Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb

Kazinsal posted:

Wait for someone to put out a non-blower, preferably without a hard power cap at 180W. EVGA or MSI are likely your best bets. Rest assured, when boards are announced, this thread will be all over them.

My money will likely be going towards a Twin Frozr or some high end EVGA card. Or maybe I'll just keep the 290X around for a little longer.

Right on, thanks guys. Do we expect that announcement within weeks or is it gonna be months?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

fletcher posted:

So if I want to get a 1080, which one should I be waiting for?

A big name brand that isn't the lamest cooler, which they usually release first anyway. I'm sure there will be a MSI 1080 8G Gaming (Twin Frozer cooler), EVGA 1080 SC, Gigabyte Windforce (probably want to avoid the G1 variant unless benchmarks say its actually better, but you definitely want the good cooler), ASUS 1080 Strix, to just guess at the big ones.

Naming subject to change and all that what you really want is the good cooler, but not paying more for higher pre-overclocked version of the same card on top of that. There is no way to tell if they are all going to be solid right off the bat but thats the category I'd personally be interested in. In the past they typically retail for $20-$40 over MSRP. Of course I'd wait for actual benchmarks as well but they pretty much get released the same day, and if you can stand being patient enough the "important" benchmarks will be once they compare the different aftermarkets with each other. The big question is 1) did they gently caress it up, which is usually apparent quickly, such as power delivery or badly designed heatsinks (EVGA heatpipe mini fiasco and MSI stickergate come to mind last time around). The less important differences will be relative noise (temp, heatsink/fan design), size of the card, stuff like that, but overall they tend to be splitting hairs.

There will be a mad rush to buy cards so its more like "which one of the good ones can I buy at this instant" and thats the one you get lol

fletcher posted:

Right on, thanks guys. Do we expect that announcement within weeks or is it gonna be months?

As soon as two days (for announcement), but no more than weeks

penus penus penus fucked around with this message at 19:18 on May 25, 2016

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

fletcher posted:

So if I want to get a 1080, which one should I be waiting for?
The cheapest EVGA so you can rip off the cooler and slap an AIO on there and run it like god intended (warranty intact), obviously.

calusari
Apr 18, 2013

It's mechanical. Seems to come at regular intervals.
never understood the love for EVGA. their designs are miles behind other AIBs. yeah, i concede their service is a lot better. but who cares when you can buy from a decent retailer like microcenter or amazon using a CC and never have to deal with RMA anyway.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

calusari posted:

never understood the love for EVGA. their designs are miles behind other AIBs. yeah, i concede their service is a lot better. but who cares when you can buy from a decent retailer like microcenter or amazon using a CC and never have to deal with RMA anyway.

:ssh:

I dont either. They appear adequate. I dislike their model scheme a lot. But its the only major brand I haven't owned so I don't feel like I can poo poo talk with confidence. But yeah, same price tends to get you the a reference board with an ok cooler vs a non reference board with a better cooler with other brands (and im not including the 970 fuckup, I just mean in general).

B-stock is very popular but I mean that's kind of unrelated.

I mean I'll buy one if the price is right and its got the features I want but that just was never the case anytime I was looking. I suppose if I cared about warranty, however I have never once had an issue with... a lot of cards and a lot of those from what are considered poo poo companies. My tune might change if I did experience a real RMA issue

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

calusari posted:

Because their cards, like any, can fail two months in, or a two and a half years in. If that happens, they'll take much better care of you than anyone else. Their cards have the best resale value for this reason as well. I've never used their step-up program but having three months to pay the difference in your invoice amount and get a better model of card is certainly nice, in case NVidia sneaks out a 1080ti.

Lastly, let's not kid ourselves, heat sinks are becoming less and less important because the wattage on cards is dropping dramatically. EVGA's base twin-fan cooler on the 980ti was already passive on 2D and quiet for 3D, and the TDP is cut about a third lower now. They have straight hosed up some coolers like the first batch 970 heatsink contact, but MSI had a similar issue with stickergate. A mediocre twin fan cooler is going to be quieter at load than the pump noise on an AIO.

