Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

CyberLord XP posted:

What's a good setup for bst if I want to aoe stuff to death for merits? I used to cleave in abyssea on War but lol abyssea.
As already mentioned, you will need a good Pet DT set.

You'll want to also get lowest Ready timers, so will need ASA legs, 100 Job Point gift and Charmer's Merlin. From there, get a TP Bonus/Acc+/Att+ set for Physical Ready moves and TP Bonus/Magic Acc/MAB set for magic pet moves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Time to read Zinn
Sep 11, 2013
the humidity + the viscosity
I asked before but I never got a pearl :(

Herewaard
Jun 20, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Time to read Zinn posted:

I asked before but I never got a pearl :(

Just looked for you. I will be around for a few hours if you can log on. I'm Herewaard

Time to read Zinn
Sep 11, 2013
the humidity + the viscosity
I'm about to get on for a few hours too, I'll see.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I have gotten BST to 61. Just because I want to kill Odin.

Place Ad Here
Mar 15, 2005
Hi goons :)

Is this game still terrible?

Gruknor
Feb 23, 2011

Fart Sniffer Connoisseur

Place Ad Here posted:

This game is awful. The only reason we still play is because we have Stockholm Syndrome and FFXI is our gloriously sexy warden.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Oryx is stupid and I hate it.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Place Ad Here posted:

The last time you asked you mentioned you were missing stuff like sky/sea/Dynamis/etc. So that's gonna depend on whether the current endgame content will tickle that fancy. Hopefully someone can answer that.

DizzyBum fucked around with this message at 15:00 on May 27, 2016

Gruknor
Feb 23, 2011

Fart Sniffer Connoisseur

DizzyBum posted:

The last time you asked you mentioned you were missing stuff like sky/sea/Dynamis/etc. So that's gonna depend on whether the current endgame content will tickle that fancy. Hopefully someone can answer that.

Escha Ru'Aun is sky. If you have a ki from one of the Rhapsodies of Vanadiel, the Dynamis lockout timer is either gone or it is about an hour. The timer and time extension system is still there, but you can farm dyna currency with ease. Endgame is easy to get into if you have whm, geo, sch, blm or pld leveled and geared to be decent. You can level and gear other jobs but you will have a harder time doing the higher level stuff, except a few niche mobs. Apex mobs or reisenjima aoe are how people farm job points/capacity points. Job points is sort of like a merit point system only instead of being character wide if you earn the merit point. It is strictly just that job that you earned that job point on. Say I earn 500 job points on my whm, I can't use them on my blm or any other job unless it is whm. I can go on and on.

Herewaard
Jun 20, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
I spent a week as a level 60 PLD getting my AF armor and it was fun af

Gruknor
Feb 23, 2011

Fart Sniffer Connoisseur

Majumbo posted:

I spent a week as a level 60 PLD getting my AF armor and it was fun af

FFXI is a lot of fun. I am glad you enjoyed your week as a 60 pld.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
FFXI is still fun. It just has its moody days from time to time. I mean, hey, it's old.

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

Place Ad Here posted:

Was it ever not terrible?

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Okay, I think I'm going to finally pull the trigger and start up a brand-new character on Asura soon. Since it's been so long, I just need some pointers:

Is there a guide to quickly getting set up with the basics, essential items, and good trusts I should have?

I'm gonna main BST. What are the best subs for leveling and endgame?

Should I just cash in sparks for gear as I level and ignore the AH?

How's the controller support on Steam? When I played way back in the day I never needed to use the mouse since everything was keyboard-driven. I figure that a 360 gamepad would be able to handle whatever I want to do in the game aside from chat, but I'd like to know if that's doable.

Is Windower still a thing and should I be using it? I'd especially like to know if there's any working 60fps hacks.

DizzyBum fucked around with this message at 15:43 on May 31, 2016

Herewaard
Jun 20, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
I started a new character about a month ago so here are some answers.

DizzyBum posted:

Is there a guide to quickly getting set up with the basics, essential items, and good trusts I should have?

