Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

dont respond to bravestofthelamps

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They both have the characters acting dumb so that the fights can happen.

Civil War even has that scene where Falcon reasonably suggests they bring Tony their new info, and Cap refuses because he doesn't want to compromise the airport fight scene says he won't believe him. Later in the movie when Tony gets that information, he immediately goes to help them.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

Civil War even has that scene where Falcon reasonably suggests they bring Tony their new info, and Cap refuses because he doesn't want to compromise the airport fight scene says he won't believe him. Later in the movie when Tony gets that information, he immediately goes to help them.

Probably the funniest thing in CW

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It seems a bit forced to say "a character thinks he can't trust another character and is wrong about that" is inherently bad writing, especially when the film itself reveals it isn't the first time he kept information from Tony fearing his response.

The same also applies to BvS where characters make mistakes in assuming the intentions of other characters.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Aphrodite posted:

Cap is also hiding the fact that Bucky killed Tony's parents from him. Keeping a way smaller secret than that is going to be enough to sour a relationship. Even if he had been justifying it to himself as 'sparing Tony's feelings', on some level it means he's thinking "I can't trust Tony with this information", which is going to turn into "I can't trust Tony". Now, Tony does make some poor decisions all on his own, like trying to keep Wanda confined without getting her consent, but because of Cap's own actions, he really isn't willing to ever give Tony the benefit of the doubt on his mistakes.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Shoulda just wrote a letter when he figured out from Zola about Tony's parents getting murdered. Tony seems to respond well to letters.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Superman has absolute power, and this unsettles people, including Batman and Superman himself. They fight, manipulated by Luthor.

Vs

The establishment wants to supervise and control the Avengers, them the Avengers start fighting over Bucky, and then they fight over Bucky for different reasons, manipulated by Zemo.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 18:18 on May 25, 2016

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Aphrodite posted:

Steve does tell Tony what's up at the airport and Tony's response is "don't care gonna arrest you anyway"

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Superman has absolute power, and this unsettles people, including Batman and Superman himself. They fight, manipulated by Luthor.

Vs

The establishment wants to supervise and control the Avengers, them the Avengers start fighting over Bucky, and then they fight over Bucky for different reasons, manipulated by Zemo.

Superman doesn't fight Batman because of any ideological conflict. He fights Batman because Luthor wants to burn his mother alive (and because Batman won't listen to anything he says and Superman gets pissed about it). The actual conflict of anyone not named Batman is basically brushed aside and Batman's own resolution has nothing to do with absolute power.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Yes, Steve does tell Tony and Tony doesn't take his word for it because he thinks it is a convenient excuse to not bring Bucky in. He also has a time deadline to bring Cap in to Ross and Cap has a time deadline to get to the Hydra base before Zemo (he thinks) is going to activate the other Winter Soldiers.

Tony only believes him after he gets the hard evidence.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
e: nah

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Aug 18, 2016

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Batman sees a possible future in which Superman is a dictator (i.e., somone who wields absolute Power).
As far as he knows, he just has a dream, which is probably the worst reason to go and kill someone.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Batman sees a possible future in which Superman is a dictator (i.e., somone who wields absolute Power).

Yes, and that has nothing to do with the actual fight which is instead about Batman proving he can beat up Superman while Superman desperately begs him to help save his mom, resolved when a chance word means Batman views Superman as a human instead of a god and for some reason that resolves his concerns and he instantly switches to Team Superman.

There's no actual resolution to the "if there's even a 1% chance that he goes bad we have to take it as a certainty" mindset. Batman just decides "Well okay maybe a 1% is worth risking because he isn't that bad a guy and also there's a Doomsday to fight."

The idea of Batman being Bat-Racist and getting over is dealt with in the film. The concerns about a human with absolute power are absolutely not or even handwaved at.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

Superman doesn't fight Batman because of any ideological conflict. He fights Batman because Luthor wants to burn his mother alive (and because Batman won't listen to anything he says and Superman gets pissed about it). The actual conflict of anyone not named Batman is basically brushed aside and Batman's own resolution has nothing to do with absolute power.

The climax of the doomsday fight and then the coffin teaser is about the absolute power issue. Superman is proven to be all good, and all powerful, disproving Lex's theory. The movie doesn't answer the governmental concerns regarding their role in the new superhero world, but maybe Justice League has an answer that.

