Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

some texas redneck posted:

That's more than I've driven this week. :stare:

When I got my first carbon bike, I boasted in the store that was my monthly average. I got my present superbike June last year and it has over 12,000kms on it already

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!

some texas redneck posted:

That's more than I've driven this week. :stare:
It's more than I drive in a typical month.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

bolind posted:

Learned today that the sysadmin at my new job has honest to god teddy bear wheels on his car. I have to go see them, I've only ever seen pics of those.

Ronal teddies?

Hero.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
I used to be super in to road biking/road racing before I had one too many close calls with cars. One of them was finally going to get me. :(

Going to decide on this Spyder within the next month. I may punt to next spring instead since I'm still trying to decide between a 987 Spyder and a Cayman GTS.

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

I have an expensive car related package coming today and I'm very excited. :madmax:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

bolind posted:

Learned today that the sysadmin at my new job has honest to god teddy bear wheels on his car. I have to go see them, I've only ever seen pics of those.

Burn him.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

88h88 posted:

Ronal teddies?

Hero.

Yeah these are awesome. And if you are a Dead Head, paint each one accordingly.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
So this doesn't look so good.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
That's cuz it's bad.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

#stancenation

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Wicked drift angle bro

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe
That looks like really stupid engineering to me. IF ball joint failure THEN drive axle damage. :confused:

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Yeah that's why that era of Honda really, really, really, really needs balljoints done when they start making any hint of noise, looseness, or binding, not after another 6 months. That CV shaft might be separated at the transmission end as well, just as a bonus.

If it's the inboard-brake setup, guess what, IIRC you have to pull the wheel bearing to get to the balljoint with a press. So at that point you'll probably wreck the wheel bearing pressing it in and out, and it's such a pain in the dick to get at normally that you really should just do the brakes, wheel bearings, balljoints, and any separated CV shafts all at once.

(we did this on a friend's car after he snapped his balljoint in half 150' from my house.)

e: scuz - balljoints are absolutely critical. By the time a balljoint has gotten that bad, it's been ignored for many thousands of miles or many months. And I can't think of a single example of a vehicle that won't suffer severe suspension/bodywork/drivetrain damage if you let a balljoint separate.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Remind me to check the poo poo out of my ball joints.

Is the strut fork really supposed to be that low on the shank?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

kastein posted:

e: scuz - balljoints are absolutely critical. By the time a balljoint has gotten that bad, it's been ignored for many thousands of miles or many months. And I can't think of a single example of a vehicle that won't suffer severe suspension/bodywork/drivetrain damage if you let a balljoint separate.

Odds are the rest of the car has been neglected as well and is probably worth scrap.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

kastein posted:

Yeah that's why that era of Honda really, really, really, really needs balljoints done when they start making any hint of noise, looseness, or binding, not after another 6 months. That CV shaft might be separated at the transmission end as well, just as a bonus.

If it's the inboard-brake setup, guess what, IIRC you have to pull the wheel bearing to get to the balljoint with a press. So at that point you'll probably wreck the wheel bearing pressing it in and out, and it's such a pain in the dick to get at normally that you really should just do the brakes, wheel bearings, balljoints, and any separated CV shafts all at once.

(we did this on a friend's car after he snapped his balljoint in half 150' from my house.)

Oh, I get that, but the balljoints on my mk4 Golf aren't like the single point of failure in that situation. I'm trying to find a good photo of the front wheel bearing housing assembly to make sure I know what I'm talking about but I'm pretty sure if the balljoint failed in that way that I'd at least be able to limp a couple miles home.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

kastein posted:

By the time a balljoint has gotten that bad, it's been ignored for many thousands of miles or many months.
To illustrate:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ps6yUBFcsnY
This joint was a very long way from failing, I cut it apart and it still had quite a bit of metal left in the critical area. Probably could have got another 6 months if I was able to get some grease into it and was willing to tolerate all the front end slop. A lot depends on design but separation is almost invariably a result of extreme neglect.

Turbo Fondant fucked around with this message at 16:40 on May 25, 2016

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Yeah, I haven't cut this one open, but I ignored it from like November or earlier till a few weeks ago - because when I inspected my suspension looking for a bad clunking noise going over potholes on the front right (this was the front left BJ) I found an almost completely AWOL swaybar bushing on the right to explain it. While doing 3-5k miles a month.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLAPaujRGyQ
Never buy $6 balljoints.

It had like 1/8" in every direction (1/4" total, in other words) of slop and still was nowhere near separation.

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

SCA Enthusiast posted:

I have an expensive car related package coming today and I'm very excited. :madmax:

The aforementioned package has arrived. I am now the proud owner of:

-one timing and balance kit (several components, obviously)
-one timing chain tensioner (not included in kit)
-two serpentine belt idler pulleys
-one water pump and associated gaskets and hardware
-one intake manifold gasket
-one exhaust manifold gasket and associated hardware
-one set of oil pump gears
-one rear oil seal
-two hood support struts

And last but not least;

- one plastic interior rivet to replace one I broke months ago

Unfortunately I thought of other things I need to order. My credit card hurts.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe
Is this for your Saab?

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

Yessir!

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

kastein posted:

Yeah, I haven't cut this one open, but I ignored it from like November or earlier till a few weeks ago - because when I inspected my suspension looking for a bad clunking noise going over potholes on the front right (this was the front left BJ) I found an almost completely AWOL swaybar bushing on the right to explain it. While doing 3-5k miles a month.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLAPaujRGyQ
Never buy $6 balljoints.

