Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Toxxupation posted:

It's a confused criticism because Superboy is set up as a guy who dislikes the "darkening" of heroes in stuff like Identity Crisis, but he's also really violent and a murderer so he's a hypocrite?
Superboy did not come to abolish the law, he came to fulfill it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I don't like things that are intentionally mean-spirited towards the fans. I understand that bad people can like things and probably deserve to have the piss taken out of them, but it still feels really childish. Superboy Prime is just a running gag.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home
He was pretty cool right up through Crisis on Infinite Earths. And historically cool for the twenty or so years after that.

Then Infinite Crisis happened. And then Countdown to Final Crisis Happened. And then Final Crisis: Legion of Three Worlds happened.

So the "inconsistently written" bit is technically true, just not in the way that person meant. And all of the "inconsistent" stuff has come from basically one guy, who had a terrible idea to bring back a character who didn't need to be brought back and ran with it, despite pretty much the entire audience telling him to stop.

Geoff Johns is terrible, is what I'm saying.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
I thought Superboy-prime was sympathetic in a sad/pathetic way until he really embraced the "villain" thing. Maybe locking him in the Speed Force after he turned someone into pink mist was a bad idea.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
There is one Superboy-Prime bit I sort of like, which I believe is in Infinite Crisis #4 during the scene where he fights the Teen Titans, the Justice Society and the Doom Patrol in Smallville, loses control of his own strength and punches Pantha's head off by accident, and the next panel is him looking absolutely terrified, tears in his eyes and blood all over his hands, and he's mumbling something like, "No... I - I didn't mean to do that..." I think those panels work effectively in isolation, although the fact that he's gone full-on evil next time he appears overshadows it.

At the very least, it is better than what Geoff Johns originally wanted that panel to show (Pantha's head flying past Red Star).

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Superboy Prime was good in Sinestro Corp War and Blackest Night.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Die Laughing posted:

Superboy Prime was good in Sinestro Corp War and Blackest Night.
And at his best in Legion of Three Worlds.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Wheat Loaf posted:

There is one Superboy-Prime bit I sort of like, which I believe is in Infinite Crisis #4 during the scene where he fights the Teen Titans, the Justice Society and the Doom Patrol in Smallville, loses control of his own strength and punches Pantha's head off by accident, and the next panel is him looking absolutely terrified, tears in his eyes and blood all over his hands, and he's mumbling something like, "No... I - I didn't mean to do that..." I think those panels work effectively in isolation, although the fact that he's gone full-on evil next time he appears overshadows it.

At the very least, it is better than what Geoff Johns originally wanted that panel to show (Pantha's head flying past Red Star).

Reminder that this is the man that WB are counting on to fix the complaints about the DC movies being too dark.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Been thinking about the FF lately - while Reed's guilt about being responsible for turning Ben into the Thing has obviously been thoroughly explored in the past 50+ years, has there ever been a story where Sue has to reflect on how, in the flashback in FF #1, Ben only consented to join their crew when she accused him of being a coward?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
After reading everything Hickman did from ff through secret wars, I can't believe Reed gave Victor his face back but no one in the entire future foundation thought to make Ben a normal person again when remaking the universe, even though that was literally their first project together.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

site posted:

After reading everything Hickman did from ff through secret wars, I can't believe Reed gave Victor his face back but no one in the entire future foundation thought to make Ben a normal person again when remaking the universe, even though that was literally their first project together.
They remembered what happened the last time they made Ben human.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

You know, there's tons of dudes out there who look normal and are super tough and strong. There's even this one scientist guy who can switch between regular and monster forms.

Of course we can't discount the possibility that Reed Richards is a complete rear end in a top hat.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The Thing is basically trapped by status quo despite the fact makes no real sense and the status quo of him being an unlovable monster is long since dead.

When's the last time anyone even reacted in horror and disgust to The Thing anyway?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

He hasn't looked monstrous since the first handful of issues anyway. His iconic look really just makes him look like a cool action figure. He was a lot lumpier way back in the day, looked pretty unsettling, really.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I haven't read a comic in a long time where Ben was actually moaning about being The Thing rather than just spouting cliches and punching poo poo. Like the whole point of his character arc was never to find his way back to being human, but to stop rejecting himself as he was, so it makes sense not to change him back once he's actually done that.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

There is one problem with being The Thing, though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=goYavO71deA

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.

