Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Boyfriend mentioned some places that do dumplings outside ATL, along Buford Highway. Anyone tried em/know anything about the joints or stuff in that area?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
There's a ton of places along Buford Highways that do dumplings. I'll just throw out Good Luck Gourmet and Northern China Eatery as places to try. Chef Liu's used to have good dumplings, but the last time I went there it was mediocre. There's some new place in the space that was the "Ranch 99 Mart" (or whatever it was called) in Asian Square that I've heard is good.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah, he mentioned Northern China. Just figured I'd ask y'all if had any opinions, and that's a good start.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

venutolo posted:

There's a ton of places along Buford Highways that do dumplings. I'll just throw out Good Luck Gourmet and Northern China Eatery as places to try. Chef Liu's used to have good dumplings, but the last time I went there it was mediocre. There's some new place in the space that was the "Ranch 99 Mart" (or whatever it was called) in Asian Square that I've heard is good.

Is there a new grocery store in there? I used to love Ranch 99 Market. Was bummed when it closed.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum

HaB posted:

Is there a new grocery store in there? I used to love Ranch 99 Market. Was bummed when it closed.

I'm not sure. From what I've heard, I'd guess it is a big Asian market that has some food stalls in it, such as the previously mentioned dumpling place.

Max PL
Apr 1, 2012

HaB posted:

There is a new Asian grocery with a food court and attached bakery. Still prefer HMart of Buford highway farmers market though.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

H Harper Station is closing on April 1. I'm pretty bummed. It's a short walk from my place and, while the food or service never really lived up to its potential, the cocktail program has been consistently outstanding since they opened. The Bufala Negra is one of my favorite drinks ever.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Lawen posted:

H Harper Station is closing on April 1. I'm pretty bummed. It's a short walk from my place and, while the food or service never really lived up to its potential, the cocktail program has been consistently outstanding since they opened. The Bufala Negra is one of my favorite drinks ever.

dude we should grab a drink sometime. I had a blast with you a couple times at brickstore years ago, and by all appearances you're stright chillin in the hood. I'm on pearl st.

I am sort of bummed about the closing, but went a couple days ago for dinner and was pretty let down by the food. That said, I ran into a few neighborhood folks I hadn't seen in a minute, and their drinks have been top notch - so yeah, definitely not happy to see them go.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

Found a shockingly good new place in EAV - Gaja, across the street from The Glenwood/Graveyard (shares a building with the sketchy af bodega). It only has a tiny sign and, from the outside, looks like a shithole dive but inside it's a really clean, well designed, hip(ster?) space with banners covered in Korean-language Ramones lyrics. The food ranges from pretty traditional Korean (scallion pancake, roasted rice cakes, galbi) to Momofuku-style "Korean-inspired" stuff (anchovy and peanut brittle, hamburger mixed rice (bibimbap-ish), sweet potato noodles with bone marrow, "corn cheese"). We tried most of the menu and almost everything fell somewhere between good and great. Good beer and shochu options, pretty good wine and cocktail options. Service was also surprisingly great. Prices are very reasonable (our part of the bill was $86 for 3 small plates, 2 entrees, a bottle of wine, and 3 or 4 beers, not bad). If you're in the area, check it out. http://gajaeav.com/

mindphlux posted:

dude we should grab a drink sometime. I had a blast with you a couple times at brickstore years ago, and by all appearances you're stright chillin in the hood. I'm on pearl

Sorry, I somehow completely forget about this thread for weeks or months at a time. We should absolutely grab a drink sometime, I remember you being a cool dude. I'm in Glenwood Park. Be warned though, I've been out of school awhile and my existential philosophy discussion skills have grown weak :)

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
Gaja is great. That and Bread & Butterfly are my two favorite new places.

Eight Dollars
Nov 14, 2012

Pretty pictures in small frames
I was just at Gaja last night and they've taken the kalbi off their menu which :mad:

The fried pork chop was fantastic though.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

venutolo posted:

Have you had the B&B omelette? I've heard it's drat fine rendition of the French style and I'm curious.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum

D.N. Nation posted:

Have you had the B&B omelette? I've heard it's drat fine rendition of the French style and I'm curious.

