Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
Giving a KoAs^Hepliaklqana a go on trunk and I was wondering how much Invoc should I aim for with Hep? I looked up the bots and it says the Idolise and Transference power are based around it, but I don't want to burn up to much exp if just getting them usable is enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Transference has like a 20% chance of working at 0 invocations but its power goes up as you level the stat.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
Huh, I guess I missed the message where it gave me the choice of how my Hexer would change up because I was curious why I was at ***** and he was still just slowing and confusing. Probably would have been useful to have changed that up before I was going through all my options cause I was about dead.

Either way, dead and I don't know if I will do hexer with a stabber again. Maybe knight as a distraction. Then again, I didn't ever get to see the paralyzing so...

dpeg
Jul 18, 2008
As far as I see it, you should never go to SA to look out for useful feedback or even interesting ideas; I certainly don't

apple posted:

Speaking of Xom: someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think one possible Xom action is to remove bad mutations? If that's the case he's a little stronger now without rMut around..

We love you too, dpeg :allears:
I'd never think I say this, but SA seems to fare better with jokes than Tavern.

Xom can remove bad mutations. Everyone should try Xom for a game or two, it's a nice change.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Now I never have to play either of these species ever again! Though I might play tengu again, -20% HP is a more fun malus to play around than -3 armor and dodging, I like having good aptitudes. Not much left to do for greatplayer.

Also just made a zombie monkey tile and threw it on mantis since there's a bunch of new zombie tiles now but howler monkeys were stuck with the old humanoid zombie tile.

Are there any other enemies that still could do with prettier zombie tiles? These are nice and quick to make.

oneof3steves
Oct 25, 2007

Sgulp

Nanomashoes posted:

OK, the orb run is... not at all challenging if you have taken on the tomb and the abyss. Kinda wish I had done hell now, but hey, there's always another character.
I really want to do some sort of Zin character now. Mutations suck, and blasting demons sounds fun.

Hill Orc Fighter of Zin is really good. When your invocations get high recite gets crazy and sanctuary is one of my favorite oops i messed up better save my life button. My favorite 15 rune run was a Hill Orc of Zin with a mediocre weapon but recite salt pillared all of Cerebov's minions and perma-confused him so I got to just follow him around attempting to whack him while he jaunted around his arena bumping into things.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

IronicDongz posted:

Also just made a zombie monkey tile and threw it on mantis since there's a bunch of new zombie tiles now but howler monkeys were stuck with the old humanoid zombie tile.

Are there any other enemies that still could do with prettier zombie tiles? These are nice and quick to make.
That is really loving cool looking.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
It's only cool looking because the original howler monkey tile was so cool! I mostly just did a palette swap and then spent a little time putting on bloody bits til they didn't look awful.

I'll be making some more involved tiles soon, though.

LazyMaybe fucked around with this message at 14:58 on May 25, 2016

ThePineapple
Oct 19, 2009
Died on my SpEn in Spider, because I didn't look up what Orb spiders were or how orbs of destruction work (I think I got hit by three of them in a short span of turns). Oh well!

Still trying to get my first 3 rune win, but I don't want to re-play any of the characters I've already gotten far with. Any suggestions on fun characters to play that are also strong? I've gotten far (as in gotten to the lair branches or further) with a MiBe, GaEE and now SpEn. What about a transmuter dude that does statue form and whatnot? What is a good race/god/strategy for that? Or, any other fun characters you guys enjoy playing?

lizardhunt
Feb 7, 2010

agreed ->

ThePineapple posted:

Died on my SpEn in Spider, because I didn't look up what Orb spiders were or how orbs of destruction work (I think I got hit by three of them in a short span of turns). Oh well!

Still trying to get my first 3 rune win, but I don't want to re-play any of the characters I've already gotten far with. Any suggestions on fun characters to play that are also strong? I've gotten far (as in gotten to the lair branches or further) with a MiBe, GaEE and now SpEn. What about a transmuter dude that does statue form and whatnot? What is a good race/god/strategy for that? Or, any other fun characters you guys enjoy playing?

Transmuter of Cheibriados is super strong and fun, but has a tough start. You aren't guaranteed Statue Form, so you're stuck using Ice Form and Blade Hands until you find it or Necromutation.

