at all times except for in formation, including indoors. So I bought the cheapest ugly pair I could. I also stole his seat and refused to move whenever he left the room because there's another reg for saving seats called 'swiping' where your seat is saved only if you brush your hand along the chair and say swipe. Eventually he just left me alone.

So, Dora runs the Navy.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Ygolonac posted:

So, Dora runs the Navy.

Awwwww maaaaan!

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Blackchamber posted:

:catstare:

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

wanna read that reg :kiddo:

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
I've known people that think that FM 22-102 "Wall To Wall Counseling" was a real reg. TALK ABOUT IDIOTS

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Holy poo poo he actually signed marine open contract over an air force contract.

I'm not sure I can help this kid.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
That shouldn't even exist.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

I hope he just meant "open position" as in what was available to ship out to boot soon.
Air Force really has an image problem. They need to slay more and bigger dragons in their ads.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

LingcodKilla posted:

Holy poo poo he actually signed marine open contract over an air force contract.

I'm not sure I can help this kid.

my fav open contract story was this retard in my boot platoon who was a one time guide and squad leader getting the water dog mos. the look on his stupid face when the di told him he was gonna be building field showers was loving priceless. i hope he drowned in a water buffalo

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
count on it being an open contract. Not to say he wont get mp. Just ask to see it.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Blackchamber posted:

The hero we need

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

evil_bunnY posted:

The hero we need

I went looking for it last night, but I haven't been in the Navy in a few years and I don't have the benefit of having the pub library down the hall anymore. I know the sunglasses thing is covered in the 80T-114 and I think the swiping thing is another atc or amphib atc pub. The 114 also states that ACs work hours are limited to 8 hour shifts not to exceed 10 which actually became an issue on our deployment because they want us to match the 12 hour OS work shifts.

When someone first showed me the swipe reg I laughed because it meant at some point someone got butthurt enough about losing their seat all the time that they submitted something official about it.

The idiot was me (as per the usual) eventually because if any of you recall Navy medical put something out about the amount of caffeinated coffee you could drink if you had a flight status and at the time I had a huge energy drinking habit that was 5 or 6 times the dose limit and they became killjoys.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
I was playing frisbee this morning as part of our section PT, and we were playing tucked/un-tucked teams.

Some wierdo from the infantry comes over and tells me to tuck in my shirt, Army doesn't modify the uniform soldier. I was kinda stunned that anyone gave a gently caress and almost just complied, but then my 1SG came from the other side of the field, wondering why our dudes are getting hassled.

Watched two SNCOS go ~nuh-uh~ at each other for an UNCOMFORTABLE amount of time before nothing happened. The look of pure disbelief on the Air Force and Navy faces was priceless, especially when top pretty much out of spite ordered everyone to keep their shirts untucked.

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

Wasabi the J posted:

Watched two SNCOS go ~nuh-uh~ at each other for an UNCOMFORTABLE amount of time before nothing happened. The look of pure disbelief on the Air Force and Navy faces was priceless, especially when top pretty much out of spite ordered everyone to keep their shirts untucked.

I'm picturing this with a David Attenborough narration and it's frankly magical.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

hogmartin posted:

I'm picturing this with a David Attenborough narration and it's frankly magical.

I did and yes it is. Also Morgan Freeman.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

hogmartin posted:

"Two elder males of the tribe square off over cultural differences. They perform a complicated dance involving blizzard references to traditional guidelines"

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

Yeah man like the USAF and USN might be relatively chill, and from everyone I met in them seemed to reflect that. The army and marines....well, stories like that pocket flap thing are like EVERY DAY poo poo, just another rear end in a top hat mad about REGS.

Dont marines keep their wallet in the loving socks? Because its professional? Thats Idiots 101.

I was USAF. There's assholes in all services. It wasn't an every day thing for me but that's because I worked in a dark closet and didn't have a habit of wandering around base in uniform otherwise. Plenty of other people got daily stuff about it though. Like buns not being too tight or having a solitary hair touching your ear or whatever gay poo poo.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
I work in a joint environment from time to time. During a 7 month stretch, the only NCO who came by and insisted we stand up from our desks and stand at parade rest to address her was AF.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Larry Parrish posted:

I was USAF. There's assholes in all services. It wasn't an every day thing for me but that's because I worked in a dark closet and didn't have a habit of wandering around base in uniform otherwise. Plenty of other people got daily stuff about it though. Like buns not being too tight or having a solitary hair touching your ear or whatever gay poo poo.

Mandatory squats at PT?

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Aranan posted:

I work in a joint environment from time to time. During a 7 month stretch, the only NCO who came by and insisted we stand up from our desks and stand at parade rest to address her was AF.

I went through a joint AF/USMC course at an AF schoolhouse last year, and one of my Marine instructors got "spoken to" for not calling attention on deck when an AF master sergeant decided to come sit in on the class for a bit.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
The Air Force is petty and stupid. AETC takes that to the next level.

When I got to Kadena in 2008, they sent all first term airmen to like remedial tech school where they covered stupid poo poo like customs and courtesies and you picked up trash around base (which was cool I taught everyone in my group how to drive stick). Anyways on the last day they did uniform inspections and stressed the importance of creases and shined boots for your BDU's. The week before I went and bought ABU's and wore those since they never said I couldn't. The SNCO running the program tried to give me an LOC for it but thankfully someone put a stop to that nonsense.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Internet Wizard posted:

I went through a joint AF/USMC course at an AF schoolhouse last year, and one of my Marine instructors got "spoken to" for not calling attention on deck when an AF master sergeant decided to come sit in on the class for a bit.
AETC is the stupidest place in the Air Force. Unfortunately some morons think the way things are done there is great and the idiocy leaks out to the rest of the force.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Internet Wizard posted:

Makes you wonder what they do for a butter bar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Aranan posted:

And then you hang out with ANG guys,who will flip off guys who do that.