Yes, it is excellent. Whether or not it is a fine rendition of the French style, I have no idea.

I had already decided days ahead of time that I'm going to eat brunch there this weekend and get an omelette and pancakes. The pancakes are so drat good.

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

Other good things at Gaja:
-Corn cheese
-Limited ramen at the limited time

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

venutolo posted:

I totally missed that you mentioned it a page back.

Haven't been to B&B yet but I've been meaning to. I did stop into Proof a couple weeks ago and tried a bunch of their pastries and they were all great. A guy also brought one of their cakes in to the office and it was one of the best cakes I've ever eaten.

kuskus posted:

-Limited ramen at the limited time

Is that a regular thing? Don't see anything about it on their site or fb. I'd eat their ramen.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum

Lawen posted:

Is that a regular thing? Don't see anything about it on their site or fb. I'd eat their ramen.

Sundays at 11pm at the bar, I think.

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

venutolo posted:

Sundays at 11pm at the bar, I think.

It is not Sunday. Follow the creators on IG to find out. Then the posts will be deleted moments after. I am talking about the "Quik" series ramen.
Labels and varieties change week to week, and there are sometimes only 12 bowls. It is freezedried but premium. Rehydrated at the bar.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum

kuskus posted:

Follow the creators on IG to find out.

Instagram is dumb. :colbert:

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
whats instigram

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Had to catch a morning flight to Philly a couple weeks ago, so I tried the breakfast sandwich at the airport Grindhouse. It was really good! I'd get it again.

mindphlux posted:

whats instigram

It's a thing where you post pictures of food instead of eating it.

Related:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fFzKi-o4rHw

DizzyBum fucked around with this message at 12:09 on Apr 15, 2016

Ferdinand the Bull
Jul 30, 2006

venutolo posted:

I heard from some of my friends that Gaja was lame. Said the bibimbop doesn't even come in a stone bowl. I respect the opinions of goons, so I'll give it a shot.

Proof is delicious. Their Kough Amain is the best bread-thing I've had in recent memory.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum

Ferdinand the Bull posted:

I heard from some of my friends that Gaja was lame. Said the bibimbop doesn't even come in a stone bowl. I respect the opinions of goons, so I'll give it a shot.

If you are going to Gaja and expecting anything like traditional Korean stuff, you are completely missing the point.

e: I can't stop thinking about this. It reminds me someone in the early days of Antico complaining that they didn't have any buffalo wings and that all pizza places should serve wings.

venutolo fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Apr 18, 2016

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

deep breaths mate, we'll get through this

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

oops

Tatsuta Age fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Apr 19, 2016

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
I'm trying. I'm even eating bibimbap right now, and it didn't come in a stone bowl.

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?

venutolo posted:

I'm trying. I'm even eating bibimbap right now, and it didn't come in a stone bowl.

I'm confused by the thought of someone's enjoyment of bibimbap being ruined by the lack of a stone bowl. I'm pretty sure they have non-stone bowls in Korea.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
I agree with your wanting to defend "new wave" restaurants

but I'm personally torn about gaja myself. some dishes have been stellar. but some have fallen flat on their face, korean food wise - even taking in to account the whole 'fusion' thing. like their fried chicken - I might be outspoken on this one, but it didn't deliver for me.

that said, I've been to gaja 4 times, and I'll probably go another dozen regardless, as opposed to <insert PCM/KSM restaurant here> that I have been to one or two times and think is really overpriced and/or boring.

Ferdinand the Bull
Jul 30, 2006

Zenzirouj posted:

I'm confused by the thought of someone's enjoyment of bibimbap being ruined by the lack of a stone bowl. I'm pretty sure they have non-stone bowls in Korea.

My friend who told me was very disparaging f the food in general. This was immediately after we had a conversation about how awesome Sobban was (heard they closed). It can't be that he doesn't like fusion food.

