Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Are we sure that's not Taft?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

thoughts as I listen:

dislike workers having consumable charges: this turns a long-term strategic decision into a short term decision, and removes a source of conflict (worker kidnapping)

considering tile improvements compete with districts and wonders for tiles, they had better have big bonuses to yield, not the pissant +1 food or +1 hammer of civ5 improvements, which makes them worth the time and hammer investment. there was a reason you almost always went worker first in civ4

really dislike trade units being responsible for building roads, gently caress you if i need to send trade units to the enemy just to get some freaking roads, and i cant even preemptively wire up the front with roads. at least roads seem to look nicer

decimal units for your empire-wide science/culture just looks weird

crossing rivers no longer consumes all actions, what a shame, i liked that from civ5

forest and hill tiles cost 2 moves to enter, but you need to have 2 moves available at the time you enter. this is going to feel really weird. i wonder how this is going to interact with war: will you be unable to attack if you don't have 2 full movepoints? or can you still attack, but be unable to occupy the tile if the enemy is fully killed? that could work quite nicely, sometimes you don't want to occupy a tile and overextend your unit. and what will be the defensive bonus on hill/forest tiles? civ4's defensive bonuses were way too strong, with +50% on forests, +25% on hills, which stacked, it needs to be higher than civ5's, but not as ridiculous as civ4's

quite like the new tile graphics, everything pops, from hills, to farms, to forests. minimal "bleeding" between tiles, so you know where a hill ends and a flatland begins

like unrevealed tiles having a paper theme, dislike the revealed but fogged tiles reverting to the paper theme instead of simply being darker "normal" tiles

tile overlays and naming is back, thank god

quite like techs getting boosts from performing behaviours on the field

the civic/social policy system sounds pretty cool how you can mix and match, like an expanded version of civ4's. unfortunately, it's going to be hell to balance, unless they go for strong bonuses in general, limited slots to play with, and easy reconfiguration

china's wonder rushing with builders is going to be ridiculous

the diplomacy sounds okay, but this is one of the things that is impossible to judge from press releases

thank loving god buildings no longer cost upkeep, their hammer cost is already an opportunity cost

i hope you can still raze badly placed cities and city states, but considering the district system, im not sure that would even be possible

the "great wall" as described by quill sounds janky as gently caress

uh, yeah, in general, i think civ6 won't be a polish of civ5, but an attempt to do a civ5 on civ5 itself

Phobophilia fucked around with this message at 17:07 on May 25, 2016

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK
Lots of interesting stuff in that video but I think I'm most pleasantly surprised by unit/landmark naming. The graphics also look much better in-context, but I already suspected they would.

Jay Rust posted:

WOW roosevelt got fat

Looks more like a bad allergic reaction to me. Who gave Teddy the crab cakes?

EDIT: Another small detail from IV I'd like to see make a return is letting the quote play the whole way through when you discover a tech/build a wonder/whatever, even if you dismiss the pop up. I know most of Nimoy's lines by heart but I found a Youtube list of all the Civ V quotes and barely recognized any.

Hardcordion fucked around with this message at 16:50 on May 25, 2016

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

Teddy looks like a bull moose

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I think Cleopatra is a bit of a downgrade on Hatsheput but I think them trying to mix up the leaders is encouraging. I like stealth Taft as well.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
FDR would have been a better choice. :colbert:

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

I loved everything I saw, including the graphics now that I've seen them zoomed out and they aren't at that weird angle.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah i just saw the photo of Teddy, got drat that is Taft lol.

I'm glad they brought back Cleopatra, but at the same time, I feel like they took strides in Civ 5 to make them a bit more historically accurate. Wasn't Hatsheput a bigger figure in Egyptian history and empire building than Cleopatra? Cleo is obviously the more recognizable icon, but in the larger theme, I think Hatsheput was probably a more relevant choice. Same for Washington vs Teddy and Elizabeth vs Churchill.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
From the gameplay UI (looking at the little portrait in the upper right), if that's not a placeholder, it appears that China's leader is probably Qin Shi Huang this time?

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I actually really like the map style fog of war.

Jastiger posted:

Yeah i just saw the photo of Teddy, got drat that is Taft lol.

I'm glad they brought back Cleopatra, but at the same time, I feel like they took strides in Civ 5 to make them a bit more historically accurate. Wasn't Hatsheput a bigger figure in Egyptian history and empire building than Cleopatra? Cleo is obviously the more recognizable icon, but in the larger theme, I think Hatsheput was probably a more relevant choice. Same for Washington vs Teddy and Elizabeth vs Churchill.