Reddit has some decent, recent returning player guides. If you start before this current login-campaign ends you can get Shantotto-II trust and she is a beast as a BLM. Apuuru is the other common suggestion for WHM and he is available all the time if you join his Unity.

Other important things are to touch every homepoint and survival guide you go by. Once you touch them once you can warp to them from any other homepoint or survival guide. You can also use the Unity warp NPC to get to a whole bunch of places without having to make super long runs.

DizzyBum posted:

Should I just cash in sparks for gear as I level and ignore the AH?

You can ignore gear for the most part. Weapon is primarily what you will want to focus on keeping somewhat current. You level so quickly and Trusts do a lot of the heavy lifting so armor is generally a waste. Furthermore you want to both save enough sparks for gear when you get level 99 and you can convert sparks to gil at ~10gil/spark.

DizzyBum posted:

Is Windower still a thing and should I be using it? I'd especially like to know if there's any working 60fps hacks.

Windower 4 is the thing and it has a built-in plugin finder and updater. The game is hardcoded to 29FPS and the best you can do is get it to 58. Pretty sure getting to true 60 is not possible.

I've been playing slowish and minimizing straight grinding and it's been super fun. By accepting and doing missions right when they are available they have been both challenging and leading to levels by just fighting my way to the destination. I am now level 77, full AF, Rank 10 in my home nation and about 1/4 of the way through RoZ. I've been in most of the original + Zilart zones and completed their Record of Eminence for kills, made over 1million Gil and only needed help on one Rhapsodies quest. I. of course, have no interest in current endgame and just want to goof around in Vana'diel doing what I want.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Majumbo posted:

I started a new character about a month ago so here are some answers.

Awesome, thanks!

Yeah, just being able to gently caress around and steamroll over Vana'diel is what I've wanted for a long time.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Does anyone know if Ionis affects fishing skillup rates? Furthermore, is it limited to Adoulin zones?

Cause holy poo poo, taking my fishing skill from 23-27 took me less than an hour, whereas yesterday using Fisherman's Feast it took me the same amount of time to get one skill level. Only difference I could see was Ionis, but then I was in Ronafure so I don't know how it would have helped.

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

I've finally decided to play the game a bit more, and I hadn't really played since god knows when. The leveling definitely seems a lot quicker, since I got from 10 to 30 really easily.

I'm now hitting a new sort of wall, though. I've got gear for my main and sub job which is fine, but it seems inventory space is really tight for if I want to keep equipment for another job beyond those two. My inventory is filled just for my main, and the mog safe is filled with my sub and level 1/10 stuff. I'm working on a mission to get to Rank 3 in San d'Oria . Is there an easy way to see to upgrading that soon, or is that going to be a nightmare/while yet?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
You can upgrade your bag in Jueno, but note you have the Mog Sack and Satchel (one of them comes from having an OTP and upgrades alongside your main bag) which you can access anywhere through the Mog House menu option, Wardrobe 1/2 can be accessed anywhere also and you can equip stuff directly from there and leave your main bag for other doodads.

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

^^^

Alright, thanks! That definitely gives me a lot more to work with. I'm already back in San d'Oria right now, so I guess first up is to go buy myself a Mog Sack.

e: That /sack and /satchel command is huge to me. It's so useful! To think I've also had that extra 30 from the /satchel this entire time, too...

CrashScreen fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Jun 3, 2016

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

Look into the Gobbiebag quests as well. They require some fame to get going, but that's a lot easier these days. Each one raises your inventory by 5, and it upgrades some of your other bags by 5 as well.

https://www.bg-wiki.com/bg/Category:Gobbiebag_Quests

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

BUGS OF SPRING posted:

Look into the Gobbiebag quests as well. They require some fame to get going, but that's a lot easier these days. Each one raises your inventory by 5, and it upgrades some of your other bags by 5 as well.

https://www.bg-wiki.com/bg/Category:Gobbiebag_Quests

If repeat login brings back gobbie stew 880, that's the easiest way to do it at the higher levels with more expensive mats. You can trade 1 stew instead of the 4 mats no matter which level.

