Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Firaga
Jan 4, 2005
WHAT YOU SAY
I have an old 2009 white macbook running snow leopard that I use just for running Traktor at home since I don't actually own CDJs and I never have any issues with it, all the problems my friends have had were with newer versions of OSX so I feel like it might have something to do with Apple rather than NI.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
I'm on windows on a slightly outdated version and I can report zero issues, ever.

Sometimes beat grids will act funny, but sound output is 100%.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:
Could also just use your ears...

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

So you guys ever been to a house party where it's open decks? Couldn't imagine bringing a laptop and trying to jump on for 3-4 songs with all that fuckery.

Also if you got some DJ friends I'd suggest doing that. It's p fun to have B2BBQ

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

awoken in control of a lucid deep dream...
Update: had it happen again last night, started dicking around with settings.

Can't change the sample rate on an S8, but if you want to buy a few more minutes, increase the buffer size. It fixes the issue temporarily. The more you increase it, the longer you get before it happens.

You can also switch audio interfaces to internal and back, but of course that drops audio for a couple of seconds. Better than restarting for sure though.

I'll post on NI's forums later and see if I can get a response out of them.

E: this is on latest OS X so that might have something to do with it too.

For me, if I'm doing B2BBQ I just use an iOS device.

Dessert Rose fucked around with this message at 04:02 on May 7, 2016

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

Dessert Rose posted:

For me, if I'm doing B2BBQ I just use an iOS device.

Can't you link in pioneer CDJs into an ipad than use that controller mode to controller them both over ethernet?

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

Not sure about that, I don't know if the HID mode works properly on any iOS apps. Maybe someday Pioneer will release an iOS version of Rekordbox DJ.

I've been practicing on CDJs at a friend's place anyway, because it really is a fantastic fallback - laptop decided today wasn't really a good day? Whatever, jam a key in the slot and party on.

The newer ones have sync buttons anyway, but manual beat matching isn't that hard if you end up on a CDJ800 or something. What I really miss are the loop/beat jump controls - I rely on those a lot.

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

Dessert Rose posted:

Not sure about that, I don't know if the HID mode works properly on any iOS apps. Maybe someday Pioneer will release an iOS version of Rekordbox DJ.

I've been practicing on CDJs at a friend's place anyway, because it really is a fantastic fallback - laptop decided today wasn't really a good day? Whatever, jam a key in the slot and party on.

The newer ones have sync buttons anyway, but manual beat matching isn't that hard if you end up on a CDJ800 or something. What I really miss are the loop/beat jump controls - I rely on those a lot.

If you make your beat grids right and throw some cue points on your tracks. Sync is essentially not needed, it tells you the BPM on the CDJ which is ez mode.
I could've swore that the CDJs that link had some sort of looping features.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYiVE8ZEhKI

I guess it's a newer feature. If I played more hiphop I'd use the poo poo out of looping but house/techno/bass doesn't really need it since they usually have long intros/outros

b0red fucked around with this message at 15:31 on May 10, 2016

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

CDJs have looping features but they are very limited compared to what you can do with Traktor. Being able to resize loops from either end, move the loop back or forward, jump the playhead forward/backward by the loop size, those are the things I really miss on a CDJ.

I didn't even realize I relied on those things as much as I did to patch up my decisions until I spent some time playing on them.

It just requires a different approach: it's significantly harder to decide that you actually wanted to loop the last four bars and make that work. The next four bars are easy enough, so I have to plan ahead more. Also, allowing a loop to develop by shifting it forward requires more focus, since I have to drop the loop and wait until the playhead hits the beginning of the next section to start a new one, instead of doubling the loop length and then halving it from the back sometime when it's progressed.

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

Dessert Rose posted:

CDJs have looping features but they are very limited compared to what you can do with Traktor. Being able to resize loops from either end, move the loop back or forward, jump the playhead forward/backward by the loop size, those are the things I really miss on a CDJ.

I didn't even realize I relied on those things as much as I did to patch up my decisions until I spent some time playing on them.

It just requires a different approach: it's significantly harder to decide that you actually wanted to loop the last four bars and make that work. The next four bars are easy enough, so I have to plan ahead more. Also, allowing a loop to develop by shifting it forward requires more focus, since I have to drop the loop and wait until the playhead hits the beginning of the next section to start a new one, instead of doubling the loop length and then halving it from the back sometime when it's progressed.

You'd think with $1k per CDJ they could match the functionality of traktor with looping but i guess not

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx
I've started getting booked at a techno club that just opened in my area and the table in the booth is comically tall. It's like it was designed as an RSI generator. I may start brining a stool just so I don't rip up my shoulder doing gigs there.

It's weird because the club is owned by a DJ, and multiple DJs have commented on how tall it is so it's not like my standards are out of wack.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

b0red posted:

You'd think with $1k per CDJ they could match the functionality of traktor with looping but i guess not

Things are getting better but they're still very much into making silly money off CDJs and are very careful about what features go into new versions so they don't end up adding better features into their lower end stuff. It's a well oiled machine Pioneer DJ...

gucci bane
Oct 27, 2008

88h88 posted:

Things are getting better but they're still very much into making silly money off CDJs and are very careful about what features go into new versions so they don't end up adding better features into their lower end stuff. It's a well oiled machine Pioneer DJ...