Even so, I will try to go sometime next week and give you all my personal opinion.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE
Is there anyone doing a good laksa lemak or curry laksa over by Little Five Points or Decatur? I used to love Malaya, but it's a bit of a hike for me these days.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

ulmont posted:

Is there anyone doing a good laksa lemak or curry laksa over by Little Five Points or Decatur? I used to love Malaya, but it's a bit of a hike for me these days.

nope

(other than me, in my kitchen, in cabbagetown...) :c00l:

Mammon Loves You
Feb 13, 2011
Does anyone know where you can get dandelion blossoms in Atlanta for making dandelion wine? I looked at Buford Hwy Farmer's Market and couldn't find any. Dekalb Farmer's Market maybe?

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Mammon Loves You posted:

Does anyone know where you can get dandelion blossoms in Atlanta for making dandelion wine? I looked at Buford Hwy Farmer's Market and couldn't find any. Dekalb Farmer's Market maybe?

the shoulders of GA 400 maybe?

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Dekalb doesn't have em.

Windyblade
Oct 17, 2005

I hope we're still friends after I taser you.
A friend in the industry suggested "the Asian market on the way up to Dekalb farmer's market" but couldn't remember the name of it, for what that's worth!

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?

Windyblade posted:

A friend in the industry suggested "the Asian market on the way up to Dekalb farmer's market" but couldn't remember the name of it, for what that's worth!

Probably referring to this place, unless there's another one around there:
https://goo.gl/maps/YdBbVGuwx842

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
I went to raku last weekend, which I had no idea existed.

it's a ramen / yakitori place on the westside, an outpost of umaido apparently? and has been open for like a lot of years?

I wish I had known about it a long time ago, I would have been going regularly. food was excellent, and reasonably priced.

the service was horrendous. worst service I have maybe ever had anywhere in all time.

I knew something was up when we sat down and like 5 tables around us were all craning their necks with trash and empty plates on their table, one guy feebly clutching a visa card in his hand.

took us 15 minutes before anyone even took our order, which the kid got wrong, and forgot half of. and 7 minutes after our food came (or more accurately, was thrown onto our table without a word), I finally got up and just grabbed napkins and utensils...

another table next to us ordered a salad, and the kid said 'oh I wouldn't recommend that salad' - and then just dead silence as the table went :confused:

pretty sure the kid serving us had some sort of mental issues. I hope (and pray) he is a GaTech goon, reading this forum right now. ^_^;;

anyways, it was so bad I had to just laugh about it, but I felt really bad for all the poor people in that restaurant. one really polite chinese couple had clearly been trying to flag this kid down to pay their bill from the moment we walked in the door, and he ended up taking our order before he even noticed them waiving their card. :(

will go again for sure.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

I've only ever had good service at Raku. Actually, they always try to rush me out the door. Probably because I'm Caucasian.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

My search for decent NY-style pizza has finally ended. Found a place called Uncle Vito's. It's a hole in the wall just off Powers Ferry and Windy Hill Rd in Marietta. It's the best pizza I've had in this area.

So now I've got two places to recommend for pizza around Atlanta! (Antico is the other one.)

roobots
Dec 4, 2006

You can only think of Halloween until you die.
Been frequenting Wagaya on 14th a lot lately and I'd say it's the best ramen I've had in town. I tried out Hajime this weekend (it's Umaido but on Cheshire Bridge) and it was good, but I Wagaya is still putting out better bowls.

Wagaya's sushi is another matter. If you order nigiri by the piece it's fantastic. If you order any sushi menu items (like a sushi platter, etc) the cuts are incredibly subpar and not worth the price.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

roobots posted:

Been frequenting Wagaya on 14th a lot lately and I'd say it's the best ramen I've had in town. I tried out Hajime this weekend (it's Umaido but on Cheshire Bridge) and it was good, but I Wagaya is still putting out better bowls.

Wagaya's sushi is another matter. If you order nigiri by the piece it's fantastic. If you order any sushi menu items (like a sushi platter, etc) the cuts are incredibly subpar and not worth the price.

awesome, I'll have to check wagaya out.

Hajime was good, but having just been to raku, I think raku nails it food wise, whereas hajime left me going 'eh' food quality wise. their broth just wasn't up to umaido standards. tons of service issues too, but the byob status (at least, last time I went) was a plus.