Basically? Cleopatra lived closer to the time of the moon landing than the building of the pyramids, for perspective. I think the leaders are a really superficial part of the civs anyway though and I'd take variety over having the same leaders again and again. Also, considering some of the civ v leaders might not have even existed, I don't think it's a ridiculous downgrade or anything.

E: I legitimately think they're going for all new leaders this time, which is awesome.

EE: also the new culture system sounds cool, overall very excited.

Jump King fucked around with this message at 17:19 on May 25, 2016

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

E: I legitimately think they're going for all new leaders this time, which is awesome.

Sorry, but Cleo was in Civ 3. Religious/Industrious.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I'm guessing all the leaders are going to be a little fat; it's the new style.

Not thrilled with TR as the American leader choice. I just thought there are better choices like Lincoln or even Nixon if they want to go the modern, cynical route.

They already emphasized exploration and adventure as a thematic idea driving the game's presentation, so Teddy fits the bill. But I just think TR is one of the most overrated presidents by internet goons.

And no surprise, China's a civ. I haven't finished the video yet, but I wonder what leader they'll pick. Han Wudi?

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

berryjon posted:

Sorry, but Cleo was in Civ 3. Religious/Industrious.

All new from civ iv and v :colbert:

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

I actually really like the map style fog of war.

Basically? Cleopatra lived closer to the time of the moon landing than the building of the pyramids, for perspective. I think the leaders are a really superficial part of the civs anyway though and I'd take variety over having the same leaders again and again. Also, considering some of the civ v leaders might not have even existed, I don't think it's a ridiculous downgrade or anything.

EE: also the new culture system sounds cool, overall very excited.

Oh definitely, i'm not COMPLAINING about it, I was just pointing it out. I think its fun to have new leaders to mix it up a bit for sure.

For me, I'm super excited but the crux is going ot be diplomacy. I think they are going to knock a lot of the mechanics and world building out of the park. What separates other games like EU4, Endless Legend, from Civ5 is the diplomacy and to a lesser, but still great extent, balance between techs/policies.

Give us good diplomacy that makes sense, give us actually balanced policies (Freedom and Tradition have and will always be the best strat forever and always in Civ 5, hands down), and I think even if they botch some of the other stuff, it'll still be a knock out game.

Also as an aside, is there another expansion coming for Civ: BE?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
There's only so many iconic Egyptian leaders. Hatty, Rameses, and Cleo are by far the most famous, so it's no surprise that they cycle through them routinely.

Much as I would have enjoyed the resulting flamewars, there's no way they would've used Obama for the American civ. I think the most recent leader ever used for any civ was Stalin, with FDR/Gandhi as close seconds. The devs want at least a generation or two to have passed before they'll use a leader; it's just too contentious otherwise.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

There's only so many iconic Egyptian leaders. Hatty, Rameses, and Cleo are by far the most famous, so it's no surprise that they cycle through them routinely.

Much as I would have enjoyed the resulting flamewars, there's no way they would've used Obama for the American civ. I think the most recent leader ever used for any civ was Stalin, with FDR/Gandhi as close seconds. The devs want at least a generation or two to have passed before they'll use a leader; it's just too contentious otherwise.

Also, Obama is alive.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Well technically the most recent American leader used in a Civ game was JFK in Civilization: Revolution 2, but that game was largely a mobile cash grab.

Most recent leader to hold power in a Civ game? Haile Selassie reigned until 1974. Heck I created this timeline for Civ5 if you want to compare when the leaders lived:

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Jastiger posted:

Oh definitely, i'm not COMPLAINING about it, I was just pointing it out. I think its fun to have new leaders to mix it up a bit for sure.

For me, I'm super excited but the crux is going ot be diplomacy. I think they are going to knock a lot of the mechanics and world building out of the park. What separates other games like EU4, Endless Legend, from Civ5 is the diplomacy and to a lesser, but still great extent, balance between techs/policies.

Give us good diplomacy that makes sense, give us actually balanced policies (Freedom and Tradition have and will always be the best strat forever and always in Civ 5, hands down), and I think even if they botch some of the other stuff, it'll still be a knock out game.

Also as an aside, is there another expansion coming for Civ: BE?

Yeah, not exactly sure how i feel about agendas, but if it's easier for the AI to handle then that's good. The gameplay video said the barb combat was better, so hopefully the AI is better overall.

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code
I'm laughing at all of the previous comments that said the graphics look terrible.
This looks awesome in motion. gently caress the haters.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Jastiger posted:

I'd pick Russia JUST to do this. I'd research all the attrition techs, build the Colosseum (which doubled attrition) and watched enemies melt in my territory.

Russia is one of the worst civs in RoN specifically because you could build like 4 supply wagons and be immune.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I was mostly trolling with Obama, just cuz i know it'd cause HUGE flame wars. Obviously they aren't going to have a super recent leader be in the game outside of a few edge scenarios. Sallasie is someone I bet most people hadn't heard of until the game. I know I hadn't, so they probably felt safer including him.