Yeah I went to buy a ddj rx today and found out it works on rekordbox and traktor but not serato ??? not getting my money then assholes.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Harley C posted:

Yeah I went to buy a ddj rx today and found out it works on rekordbox and traktor but not serato ??? not getting my money then assholes.

You want the DDJ SX, S = Serato.

...I have one and can use it with Rekordbox too. Never tried to see if I can get it running with Traktor. But of course because the SX came before the RX, the RX has a couple more features (sequencer and sound filters).

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Pioneer have gone full retard

CDJ/DJM Tour1

quote:

CDJ-TOUR1 will cost $4,999; DJM-TOUR1 will cost $5,999

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Looks pretty neat.

I don't see an issue with the price. If you're a touring musician that's right in line with other pro audio pricing. And if you aren't, you probably don't need all that.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

It seems like it's trying to solve a problem that isn't a problem though, the existing screens on the newer CDJs are decently sized and more than big enough to select files from. That and adding pointless level meters that matter not to a single DJ because I've never seen anyone not peg a DJM into the reds 24/7...

I'm just finding it hard to justify the extra ~$3000 over a 'regular' ol' CDJ 2000 NXS2 for the screen. In anyone's language that price is incredibly over the top.

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic

88h88 posted:

Pioneer have gone full retard

CDJ/DJM Tour1

:lol:

revmoo posted:

you probably don't need all that.

No DJ on Earth, since the beginning of time, needs all of that. Even live musicians/artists with a full group don't need all that poo poo.

mitztronic fucked around with this message at 16:37 on May 25, 2016

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx
Yeah, no touring act is buying that poo poo. They exist entirely so Pioneer can extract more money from festivals that don't know any better.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

The timecode feature is interesting.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
I like the dual-USB-interface and dual-headphone cue paths on the DJM, that's a neat feature. Maybe it will help to alleviate cable mix-ups while the next DJ is setting up... lol.

Seriously though the new converters and AES/EBU output are realistically the only big improvement. Why do they think we need more, bigger screens?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Mister Speaker posted:

Seriously though the new converters and AES/EBU output are realistically the only big improvement. Why do they think we need more, bigger screens?
Pioneer marketing is just jealous of all the brand exposure Apple has been getting for free so the answer is to put a literal wall of glowing Pioneer logos between the DJ and the crowd. Some rich BurnerBro is sure to have them on the playa this year because he can, we'll see how durable they are.

gucci bane
Oct 27, 2008

Dubstep Jesus posted:

Yeah, no touring act is buying that poo poo. They exist entirely so Pioneer can extract more money from festivals that don't know any better.

I would expect they would get supplied with the huge tour systems for free to convince idiots that if they buy them it would make them as good as skrillex

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

I mean yeah it's dumb looking and way overpriced but i've seen a lot of peoples laptops not work or cause some issues. I guess it makes sense if pioneer has these with some sort of 99.99% reliability. The only reason people even still use laptops is so they can have a bigger space to select songs from right? Some of the other features are kind of cool though if you're entire set revolves around flashy gimmicks and lights.

What's even funnier is most of the time the people who need this sort of poo poo for their lights and stuff just do prerecorded sets. Some guy in another forum was talking about how Zomboy (iirc) did some touring and his set was always prerecorded because it had to sync with all the visuals and poo poo he made. So in the end, is it even necessary because you're entire show has to be sync'd up to work with all the insane effects.

idk i'm still just gonna spin records and hopefully pickup an XDJ-1000 soon for those digital only. Which I think still doesn't have FLAC right? loving hell pioneer.

b0red fucked around with this message at 21:57 on May 27, 2016

a neurotic ai
Mar 22, 2012
Big fancy light shows are not an excuse to miss out on a real performance. DJs like Laidback Luke take pride in the fact that their sets are not static, but responsive to the crowd in the way original DJs always aspired to. Some acts go one step further, with Deadmau5 often bringing up synths and stuff to mess with in real time, or Madeon DJing with launch pads and creating live mashups. All these guys manage to still have stellar light productions.

Yeah I get that some guys are producers and not DJs, their specialties are in the studio and not on the stage.. But an entirely pre recorded set takes away from the integrity of the scene imho.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

Then Laidback Luke and whoever can still play on regular CDJs. They're not going to be be forced to use it. It's for the guys like Armin Van Buuren and DVLM who sync their lights/videos with the music.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Ocrassus posted:

DJs like Laidback Luke take pride in the fact that their sets are not static

But that doesn't fix the problem: he's still Laidback Luke.

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

Soon all this poo poo will go away when we get the level of rejection that disco had.