Edit: also, Protip: buy the cheapest twin-fan model of whichever EVGA card you want, don't bother with the superclock stuff. The 980ti's all overclock within a percent or so of each other, so there's no need to spend an extra $30-100 for the factory OC stuff.

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 20:10 on May 25, 2016

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

I had a 660ti from evga and it died after a year. They cross shipped me a 4gb 760 in like 2 days and I didn't have to pay a dime.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

calusari posted:

Most of it comes from people who like watercooling, since they are one of (if not the?) only manufacturers who explicitly state they will still honor their warranty if you remove the heatsink and watercool, provided you don't actually do physical damage to the card while doing so. Stack on the transferable warranty and it's pretty attractive to people like me, since I can watercool it for the year or so I'll actually own it, and then sell it on eBay or whatever at a solid price because the warranty is still intact.

Their step-up program is also nice. But yeah, from a pure design standpoint they're not really any better than MSI or ASUS, and the last go-'round their initial ACX coolers were crap (2nd gen ones were fine, though).

Zero VGS posted:

A mediocre twin fan cooler is going to be quieter at load than the pump noise on an AIO.
Incorrect, unless you have a poo poo AIO. I strapped a Zalman LQ-320 to mine and it's effectively silent even at max load. Not that the stock twin-fan cooler was loud mind you.

DrDork fucked around with this message at 20:10 on May 25, 2016

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

I'm still undecided what to do about building a very small form factor PC. The best cards are most likely gonna be open coolers so I'll be dumping a lot of hot air into a very small space. Why did NVIDIA decide to gently caress up with a reference cooler/power formula that has been working great for a few generations, and to add insult to injury charge consumers more for this inferior solution.

DrDork posted:

The cheapest EVGA so you can rip off the cooler and slap an AIO on there and run it like god intended (warranty intact), obviously.

This won't solve the power delivery issue on the reference cards. The moment I saw it only had one PCI-E power input, I knew things were gonna be fishy. I hope third parties are gonna re-do the PCB not only for better cooling, but for extra voltage.

Setset
Apr 14, 2012
Grimey Drawer

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

I agree its reasonable to think but, at least they haven't done it so far and they certainly could have

True but MSRPs are a good metric to compare to especially at launch. What happens to street price is a different story of course. What I'm referencing is the launch msrp for 770/970/1070 is $399/$329/$379 , x80's was $600/$550/$600 and x80 Ti's are $699/$649/[???]. Pretty amazing to me honestly, big picture wise, that doesn't get a lot of press over other things. An important note here is they seemingly had no great reason (from a greedy company perspective) to keep prices so flat for this many years after Kepler, which I consider the last gen with true top to bottom competition and yet it had the highest average MSRP's. The 1070 is releasing cheaper than the 770 from 3 years ago.

Smaller fabrication process should lead to cheaper cards, not more expensive ones, since more chips are created using the same size wafer

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
So I've been reading more about open-fan vs blower-fan vs liquid cooled and all that. It seems to me that blowers offer the advantage of a lower profile and consistent cooling, albeit not the best at cooling, whereas open-fan is the best cooling you can get but tends to be really bulky and hard to either SLI or fit in smaller form factor cases. Do I have that right?

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Animal posted:

This won't solve the power delivery issue on the reference cards. The moment I saw it only had one PCI-E power input, I knew things were gonna be fishy. I hope third parties are gonna re-do the PCB not only for better cooling, but for extra voltage.
Agreed, but the reference versions aren't going to be the cheapest--if anything they're going to be one of the more expensive versions until they start dropping things like the Kingpin and other pure excess variants. Looking at the PCB it doesn't seem like they'd have to do much work: there's already a ton of space available in exactly the spots where you'd want to plunk down more VRMs and such. I mean they literally have the lands for another VRM on the reference board and just didn't populate it for whatever reason. Pretty sure NVidia saw this one coming.