ImpAtom posted:

There's no actual resolution to the "if there's even a 1% chance that he goes bad we have to take it as a certainty" mindset. Batman just decides "Well okay maybe a 1% is worth risking because he isn't that bad a guy and also there's a Doomsday to fight."

And that's absolutely the right call. Bruce is quoting Dick loving Cheney when he states if there's a 1% chance we must act.

e: It's never supposed to be treated as "right" or the actual argument to engage with because it's patently wrong.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

ImpAtom posted:

Yes, and that has nothing to do with the actual fight

It summarises why he wants to kill Superman.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

MacheteZombie posted:

The climax of the doomsday fight and then the coffin teaser is about the absolute power issue. Superman is proven to be all good, and all powerful, disproving Lex's theory. The movie doesn't answer the governmental concerns regarding their role in the new superhero world, but maybe Justice League has an answer that.

Superman isn't proven to be all-powerful though. That's the entire point of the Batman fight. He loses and in his weakness displays his humanity to Batman. Lex is proven entirely right that someone can't be both all-powerful and all-good but it is also proven that doesn't matter. Superman is a man, not a God, and that is enough. (For Batman, at least.)

MacheteZombie posted:

And that's absolutely the right call. Bruce is quoting Dick loving Cheney when he states if there's a 1% chance we must act

I am aware. That doesn't mean that it is countered. It is supposed to be wrong but the film doesn't actually counter why it is wrong, it just takes it as a given you agree. We see within the confines of the film itself Superman comes a hair away from flipping out and his mother's potential death is hinted at being an extreme Injustice-style breaking point for him.

There's no resolution. It doesn't say anything. It just says "Superman is good!"

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 18:42 on May 25, 2016

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Why do you need to be told that murdering someone out of fear is a bad thing?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Why do you need to be told that murdering someone out of fear is a bad thing?

Because the central premise of the film is that a character needs to be told this and it's worthwhile to actually have them discover it? Especially in the current climate where "they're a risk so we should kill them" is not actually an argument you don't hear regularly.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

Superman isn't proven to be all-powerful though. That's the entire point of the Batman fight. He loses and in his weakness displays his humanity to Batman. Lex is proven entirely right that someone can't be both all-powerful and all-good but it is also proven that doesn't matter. Superman is a man, not a God, and that is enough. (For Batman, at least.)

I was mostly drawing the all powerful point from the resurrection stuff since it effectively shows him as an immortal. I do agree the fight with Batman is purposely used as an example of how Superman can be stripped of his all power status.

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Just give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have.

Wait...wait.

I worry what you just heard was...
"Give me a lot of b4con_n_3ggs."

What I said was...
"Give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have"

...Do you understand?

redbackground posted:

As far as he knows, he just has a dream, which is probably the worst reason to go and kill someone.

Didn't turn out so well for MLK Jr.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

The accords weren't the central conflict, but a backdrop of the setting that helps raise the stakes and back up the movies primary themes or accountability. The central conflict was always concerning Bucky and whether he should be held accountable for his apparent crimes. Tony thought he should be, to lesser or greater extent through the movie, but Cap disagreed knowing they where not his fault.

Fsmhunk
Jul 19, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
He wants to kill superman because he made him feel like a little man. His dialouge during the fight is quite smug, and he takes obvious pleasure in making him bleed with the spear. Then he does a complete 180 because they couldnt end the movie with him still suspicious I guess.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Arctic Baldwin posted:

just saw x-men apocalypse. some pretty fun scenes but takes a while to get going. apocalypse looks and sounds pretty dopey imo

there is an after credit scene but i dont think you should wait to watch it a man goes to the weapon x facility and takes some blood samples from wolverine and a couple other. his suitcase says "Essex"

Well, Sinister is the most 90s of all villains

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

glitchwraith posted:

The accords weren't the central conflict, but a backdrop of the setting that helps raise the stakes and back up the movies primary themes or accountability. The central conflict was always concerning Bucky and whether he should be held accountable for his apparent crimes. Tony thought he should be, to lesser or greater extent through the movie, but Cap disagreed knowing they where not his fault.

That makes sense, but it means that the Avengers are basically a pointless addition to the story about Bucky Barnes and accountability.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

And you certainly can't think of any characters that were pointless additions to Batman v Superman!

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
I could've done without Batman.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

In no way is that a bad thing, and thinking that it is is very stupid.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

twistedmentat posted:

Well, Sinister is the most 90s of all villains

Wrong. Stryfe is

Spoiled that just out of fear that it would trace all the way back to the original spoiler.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

The Lord of Hats posted:

Cap is also hiding the fact that Bucky killed Tony's parents from him.

