Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Have any of the souls/blood games used the scene where Slaan forms out of troll pieces and blood?

Also has anything come out of the Behelit Guts is still carrying from The Count? I kind of fell off around the time the boat became a thing and am looking to go back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
Aaand this is why there is no debate: The Black Swordsman arc is required reading; things are confusing without it.

Guts/Puck still have Behi. It has only activated in Black Swordsman. (Well, we assume it wasn't dropped into the sea).

So then, I've thought for a while now that Casca will recover enough to remember she wanted to stay and care for Griffith, (Guts maybe gets pissed at this and throws her Behi or Puck slips the info), and she uses it to transport there. If there's time dilation on the island though, it might change things (and explain the number of expected remaining chapters). Thoughts?

PhantomOfTheCopier fucked around with this message at 23:35 on May 24, 2016

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

PhantomOfTheCopier posted:

Aaand this is why there is no debate: The Black Swordsman arc is required reading; things are confusing without it.

Guts/Puck still have Behi. It has only activated in Black Swordsman. (Well, we assume it wasn't dropped into the sea).

So then, I've thought for a while now that Casca will recover enough to remember she wanted to stay and care for Griffith, (Guts maybe gets pissed at this and throws her Behi or Puck slips the info), and she uses it to transport there. If there's time dilation on the island though, it might change things (and explain the number of expected remaining chapters). Thoughts?

Guts sets up a video camera and records Puck being the demon all along.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Casca going back to Griffith would be the dumbest thing ever.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
It comes from the thing where people think bad poo poo happening all the time = good writing.

7c Nickel fucked around with this message at 07:22 on May 25, 2016

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
True ending to Berserk.

Azan beats up the Godhand, marries a nice lady and they have half a dozen adorable barrel shaped babies.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

If there's time dilation on the island though, it might change things (and explain the number of expected remaining chapters).

Er, wait, what? How many chapters are left?

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

I for one am dying to see what Casca's perspective is going to be once she regains her mind. I wonder if she'll retain her memories of the last two years, because if so she's going to be royally pissed that Guts ditched her in a cave for two years after their last intimate conversations were about Guts taking Casca with him next time he left on a journey. And unless Casca gets her memories of the Eclipse wiped somehow there's no loving way she'd go to Griffith. After all this buildup for having one character finally reenter the story, I'd like it if Casca affects the plot in a way that isn't just "and then she joined Guts's/Griffith's team".

temple
Jul 29, 2006

U-DO Burger posted:

if so she's going to be royally pissed that Guts ditched her in a cave for two years after their last intimate conversations were about Guts taking Casca with him next time he left on a journey.
She is already pissed.

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012

temple posted:

She is already pissed.

she was fine with it, she didnt start hating Guts until he had a weird psycho freak out and almost raped her and bit her on the titty

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

U-DO Burger posted:

I for one am dying to see what Casca's perspective is going to be once she regains her mind. I wonder if she'll retain her memories of the last two years, because if so she's going to be royally pissed that Guts ditched her in a cave for two years after their last intimate conversations were about Guts taking Casca with him next time he left on a journey. And unless Casca gets her memories of the Eclipse wiped somehow there's no loving way she'd go to Griffith. After all this buildup for having one character finally reenter the story, I'd like it if Casca affects the plot in a way that isn't just "and then she joined Guts's/Griffith's team".

Oh I would like Casca to be Casca again but man her going back to Griffith would be the worst result.

Honestly she should be the one to end Grifffith considering but that Ain't happening.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Law Cheetah posted:

she was fine with it, she didnt start hating Guts until he had a weird psycho freak out and almost raped her and bit her on the titty

This is a pretty good way to explain. I'm fairly certain I would hate anyone who bit my titty, and I'm a man, man.:ohdear:

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
Caska should train up to get back the muscle she's lost over the last few years, travel to Falconia, act like she's buying into Griffith's ambition again and then either attempt to stab him directly in the dick or kill Charlotte. I don't care if she's successful, I just want her to have some sort of direct impact in the story on her terms.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

Law Cheetah posted:

So her running away in the cave was just PTSD? And had nothing to do with Guts leaving her there? Are you quite certain that she doesn't hate him more because he tried to tromp on the demon child five seconds after she hatched it?

temple
Jul 29, 2006

So her running away in the cave was just PTSD? And had nothing to do with Guts leaving her there? Are you quite certain that she doesn't hate him more because he tried to tromp on the demon child five seconds after she hatched it?

