Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

YF-23 posted:

That's a pretty stupid wordfilter.

put a bold tab in the middle of it and it breaks the filter

neoliberal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Cat Mattress posted:

That's why a Brexit is important for Europe. Getting rid of Britain could allow to give a less neolib direction to the EU. It's a long shot (I think we should also kick Germany out to have a real chance) but it's definitely impossible as long as the UK has a word to say.

The chief austerity proponents in the EU are the Germans, not the Brits. Britain not being in the Euro is frankly one of the big problems with the EU, they were supposed to act as mediators between France and Germany, and they aren't, so that relationship is dysfunctional

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Charlie Mopps posted:

Did it result in full-time jobs so people can afford to live a decent life and start a family? Or was it all temporary and/or part-time jobs?

Because here in the Netherlands that is mostly the result of the attempts to reform the labor market. Loads of jobs with a guarantee of 0 hours a week and perhaps more if you offer blood to the employer gods. And loads of people who used to have a job but are now forced to be independent contractors, like postal deliverers, and thus no longer legible for say unemployment benefits unless they take out their own (very expensive) insurance.

Well, it did lead to more full-time jobs (increase in number of full time jobs started in 2006) and you can life of those jobs and provide for a family, though it might be difficult to feed 3 dependents with only one wage earner, but I don't think that should be the goal anymore anyway. The fact that families are becoming more dependent on double incomes also explains the increase in part-time jobs, as one of the parents often decides to only work part-time and in certain sectors (e.g. nursing) the proliferation of part-time is actually a problem for the employer not the employees.

As to the 0 hours a week contracts, there are a few sectors in Germany where similar models are used (e.g. call centers) but the employer generally guarantees ~20-30h a week but employees usually have no problems getting to a full 40h week if they wish (or overtime) and the lower guaranteed workload is mostly to reduce payments in case of illness etc. although unions or courts (not sure, I just know that we stopped selling that concept to our customers) have basically abolished those benefits by forcing employers to base the statutory sick pay on the average hours worked not the hours specified in the contract.

GaussianCopula fucked around with this message at 09:10 on May 25, 2016

Pluskut Tukker
May 20, 2012

Greece gets some money, some prospect of debt relief after all important upcoming elections will have safely passed by:

Reuters posted:

The euro zone gave Greece its firmest offer yet of debt relief in what finance ministers called a breakthrough deal that won a provisional commitment from the IMF to return to taking part in the bailout for Athens, heartening investors.

After talks that lasted into the small hours of Wednesday, Eurogroup finance ministers gave a nod to releasing 10.3 billion euros ($11.5 billion) in new funds for Greece in recognition of painful fiscal reforms pushed through by Prime Minister Alexis Tsipras's leftist-led coalition, subject to some final technical tweaks.

But a bigger step forward was a deal under which the euro zone agreed to offer Athens debt relief in 2018 if that is necessary to meet agreed criteria on its payments burden. In the meantime, the currency area's rescue fund was given approval to take steps to smooth out Greece's debt service path.

However, German Finance Minister Wolfgang Schaeuble avoided any immediate commitment to rescheduling Greek debt that would have required him to secure approval from a sceptical parliament in Berlin before a general election next year.

The deal was nevertheless to secure agreement in principle from the International Monetary Fund to rejoin the euro zone in funding the bailout of Greece, subject to its board's approval.

The IMF approval is important since its analysis of the sustainability of Greek debt released yesterday (.pdf) shows to anyone with a remote sense of realism that it is not sustainable in any way, shape, or form, which would preclude the IMF from putting up any further money for loans. So the debt needs to be reduced or written off somehow, and at least officially that is what is going to happen ( spoiler alert: it won't be by enough).

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Pluskut Tukker posted:

Greece gets some money, some prospect of debt relief after all important upcoming elections will have safely passed by:

The IMF approval is important since its analysis of the sustainability of Greek debt released yesterday (.pdf) shows to anyone with a remote sense of realism that it is not sustainable in any way, shape, or form, which would preclude the IMF from putting up any further money for loans. So the debt needs to be reduced or written off somehow, and at least officially that is what is going to happen ( spoiler alert: it won't be by enough).

