Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

KozmoNaut posted:

I would have had more, but misunderstood how the "lock file" button my dashcam works. Apparently you have to press it *twice* to actually lock the video :downs:

My dashcam tracks g-forces and when it crosses a threshold (i.e. in the event of an accident), it stops recording, locks the file, and starts recording a new video. As a result, if I see something stupid/funny/cool, I can slap my dashcam to trigger that feature, rather than fiddling about with all those buttons. It also feels like slapping a buzzer in a gameshow when I have discovered the answer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

nm posted:

People who bike on sidewalks are dumb, and I won't defend it. However, better bike infastructure will generally help with that, even with lovely college studebts.

Berkeley has streets that are one way except for bikes and entrances that are blocked except for bikes. There is a lot of bike infrastructure. And none of the people that have hit me are college students. All tech industry hipsters, the last guy was wearing a pair of hot pink Beats

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

If I don't seatbelt my dog in the back, she will playfully attack my hand as I'm trying to shift.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That's not why it's a fail. I mean it's part of it but the real complaint is some idiot is out there rubbing their dog with one hand while the other hand records a video. I guess steering a moving vehicle is a tertiary concern these days.

Optimistically they have an index finger hooked on the wheel which is still loving stupid.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

nm posted:

People who bike on sidewalks are dumb, and I won't defend it. However, better bike infastructure will generally help with that, even with lovely college studebts.

Anecdotal but I live in one of the top cities in the world when it comes to being bicyclist friendly , cyclists are still morons that cycle on the sidewalk. I've been lucky and only hit once, but near misses aren't by any means rare.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

xzzy posted:

That's not why it's a fail. I mean it's part of it but the real complaint is some idiot is out there rubbing their dog with one hand while the other hand records a video. I guess steering a moving vehicle is a tertiary concern these days.

Optimistically they have an index finger hooked on the wheel which is still loving stupid.

Gotta steer with your knees, man

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

CharlieWhiskey posted:

My dashcam tracks g-forces and when it crosses a threshold (i.e. in the event of an accident), it stops recording, locks the file, and starts recording a new video. As a result, if I see something stupid/funny/cool, I can slap my dashcam to trigger that feature, rather than fiddling about with all those buttons. It also feels like slapping a buzzer in a gameshow when I have discovered the answer.

This is genius. I never thought of that before but of course anytime I have the camera in something people drive like saints. Dont have it? Nothing but assholery.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

MrOnBicycle posted:

Anecdotal but I live in one of the top cities in the world when it comes to being bicyclist friendly , cyclists are still morons that cycle on the sidewalk. I've been lucky and only hit once, but near misses aren't by any means rare.

It wouldn't be so bad if they actually treated the sidewalk as a place where they don't have right-of-way. Like, if you want to bike at a reasonable speed on the sidewalk (when compared with pedestrians) and give way to pedestrians, I don't have a problem with it. It's not a situation where it's safe to be going more than 10 km/h though.

I saw everything from bicycles to motorcycles on the sidewalks in Madrid (well, the wide ones) and I never got almost-hit because the assumption was that, if a pedestrian is in your way, it's your problem, not theirs. You can't simply zip by them, any more than it's acceptable for a car to pass a cyclist on a street without giving adequate space.

evilcat
May 16, 2009

nm posted:

Please inform the students in my city that the bike lanes are supposed to stop them being assholes as i was not too amused by the one who elbowed me out of the way when i was using a crosswalk and had right of way and the road they were on was red both directions and they were riding the wrong way on the wrong side (albeit in the bike lane). But apparently my crossing was too much for them to realize they had to stop for on top of the red, so shove the person and speed up instead.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

evilcat posted:

Please inform the students in my city that the bike lanes are supposed to stop them being assholes as i was not too amused by the one who elbowed me out of the way when i was using a crosswalk and had right of way and the road they were on was red both directions and they were riding the wrong way on the wrong side (albeit in the bike lane). But apparently my crossing was too much for them to realize they had to stop for on top of the red, so shove the person and speed up instead.

This is exactly what I've been saying. It's not the bike lanes that are the problem. It's the bicyclists.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

CharlieWhiskey posted:

This is awesome. What brand/model camera is it? I've been looking at getting one.

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.
Mine also had the g force event sensor but also has an event button so I just push that instead of beating on my camera.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?
In Dallas, you probably share the road with at least one nazi.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4l6SJCOSSSA

Someone's been putting these up on whatever you call these retractable crash barriers. Been removing them as they are found.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

nitrogen posted:

In Dallas, you probably share the road with at least one nazi.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4l6SJCOSSSA

Someone's been putting these up on whatever you call these retractable crash barriers. Been removing them as they are found.

Just be careful you don't get slammed by some moron just looking up from their phone to realize that they need to cut across to not miss their exit. Also, what's that navigation application you got on your phone? I like the look of it.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

WAR CRIME SYNDICAT posted:

This is awesome. What brand/model camera is it? I've been looking at getting one.
My camera was an open-box deal from Amazon and simply says "kdLinks". I'm sure there are better cameras for more than the $100ish I paid.