Kithyen
Oct 18, 2002
I DON'T KNOW THE BBCODE FOR BIG RED TITLES SO I CAN'T FIX THIS FUCK
Yea I remember some of the mats were expensive for the gobbie bag and I used the gobbie stew for a few of them. Re-subbed to try and finish up all the storyline missions I never got around to as well as Rhapsodies and I forgot how much of a slog a lot of the adoulin questlines/missions are.

Gruknor
Feb 23, 2011

Fart Sniffer Connoisseur

Kithyen posted:

Yea I remember some of the mats were expensive for the gobbie bag and I used the gobbie stew for a few of them. Re-subbed to try and finish up all the storyline missions I never got around to as well as Rhapsodies and I forgot how much of a slog a lot of the adoulin questlines/missions are.

SoA and RoV fights towards the end can be a pain if you are not a certain jobs or have good gear.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

I decided to start a new character. So I'm on Asura as Tavaria, gil plz thx.

So yeah, the game plays a lot better than I remember. Trusts and Records of Eminence go a long way. I already got this elvaan trust for free just for summoning Naji once.

Should I run to the other starting nations, tag all the home points, and get their newbie trusts?

Dreamy Souffle
Feb 22, 2011

Just cause
I like my diamonds bright
ain't saying I'm wrong
or if it's right but baby
I haven't been wrong before

DizzyBum posted:

Should I run to the other starting nations, tag all the home points, and get their newbie trusts?

If you want! They're decent trusts. But if you don't want to spend a day running around, you can check that same RoE tab that gave you Valaineral and keep summoning the trusts it gives you/do the objectives to summon them and you'll get a decently well-rounded party by the end of it. It's tedious, but at least you won't be pressured to run all over the world because Kupipi is the only other non-Unity WHM trust available this early and in Windurst, or etc.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Dreamy Souffle posted:

If you want! They're decent trusts. But if you don't want to spend a day running around, you can check that same RoE tab that gave you Valaineral and keep summoning the trusts it gives you/do the objectives to summon them and you'll get a decently well-rounded party by the end of it. It's tedious, but at least you won't be pressured to run all over the world because Kupipi is the only other non-Unity WHM trust available this early and in Windurst, or etc.

Oh wow, that is super easy. Thanks!

Anyway, I'm online now if anyone's around and can pearl me.

Edit: I have been pearled, thanks Shinjobi!

DizzyBum fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Jun 6, 2016

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Sorry for the double post. Still trying to re-learn things and understand all the new additions.

Am I right in thinking that I should work on the RoV quests as they become available and get them all done ASAP? Seems like the game is pushing me in that direction. I was already able to unlock subjobs with a key item from one of the first quests, so that's pretty awesome.

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

Yeah you want to stay as up to date with RoV as possible. The benefits the key items give are just incredible. Makes everything just way faster/easier.

Gruknor
Feb 23, 2011

Fart Sniffer Connoisseur

BUGS OF SPRING posted:

Yeah you want to stay as up to date with RoV as possible. The benefits the key items give are just incredible. Makes everything just way faster/easier.

Being able to have five trust out at once is worth it just by itself. The Curio Moogles sell echo drops, eye drops, prism powders, sneak oils, food, etc. The list goes on.

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

I'm trying to progress the Journey to Bastok mission right now. I've been asked to mine some Mine Gravel from Palborough Mines. Is there anything I can do to increase the success rate of this? I keep breaking all of my pickaxes on mostly pebbles, and the mining nodes don't seem to stick around for very long. I've been bouncing around the place and mining where I can, but I've been at this for a while now. It doesn't seem to end!

Also, I actually had no idea about RoV so I'm going to have to go and do that myself, too!

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

It was a lot less painful unlocking BST the second time around. gently caress you, Kraken! :hellyeah:

Yesterday I did the Bastok Rank 1-2 mission. I started as BST 1 from Bastok and just fought everything in my way while running from there to the top of Palborough, ended up at BST 19 and got all the fetich pieces. Fun as hell, never felt like I was grinding.

I also appreciate all the readily accessible inventory options. I'm not stressing out about gobbiebag upgrades yet because I don't have to!