Siets posted:

So I've been reading more about open-fan vs blower-fan vs liquid cooled and all that. It seems to me that blowers offer the advantage of a lower profile and consistent cooling, albeit not the best at cooling, whereas open-fan is the best cooling you can get but tends to be really bulky and hard to either SLI or fit in smaller form factor cases. Do I have that right?

More or less. Blowers are great for multi-GPU setups where the motherboard doesn't have the PCIe slots far enough apart to allow for sufficient cooling otherwise, or for people with SFF cases that need to eject the hot air out of the case vice letting it hang around inside. Open air almost always results in better GPU cooling performance, assuming the rest of your setup supports it. Watercooling/AIOs will generally get you the lowest temps and the quietest performance, but are expensive and have their own special snowflake issues.

DrDork fucked around with this message at 20:23 on May 25, 2016

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Zero VGS posted:

Their cards have the best resale value for this reason as well. I've never used their step-up program but having three months to pay the difference in your invoice amount and get a better model of card is certainly nice, in case NVidia sneaks out a 1080ti.

This is probably just two of the reasons I'll buy a 1080 from EVGA in like September or October. You can pretty much assume the 1080 Ti or the new Titan will be out by December. This way I can still sell my 980 Ti for like $400, get the 1080 for +$180, then when the step up is available upgrade for +$150.

Buying a 1080 right now is just a no go for me. I do want to upgrade to 2011-3 for a 6c behemoth with 64/128GB of ram. I would like to try something like unRaid and have like a gaming PC my friend or family members can use while I'm also using it.

SlayVus fucked around with this message at 20:42 on May 25, 2016

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Ninkobei posted:

Smaller fabrication process should lead to cheaper cards, not more expensive ones, since more chips are created using the same size wafer
Cheaper cards for the manufacturers, which tends to translate to higher profit margins for them rather than cheaper cards for us, at least initially.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Ninkobei posted:

Material cost isn't a huge driving factor in the MSRP.

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

Ninkobei posted:

It doesn't always work out this way. Newer, smaller processes also typically have a much higher defect rate, which leads to more waste or a higher number of lower binned chips.

It usually takes a while for manufacturing a chip on a new process to mature enough to the point where it can drastically cut costs down.

excidium
Oct 24, 2004

Tambahawk Soars
Can someone that has done the EVGA step up program please comment on the process? I am looking at just getting the GTX 970 and then upgrading to the 1070 in the next month or two when some non FE come out. Am I safe in assuming that picking up one of the Amazon.com 970s will enable me to do this, and I'll only be expected to pay the difference between the Amazon price and EVGAs website when the 1070s are posted?

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
You upload the invoice from Amazon to your EVGA account you use to register the product. When a step up is available, you can upgrade when EVGA allows you to for price of product minus video card subtotal on your invoice. You'll have to pay shipping & handling for the card to you, I don't know about S&H fees to send the 970 back to EVGA.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

excidium posted:

Can someone that has done the EVGA step up program please comment on the process? I am looking at just getting the GTX 970 and then upgrading to the 1070 in the next month or two when some non FE come out. Am I safe in assuming that picking up one of the Amazon.com 970s will enable me to do this, and I'll only be expected to pay the difference between the Amazon price and EVGAs website when the 1070s are posted?

Correct (plus shipping the card to EVGA). The iffy bits are that EVGA does not guarantee release dates or access to any particular card, so while it's presumed that the 1070 will be part of the step up program, no one knows when they'll enable it, or what tiers they'll have. Conceivably they might not enable it for several months, but I rather doubt it because doing so would entirely invalidate the whole point of the step up program in the first place. More likely, you'll be able to get the 1070 within the 90 day window if you buy one soon, but if supplies are short you'll get put in a queue that may take several weeks before they have a card ready for you. As long as you file the request prior to 90 day, though, you're good even if you file on day 89 and they take 3 weeks to have a step up card ready for you (though in that case do NOT cancel it because you decided you want to step up to something different--on day 91 you're SOL).