This Tweet encapsulates the results

https://twitter.com/MMQWalker/status/735316510340722690

But as it's a European decision, everyone is a winner :)

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

It feels like Germany is stonewalling literally any attempts at improving the lives of the suffering Greek population in favour of their preessshhuuuusssss Geld.

If they like gold so much maybe they'll enjoy negotiating with Golden Dawn. :classiclol:

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011

Tesseraction posted:

It feels like Germany is stonewalling literally any attempts at improving the lives of the suffering Greek population in favour of their preessshhuuuusssss Geld.

If they like gold so much maybe they'll enjoy negotiating with Golden Dawn. :classiclol:

How does it help the Greek population today when they have to pay a basis points less interest in 2030?

Actually, you can make the point that Germany is helping Greece by forcing their government to continue to reform.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Wow, practically the only thing Tsipras' government had going for it was the prospect of, after the first evaluation, ensuring some form of debt relief. It getting deferred to 2018 (with conditions on top) surpasses my expectations on how much the Eurogroup could poo poo on Greece.

GaussianCopula posted:

Actually, you can make the point that Germany is helping Greece by forcing their government to continue to reform.

gently caress off.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

GaussianCopula posted:

How does it help the Greek population today when they have to pay a basis points less interest in 2030?

Germany is helping Greece's finances, it's not helping Greece's citizens. There are human beings suffering while Germany counts its cash.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

YF-23 posted:

Wow, practically the only thing Tsipras' government had going for it was the prospect of, after the first evaluation, ensuring some form of debt relief. It getting deferred to 2018 (with conditions on top) surpasses my expectations on how much the Eurogroup could poo poo on Greece.

Haha, is if there ever was any limit. They're capable of anything at this point short of marching an army into Athens.

MiddleOne fucked around with this message at 12:16 on May 25, 2016

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011

Tesseraction posted:

Germany is helping Greece's finances, it's not helping Greece's citizens. There are human beings suffering while Germany counts its cash.

The Eurogroup is giving Greece another €10B and if Greece thinks it would be better off without the Euro, they should have taken Schäuble's offer.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

GaussianCopula posted:

The Eurogroup is giving Greece another €10B and if Greece thinks it would be better off without the Euro, they should have taken Schäuble's offer.

"Sophie's choice."

TheIllestVillain
Dec 27, 2011

Sal, Wyoming's not a country

julian assflange posted:

Last week Hollande announced income tax cuts (absolutely nothing to do with the election next year) and then the news this week is that he told his ministers to cut another €2bn. Ecology, Science & Research the worst hit.

Do the PS pay attention to the polls at all cause they look they will get absolutely wrecked next year.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

TheIllestVillain posted:

Do the PS pay attention to the polls at all cause they look they will get absolutely wrecked next year.

There was a quote from an unnamed advisor to Hollande floating around Twitter yesterday. To paraphrase: if Hollande backs down on this bill, he's screwed in 2017. I don't know what planet they live on.

My guess is that they're banking on Hollande facing off against Marine Le Pen during the second turn of the presidential elections.

Edit: Or they're hoping making more empty promises will work. They brought up the idea of letting foreign residents vote in local elections, again. That's been a recurring promise since 1981.

Kassad fucked around with this message at 13:11 on May 25, 2016

Nyandaber Z
Apr 8, 2009

Shazback posted:

The opposition to the 49-3 (motion de censure) does not call for a new election (legislative election). I don't know where you got that idea from. It merely calls for a new government to be selected by the President.

If the PS frondeurs had voted the motion de censure, nothing would have stopped Hollande from selecting the exact same government and giving them the exact same policy, which would/could have lead in a quasi-eternal loop of "government uses 49-3 to try to pass the law", "parliament censures the government", "government resigns", "president nominates the exact same government with the same policy"...

More likely, it would have forced Hollande to denounce the "centrist/social-democratic" policies of Valls and Macron, and negotiate with the frondeurs/écologistes/far-left to find a new policy and government, whist renouncing to the law in its current form.

The president can dissolve the parliament whenever he wants, which calls for new legislative elections. That would be a terrible move though so unless Hollande went crazy it wouldn't happen.