If you're into splatting often and early, Octopode Transmuter is the comedy option that can eventually turn stronger than anything. Demonspawn Transmuters are easier to get past the early levels, and have good Invocations for Chei.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

World Famous W posted:

Huh, I guess I missed the message where it gave me the choice of how my Hexer would change up because I was curious why I was at ***** and he was still just slowing and confusing. Probably would have been useful to have changed that up before I was going through all my options cause I was about dead.

Either way, dead and I don't know if I will do hexer with a stabber again. Maybe knight as a distraction. Then again, I didn't ever get to see the paralyzing so...

Your ancestor's gear/spells is totally based on your XP level, not your piety or invocations. I don't think the hexer can paralyse but he eventually learns Metabolic Englaciation and Mass Confusion and when you're xl27 he gets an antimagic quickblade.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Your ancestor's gear/spells is totally based on your XP level, not your piety or invocations. I don't think the hexer can paralyse but he eventually learns Metabolic Englaciation and Mass Confusion and when you're xl27 he gets an antimagic quickblade.
Good to know, but I did see Paralyze as one of the abilities listed in the last few turns before I died. I was just going to use my blinking mutation and saw it on the list.

I guess I need to add a fore_more_message for when upgrades are available.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

World Famous W posted:

Good to know, but I did see Paralyze as one of the abilities listed in the last few turns before I died. I was just going to use my blinking mutation and saw it on the list.

I guess I need to add a fore_more_message for when upgrades are available.

Sorry, that's my oversight - there's a default force_more now. (Or whenever the servers rebuild, anyway.)

Also, yeah, Hexers can be given either Paralyse or Metabolic Englaciation when the player reaches XL 15. I strongly suspect this is not a balanced choice, and i'm gonna have to revise it in the near future, but that's what it is for now!

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
You're the best, PF.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

I've noticed mummies don't curse my stuff now when they die. Are mummy curses gone, or what's happening here? I am thinking about attacking Tomb, so any advice would be appreciated.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
they are not punchy enough mummies

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love
I think I already know the answer but which should I be using:

+8 whip Snakebite (curare, rPois)
+1 demon trident (freezing) (I've got some enchant weapons scrolls lying around and maybe a brand weapon to rebrand this baby)
+12 whip of midnight (slash, *corrode Int+6, Dex+3)

FulsomFrank fucked around with this message at 21:55 on May 25, 2016

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

FulsomFrank posted:

+8 whip Snakepbite (curare, rPois)
+1 demon trident (freezing) (I've got some enchant weapons scrolls lying around and maybe a brand weapon to rebrand this baby)

I had no idea that curare was a possible randart brand, what the gently caress?

LogicNinja
Jan 21, 2011

...the blur blurs blurringly across the blurred blur in a blur of blurring blurriness that blurred...
How has Fiddler on the OoF never been a team name?

Felid on the OoF? Felid on a Hot Tin OoF?

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Is there any actual strategy for playing as a Chaos Knight or is it just "pray to god Xom is nice to you"?

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

apostateCourier posted:

I had no idea that curare was a possible randart brand, what the gently caress?

Pretty sure it's an unrand actually but I've never seen it before! I love unrands that have fun and unique properties.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Is there any actual strategy for playing as a Chaos Knight or is it just "pray to god Xom is nice to you"?

Get in lots of trouble, kite it around as much as possible while you're in Xom's good favour and he'll (usually) provide something useful to help. Otherwise you're playing as if you don't have a god and you're eating purple chunks all the time.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

pun pundit posted:

I've noticed mummies don't curse my stuff now when they die. Are mummy curses gone, or what's happening here? I am thinking about attacking Tomb, so any advice would be appreciated.

The generic mummies do not because it was a worthless irritation. IIRC, Guardian, Priest, and Greater Mummies still have their super-rear end in a top hat jerkface motherfucker kill-you curses

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach
Are there any good crawl streamers? I'd really like to get better at combos that require more thought than melee tanks. I know you can just watch people online, but I'd like to hear good players talk though their thought process

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

FulsomFrank posted:

Abuse Snakebite against everything which doesn't resist poison, but its physical damage is awful so you'll need another weapon to deal with rPois monsters.

The trident is good but it doesn't use M&F skill and it's generally a bad idea to spend xp training multiple weapon skills. Depending on your skill level a higher-tier weapon like a morning/eveningstar or demon whip will probably be better than the +12 whip; base damage is really important because it scales with your stats and skills while enchantment does not.

Nicolae Carpathia
Nov 7, 2004
I no longer believe in the greater purpose.

