Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

If you're thinking of upgrading work flights, make sure to be very very familiar with that airline's upgrade rules. For instance, if your workplace has a corporate code with the airline you may be booked into a fare class that can't be upgraded with miles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

Cacafuego posted:

You want to use personal miles that you can (and should) use for vacation to upgrade your domestic work flights?

If I have enough miles yeah. Wouldn't be my first choice though

waloo
Mar 15, 2002
Your Oedipus complex will prove your undoing.
My wife and I have been using a double cash as our main card for a while now and it seems like there's all these rewards and stuff to be had. We don't reliably spend enough to effortlessly hit the rewards requirements for something like the Sapphire Preferred but it seems like there's nothing stopping us from just signing up for a couple smaller ones (e.g. Freedom Unlimited whatever) and capturing the signup bonus on those, then lock 'em in a drawer and forget about it.

Am I missing something here?

DeceasedHorse
Nov 11, 2005

waloo posted:

My wife and I have been using a double cash as our main card for a while now and it seems like there's all these rewards and stuff to be had. We don't reliably spend enough to effortlessly hit the rewards requirements for something like the Sapphire Preferred but it seems like there's nothing stopping us from just signing up for a couple smaller ones (e.g. Freedom Unlimited whatever) and capturing the signup bonus on those, then lock 'em in a drawer and forget about it.

Am I missing something here?

No. If you never ever use the cards l, the bank will eventually close the cards, but it doesn't seem like you care too much

you might want to occasionally use the freedom when its bonus categories align with your spending since 5%>2%

waloo
Mar 15, 2002
Your Oedipus complex will prove your undoing.
Well probably having them get closed isn't ideal either but considering it seems almost costless to keep them open with occasional use (ie the aformentioned rotating category)...

What kind of non-use scenarios result in the account being closed? Is that something that would happen out of the blue or not without some warning?

the poi
Oct 24, 2004

turbo volvo, wooooo!
Grimey Drawer
So I've had a Sapphire Preferred for a long time, and the point dividend usually offset the annual fee. Now that they've got rid of the dividend, there isn't much of a point to it as I don't really travel that much and the rewards aren't as good as my other cards. It's one of my oldest credit accounts though, so I worry about the effect of closing the account would have on my credit history. Any advice? Any Sapphire Preferred benefits that I might not be using to make it worthwhile?

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
That Totoro has an AR-15!
Well.... The Sapphire has the rental car insurance for starters.

Jacobin
Feb 1, 2013

by exmarx
I really appreciated the advice I got in this thread

Returned American citizen who has lived abroad almost entire life now has credit history and isn't getting quoted absolutely ludicrous crap for basic insurance etc.

The system is comple bs but I feel afloat

DeceasedHorse
Nov 11, 2005

the poi posted:

So I've had a Sapphire Preferred for a long time, and the point dividend usually offset the annual fee. Now that they've got rid of the dividend, there isn't much of a point to it as I don't really travel that much and the rewards aren't as good as my other cards. It's one of my oldest credit accounts though, so I worry about the effect of closing the account would have on my credit history. Any advice? Any Sapphire Preferred benefits that I might not be using to make it worthwhile?

Best in class car rental insurance as mentioned. The trials insurance is supposed to be pretty good to, but that's not really relevant if you don't travel.

You should be able to product change to a freedom and keep your account history-you could also see what sort of retention offer they'll give you if you call and threaten to cancel, although those tend to be rare for CSP

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
That Totoro has an AR-15!
Think of CSP as a card for travel and rental insurance.

And on top of it that's what you use to transfer Freedom points to travel partners.

Think of it not as an annual fee for one card but for TWO cards.

And work in the value of the points that you transfer out (Example: 5k-8k points is a $100+ hotel room via Hyatt)

However, I would never recommend the CSP to someone who doesn't travel because the math doesn't work out since you won't be redeeming on travel or using the insurance.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Does anyone know when the $150 sign on bonus for spending 500 dollars is applied to your cashback for Chase Freedom?

I got my 25 dollars in points for spending with an authorized user card added to the "Pending Points" total about two days after using it, but I went over the 500 dollar point over a week ago and don't see it added.

Does it matter that my total balance has never been over 500 and I've been paying off parts of it?

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Does anyone know when the $150 sign on bonus for spending 500 dollars is applied to your cashback for Chase Freedom?

I got my 25 dollars in points for spending with an authorized user card added to the "Pending Points" total about two days after using it, but I went over the 500 dollar point over a week ago and don't see it added.

