Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax

Franchescanado posted:

I'm only 25 and grew up watching All In The Family, Emergency!, Dragnet, The Munsters, and all those other sitcoms because of Nickelodeon's "Nick at Nite" block and TV Land.

And because of Netflix alone, Freaks and Geeks, Twin Peaks and X-Files are some of my favorites. I think it just depends on the person and what they like?

I also think that reference-dense shows like Family Guy open up younger generations to older shows just due to osmosis and familiarity.

This is pretty much right on the money. This was happening back in the 90's with reference rich shows, like Animaniacs or the Simpsons. Some kids would watch these shows and see a bunch of references to some "old" movies, like the Breakfast Club or Star Wars. These kids would maybe ask parents, friends, or older siblings about these references, because the joke flew over their head. Then their parents, friends, or older siblings would talk about how good these older films were. When these kids had an opportunity to see these things, they would go see them because their interest was already piqued.

Now at days kids have more opportunities to see older media, and have much more resources to hear people talk about them. Their favorite YouTuber may laugh about a Indiana Jones joke while doing a Lets Play, or do a rant against the new Ghostbusters while waxing poetic about the old one.

It mostly depends on whether the kid is good at listening to the background radiation and can connect the dots of which media falls into the "popular classic" realm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dumb.
Apr 11, 2014

-=💀=-

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

umalt posted:

Now at days kids have more opportunities to see older media, and have much more resources to hear people talk about them. Their favorite YouTuber may laugh about a Indiana Jones joke while doing a Lets Play, or do a rant against the new Ghostbusters while waxing poetic about the old one.

It mostly depends on whether the kid is good at listening to the background radiation and can connect the dots of which media falls into the "popular classic" realm.

I didn't think about this aspect. YouTube is full of countdowns for "Funniest Movie Moment", "Best Horror Movie Effects", "Greatest Action Scenes", etc. made up of clips of famous movies. It's a cheap and easy video to make, and lists 10 movies that most people haven't seen.That, and then you have Cracked articles and videos discussing older pop culture and stuff, click-bait articles, Reddit, other poo poo.

Part of Everything
Feb 1, 2005

He clenched his teeh and walked out of the study

Solice Kirsk posted:

Or, you know, cut a block of wood and dremel it out in like 2 minutes.

Come on. That would take something ridiculous like skill.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Looks more like a wedge of cheese.

As for old TV, I used to watch the "Quinn Martin Production" b&w shows like The Invaders and The Fugitive.

spookygonk has a new favorite as of 18:44 on May 25, 2016

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Kikka posted:

Ray Romano cutting onions

Andy Serkis with an extra chromosome

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
So is Hodor dead or what?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

MariusLecter posted:

Hodor.

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

spoiler that poo poo man

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I actually just watched the end of the episode now.

:smith:

KozmoNaut has a new favorite as of 19:59 on May 25, 2016

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

http://butthug.com/post/144919085000/getout

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
You need like an entire Library of Congress worth of context for that to be funny.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

MariusLecter posted:

Y'ever watch a show and you're like "Yeah I really like this show." or at least "Yeah this show is competent." and then something so amazingly, hilariously dumb happens it completely kills any enthusiasm you could ever have for watching the show ever again?

That's what happened in the last episode of Game of Thrones.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

MariusLecter posted:

No more Hodoring.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
more like nodor

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWcZSvqLTDM

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

Make sure y'all's subtitles are turned on.

gently caress birches, get money

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

https://mobile.twitter.com/i/status/734292331688431617/video/1

Strong language warning, be careful if you're watching this at work or something.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
Was Schmorky always this unfunny? I remember laughing at some of his old stuff, but looking through this blog, most of them barely even make sense, let alone actually elicit the hu-mon behavior "laughter."

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

And if you gaze long enough into a nest, the nest will gaze back into you.

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

Was Schmorky always this unfunny? I remember laughing at some of his old stuff, but looking through this blog, most of them barely even make sense, let alone actually elicit the hu-mon behavior "laughter."

I feel the same way. Maybe you need to put on cat ears and poo poo in a diaper to get the new stuff.

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Samfucius posted:

I feel the same way. Maybe you need to put on cat ears and poo poo in a diaper to get the new stuff.

nah, I don't find it funny

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

Yeah, it's even more of a non-sequitar than most Nedroid comics.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Make comics great again!

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Why does Ridley want to turn humans into dinosaurs?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

RyokoTK posted:

He's very lonely.

Daniel Hillard
May 22, 2012

He used both farts and the number 420 - two traditional comedy home runs - and it's still bad

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

Would

A MEGA EXPLODING
Oct 4, 2012

I may be an underachiever, but I do have a name!

no, rock

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

RyokoTK posted:

Because dinosaurs are awesome.

And because Sauron is a complicated character.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

RareAcumen posted:

He's very lonely.

Not a joke answer actually iirc.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Get your rocks off, baby :pervert:

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
i'm sure he could find at least like 20 people willing to be turned into a group of dinosaur friends and then also cure camcer and be like the worlds biggest actual hero. Man depression really does cause people to make bad choices.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Jamesman posted:

Y'ever watch a show and you're like "Yeah I really like this show." or at least "Yeah this show is competent." and then something so amazingly, hilariously dumb happens it completely kills any enthusiasm you could ever have for watching the show ever again?

That's what happened in the last episode of Game of Thrones.

This except it was good

Of course, I'm not bleeding edge enough to hate things because they are popular even when they are "competent"

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Trent posted:

This except it was good

Of course, I'm not bleeding edge enough to hate things because they are popular even when they are "competent"

Take that attitude and get out! I will hold the door.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Choco1980 posted:

No one wants to be the last of their kind. Look at how happy Superman and Martian Manhunter were when they suddenly found out they had another member of their race to communicate with.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Choco1980 posted:

From that same comic:

The shark is X-Men member Shark Girl. Sauron keeps trying to woo her.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Trent posted:

This except it was good

I wasn't implying that people were hating on a show because it's cool to hate popular things. I was saying a normally well-done show went way off the rails and executed a moment so poorly that everyone's making fun of it.

But this isn't really the thread for this.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

RyokoTK posted:

If you found yourself in the same scenario are you saying you wouldn't?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

stubblyhead posted:

If you found yourself in the same scenario are you saying you wouldn't?

Lots of people will be jerking off to your dinosaur transformation, unfortunately.

• Locked thread