Lurdiak posted:

There is one problem with being The Thing, though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=goYavO71deA

Have Thing and Rockslide ever hung out?

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

So, has anyone else seen this silliness about Marvel making Captain America be a Hydra plant?

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/05/25/captain-america-villain-hydra-nick-spencer-tom-brevoort

I'm...not enthused.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

10 Beers posted:

So, has anyone else seen this silliness about Marvel making Captain America be a Hydra plant?

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/05/25/captain-america-villain-hydra-nick-spencer-tom-brevoort

I'm...not enthused.

I hadn't seen it before, but now I'm really depressed.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

As someone who mostly reads DC Comics it's almost comforting to see the other guys do something incredibly dumb for a change.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

10 Beers posted:

I'm...not enthused.

This is not a clone, not an imposter, not mind control, not someone else acting through Steve. This really is Steve Rogers, Captain America himself.

So I guess either they're lying/twisting words or it isn't really the Red Skull's fault after all.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
"That hero you liked? He's actually bad."

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

To be fair nobody should like the Captain America of the last 3 or 4 years.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Aphrodite posted:

To be fair nobody should like the Captain America of the last 3 or 4 years.

Racist.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

prefect posted:

"That hero you liked? He's actually bad."

"But we know how symbolic and iconic that hero is, and by saying he's the opposite of what he symbolises, it makes him MORE BETTER as a symbol... or something!"

Edit: Also something about a TV show that had Nazis in it, because WW2.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
These tweets made me feel a little better.

https://twitter.com/DavidUzumeri/status/735498940011839489

https://twitter.com/DavidUzumeri/status/735499023855943684

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
WHAT IF... D00GZ WAS SECRETLY A SKRULL?!

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

Turns out Spider-man was the mugger that killed Uncle Ben the whole time!

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Spidey Sez: "Responsibility is 4 Squarez!"

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
I just wanted to mention that I've been an agent of HAMMER all along, and am now edgier and cooler as a result. This isn't your grandpa's Alien Rope Burn!

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Hail Somethingsensitive.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

ImpAtom posted:

This is not a clone, not an imposter, not mind control, not someone else acting through Steve. This really is Steve Rogers, Captain America himself.

So I guess either they're lying/twisting words or it isn't really the Red Skull's fault after all.
He has done a terrible job helping them out over the years, then.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

redbackground posted:

He has done a terrible job helping them out over the years, then.

Supposedly the idea is that he's from a different cell of Hydra who disagrees with the Red Skull segment and that is why he constantly beats the poo poo out of Hydra, it's Nazi infighting they say is inspired by Man In The High Castle.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

ImpAtom posted:

Supposedly the idea is that he's from a different cell of Hydra who disagrees with the Red Skull segment and that is why he constantly beats the poo poo out of Hydra, it's Nazi infighting they say is inspired by Man In The High Castle.
It's like they picked up all the Stupid that DC is dropping today and shoved it all into one place.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Hell of a gamble for Steve to let himself fall into the ocean in his fake attempt to stop Zemo. Must have been real confident that he'd cryo freeze and be revivable later.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Aphrodite posted:

Hell of a gamble for Steve to let himself fall into the ocean in his fake attempt to stop Zemo. Must have been real confident that he'd cryo freeze and be revivable later.
He is 1 for 1 on that front...

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Just wanted to let everyone here know that even though he isn't a clone, doppelganger, long lost twin, possessed, or mind controlled, Rhyno has secretly been working for DT this whole time.

Mind blown.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

Madkal posted:

Just wanted to let everyone here know that even though he isn't a clone, doppelganger, long lost twin, possessed, or mind controlled, Rhyno has secretly been working for DT this whole time.

Mind blown.

Oh what a not totally played out twist.

Be honest is anybody here not secretly working for DT?

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

ImpAtom posted:

If they're using that as the reference then if they keep following it the "out" becomes pretty obvious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Zachack posted:

If they're using that as the reference then if they keep following it the "out" becomes pretty obvious.

The Spider-Man Lies Heavy?