CrashScreen posted:

I'm trying to progress the Journey to Bastok mission right now. I've been asked to mine some Mine Gravel from Palborough Mines. Is there anything I can do to increase the success rate of this? I keep breaking all of my pickaxes on mostly pebbles, and the mining nodes don't seem to stick around for very long. I've been bouncing around the place and mining where I can, but I've been at this for a while now. It doesn't seem to end!

Also, I actually had no idea about RoV so I'm going to have to go and do that myself, too!

For that mission, you need to mine a Mythril Seam, not a Mining Point. According to FFXIclopedia, there's one at (F-7) on the first floor and (I-9) on the third floor.

And yeah, definitely work on RoV as you go. From my experience so far it's interwoven with the main story missions so you may want to open your preferred wiki and keep an eye on the requirements. The bonuses you get are game-changing.

DizzyBum fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Jun 10, 2016

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

DizzyBum posted:

I also appreciate all the readily accessible inventory options. I'm not stressing out about gobbiebag upgrades yet because I don't have to!

Yeah, I didn't realise I had triple the inventory space until I posted in this thread. It's been really handy and saves farming for those bags so far.

DizzyBum posted:

For that mission, you need to mine a Mythril Seam, not a Mining Point. According to FFXIclopedia, there's one at (F-7) on the first floor and (I-9) on the third floor.

And yeah, definitely work on RoV as you go. From my experience so far it's interwoven with the main story missions so you may want to open your preferred wiki and keep an eye on the requirements. The bonuses you get are game-changing.

Well. That'll explain why I'm not getting the item I need... I'll have to get on that RoV as soon as I next log on then, too!

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Got my Herculean Gloves finally.

Reisenjima's augment system is horse balls.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Just started the Magicite mission and hoo boy I forgot how stupid the pre-reqs are for that. You have to collect all those key items that let you get through the beastmen strongholds. And you have to go to Beadeaux twice because of the two NMs you have to kill there. At least now it's actually fun to push through an area filled with hostile mobs with your own personal army.

Gruknor
Feb 23, 2011

Fart Sniffer Connoisseur

DizzyBum posted:

Just started the Magicite mission and hoo boy I forgot how stupid the pre-reqs are for that. You have to collect all those key items that let you get through the beastmen strongholds. And you have to go to Beadeaux twice because of the two NMs you have to kill there. At least now it's actually fun to push through an area filled with hostile mobs with your own personal army.

That is a fun part. You also have access to go to go and survival guide warps. That makes traveling a bit easier.

Shinjobi posted:

Got my Herculean Gloves finally.

Reisenjima's augment system is horse balls.

It is slightly better than the alluvion armor and weapon augment system. Cheaper and the stones are easier to farm are the only reasons why it is better.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Gruknor posted:

That is a fun part. You also have access to go to go and survival guide warps. That makes traveling a bit easier.

Yeah, being able to warp straight to the zone entrances is very nice.

I haven't had much time to play so I just spent my last two logins getting the Beadeaux key items. Now I'm ready to go touch the magicites. Also I hit BST 40 so I can do the AF1 quest now, just like old times.

Oh, quick question. Do Unity RoE tasks reset daily?

Dreamy Souffle
Feb 22, 2011

Just cause
I like my diamonds bright
ain't saying I'm wrong
or if it's right but baby
I haven't been wrong before

DizzyBum posted:

Do Unity RoE tasks reset daily?

Sure do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

I've been thinking a lot about this game recently and and struggling with the idea of coming back. Help me decide goons:

-I have about a 50/50 chance of being able to recover my character, if I can remember my login credentials. If not, I likely will not be able to recover as I changed my name a few years ago and have forgotten anything regarding payment info etc.

EDIT: Well apparently I had linked it to my Square Enix account, so now I'm in the middle of transferring. However I can't update any of my detailed info such as name and gender. Anyone know how to go about doing that?

-I can't seem to find a guide or article about how hard it is to start a new character and get to max level. I take it a lot of the pre Abyssea content is left unchanged and still a bitch to go through.

-Most solo leveling guides seem to follow the same path I took in the early days grouping. What changes did they add to make it easier to solo the early content?

HKR fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Jun 17, 2016