Does it matter that my total balance has never been over 500 and I've been paying off parts of it?
Usually they hit on the statement date

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Posted in the thread a couple of weeks ago asking for advice on my first card, today I got approved for a BoA Travel Rewards Platinum Plus Visa with $2000 limit; currently in the mail. :toot: I think I actually applied for the student one, but by all accounts this looks like it's the regular version. Higher limit than I was expecting but I guess that's good for my credit score.

Are bonus initial spends (in this case, 20k points for $1000 in three months) typically from the date of approval or date of activation?

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
Approval, give or take a few days. If you really get down to the wire you could ask the issuer.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Upon being approved for a new card, I typically message or chat customer service to ask them to tell me the precise deadline.

Also note that you must have $X,XXX of posted transactions by that date. Fees and interest don't count. Pending transactions don't count either (remember, most transactions pend for a couple days before posting).

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
I've been utilizing my points / miles for the last few years and I've been able to fly internationally for free numerous times but I have never taken advantage of the open jaw / layover / stopover tickets that I keep reading about. I read an article about people using 45k United points to fly to numerous countries. Is this option only accessible by speaking with a United agent over the phone or is it possible to do online?

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

Busy Bee posted:

I've been utilizing my points / miles for the last few years and I've been able to fly internationally for free numerous times but I have never taken advantage of the open jaw / layover / stopover tickets that I keep reading about. I read an article about people using 45k United points to fly to numerous countries. Is this option only accessible by speaking with a United agent over the phone or is it possible to do online?
You should be able to do it online with a multi-city itinerary, but as with all things on United's site YMMV.
edit: Also, those open jaws / layovers / stopovers only apply on round trip tickets

wyoak fucked around with this message at 21:15 on May 25, 2016

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

In the next few years I'll probably be doing a decent number of domestic flights. Mostly Georgia, Texas and New Mexico, maybe California. Is there a card/airline that would be good for those areas? I have 3 cash rewards cards right now (citi DoubleCash, Barclays Sallie Mae, Discover) bit I understand travel cards may yield higher rewards rates if used for travel.

It would be great to get some free flights, as the plane ticket cost is a major barrier to visiting family.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM

Massasoit posted:

In the next few years I'll probably be doing a decent number of domestic flights. Mostly Georgia, Texas and New Mexico, maybe California. Is there a card/airline that would be good for those areas? I have 3 cash rewards cards right now (citi DoubleCash, Barclays Sallie Mae, Discover) bit I understand travel cards may yield higher rewards rates if used for travel.

It would be great to get some free flights, as the plane ticket cost is a major barrier to visiting family.

If you don't mind SouthWest they serve those areas pretty well and you can pretty easily get a companion pass by getting 2 of the SW Credit Cards chase offers.

turbomoose
Nov 29, 2008
Playing the banjo can be a relaxing activity and create lifelong friendships!
\
:backtowork:
Is there any practical limit for a credit card to stop at? My double cash has $20k but that was changed like over a year ago and i'm wondering if i should try to up it for credit score reasons or if it's not really worth it at this point. I never get anywhere near the limit so it would just be for credit score purposes

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

turbomoose posted:

Is there any practical limit for a credit card to stop at? My double cash has $20k but that was changed like over a year ago and i'm wondering if i should try to up it for credit score reasons or if it's not really worth it at this point. I never get anywhere near the limit so it would just be for credit score purposes
This is from the last time it came up when I asked if high limits were bad for churning:

Bisty Q. posted:

The high limits thing is on a per-bank basis. Most banks operate in that they have an internal total credit limit they're willing to give you, and if you have enough cards to hit or exceed that limit, you won't be automatically approved for a new card. Not being auto approved is bad news for a churner, so that's why there's so much talk of micro-ing it.
If you don't care about churning any other Citi cards, then yeah go nuts with requesting a limit increase.

As far as "practical limits" I don't really know. My DoubleCash is at ~$22,000 at the moment and they don't seem to want to give me much more. You might also want to keep in mind that Citi may perform a hard pull on your credit report with a limit increase request, especially as you start getting into really high limits. I don't believe they did that last time I requested an increase, but something to keep in mind. I'm curious if I'll have to shed some of that limit if I want Citi's new Costco card.