It had like 1/8" in every direction (1/4" total, in other words) of slop and still was nowhere near separation.

:stare: That may explain what is going on with my Audi right now. Have a pop whenever I switch between reverse and foreward.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe
gently caress yeah, dude, keep that thing running! :hfive: Post things of progress and stuff, I haven't the foggiest idea what the guts of a Saab are like.

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

:sweden: They are magical beyond your wildest dreams :sweden:

I'll probably start a thread before too long.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

SCA Enthusiast posted:

:sweden: They are magical beyond your wildest dreams :sweden:

I'll probably start a thread before too long.

Please do, and post a link in here.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

88h88 posted:

Ronal teddies?

Hero.

Yep!

He's actually super cool and really skilled. I had known him for three days when he basically entrusted me his 3D printer.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
It's not my car, just trying to help friends again.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

bolind posted:

He's actually super cool and really skilled. I had known him for three days when he basically entrusted me his 3D printer.

He gets a pass.

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

Pham Nuwen posted:

Please do, and post a link in here.

Okay but be forewarned, my phone camera is hot garbage so the pictures won't be great!

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

SCA Enthusiast posted:

Okay but be forewarned, my phone camera is hot garbage so the pictures won't be great!
I have a half-broken LG G2 that takes pretty good pictures (13 megapixels), but you'd have to un-gently caress the screen. I repaired the screen with a new one, but the connection inside the phone is wonky so it blinks out. I'm not using it anymore, it's just sitting on my desk.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

scuz posted:

I have a half-broken LG G2 that takes pretty good pictures (13 megapixels), but you'd have to un-gently caress the screen. I repaired the screen with a new one, but the connection inside the phone is wonky so it blinks out. I'm not using it anymore, it's just sitting on my desk.

My LG G4 did the same thing after replacing the screen. Ugh. Not giving me hope for a second screen swap.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

CommieGIR posted:

My LG G4 did the same thing after replacing the screen. Ugh. Not giving me hope for a second screen swap.
That's what I'm currently driving and it's freakin' sweet. I probably ham-handed something inside of the case on the G2 and the glue that holds the screen to the body gave out, so yeah.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

KozmoNaut posted:

Marry that wo... Oh, right.

That's the way to do it, screw those stupid expensive-rear end rings.

My parents went with basic no-frills gold rings when they got engaged, and they used them as wedding rings, too. There's absolutely no sense in going into debt for jewelry.

My wife and I went with basic gold rings for wedding wring - i think I spent $200 on both - and an engagement ring with a tiny little chip of diamond in a mount that made it look fancier. Fortunately for me, my wife doesn't like diamonds, she likes pretty colored stones.
Last year, she bought us both tungsten carbide rings with a stainless design under resin inlaid. The resin has gotten a little scratched, though less than I expected, but the tungsten carbide is marvelous.Not a scratch and still as shiny as the day we got them. Cool stuff.

scuz posted:

That looks like really stupid engineering to me. IF ball joint failure THEN drive axle damage. :confused:

Any engineer that put ball joints in tension needs to spend time in a fire. I mean, they still can fail like that when in compression, but it's a lot less likely.

e: and yeah, I realize that it takes some abuse to get to that point anyway. I still prefer fail-safe(or safer, anyway).

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

scuz posted:

That's what I'm currently driving and it's freakin' sweet. I probably ham-handed something inside of the case on the G2 and the glue that holds the screen to the body gave out, so yeah.

I know with mine, on the replacement screen, there was an internal connection break between the screen driver and the LCD itself, and its inaccessible. My son dropped my G4 on a glass scale and shattered the touchscreen.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

SCA Enthusiast posted:

The aforementioned package has arrived. I am now the proud owner of:

-one timing and balance kit (several components, obviously)
-one timing chain tensioner (not included in kit)
-two serpentine belt idler pulleys
-one water pump and associated gaskets and hardware
-one intake manifold gasket
-one exhaust manifold gasket and associated hardware
-one set of oil pump gears
-one rear oil seal
-two hood support struts

And last but not least;

- one plastic interior rivet to replace one I broke months ago

Unfortunately I thought of other things I need to order. My credit card hurts.

You forgot to order window rollers. Also, there's a Saab thread already, but it's around page 3 right now.

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

scuz posted:

That's probably more work than its worth for a better camera. I appreciate the offer though!

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

keykey posted:

You forgot to order window rollers. Also, there's a Saab thread already, but it's around page 3 right now.

Oh I've got several of those hanging around. They were the first thing I did when I bought the car a year and a half ago and I bought extras. This is a major enough project where I'll probably do my own thread, just for documentation's sake. I've never removed an engine before so its pretty daunting.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe
Wanted: Funding for a hog farming/pit BBQ reality show entitled "Oink Master"

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Rhyno posted:

So this doesn't look so good.

So this is way beyond just a snapped tie rod as it was originally described to me.

leica posted:

Odds are the rest of the car has been neglected as well and is probably worth scrap.

This was pretty much what I thought when she sent me the pictures. If it was just a tie rod no big deal but the axle is probably turbo hosed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

scuz posted:

Wanted: Funding for a hog farming/pit BBQ reality show entitled "Oink Master"

Pork stars.

• Locked thread