Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

Flaggy posted:

How much was the asking price?

All of it went for about $1100. Nobody wanted it with my previous ad that was $800, so I thought I was safe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

evobatman posted:

All of it went for about $1100. Nobody wanted it with my previous ad that was $800, so I thought I was safe.

Nice.

Peacebone
Sep 6, 2007
Is there an adapter of some sort that would take phono input to a receiver's phono input while also sending bluetooth of that feed to another speaker in the house?

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
You'd want some kind of monitor out on your receiver. The signal from the turntable isn't line level, it's very weak and it needs an EQ curve applied to it for it to sound right. It depends on what your receiver has for options.

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer

evobatman posted:

Thats awesome.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Wouldn't there be a bit of a latency from the Bluetooth?

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

odiv posted:

Wouldn't there be a bit of a latency from the Bluetooth?
Yes. Worst case between a quarter and half a second. And good luck finding actual numbers before you buy.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Peacebone posted:

Is there an adapter of some sort that would take phono input to a receiver's phono input while also sending bluetooth of that feed to another speaker in the house?

What are you trying to do? Listen to your record player in 2 zones, one of them on a bluetooth speaker?

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug
The serious collector who bought my old B&O system sent me some pics of a tiny slice of his stuff:

I put out a want-ad for new B&O stuff, and picked up this today:

The tape deck is broken, but who cares. It was from a guy in his 60s who had his hobby room filled with among other nice stuff a Kenwood mini disc player, B&O Century, Pioneer DAT player, some Proton stuff and lots of other nice things.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Now you'll be listening to "My Heart Will Go On" in style!

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
What an organized hoarder.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

evobatman posted:

I put out a want-ad for new B&O stuff, and picked up this today:

The tape deck is broken, but who cares. It was from a guy in his 60s who had his hobby room filled with among other nice stuff a Kenwood mini disc player, B&O Century, Pioneer DAT player, some Proton stuff and lots of other nice things.

My pop had one of these when I was a kid, but it had the blue fabric on the speakers

Dogen fucked around with this message at 19:57 on May 25, 2016

TooLShack
Jun 3, 2001

SMILE, BIRTHDAY BOY!
Some new gear at the shop, finally selling my Sansui AU-919 and will be servicing and cleaning this giant stack of Technics gear. Hooked up to them are a pair of Yamaha NS-1000s and Infinity CS-3009s. Up top is a Technics SL-1700 MK2 that I just serviced, still need to polish the dust cover though.
https://imgur.com/a/wEs4z

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
When Technics gear is done well it looks really nice. I guess they were just apeing Sansui there, but I still dig it. Great looking tuner.

Peacebone
Sep 6, 2007

BigFactory posted:

What are you trying to do? Listen to your record player in 2 zones, one of them on a bluetooth speaker?

Pretty much, yes. My current living situation, I can't run wire without it looking like a disaster. I have a Pioneer SX-770. This gives me the idea of putting a bluetooth transmitter on the headphone out to send to a bluetooth speaker. Probably have latency issues, and not work at all.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Peacebone posted:

Pretty much, yes. My current living situation, I can't run wire without it looking like a disaster. I have a Pioneer SX-770. This gives me the idea of putting a bluetooth transmitter on the headphone out to send to a bluetooth speaker. Probably have latency issues, and not work at all.

So you get all the fuzz and surface noise of vinyl combined with the compressed, telephone quality audio of a Bluetooth connection, over a lovely single speaker 15 or 20 feet away from your phonograph so you have the added bonus of having to get up every 15 minutes to change sides in another room. Sounds like something you read about on Steve Hoffman forums but only dream of experiencing yourself one day.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

If you have AptX support the bluetooth should sound pretty good. http://www.aptx.com/products/browse/categories

sacre
Jan 26, 2007

I recently picked this up at a flea market for 10 euro. It has the leather-style case and some tapes, but its missing the user manual and a wall charger and the microphone is missing the wind sock. After some research it appears to be the early version of the WM-D6 which didn't have Dolby C noise reduction so working out how much its worth is difficult. I've seen the later version WM-D6C go for around £250 - £300. Not that it really matters because I plan to keep it (not that I can think of anything to do with it)

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Pretty neat, I didn't know they ever made walkmans that fancy.

uncle spero
Nov 18, 2011

Bobby couldn't make it...
'till he went fun-truckin'!

taqueso posted:

Pretty neat, I didn't know they ever made walkmans that fancy.