No he's not. Tony thought his parents died in an accident. Cap knew they were murdered. He didn't know Bucky was the one who murdered them.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

That makes sense, but it means that the Avengers are basically a pointless addition to the story about Bucky Barnes and accountability.

No more pointless than any supporting cast in an action movie. While the characters where obviously included for spectacle, many served notable roles towards the theme. Wanda and Vision are both good people with good intentions causing major accidents with their power. Both Black Panther and War Machine end up victims of unaccounted power, the former finding compromise between vengence and mercy. Hawkeye, Black Widow, Falcon, and War Machine are connected to the conflict due to their relationship with Cap, Tony, and the government agencies they all ostensibly work with, so it makes sense to include them even if they are on the periphery of the conflict. As far as I can tell, Ant-man and Spider-man are the only characters who could be cut out without changing the overall story.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Jamesman posted:

No he's not. Tony thought his parents died in an accident. Cap knew they were murdered. He didn't know Bucky was the one who murdered them.

In Winter Soldier, Steve is literally shown "Howard Stark Dead" followed by a picture of Bucky and Zola says "when people wont do what we say or are out of our control, we have the Winter Soldier take them out".

It's pretty clear he knew there.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Cap didn't know. Whether you choose to believe it's honest ignorance or willful self-deception, that's up to you, but Steve says he didn't know, and there's no reason to disbelieve him at that point.

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

I thought I was going insane for a second.

Cap says he suspected.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

twistedmentat posted:

In Winter Soldier, Steve is literally shown "Howard Stark Dead" followed by a picture of Bucky and Zola says "when people wont do what we say or are out of our control, we have the Winter Soldier take them out".

It's pretty clear he knew there.

inaccurate

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5FZkuu9vII

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
And he did know they were murdered by Hydra, which he declined to tell Tony.

I always figured that that's part of why Tony went berserk. Steve's always been THE stand-up guy and paragon of morality, and Tony grew up with his father constantly talking about how great and wonderful Steve is. Steve admitted that not only did he know Tony's parents were killed by Hydra and didn't tell him but that he's defending the murderer of Tony's parents. The ensuing battle is the sound of a very lofty pedestal falling to the ground.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Cythereal posted:

And he did know they were murdered by Hydra, which he declined to tell Tony.

I always figured that that's part of why Tony went berserk. Steve's always been THE stand-up guy and paragon of morality, and Tony grew up with his father constantly talking about how great and wonderful Steve is. Steve admitted that not only did he know Tony's parents were killed by Hydra and didn't tell him but that he's defending the murderer of Tony's parents. The ensuing battle is the sound of a very lofty pedestal falling to the ground.

The movie also established the death of his parents as really central to his life. It basically frames his greatest regret as not appreciating his parents before they were gone, and here's the source of his greatest shame right in front of his face.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Phylodox posted:

Cap didn't know. Whether you choose to believe it's honest ignorance or willful self-deception, that's up to you, but Steve says he didn't know, and there's no reason to disbelieve him at that point.

No, Cap says he didn't know it was Bucky, but then Tony presses him again and Cap says "Yes."

He lied at first because he was trying to calm Tony down. But after Cap says yes, that's when Tony starts the fight.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

I still see Zola saying "Winter Soldier killed Howard Stark the way he killed Fury" in that clip.

Also this is dumb as poo poo
http://collider.com/x-men-apocalypse-deleted-scenes-jubilee/?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=collidersocial

Of all the major 90s as gently caress X-men, Jubilee is the best after Cable.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Tony makes a move to Bucky just as the tape ends, Cap places his hand on Tony's shoulder, "Tony Tony"

A sullen Tony collects his thoughts for a moment before looking into Cap's eyes, "Did you know?"

Cap, "I didn't know it was him"

Tony, stirring with anger leans in a bit as his eyes brim with tears he's holding back "Don't bullshit me Rogers, did you know?"

Cap, "Yes."

Tony shakes back a step, clearly heartbroken by the news. He gives the moment a pause, then strikes Cap and the fight with Bucky begins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The funniest part of Civil War will always remain the out-of-nowhere random kiss they included just to make sure that the entire film wasn't about Captain America's desperate lust for Bucky, only 99% of it.

• Locked thread