And tied her up and dragged her across a blizzard?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Caska liked Guts well enough up until he hurt her. She was perfectly willing to follow him around.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
Well follow him around until she saw something interesting that is. After he hurt her he had to basically bind her and pull her until he found other people that could look after her. I'm just worried what they'll have to do to bring back her memory. Will they basically make Caska relive an accept The Eclipse?

Kulkasha
Jan 15, 2010

But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Likchenpa.

Crabtree posted:

Well follow him around until she saw something interesting that is. After he hurt her he had to basically bind her and pull her until he found other people that could look after her. I'm just worried what they'll have to do to bring back her memory. Will they basically make Caska relive an accept The Eclipse?

Man, I hope Miura's done some research on PTSD before that happens.

Franz von Dada
Feb 10, 2014

A Boy and His Parasite
Miura has already admitted writing women characters is challenging for him, I'm willing to bet that figuring out how to handle Casca getting her memories back is the biggest reason for all the delays.

It's going to be a huge turning point for the story, you really don't want to gently caress it up.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
Also remember that the period of time where Casca hasn't hated Guts has been very short. She hates him from the start, yells that it's his fault Griffith was injured with Zodd, hits him when he's hobbling to where the nobles are visiting Griffith.

She stops loathing him a bit when he rescues her from the fall, doesn't want him to leave the Hawks, but then basically goes back to blaming him for Griffith's downfall. She seems to "accept" Guts then, but after the rescue she still (vocally) chooses Griffith.

If memory recovery is to some random previous state, the odds are not with Guts. If she's going to kill Griffith (I'd like to see this, btw) she has to be angry, but did she look angry during the Eclipse (she looks rather "resigned to her fate", "disempowered", which might well be a bit sexist)? Supposing she does recover enough to switch to the mode Guts has afterwards, and is angry enough to seek instant revenge; Behi is there waiting to be activated, and it seems to like despair.

I just can't quite figuring the pacing for that angle. If 380 was ~70%, there's 100 chapters to fill, so there would need to be another boat ride or something. Presumably Rickert needs to get to the secret hiding spot, Casca needs her meds, and there's more for Falconia.

Griffith's pattern in defeat is radical change, and typically not for the better. He just got bitch slapped by Rickert. Is he going to give equal treatment to Rickert (beneath his notice), or are we going to see Griffith's next downfall of his own making?

I realize Gaiseric's kingdom contained some Branded, but I still wonder if the city wasn't destroyed by the four cardinal spirits. That would tie with the Shuttle/Farnese angle a bit.

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Helim needed to be invisible.
If I'm not misremembering, Guts or Casca using a behelit has been explicitly addressed - since they're Branded, they can't.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
Man.

If only Miura put in as much effort into Berserk as goons did.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

Man.

If only Miura put in as much effort into Berserk as goons did.

He does, but he directs it to the art instead of the writing :v:

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
For the past hour day, Miura has been shading one link of chainmail.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

LordMune posted:

If I'm not misremembering, Guts or Casca using a behelit has been explicitly addressed - since they're Branded, they can't.

I still wonder who's going to use the one Guts carries around. So far Puck has been playing with it a lot, so I was theorizing that once the traveling party starts dying he'll use it in a tragic attempt to save everyone.

Kulkasha
Jan 15, 2010

But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Likchenpa.

Archer666 posted:

I still wonder who's going to use the one Guts carries around. So far Puck has been playing with it a lot, so I was theorizing that once the traveling party starts dying he'll use it in a tragic attempt to save everyone.

I don't think a non-human can use a Behelit though, it's more or less explicitly meant to gently caress with humans and cause human misery. Puck's made of magic or Od or whatever, I don't think Evil God gives two shits about tainting his type.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
If Guts and Caska are out, then that would have to be Farnese or Serpico right? The kids don't have the necessary cruelty.