They're pretty rare these days. The 'small-town news reporter from 1992' cosplay crowd snaps them up pretty quick.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug
Well I'm pretty sure I'm closing in on some hoarding diagnosis, but until they catch me and put me away, the rest of you have to suffer with me! At least I only buy ultra cheap stuff, and sell it on with a profit ASAP.

I couldn't sit still on my rear end today, so I went out thrifting. Stolen pics this time, because I'm lazy.

Sony APM-215 speakers, with Super Acoustic Turbo and apparently something called APM technology. They came with Sonys high-end 80s boomboxes, and have square woofers and lots of 80s text on them.

Vector Research VA-1100 integrated amplifier. There seems to be a lot of info about Vector Research online, and they all agree that there is little info about Vector Research online. It has just a button for Loudness, which seems to be just a bass and treble boost.

Sanyo TP 30 turntable, direct drive with auto return. Unfortunately no quartz lock, and the speed controls are all over the place, so they will need some serious deoxitizing. Had a nice newer Sony cartridge and headshell on it.

All in all these things sound great together. They end up with a warm 80s sound, and the speakers and amp REALLY impress me. I tried pushing a bit with some modern MP3s, and it all sounded clear and great.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

evobatman posted:

Sony APM-215 speakers, with Super Acoustic Turbo and apparently something called APM technology. They came with Sonys high-end 80s boomboxes, and have square woofers and lots of 80s text on them.

Vector Research VA-1100 integrated amplifier. There seems to be a lot of info about Vector Research online, and they all agree that there is little info about Vector Research online. It has just a button for Loudness, which seems to be just a bass and treble boost.

I have my dad's college-era Vector Research VT-250 direct drive automatic turntable with an at95E and I love it.

Thing's built like an '80s Volvo and looks like one too.

From this site: http://audiotools.com/dead_d.html

quote:

Damark Industries
Trading company based in Chatsworth, California, USA, and founded in 1967, later in Camarillo, California. Originally I believe the company was mostly occupied with distributing hi-fi and radio products (via mail order ?) but in the latter half of the 70's it started marketing products under their own Vector Research brand, these were noticeably better than most such branding exercises especially in the first few years, in particular the Kyocera sourced CD players and cassette recorders, video recorders sourced from NEC (by far the best OEM supplier of such at the time) and the receivers which were sourced from the Japanese and Taiwanese factories that at the same time were supplying Rotel and NAD with their USA models, these receiver models usually not sold in Europe, and these are the exact same units as provided by the aforementioned companies except for the front facia.

Noticeably VR was selling the receivers at lower prices than the competition and thus gained something of a reputation as a supplier of quality budget hi-fi, but the company was by no means tied to the low end, the most expensive receiver model from the company at the time retailed for around 1000 USD, the loudspeakers and record players from the company were disappointing however. The company was almost exclusively distributed in the southern part of the USA although for a time their products were sold as far away as Australia but notably the company did only own the trademark rights to VR in the US, the quality of their products also took a downturn in the latter half of the 80's in tune with the market and the last products I have been able to find stamped with the VR brand were an inexpensive sub/satellite combination from the early 90's. Getting accurate information on the company itself has not been without problems but it does appear to have gone out of business in 1992/3, however the Vector Research trademark was transferred to a company of the same name and a very similar address to the last one that Damark had at that time but no products manufactured under the VR name have been found that have been attributed to the latter company and last traces of it disappear from official documentation in 2004.

Be warned that there sprung up a number of companies called Damark after 1993, including a telemarketer based in Minnesota that is notorious for charging peoples credit cards without their consent, but there was also at the least a couple of companies that were called Vector Research at a similar time, including a a tiny relay manufacturer.

Those speakers can't be good though, even if they are interesting.