PenisMonkey posted:

Mine also had the g force event sensor but also has an event button so I just push that instead of beating on my camera.
Yeah, if you wanna be all fancy and not assault your electronics.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?

MrOnBicycle posted:

Also, what's that navigation application you got on your phone? I like the look of it.

The app is Waze:
https://www.waze.com/

I love it for riding, I can pretty much set it and forget it, and it'll announce things to worry about into my helmet speakers, like cops, hazards, traffic, etc.

Google maps is nice, but when i last used it, you had to keep looking at it to get updated information. Waze will actually talk to you.

"Police reported ahead!"

As far as morons not paying attention, on a motorcycle it happens almost daily (much like on a bicycle, I guess.) I posted a video a few days ago of me almost getting sideswiped. If it wasn't close to a bus stop with extra space to my right, i'd probably have been hit.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

nitrogen posted:

The app is Waze:
https://www.waze.com/

I love it for riding, I can pretty much set it and forget it, and it'll announce things to worry about into my helmet speakers, like cops, hazards, traffic, etc.

Google maps is nice, but when i last used it, you had to keep looking at it to get updated information. Waze will actually talk to you.

"Police reported ahead!"

As far as morons not paying attention, on a motorcycle it happens almost daily (much like on a bicycle, I guess.) I posted a video a few days ago of me almost getting sideswiped. If it wasn't close to a bus stop with extra space to my right, i'd probably have been hit.

Oh I have Waze. Mine doesn't seem to look at all as good as yours. I haven't really used it too much though.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

xzzy posted:

When that guy hits something unsecured doggie is going to have a really bad day from eating airbag.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Encountered a lovely person yesterday that apparently learned that whoever approaches a stop sign at a faster speed gets to go first, not whoever arrives first. Yes, this also included barely tapping on the brakes to constitute a "stop".

Congrats, guy! You saved a whole 3 seconds!

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
Every car I see with a passenger with legs on the dashboard (on a car with airbags) makes me shudder. Double if the driver is tailgating like a madman.
Who lets their passenger do this? Someone with an amputee fetish?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I don't know but it scares the poo poo out of me and I won't allow it in my car either. Seems like a great way to get your head busted in by your own lower legs as they shatter your knees.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

kastein posted:

I don't know but it scares the poo poo out of me and I won't allow it in my car either. Seems like a great way to get your head busted in by your own lower legs as they shatter your knees.

Also dislocating your hips. Or at least tens of thousands of dollars worth of medical bills and rehab to repair all the soft tissue that got shredded.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
I don't get people who treat other peoples cars like their own disgusting living room. Leave trash behind, putting feet on the dash, scratching poo poo.
These are the people you share a car with.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

nm posted:

Every car I see with a passenger with legs on the dashboard (on a car with airbags) makes me shudder. Double if the driver is tailgating like a madman.
Who lets their passenger do this? Someone with an amputee fetish?

I saw a chick a few years ago who was driving a cab-forward VW Eurovan with her left foot up and sticking out of the window while she worked the brake and gas with her right.

I don't even think what the airbag leaves behind in a crash would be Euclidean.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Since moving to Southern California, about once a week I almost get hit by some maniac speeding through the parking lot while I'm backing out. Yesterday I was fully half out into the aisle when some joker in an Accord nearly ripped my car in half.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

FogHelmut posted:

Since moving to Southern California, about once a week I almost get hit by some maniac speeding through the parking lot while I'm backing out. Yesterday I was fully half out into the aisle when some joker in an Accord nearly ripped my car in half.

Back in, not out. Yeah, you shouldn't have to, but it will noticeably increase your own personal safety, and that's what's important.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Some lots you really can't easily. You get a tighter turn rate when the steering wheels are on the rear, hence why forklifts have them on the back.

Also here in AZ we only have rear plates and some lots are plate controlled.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

PT6A posted:

Back in, not out. Yeah, you shouldn't have to, but it will noticeably increase your own personal safety, and that's what's important.

Those angled spaces are surprisingly prevalent here.

I mean I should get one of these

but that doesn't prevent people who speed and don't give a poo poo.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Or just buy a new car next year.. 2017 is when all new vehicles are supposed to have a backup camera standard. In the US anyways. :buddy:

The few cars I've driven with them installed tend to have extremely wide angles on the camera so it's pretty easy to see any traffic that's on approach. You just can't watch it constantly because you still gotta make sure you don't smack neighboring cars with your front bumper as you start to turn.

I wonder how long it'll take for "sorry I hit your door because I was fixated on the backup camera" complaints to become the norm.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
it really doesn't matter because people are giant loving idiots and will hit anything and everything in a parking lot

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice
"Sorry I hit your door because my A B & C pillars are thick as tree trunks and my side windows are the size of mailbox slots"

Switching from my '93 VW to my '13 VW, it's almost like I'm wearing blinders. I creeeeeeeep when backing up.