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 21:57 on May 25, 2016

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

If I do a 0% APR balance transfer to an existing card, and then I make new purchases to that card at a normal APR, am I correct in assuming any payments will go to the 0% APR balance first? Meaning that I would have to pay down the entire thing in order to prevent interest from accruing on the new purchases?

gregday
May 23, 2003

Chase has never given me a CLI on my CSP, but I have opened several new Chase cards only to wait a month and close them, adding the limits to my CSP. I've done it enough times that my CSP is now at $32k, and they have no problem with it. The only reason I stopped is my number of inquiries and AAoA were taking a hit.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
I'm trying to max out my Chase 5% bonus points at grocery stores this quarter, and Stop and Shop aka Giant, etc, has started forcing customers to pay for gift cards with debit cards or cash over a certain amount. Anyone happen to know the max you can buy at once?

I was able to buy three $100.00 cards as of the end of April, but wasn't able to today. I guess I'll be buying a few $50 cards with my weekly shopping trips.

Jacobin
Feb 1, 2013

by exmarx
Hey there-

This is a really really dumb question but well I have got myself confused and ELI5 greatly appreciated...

So, Ive had a credit card for just 2 months now. The first statement balance was $300 dollars. Since then, within the interest free 'grace period', I have paid more than $300 to the card- I know I definitely have no minimum amount due. I have also then a bit later in this months period made further purchases- buying a bed on amazon that has brought up the current balance to lets say $400- for exhaustiveness this purchase was not listed on the last statement.

Will this accrued balanceof $400 from buying the bed be considered a 'previous balance' in the next statement or just part of the new statement balance? i.e., Ive already been considered to have paid off the statement balance and anything that would accrue interest.

Every time before this Ive always paid off the balance to zero every billing period- including purchases made say two days before the statement period ending that month, hence my ability to even be confused about this.

is this "carrying a balance from month to month" if I pay the card statement balance accrued each month in full but don't have a zero balance after each billing period?

The card is a Chase Amazon Rewards if that helps :\

Jacobin fucked around with this message at 04:46 on May 28, 2016

asur
Dec 28, 2012
You need to pay the full statement balance, which would be all purchases through the statement closing date, by the due date. Any purchases made after the statement closing date will appear on your next bill. If you pay the statement balance on the due date and use the card then youll always have a balance. This is not carrying a balance and you won't be charged interest.

asur fucked around with this message at 04:54 on May 28, 2016

Jacobin
Feb 1, 2013

by exmarx
Ok thank you very much. Makes sense really. Just a bit paranoid

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Josh Lyman posted:

If I do a 0% APR balance transfer to an existing card, and then I make new purchases to that card at a normal APR, am I correct in assuming any payments will go to the 0% APR balance first? Meaning that I would have to pay down the entire thing in order to prevent interest from accruing on the new purchases?

This is how I've read it before.

damnfan
Jun 1, 2012
I currently have an American Express Blue Cash Everyday card and Amex has been sending me emails and letters to upgrade to the card to the American Express Blue Cash Preferred card. Is it worth to upgrade? I have had the card for approximately two years and use it wherever the cash back applies.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

damnfan posted:

I currently have an American Express Blue Cash Everyday card and Amex has been sending me emails and letters to upgrade to the card to the American Express Blue Cash Preferred card. Is it worth to upgrade? I have had the card for approximately two years and use it wherever the cash back applies.
Crunch the numbers and see if the increased rewards rate will offset the annual fee. That's really the only way to know.

asur
Dec 28, 2012
Don't upgrade unless the upgrade gives you the signup bonus as well. You can apply for the BCP and get a signup bonus that would more than offset the annual fee for the first year and if it doesn't make sense at that point you could downgrade. I don't know if referral links are allowed here, but I can give you one or you could just google the offer.

Baddog
May 12, 2001
I use the BCP to buy 6% discounted gift cards for almost everything at the grocery store, but especially amazon. And especially when they are offering 4x fuel points for gift cards.

Its not an *amazing* deal or anything, because its capped at 6k/year, so only an extra $166/year over a no-annual-fee 2% everywhere card.

damnfan
Jun 1, 2012

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Crunch the numbers and see if the increased rewards rate will offset the annual fee. That's really the only way to know.

asur posted:

Don't upgrade unless the upgrade gives you the signup bonus as well. You can apply for the BCP and get a signup bonus that would more than offset the annual fee for the first year and if it doesn't make sense at that point you could downgrade. I don't know if referral links are allowed here, but I can give you one or you could just google the offer.

Baddog posted:

I use the BCP to buy 6% discounted gift cards for almost everything at the grocery store, but especially amazon. And especially when they are offering 4x fuel points for gift cards.

Its not an *amazing* deal or anything, because its capped at 6k/year, so only an extra $166/year over a no-annual-fee 2% everywhere card.