Pairing that receiver with even some good budget modern speakers might bring out a totally unexpected character.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug
help!

this stuff keeps ending up at my house

I don't know how it happens

My wife might leave me

Also got the same RL 60.2 speakers with stands I had before, but in white this time, and needing new straps and some TLC.

uncle spero
Nov 18, 2011

Earlier in the thread a kind goon advised me to ditch the cart that came with my U-turn Orbit for an AT95E. Did just that and it's had a chance to break in. Definitely worth the money as an upgrade. Sounds great.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"
What is a Fisher MT-6115 worth? It doesn't feel particularly well made, but I don't see where any have sold in Ebay in recent times and the parts for them seem to sell.

Also, is there a way to turn it off short of pulling the plug? I cannot find a power switch on it, and 'reject' causes the arm to retract, but the platter keeps spinning

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Dr.Caligari posted:

What is a Fisher MT-6115 worth? It doesn't feel particularly well made, but I don't see where any have sold in Ebay in recent times and the parts for them seem to sell.

Also, is there a way to turn it off short of pulling the plug? I cannot find a power switch on it, and 'reject' causes the arm to retract, but the platter keeps spinning

It should stop spinning when the arm is retracted. I bet it uses an IR LED as a sensor and the LED is dead. Aside from repairing it, your best option is probably an in-line power switch that you could keep within easy reach.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"
Ah, thanks. I have a couple other nicer turntables, and the reason I ask is because I am looking to sale this one in a yard sale and didn't know what I should price it at.

SaltPig
Jun 21, 2004

Found someone selling a Dual CS 5000 w/Ortofon cartridge for $250. Is this a good deal? The TT looks like it is great shape.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
Surprised this wasn't already posted over the weekend. Really cool demonstration of an obsolete noise reduction system used for tapes and vinyl in the 70s-80s:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1qtxPSR8q98

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
I use dbx gear every day, but barely recognize the name in all caps.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug
After I sold my B&O 7000, I put out a want-ad for their standing CD player. One guy replied and said I could have his broken one for free as long as I paid shipping!

It's missing a door, and I spent a good couple of hours figuring out routing the wires for the door mechanism and had 3 or 4 tries where I powered it up and they jumped out of alignment, but everything works beautifully now! It also included a Beo4 remote and BeoLab 2500 active speakers.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I took one of the hardest decisions of my life today.

I'm selling all of my modern LPs :emo:

(I'll be keeping the SL-1210 MK2 and all the vintage LPs, though)

uncle spero
Nov 18, 2011

KozmoNaut posted:

(I'll be keeping the SL-1210 MK2 and all the vintage LPs, though)

Congrats, are you having a boy or a girl?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

uncle spero posted:

Congrats, are you having a boy or a girl?

I'm sorry to say that it's just a beer belly :btroll:

I came to the realisation that I literally never play any of my newer vinyl, so it might as well go to people who will appreciate it more.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

KozmoNaut posted:

On SAmart?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I'm in Denmark, so no.

Shadow_333
May 2, 2016

Anyone repaired old Garrard turntables ?
I got my fathers old Garrard a bit ago, I belive its an SP25 MK3.
As the tone arm stops moving inwards after playing half of the record, it is time to take the top off and clean off some old grease.
It looks really great other than that, with minimal wear.

Fake edit: Oh, and i will need a riaa amplifier for my NAD amp aswell. Might get a proper NAD riaa i think.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
The PP-1 was a great NAD phono pre. Not as familiar with their current offerings.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Shadow_333 posted:

Anyone repaired old Garrard turntables ?
I got my fathers old Garrard a bit ago, I belive its an SP25 MK3.
As the tone arm stops moving inwards after playing half of the record, it is time to take the top off and clean off some old grease.
It looks really great other than that, with minimal wear.

Fake edit: Oh, and i will need a riaa amplifier for my NAD amp aswell. Might get a proper NAD riaa i think.

I've fixed a tonearm problem with a DD-75, but the mechanism on that one looks entirely different. You're probably right about the grease.

wa27 fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Jun 23, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadow_333
May 2, 2016

The arm was moving horribly slow when I first tried it, but it has gotten a bit better until it stops. There must be a lot of mechanics going on inside for all of those switches, so something is stuck.