Flint Ironstag
Apr 2, 2004

Bob Johnson...oh, wait

NoWake posted:

"Sorry I hit your door because my A B & C pillars are thick as tree trunks and my side windows are the size of mailbox slots"

Switching from my '93 VW to my '13 VW, it's almost like I'm wearing blinders. I creeeeeeeep when backing up.

Oh yes. I work on cars for a living, and new ones have gotten very blind. Combine that with the increased size of everything on 4 wheels, the ever increasing rate of people texting, I think this thread will always have fodder.

RapeWhistle
May 26, 2009
These are the people you share the track with...

Some knucklehead decided not to stake down his tent in the paddock area. Wind caught tent, tent hit my car REALLY hard.

Fortunately he was really cool about it and paid for the damage without a fight.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
white lincoln, mass plate 721ge6... loving cockbag. will edit in more details later.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

kastein posted:

mass plate

Kind of all the details we need.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Even by mass standards this guy was an oblivious self important twunt. He was bumbling along blocking the left lane blathering on his phone, when I managed to find a gap and try to pass on the right he floored it and blocked me, matching my speed. When I finally passed him he flipped me off (zero hands on the wheel) and swerved across 3 lanes of traffic while still on the phone, nearly taking my rear bumper off, then cut someone off and took an exit. All without signaling because he needed that hand for his phone and also Massachusetts.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I'm always willing to give the other driver the benefit of the doubt. Not because it's more likely that they weren't trying to be an rear end but it helps me keep my sanity.

Have you considered that he might have just been trying to get into a better lane to exit the highway when you suddenly started to match him as he tried to pass you? That would make me want to flip off another driver too.

No excuse for the phone, though.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

If he hadn't spent the previous 3 miles with his head up his rear end and his phone glued to his ear pissing off the dozen people tailgating him, he might have realized he was about to miss his exit sooner and not "had" to race me to move over, which continued for about 0.5-1 mile. Further, once I was trying to pass him, there was plenty of space behind both of us and since he was taking an exit very shortly, he could have simply slowed the gently caress down (or continued doing the same speed he was doing blocking everyone AND JUST MOVED OVER) and moved over easily.

He's still a twunt.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Fair enough. He shouldn't be in the passing lane less than two miles from his exit anyways.

I've got a good one. This morning I was on my way to work when a light down the road from me turned red in a 4 lane divided road. Theres a guy in front of me and the lane to the left is open so I go there so I have a clear lane when the light turns green. A guy in the left lane 100 or so feet behind me doesn't like this so he speeds up to try and block me out. Its too late and I get in anyways. We're sitting at the light with a car to my right and the mad guy behind me. The light turns green and I start to go. I go significantly quicker then the guy to my right so I can get over and let mad guy by. My right turn onto a highway on ramp is coming up so I need to get over anyways. The guy sitting behind me merges over and starts tailgating. I begin to accelerate to see if I can create a little room. He continues to match my speed all the way up to 58mph in a 35. The on ramp is here and this guy is also getting on. I decide this guy is a shithead and don't slow down for the cloverleaf on ramp whose recommended ramp speed is 25mph. I hit the corner hard and grip it but the guy behind me skids like crazy into the very forgiving shoulder. When he regained control he got back into the lane. This time he kept his distance into the highway. But still all mad, he decides to start undertaking everyone from the travel line out of sight.

um excuse me fucked around with this message at 22:21 on May 26, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

um excuse me posted:

Fair enough. He shouldn't be in the passing lane less than two miles from his exit anyways.

I've got a good one. This morning I was on my way to work when a light down the road from me turned red in a 4 lane divided road. Theres a guy in front of me and the lane to the left is open so I go there so I have a clear lane when the light turns green. A guy in the left lane 100 or so feet behind me doesn't like this so he speeds up to try and block me out. Its too late and I get in anyways. We're sitting at the light with a car to my right and the mad guy behind me. The light turns green and I start to go. I go significantly quicker then the guy to my right so I can get over and let mad guy by. My right turn onto a highway on ramp is coming up so I need to get over anyways. The guy sitting behind me merges over and starts tailgating. I begin to accelerate to see if I can create a little room. He continues to match my speed all the way up to 58mph in a 35. The on ramp is here and this guy is also getting on. I decide this guy is a shithead and don't slow down for the cloverleaf on ramp whose recommended ramp speed is 25mph. I hit the corner hard and grip it but the guy behind me skids like crazy into the very forgiving shoulder. When he regained control he got back into the lane. This time he kept his distance into the highway. But still all mad, he decides to start undertaking everyone from the travel line out of sight.

I'm a person you share a road with because I absolutely love teaching shitheads that their land barges or pickup trucks or what have you will absolutely NOT keep up with my old lovely Corolla/Miata/Ninja (the bike is kinda obvious) on the on-ramp as I pull at least a .5g.