Thanks for the information! The increased rewards would offset the annual fee, but I wouldn't be receiving as much cash back as I would if I stayed with the BCE. If I end up being in a higher cost area at the end of this year I might upgrade.

dead lettuce
Sep 12, 2014

Is the CSP still worth it now that the new Citi Costco card offers 3% cash back on restaurants and travel? It sounds like with some of the really valuable point redemptions (5-7 cents/point) it could still be worth it but I'm having trouble figuring out how I'll accrue enough CSP points since most categories get higher cash back on my other cards (Citi Costco, Double Cash, Sallie Mae World MC, Amex Blue Cash Everyday).

I don't have any travel cards right now but I'm traveling for work more often now and like to turn some of those trips into extended stays for vacation. I will probably be traveling to Europe about once a year and within the US once a year, plus maybe one personal vacation a year on top of that. I would redeem for airfare and/or hotels. I'm based in San Diego and we don't have any dedicated airlines, it seems to be a mix of all the carriers, so CSP seems like a good bet but I'm not sure I'll be able to justify the annual fee after the first year...

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

dead lettuce posted:

Is the CSP still worth it now that the new Citi Costco card offers 3% cash back on restaurants and travel? It sounds like with some of the really valuable point redemptions (5-7 cents/point) it could still be worth it but I'm having trouble figuring out how I'll accrue enough CSP points since most categories get higher cash back on my other cards (Citi Costco, Double Cash, Sallie Mae World MC, Amex Blue Cash Everyday).

I don't have any travel cards right now but I'm traveling for work more often now and like to turn some of those trips into extended stays for vacation. I will probably be traveling to Europe about once a year and within the US once a year, plus maybe one personal vacation a year on top of that. I would redeem for airfare and/or hotels. I'm based in San Diego and we don't have any dedicated airlines, it seems to be a mix of all the carriers, so CSP seems like a good bet but I'm not sure I'll be able to justify the annual fee after the first year...

Don't ever use CSP for cash back - it's a travel rewards transfer card that forms a base to imbue Chase Freedom points with additional value.

dead lettuce
Sep 12, 2014

baquerd posted:

Don't ever use CSP for cash back - it's a travel rewards transfer card that forms a base to imbue Chase Freedom points with additional value.

I understand CSP should never be used for cash back. What I'm asking is whether CSP's 2x points on restaurants/travel and 1x points on everything else are better given the than 3% pure cash back on restaurants & travel (Citi Costco Visa) and 2% cash back on everything (Double Cash), as an example. For those with a CSP, do you use it in place of other cards with higher cash back because the points redemption is so much more valuable? Sorry if I'm not making sense.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

dead lettuce posted:

I understand CSP should never be used for cash back. What I'm asking is whether CSP's 2x points on restaurants/travel and 1x points on everything else are better given the than 3% pure cash back on restaurants & travel (Citi Costco Visa) and 2% cash back on everything (Double Cash), as an example. For those with a CSP, do you use it in place of other cards with higher cash back because the points redemption is so much more valuable? Sorry if I'm not making sense.
I do but it depends on your plans, if you don't travel much or don't travel to/from places well-serviced by UR partners (or if you already have more miles than you know what to do with) then you'd be better off with cash back. I'll only redeem UR points if I get more that 2 cents per point of value so at 3% vs 2%, lower points are still worth it to me.

It's a pretty inexact thing though.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
How long do you guys usually wait after you cancel a credit card to sign up again to receive the sign up bonus? I was just targeted for a very attractive sign up bonus but I still carry that card. The offer expires in 3 weeks so I'm wondering if that's more than enough time to cancel my current card and sign up for the other one.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Busy Bee posted:

How long do you guys usually wait after you cancel a credit card to sign up again to receive the sign up bonus? I was just targeted for a very attractive sign up bonus but I still carry that card. The offer expires in 3 weeks so I'm wondering if that's more than enough time to cancel my current card and sign up for the other one.
With Chase I believe it's 24 months. That's very interesting that you're getting a targeted offer while already having the card.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dead lettuce
Sep 12, 2014

wyoak posted:

I do but it depends on your plans, if you don't travel much or don't travel to/from places well-serviced by UR partners (or if you already have more miles than you know what to do with) then you'd be better off with cash back. I'll only redeem UR points if I get more that 2 cents per point of value so at 3% vs 2%, lower points are still worth it to me.

It's a pretty inexact thing though.

Thanks, that makes sense. It sounds like it's easy enough to find flights above the 2 cents/point threshold, so the CSP still seems to be worth it. I'll sign up for that and the Chase Freedom once I'm sure I can comfortably make the sign-up bonuses.