FulsomFrank posted:

Pretty sure it's an unrand actually but I've never seen it before! I love unrands that have fun and unique properties.

Snakebite is indeed an unrand.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

FulsomFrank posted:

Assuming you're using M&F as your weapon skill: Use snakebite until you get a morningstar, eveningstar, or great mace & the skill to use it without horrible delay. Have a spare weapon for rpois enemies, as RPATDO_LAMD said. The whip of midnight is garbage(*corrode plus a godawful base weapon) unless you've somehow found all this stuff pre-lair; even then, it's garbage compared to Snakebite. The demon trident is nice but not worth switching weapon skills over. (You wouldn't want to rebrand it anyway, because freeze is an excellent brand)

LogicNinja
Jan 21, 2011

...the blur blurs blurringly across the blurred blur in a blur of blurring blurriness that blurred...

quote:

the +0 pair of gloves "Zockoil" {rElec rPois MR+++ Int-5}

Oh, gently caress you, game. I'm seething.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

ImPureAwesome posted:

Are there any good crawl streamers? I'd really like to get better at combos that require more thought than melee tanks. I know you can just watch people online, but I'd like to hear good players talk though their thought process

https://www.youtube.com/user/asdfgvbd/playlists?shelf_id=2&view=50&sort=dd?

e: i'm told i'm also supposed to recommend http://www.twitch.tv/gammafunk "to anyone who like touhou"

PleasingFungus fucked around with this message at 06:24 on May 26, 2016

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach

thanks a bunch, this seems perfect! (other than I've never played without tiles, but I'll figure it out with the log eventually :p)

Maha
Dec 29, 2006
sapere aude
All right, fifteen!
http://pastebin.com/e5duBkJ8
My third 15 after a KeMo and a CeHu, and my first with the new, post-victory-dancing skill system. I play so slowly and these games are so stressful that I'm really glad it's over.
Almost died to an oof after I forgot I'd taken off the ring that gave me rF++ so I could see a ghost moth.
I also met and killed Boyd Riy the Pan Lord. :haw:

Maha fucked around with this message at 11:38 on May 26, 2016

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

ImPureAwesome posted:

Demise is pretty good.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
Is there a way to look up all the vaults in the game? Mostly those built around Hep. I got an idea for one but I don't want to waste time doing it if there is something already similar.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
I got kinda bummed about CSZO going down (it was my go-to server) and then work got busy and I was completely unaware that a tourney had been announced, so I was pretty disappointed to see that I'd missed it (and a chance to lead Ogrecoming Adversity to hugeness again) altogether. Then I saw that OA had done pretty well in the tourney rankings regardless, with a full roster of players. You guys are all right :)

Whatever happens, we always ogrecome.

Ugly John
Jul 18, 2009
[img]https://forums.somethingawful.com/attachment.php?postid=514899866[/img]
I had a lovely tournament, and kind of got disheartened about halfway through. Sorry, Purple Eaters. I don't know why but I haven't been able to scrape together even a 3 rune since the .17 tournament.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Ugly John posted:

I had a lovely tournament, and kind of got disheartened about halfway through. Sorry, Purple Eaters. I don't know why but I haven't been able to scrape together even a 3 rune since the .17 tournament.

I wouldn't sweat it. I only had one 5-runer and splatted at least three others that I could've ascended with if I hadn't been greedy and mad at my cruddy gear.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

World Famous W posted:

Is there a way to look up all the vaults in the game? Mostly those built around Hep. I got an idea for one but I don't want to waste time doing it if there is something already similar.

There's exactly one Hep vault right now, so go wild!

LogicNinja
Jan 21, 2011

Why does water always make webtiles respond so slowly? Is it just me? Swamp, Shoals, even watery Temple layouts.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
It's not just you. I don't notice it much on temple layouts, but swamp and especially shoals are laggy as gently caress. Especially shoals, every time. I have never gone through shoals and not had it feel like I'm moving through molasses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly John
Jul 18, 2009
[img]https://forums.somethingawful.com/attachment.php?postid=514899866[/img]

IronicDongz posted:

It's not just you. I don't notice it much on temple layouts, but swamp and especially shoals are laggy as gently caress. Especially shoals, every time. I have never gone through shoals and not had it feel like I'm moving through molasses.

Do all water tiles rotate through different portraits? That might have something to do with it.

• Locked thread