Borsche69 posted:

Russia is one of the worst civs in RoN specifically because you could build like 4 supply wagons and be immune.

Blow up the supply wagons and the enemy army melts. I always had great success with it.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
So builders function like work boats did in Civ 5? That's interesting.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

They seem to be basing their version of Teddy off of his later-in-life image, where he was somewhat portly, although even then not to the degree shown in his design.
Which is unfair really since at just about every other age Teddy wasn't exactly a bodybuilder but he seems to have been relatively fit.

EDIT:

Gort posted:

I'd love cassus belli or some kind of "karma" system where if someone's a dick to you other leaders will overlook you being a dick back in proportion. Someone gets caught spying on you? No warmonger penalty for taking one (1) city from them.

The video notes that you can now have a "just war" where your warmonger penalty is greatly reduced.

Combed Thunderclap fucked around with this message at 18:27 on May 25, 2016

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Combed Thunderclap posted:

They seem to be basing their version of Teddy off of his later-in-life image, where he was somewhat portly, although even then not to the degree shown in his design.
Which is unfair really since at just about every other age Teddy wasn't exactly a bodybuilder but he seems to have been relatively fit.

That the guy on the right actually is Taft just shows how uncharacteristic TR's portrayal is.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

I think Teddy works as the leader of America from a thematic perspective as he was President during the period America started to become more of a global power vs a power in the Americas. Meanwhile, while Washington and Lincoln are more important Presidents to American history, their accomplishments are more in the realm of American history than global history.

Of course, FDR is the obvious in between. But maybe Firaxis thinks he's too political of a choice?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
For those who didn't watch the video:

I dunno, he looks cartoony and his cheeks are comically huge, but otherwise he doesn't look that fat.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Peas and Rice posted:

Yeah that's an odd choice. Given builders will be much harder to yoink, I hope there will be some sort of proper slaving mechanic. I liked nabbing workers.

Not sure about roads either - I mean, naturally-occurring roads (in the sense of not government sponsored) makes sense in the early eras, but I would sincerely hope the player is able to build roads directly at some point, ala Rome.

I'm liking everything else though :swoon:

Benjamin Arthur
Nov 7, 2012

I dunno, he looks cartoony and his cheeks are comically huge, but otherwise he doesn't look that fat.

He just looks American.

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK

Yeah, its all in his face. They've obviously exaggerated it for the caricature but irl Roosevelt had a pretty fat head even in his younger days.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

i think it's that he appears to have no chin, the rest of his body looks fine, the neck area just looks weird

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Hm, I like builders and really like naturally occurring roads.

In civ V you pretty much only needed roads between your cities, so making that process less tedious and more thematic is a nice touch.

As for builders, I'll kind of have to fiddle with that before really making a judgement but I think it presents an interesting divergence from the standard worker method, and there were some cumbersome things about the old method.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
A lot of Endless Legend in this game which is a ridiculously good thing.

Grinning Goblin
Oct 11, 2004

This is Theodore Roosevelt's Presidential Portrait for comparison

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Peas and Rice posted:

Work boats with charges like Great Prophets/missionaries, apparently.

Also, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBdl8YVFK4o

Another new interview; not a lot of new confirmed information, but hints at things like canals, the wide-spread damage of nukes, true start location support (including more South America, perhaps?) and autoplay games.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

Benjamin Arthur posted:

He just looks American.

Russian and Celtic leaders should be drunk then.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
The governments types and policy cards sound really cool

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Jastiger posted:

A lot of Endless Legend in this game which is a ridiculously good thing.

Can you elaborate? I've not played it because the fantasy content doesn't appeal to me, but I'm super curious about the mechanics used in the game.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Can you elaborate? I've not played it because the fantasy content doesn't appeal to me, but I'm super curious about the mechanics used in the game.

There aren't worker units. If you want to build up a resource for extraction, you build the appropriate building in the city queue and on the map it "builds" itself.

Roads are found via researching trade routes and automatically hook up to other cities both in and out of your civ.

Cities have tiles that can be expanded to increase production, tiles worked, and specialize cities. The City itself starts as one tile and can be expanded on over time like they are talking about here in Civ 6. Civ 6 looks to be doing even more specialization than EL did.

It seems that barbarians are going to function somewhat similarly to Neutral Factions in Endless Legend.

Giving civs their distinct personality is similar to EL as well.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Hopefully it doesn't have the bad stuff of EL too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Jastiger posted:

Giving civs their distinct personality is similar to EL as well.

In EL the civs (factions) actually have a lot more then personality differences, each got their own gameplay mechanics.