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003
the anime is premiering on july 1st http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2016-05-26/new-berserk-tv-anime-july-1-premiere-character-visuals-revealed/.102504

Kulkasha
Jan 15, 2010

Serious Frolicking posted:

If Guts and Caska are out, then that would have to be Farnese or Serpico right? The kids don't have the necessary cruelty.

Farnese sacrificing Serpico would be too on the nose, I think. I honestly don't think Miura's going to gently caress with the central cast like that anyway, it would just be retreading old thematic ground a la Griffith.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

LordMune posted:

I think this is a self referential goonthought, though I'd be satisfied with a primary reference.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

LordMune posted:

Then why the gently caress is Slan interested in him using the Behelit he was carrying when she manifested in the Troll Arc? I think the whole branded can't use them bit is only because they usually loving die before they can find or use one. And yet Guts has struggled and survived for so long even Griffith is still sort of interested in him rejoining the Neo Band of the Hawk because Guts is a loving powerful as hell entity as a mere human now aided by magical poo poo. If he finally sacrificed and likely became his Beast of Darkness, motherfucker would probably be worse than Zodd.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
It is exceedingly unlikely for Guts to beat Griffith in a fair fight now. If he became an apostle it would instead become impossible.

But then, it seems much more likely that Griffith will be brought down by his own hubris. Not even a god that governs fate can make a lasting utopia. If Guts ever wins on any level, it will by kicking Griffith while he is down.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Serious Frolicking posted:

It is exceedingly unlikely for Guts to beat Griffith in a fair fight now. If he became an apostle it would instead become impossible.

But then, it seems much more likely that Griffith will be brought down by his own hubris. Not even a god that governs fate can make a lasting utopia. If Guts ever wins on any level, it will by kicking Griffith while he is down.

Wasn't Griffith's current power described as a story-writer who's writing the story while starring in it? So everything would always go well for him, unless someone hosed with the laws of reality on an extremely meta level.

Maybe that's why Miura is on hiatus so often, he's afraid of Guts coming out of the pages to kill him.

logger
Jun 28, 2008

...and in what manner the Ancyent Marinere came back to his own Country.
Soiled Meat
I thought the only thing the brand means with regards to the behelit is that Guts can't be used as a sacrifice again by someone else.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Griffith can manipulate humans in all sorts of ways, but he cannot outright control them. Every human living in falconia has free will. Can they topple his rule? Of course not. Dude is a living god with absolute control over an army of monsters. But they can still ruin his pristine little utopia, which is the only thing he cares about.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
Plus he wants to be seen as benevolent a God King. He's created a world where he is likely the only hope for safety for the remaining human population, is trying to control apostle urges to not be murderous poo poo-bags and is likely using every trick at his disposal to likely increase Falconia's reach to make his kingdom the only in the world like the perfect Utopia of his dreams. But like Serious Frolicking said, the best laid plans of fate aren't always iron tight and if Guts and Ganishka have proved anything is that there will always be problems in getting humans and even some apostles to follow it to the letter when the latter have been given the explicit orders of "Do as thou wilt shall be the whole the law" . Especially if the other Godhand are like Slan and they couldn't give a gently caress about whether his little Kingdom succeeds or the machinations of the other Godhand so much as the world is openly theirs to manipulate or torture or whatever they're really into. How to hurt Griffith is to likely strike him as his dream is coming undone or to attack and ruin his perfect little world.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
The brand effectively makes Guts and Casca nonpersons. They can't be sacrificed again since they're technically still on Griffith's tab.

That said, I don't think there's any rule saying they couldn't use the behelit beyond the fact that fate decides who can - or rather, who will.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
i think ganishka was all a part of the plan

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

scary ghost dog posted:

i think ganishka was all a part of the plan

With the way the Idea of Evil is set up, you can make that statement about just about everything. But yes, I think that was explicitly stated about Ganishka.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
i mean considering falconia literally sprung from his head