Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER

Amethyst posted:

http://www.macrumors.com/2016/05/23/macbook-pro-2016-oled-display-touch-bar/

new macbook pro is going to have a little touchscreen strip instead of function keys. sounds extremely good and useful and not a desperate gimmick

Q4? c'mon, thimb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Puppet Master
Apr 9, 2005

Would you fuck me? I'd fuck me. I'd fuck me hard.

i came in here for the dad sale

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

they made one that actually works and is powerful.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Amethyst posted:

http://www.macrumors.com/2016/05/23/macbook-pro-2016-oled-display-touch-bar/

new macbook pro is going to have a little touchscreen strip instead of function keys. sounds extremely good and useful and not a desperate gimmick

I remember when hp first started doing touch strips on their business laptops in like 2007

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Shaggar posted:

I remember when hp first started doing touch strips on their business laptops in like 2007

I do too, and spoiler: they were poo poo

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Just make the keyboard an ipad. Magical. gently caress you.

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

The Puppet Master posted:

i came in here for the dad sale

all dads must go no reasonable offer refused!

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Nice to meet you twenty percent off, I'm Dad.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Displeased Moo Cow posted:

I lived alone, about 20,000 miles from home when I was 19.

I also measure distances the long way around the earth. my daily commute is 24,890 miles.

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007

maniacdevnull posted:

Nice to meet you twenty percent off, I'm Dad.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9OYZ04mCGCo

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Dodoman posted:

dad is selling his 2006 MacBook Pro. he says that it is too slow. I think I will buy it and put an ssd in that fucker

please do not put a ssd in your dad

evilcat
May 16, 2009

maniacdevnull posted:

Just make the keyboard an ipad. Magical. gently caress you.

The iPad Pro Special Edition Limited, buy two and the accessory hinge ($199 and only at apple.com) and one becomes a type cover for the other.
Otherwise if they did it on a regular laptop it will just look like they copied that one awful dual screen Acer laptop.

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Wild EEPROM posted:

When was the last time macrumors was right though

when they correctly predicted every iphone, ipad and mac release in the past 5 years because tim doesn't care about security

though, to be fair, forbes has a better predictive record for future apple releases based on their access to leaks that tim does nothing to stop because of his poor management

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

Sagebrush posted:

what is the current best iconic representation of a save-to-disk command? And how would you differentiate it from a download icon?

what's a disk? just auto save to the cloud

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
my dad was a bit slow in 2006 so i sold him an ssd. now hes macbook pro

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

The Management posted:

I also measure distances the long way around the earth. my daily commute is 24,890 miles.

yeah I just threw something out there it was actually

18,389 km

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I went to college 146km from my birthplace, and grad school 3269km away (as the crow flies)

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Blue Train posted:

ios is ugly as gently caress jesus

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

triple sulk posted:

material design is absurdly better than ios's design

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
windows phone is the best phone design and the hack jonny ives failed in trying to copy it. even goog did a better job.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

windows phone's ui is very good and the one thing that the platform lacks is apps, sadly

even the cheap phones run the os extremely well compared to android phones in the same price range

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

IT IS HARAAM TO SEND SMILEY FACES THROUGH THE INTERNET
how can the platform lack apps!!

it runs windows ios android!!

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

triple sulk posted:

windows phone's ui is very good and the one thing that the platform lacks is apps, sadly

even the cheap phones run the os extremely well compared to android phones in the same price range

nice av. its horning me up just thinking about her perfect cg body

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

triple sulk posted:

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

why don't Windows have apps more

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

i phone

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Displeased Moo Cow posted:

why don't Windows have apps more

it is bad

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

triple sulk posted:

material design is absurdly better than ios's design

material design is ios design with more circles, tiny drop shadows, worse colors and even less contextual info and consistency for users but they made a movie about it so design blind spergs love it

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

shapes with purpose, meaning, direction

*draws a bunch of rectangles*

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

qirex posted:

material design is ios design with more circles, tiny drop shadows, worse colors and even less contextual info and consistency for users but they made a movie about it so design blind spergs love it

lollllllllllllll
Source your quotes plz

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

iOS 7 follows "good design is as little design as possible". it uses colours, gradients, simple shapes and outlines.

Material is as much design as possible. drop shadows, dramatic space, frivolous animations. it's really bad.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

it owns actually and is the best looking mobile os currently available

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Blue Train posted:

it owns actually and is the best looking mobile os currently available

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

PleasureKevin posted:

iOS 7 follows "good design is as little design as possible"
ahahahahahhhhhhhhhhahahahahahahahahahaha

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

windows 10 is the best looking becuase you don't have to worry about things like apps cluttering up its attractive, glass-like interface

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

funny interface

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
I still can't get over how bad the current safari and settings icons are

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

IT IS HARAAM TO SEND SMILEY FACES THROUGH THE INTERNET

The Management posted:

i like them but not mail, weather, and game center

ios icons now have this weird thing that suggest different light angles and shapes. some icons have no gradient and suggest flatness. others have gradients that suggests convexity. others have gradients that suggest concavity.

i guess you have to gently caress up your icons a bit so third party ones don't look too out of place, but i wish things were all flat, or were all convex

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".

Triglav posted:

i like them but not mail, weather, and game center

ios icons now have this weird thing that suggest different light angles and shapes. some icons have no gradient and suggest flatness. others have gradients that suggests convexity. others have gradients that suggest concavity.

i guess you have to gently caress up your icons a bit so third party ones don't look too out of place, but i wish things were all flat, or were all convex

i wonder who is responsible for this...

quote:

First of all, many of the new icons were primarily designed by members of Apple’s marketing and communications department, not the app design teams. From what we’ve heard, SVP of Design Jony Ive (also now Apple’s head of Human Interaction) brought the print and web marketing design team in to set the look and color palette of the stock app icons. They then handed those off to the app design teams who did their own work on the ‘interiors’, with those palettes as a guide.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

The Management posted:

if you do the icon wiggle thing on  TV, the settings app's gears move around all weird and illustrate that the gears could never actually function were they real, in the same way that this observation reveals i have 7th degree aspergers.

• Locked thread