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Number19 posted:

It doesn't always work out this way. Newer, smaller processes also typically have a much higher defect rate, which leads to more waste or a higher number of lower binned chips.

It usually takes a while for manufacturing a chip on a new process to mature enough to the point where it can drastically cut costs down.

To further expand on this, it's probably why AMD is heavily leaning on GloFo this generation, as their licensed 14nm FinFET from Samsung is, relatively speaking, quite mature by now.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Ninkobei posted:

The chip cost is tiny though, I think its something like $15 for an actual chip. Its the billions upon billions spent on R&D for the factory, the chip design, the technology involved to get to that point that we are paying for. I think the cooler costs more in materials than the GPU itself in every case, sometimes many times more.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

I wish PNY had a step up program, but I have had great luck with their cards and their lifetime warranty seems to be rather problem free as well. Their cards always seem to be a bit more expensive than everyone else however which can be a pain. It's a battle between them an ASUS but I may have to take a look at EVGA just incase I get a Ti and Nvidia drops something like a 1090Ti for whatever reason within 90 days...

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

excidium posted:

poo poo this is a good idea. I'm considering this myself now...

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

The chip cost is tiny though, I think its something like $15 for an actual chip. Its the billions upon billions spent on R&D for the factory, the chip design, the technology involved to get to that point that we are paying for. I think the cooler costs more in materials than the GPU itself in every case, sometimes many times more.

Testing too. It gets more and more expensive to test and identify defects when you pack more and more transistors in.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Dammit where the hell did this come from? A 15.6" Asus with a 980M? Only MSI was making a really slim sick looking 980M powered 15"er before. drat...
I really want to see this with a 1080M in it though before I bite on something like this.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

Ninkobei posted:

That's actually the part of Moore's law that is breaking down the fastest, the typical increase in transistors/$ for moving to a new process node is going down. I'm guessing that's why the 1070 and 1080 are on a pretty small die, they could have made it bigger and faster but it just would have cost too much at this time.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

EdEddnEddy posted:

Dammit where the hell did this come from? A 15.6" Asus with a 980M? Only MSI was making a really slim sick looking 980M powered 15"er before. drat...
I really want to see this with a 1080M in it though before I bite on something like this.

Sager and Gigabyte also make a similar "980M in a slim profile" laptops. I picked one up last year. Fantastic performance.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

AIDA64 developers posted the full set of Pascal parts and PCI IDs: http://videocardz.com/60289/breaking-news-aida64-developers-confirm-pascal-gp102-gp106-gp107-and-gp108

Confirms that the "Big-ish Pascal" GP102 part exists.

repiv fucked around with this message at 22:55 on May 25, 2016

Encrypted
Feb 25, 2016

Could the newer process be another reason why they don't want to include the extra power? Just so idiots don't too much voltage through the chip similar to sandy bridge vs ivy bridge.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Siets posted:

Sager and Gigabyte also make a similar "980M in a slim profile" laptops. I picked one up last year. Fantastic performance.

Yea I have seen those around, but they all seemed bulkier and more generic. MSI really hit a nice small and powerful look, but their build quality and loudness under load was a bit of a downer. (Though they included everything in there with an optical drive that can be swapped for another HDD which was pretty snazzy).

Will have to see how this Strix laptop plays out and when it gets an upgrade to a 1080M then I might bite on that. The G73JH is starting to show its age and I need to find it a home with someone who likes LoL/Dota/Diablo/whatever as it does that just fine.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!
Also kind of confirms that GP100 is almost entirely meant for HPC, there are two listings for non GL variants.

So it looks like it's going to shake out as GP102 > Vega > GP104 > Polaris 10 ~= GP106 > Polaris 11 > GP107/108 ~= AMD iGPU.