But the PS leader at the parliament announced that any PS deputy voting against the government would be instantly excluded from the party, meaning the frondeurs would be on their own to get reelected at the next elections, and they can't count anymore on the PS finding them a comfy backup spot. It's easy to blame the frondeurs for talking the talk and not walking the walk, but ultimately the problem lies in how our political life is structured. Getting a mandate is less about your qualifications for the job, and more about how you can climb the ladder in a political party. Being excluded from the PS would pretty much ruin or at least damper the career of the frondeurs.

Shazback
Jan 26, 2013
The opposite argument can also be made. If the frondeurs toppled the government, given the very poor polling numbers the PS has and the primary process (I'm going to guess Hollande doesn't force himself as candidate of his policy is disavowed on top of everything else), there's a good chance that the current centrist PS will be dead before the elections. Macron will be the last survivor, given that Valls probably won't get much more support from the PS electorate than he did 5 years ago.

Chances are that the PS would try to shift to the left wing of the party, around Aubry and other PS bigwigs who have been critical of the Valls governments. They'd go into the 2017 elections with the line that Hollande & Co. didn't understand the electorate (or betrayed it once in power), and present themselves as "real left" following the "failure of social democratic policies". In this new PS the frondeurs would be pretty much rock stars, and even if they fail to be elected, the party will find them a cozy job, unlike in the current situation where if they're not elected (very, very likely given the latest polls, and even more so with this law passing) they'll be blackballed for having "disrupted/failed to support/etc. the PS government and president".

It just doesn't seem likely to me that the support of the PS will be enough to get these few people elected, and if they fail they'll not be in a much better position for having toed the line rather than taking a stand.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
Hungarian_democracy.wtf
https://twitter.com/EuropeElects/status/735512945216606208
That's Orban's "illiberal democrats" in first place with 41% of the vote and the literal-fascist-party-with-uniformed-paramilitaries in second place with 27%.

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012
What's the deal with Hung Gary

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Interesting that Europe Elects is tweeting from Israel.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

Tesseraction posted:

Interesting that Europe Elects is tweeting from Israel.
Why is that any more or less interesting than them tweeting from any other part of the world?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

LemonDrizzle posted:

Why is that any more or less interesting than them tweeting from any other part of the world?

I just figured an organisation interested in political polling in Europe would actually be in Europe. I'm well aware it's not a requirement.

Maybe Israel's keeping an eye on the countries where an anti-Semetic far-right are popular like Hungary and so Europe Elects works on the Visegrad group polling from there.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011

Tesseraction posted:

I just figured an organisation interested in political polling in Europe would actually be in Europe. I'm well aware it's not a requirement.

Maybe Israel's keeping an eye on the countries where an anti-Semetic far-right are popular like Hungary and so Europe Elects works on the Visegrad group polling from there.

Nope. It's a German student who is currently studying in Haifa, but nice try.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

GaussianCopula posted:

Nope. It's a German student who is currently studying in Haifa, but nice try.

I... don't understand what this is meant to be a nice try about? Are you trying to claim I'm anti-Semitic?

Lagotto
Nov 22, 2010

Tesseraction posted:

I... don't understand what this is meant to be a nice try about? Are you trying to claim I'm anti-Semitic?

Interesting..... why would you think anybody is trying to claim you are anti-Semetic?

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away
Tell us about your mother

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Lagotto posted:

Interesting..... why would you think anybody is trying to claim you are anti-Semetic?

Because it's GC and he has three repeating topics: Greece deserves to starve, drown the refugees so he doesn't have to pay for them, and Israel are unimpeachable.

If he wasn't trying to imply something he wouldn't have had that little 'nice try' on the end. If he's going to accuse me I'd rather he do it outright.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011

Tesseraction posted:

Because it's GC and he has three repeating topics: Greece deserves to starve, drown the refugees so he doesn't have to pay for them, and Israel are unimpeachable.

If he wasn't trying to imply something he wouldn't have had that little 'nice try' on the end. If he's going to accuse me I'd rather he do it outright.