Baltimore club is coming back strong though and I'm super happy about it. Classical trax represent.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Anyone have experience getting the USB port on a CDJ repaired? My 2000s are way out of warranty, and after moving things around today I found out that one of the ports is nonfunctional. It's not impacted or broken off of the circuit board, one of the pins is just bent. Wading through the Pioneer messageboards yielded mixed answers. Seems to me it would probably be a simple repair to someone handy with a soldering iron but I don't know.

a neurotic ai
Mar 22, 2012
These are expensive pieces of kit, and unless you have a bit of experience cracking things open, identifying what does what and doing some precious soldering, I would try and get it looked at by someone.

In other news, after watching some amazing drum and bass sets this weekend (Andy C, shy fx, sigma) I'm going to put a few of my own together. Moving from 120-140 bpm house up to 170-180 bpm drum and bass is going to be interesting.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Naturally I wouldn't be doing it myself, what I was asking is if anyone has experience getting Pioneer stuff repaired by 'their friendly neighbourhood electrician' or if I should just eat the cost and send it away to the local Pioneer distributor.

Looking for some inspiration spinning D&B? Shameless plug for the mixes I post in the other thread all the time.

Maw
Feb 18, 2013

Mere minutes after discovering the new technology, it was used to send me a crude ASCII dong.

Mister Speaker posted:

Naturally I wouldn't be doing it myself, what I was asking is if anyone has experience getting Pioneer stuff repaired by 'their friendly neighbourhood electrician' or if I should just eat the cost and send it away to the local Pioneer distributor.

Looking for some inspiration spinning D&B? Shameless plug for the mixes I post in the other thread all the time.

I normally mix psy/progressive trance, but I've listened to a few of your mixes (from the DnB thread) and they're pretty sweet, made me consider trying some myself. Nice work!

a neurotic ai
Mar 22, 2012
If you know someone who has a degree in electrical engineering and practical experience, I personally would go for it. Electrical engineers and electricians are subtly different though, one deals with circuits and the other wires up houses.

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx

Mister Speaker posted:

In Atlanta we have a place called Beatlab that most people end up taking their CDJs to for servicing. They're not official Pioneer but end up being better at it the the official service centers in our area :v:

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Ocrassus posted:

Moving from 120-140 bpm house up to 170-180 bpm drum and bass is going to be interesting.

It's not actually any different, if you can beatmatch you can beatmatch. Fun starts when you learn that a lot of drum and bass tunes can be double dropped and you end up running 4 decks and you brain melts under the pressure.

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

88h88 posted:

It's not actually any different, if you can beatmatch you can beatmatch. Fun starts when you learn that a lot of drum and bass tunes can be double dropped and you end up running 4 decks and you brain melts under the pressure.

I wouldn't say if you can beatmatch house & techno that you could easily transition into dnb/jungle. If it's just that predictive boom bap boom bap stuff that people like hospital records put out than yeah you can probably pick it up pretty fast. But once you start getting into the more sporadic and jungle side though it can get pretty difficult because so much is going on that it can be hard to keep track of the beat. My personal method is just focusing entirely on the length of the two breaks and having them start and stop at the same time. I used to try to match up the high hats or the kick or the snare but it would always be to all over the place to handle.

a neurotic ai
Mar 22, 2012

88h88 posted:

I like doing 2 deck drops even with my normal sets and I managed a 3 (the 3rd being a drum loop with a bit of reverb and delay playing in the background).

I played a DnB set at a house party the other night which went down pretty well. Even though the left XLR port on my Numark NV stopped working and I had to use my Scarlett interface instead.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

b0red posted:

I wouldn't say if you can beatmatch house & techno that you could easily transition into dnb/jungle. If it's just that predictive boom bap boom bap stuff that people like hospital records put out than yeah you can probably pick it up pretty fast. But once you start getting into the more sporadic and jungle side though it can get pretty difficult because so much is going on that it can be hard to keep track of the beat. My personal method is just focusing entirely on the length of the two breaks and having them start and stop at the same time. I used to try to match up the high hats or the kick or the snare but it would always be to all over the place to handle.

Horses for courses, I never had any issue doing it as it's the exact same thing just faster.

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

88h88 posted:

Horses for courses, I never had any issue doing it as it's the exact same thing just faster.

can you give an example of what dnb you enjoy blending? just curious.

I usually mix stuff like this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sH0T1OG3DzY

fun fact: i missed an all jungle set from Sully a few weeks ago ; _ ;

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Depends what mood I'm in but it can go from the 'boom bap boom bap' stuff you mentioned, through the video you posted all the way to full on nailcore type poo poo.

This
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-X079aEWKlw

To this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxlPWrMrgNc

There's really no 'usual' mix for me, it varies every time I play. I get bored easily I guess... I recall the London riots a few years back inspired a mix containing an entire 60 minutes of stuff like the latter link, it was pretty tiring but not hard, the noisier it is the easier it is to hide any little mistakes.

edit: I should add here I'm not a drum and bass DJ, I'll play anything and everything depending on how I feel. I've DJd as many funk/soul nights as I have drum and bass/jungle, house, techno, pop, rnb, hip hop...

Your link on the Astrophonica label reminded me I have this somewhere in my collection that I need to spank again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-6vXy_WfIc

Olympic Mathlete fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Jun 20, 2016