Nvidia can shutdown AMD by potentially offering GP102 at a cheaper price point by using a conventional bus and GDDR5X, despite being a potentially bigger chip than Vega, which will use HBM2 (GP102 is rumored ~470mm² vs Vega's ~380mm²). RIP AMD.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

That's assuming there isn't a Vega 11 that's just GDDR5X being worked on, though, which will likely be the 490/X

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

That's assuming there isn't a Vega 11 that's just GDDR5X being worked on, though, which will likely be the 490/X

The only people who even suggest a Vega 11 are AnandTech, there is no other confirmation whatsoever about a "Vega 11". Also, where would it fit? I guess 3328SPs would fit right into the middle but seems to be a super awkward number to fit to TMUs and ROPs (3328:208:104?), and that'd only just match a 1080, and I'm not going to give AMD that much foresight or benefit of the doubt, sounds more like a desperate pipedream.

Although, humorously, the "Vega in October" rumor would be kind of funny with a Vega 11 release instead of Vega 10.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

I think this is some kind of magic spell that prevents them from ever going under. poo poo, even if they aren't as good, at least this time there will actually be cards ...

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

If they're going to do such a thing it'd probably be mid-2017 until we see it, but the margins on HBM parts if they make it to the 490X branding would be rather low, even at $550.

Setset
Apr 14, 2012
Grimey Drawer

FaustianQ posted:

Nvidia can shutdown AMD by potentially offering GP102 at a cheaper price point by using a conventional bus and GDDR5X, despite being a potentially bigger chip than Vega, which will use HBM2 (GP102 is rumored ~470mm² vs Vega's ~380mm²). RIP AMD.

AMD optimist here - He who controls the consoles controls the universe. AMD is in the very unique position to guide the gaming industry into optimizing for their hardware. Having a chip that rolls over AMD's by 30% is great but if the games are built to use lower powered, multiple core chips then the advantage flows right back to AMD.

e: optimized for AMD's technology, whatever that is. not necessarily "low power multi core chips" .

Setset fucked around with this message at 23:40 on May 25, 2016

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

FaustianQ posted:

Hopefully AMD had the foresight to split the GCN4 design like Pascal, with a native 1:2 FP64 core at the top and native 1:16 or 1:32 cores everywhere else.

If they release Vega 10 dragging a bunch of vestigial FP64 ALUs against a native 1:32 GP102 it'll be a slaughter :stonk:

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

Ninkobei posted:

AMD optimist here - He who controls the consoles controls the universe. AMD is in the very unique position to guide the gaming industry into optimizing for their hardware. Having a chip that rolls over AMD's by 30% is great but if the games are built to use lower powered, multiple core chips then the advantage flows right back to AMD.

e: optimized for AMD's technology, whatever that is. not necessarily "low power multi core chips" .

I don't think this has near as much weight as people like to tout

repiv posted:

Hopefully AMD had the foresight to split the GCN4 design like Pascal, with a native 1:2 FP64 core at the top and native 1:16 or 1:32 cores everywhere else.

If they release Vega 10 dragging a bunch of vestigial FP64 ALUs against a native 1:32 GP102 it'll be a slaughter :stonk:

Nah, seems like from Tonga/Fiji AMD will have a 1:16 1:32 approach. Really, there isn't much reason to have double precision in spades for their designs, no one is picking up FirePro and OpenCL compared to GeForce anything and CUDA. AMD won't compete in Nvidia's space for a long time, if ever.

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

I think this is some kind of magic spell that prevents them from ever going under. poo poo, even if they aren't as good, at least this time there will actually be cards ...

AMD needs to sell "Reaper" and "Peacemaker" editions of their cards to fully integrate the magic spell into their products. Even make the blowers looks like tombstones.

That might actually be good marketing though.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

EdEddnEddy posted:

I wish PNY had a step up program, but I have had great luck with their cards and their lifetime warranty seems to be rather problem free as well. Their cards always seem to be a bit more expensive than everyone else however which can be a pain. It's a battle between them an ASUS but I may have to take a look at EVGA just incase I get a Ti and Nvidia drops something like a 1090Ti for whatever reason within 90 days...

Pny won't even let you transfer warranty

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

Someone in another tech thread said Intel gives money(invests in them or something) to AMD. That would be their magic.