It's more the fact that Orban is probably a lot less anti-semitic than most of the refugees coming to Europe, which makes your implication that Israel would have setup a twitter account to monitor the developments of right-wing populists rather laughable.

http://www.jpost.com/Diaspora/Refugees-bring-anti-Semitism-to-Europe-451385

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

On a lighter note, are there any Spanish goons around? Particularly from Madrid or Barcelona. I'm curious as to their thoughts on the new mayors.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Tesseraction posted:

On a lighter note, are there any Spanish goons around? Particularly from Madrid or Barcelona. I'm curious as to their thoughts on the new mayors.

Don't be surprised to find that they lack a mayor opinion.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

GaussianCopula posted:

It's more the fact that Orban is probably a lot less anti-semitic than most of the refugees coming to Europe, which makes your implication that Israel would have setup a twitter account to monitor the developments of right-wing populists rather laughable.

Have you heard of Jobbik? They're the second group down on the polling. Orban is a dumb racist dipshit but it's Jobbik that Jewish people would have something to be fearful of. They're both holocaust deniers and holocaust fetishists.

And I didn't say 'Israel set up a Twitter account' I said that the group behind Europe Elects could have had an Israeli office because Israel was willing to provide funding. It's hardly unlikely that a nation of a historically discriminated group wouldn't be interested in the rise of people wanting to re-do the holocaust.

Extreme0
Feb 28, 2013

I dance to the sweet tune of your failure so I'm never gonna stop fucking with you.

Continue to get confused and frustrated with me as I dance to your anger.

As I expect nothing more from ya you stupid runt!

Isreal set up my twitter account.

I keep seeing dead bodies.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

icantfindaname posted:

The chief austerity proponents in the EU are the Germans, not the Brits. Britain not being in the Euro is frankly one of the big problems with the EU, they were supposed to act as mediators between France and Germany, and they aren't, so that relationship is dysfunctional

Have you seen our government? If we (the UK) were in the Euro our chancellor would be lining up with the Germans telling Greece to suck it.

(Thank goodness we aren't, though; hate to say it but the Eurosceptics were right on that one and we dodged a bullet).

Baxta
Feb 18, 2004

Needs More Pirate

Tesseraction posted:

Have you heard of Jobbik? They're the second group down on the polling. Orban is a dumb racist dipshit but it's Jobbik that Jewish people would have something to be fearful of. They're both holocaust deniers and holocaust fetishists.

And I didn't say 'Israel set up a Twitter account' I said that the group behind Europe Elects could have had an Israeli office because Israel was willing to provide funding. It's hardly unlikely that a nation of a historically discriminated group wouldn't be interested in the rise of people wanting to re-do the holocaust.

Wait... so if you condemn the slaughter of Palestinians, you're antisemitic?

EDIT: Not saying the Hungarians aren't racist, just find it interesting that Israel can apparently commit similar atrocities because they were persecuted in the past.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦

Baxta posted:

Wait... so if you condemn the slaughter of Palestinians, you're antisemitic?

That's always been Israel's position.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-36385778

quote:

'Not such a bad thing'

Mr Valls indicated there might "still be changes, improvements" made to the labour reform laws. But he rejected Finance Minister Michel Sapin's suggestion that Article 2 of the bill could be rewritten. Article 2 gives individual companies the power to opt out of national obligations on labour protection if they feel they need to - something the CGT union fiercely opposes.

German Finance Minister Wolfgang Schaeuble backed the reform, saying: "France can live with such disputes. A certain dissatisfaction of voters with their respective rulers isn't such a bad thing in principle," he added.

Voter dissatisfaction with democratic institutions isn't really such a bad thing. :shobon:

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Do we have confirmation that Schaeuble actually has a soul yet?

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011

Friendly Humour posted:

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-36385778

Voter dissatisfaction with democratic institutions isn't really such a bad thing. :shobon:

Well, the CGT only represents 700,000 members while France has population of ~66,000,000. Just saying.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011

Maybe CGT should stand for election the next time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

GaussianCopula posted:

Well, the CGT only represents 700,000 members while France has population of ~66,000,000. Just saying.

Don't just say, have a point. Now what is it?