Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
I'm playing a pretty modded game, but I haven't seen the nest mission yet, when does it come out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

many johnnys
May 17, 2015

princecoo posted:

I got the Muton leader/king/whatever on an extract mission. It was a surprise, but as far as I could tell he was alone (I thought they were supposed to have a bunch of pals with them) unless I managed to activate and kill them before he showed up.

In any case, he did a lot of roaring and stomping around but since he was alone all he managed to do was slap my pointman around the head, stunning him for 2 turns and doing a massive 1 point of damage. After that rather less than stellar attack he got the everloving poo poo shot out of him by the rest of the squad so he warped out like a little bitch at half health.

These rulers ain't poo poo. First I had a snake that got executed midway through its first action, now I've got a weak little coward muton. Bah.

Do they warp in? I had another mission where the purple swirly warp thing opened up in my extraction area, with text saying enemy reinforcements were incoming. So I put everyone in overwatch around it for 2 turns, and then it closed with no effect and I exfilled without incident.

lol @ the berserker doing a whole bunch of damage but the uber berserker gently whacking you with a paper fan

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !
Is anyone playing with Hidden Potential and Not Created Equally from the Long War Toolbox ? Any idea what the possible stat range is on recruitment and for growth ?

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

Lockback posted:

I'm playing a pretty modded game, but I haven't seen the nest mission yet, when does it come out?

It should show a little after the first Supply Raid. Works with GW for sure, that's when Beagle encountered it.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Don't forget that it's at the end of a sequence of scanning things on the Geoscape, it doesn't just pop up like other missions.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

many johnnys posted:

lol @ the berserker doing a whole bunch of damage but the uber berserker gently whacking you with a paper fan

I imagine the Queen used her earthquake ability, which does that little damage but typically she uses it when there's 2+ operatives in the radius. It also has a chance to knock unconscious.

The Queen is really high variance. Sometimes she shows up in a situation where she can't access you easily and you can shred her up with focus fire. Other times she surprises you at close range and there is not a huge amount you can do to not get beaten black and blue. This can be said of all the Rulers but the Queen is most so.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Chrysalids being able to come out of the ground, attack in my move then attack in their move is loving cheating

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

Nothing better than swinging around a little girl like a flail.
I haven't played the dlc yet since my last completed game, which was like months ago, but is there a chryssalid overmind or something akin to a ruler?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
No. The 3 rulers are a male snake tit (snake dick), an even more angry berserker (with tenderizing hammer hands), and a colossal fucker of an archon (seriously that guy is an rear end in a top hat)

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
Chryssalid brood mother: every action, spawns a chryssalid. Does nothing else.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

dyzzy posted:

The spawned chrysalid is in mine mode and is placed on a random tile of the map. No indication is given as to which tile.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

dyzzy posted:

Lobs crysallids like footballs.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Annointed posted:

Lobs crysallids like footballs.

This'd be funny and awesome.

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

Nothing better than swinging around a little girl like a flail.
It's an X-COM Chryssalid instead of an XCOM Chryssalid.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It took me three campaign attempts before I even saw an archon, 2 hours ago.

e: I meant the acid suit guys

frank.club fucked around with this message at 00:41 on May 26, 2016

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

InfinityComplex posted:

It's an X-COM Chryssalid instead of an XCOM Chryssalid.

Oh Christ :gonk:

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

frank.club posted:

It took me three campaign attempts before I even saw an archon, 2 hours ago.

e: I meant the acid suit guys

The Andromedons? They're cool. I like them a lot more than I like the Archons which you mistook them for. Andromedons are actual threats from basically being 2 enemies in one, Archons are piles of RNG bullshit annoyance.

They're also part of the reason why I think Mutons get so rare in the later part of the game, and why Muton Berserkers are almost unseen. Andromedons are basically Mutons 2.0 in behavior and threat that then become Berserkers.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
By the time Andromedans show up, hopefully you have Domination and get an extra soldier.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

monster on a stick posted:

By the time Andromedans show up, hopefully you have Domination and get an extra soldier.

Once in the final mission I managed to dominate two at the beginning and they fought until the very end to liberate earth. :911:

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

monster on a stick posted:

no I haven't managed to do that yet. I haven't even managed to make a psi chamber or dark chamber at all yet lol.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

Once in the final mission I managed to dominate two at the beginning and they fought until the very end to liberate earth. :911:

The downside to this tactic is that you won't have any dominated Gatekeepers.

At the end of my run where I never bought squad size upgrades, the last pack of enemies before entering the final room was made of Stun Lancers, all bunched together. One Standoff followed up by a psi gate, and I had a bigger army than I've ever controlled before.

many johnnys
May 17, 2015

Dr Christmas posted:

The downside to this tactic is that you won't have any dominated Gatekeepers.

Depends how many psychics you bring :getin:

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Oh, hey, a neat mod that lets me build weapons individually, so I get a more natural/gradual power growth instead of suddenly getting everything at once! And it apparently works with the loot mod so I can find tier 2-3 weapons to ease me in (like the old-school capturing plasma weapons in EU/EW).

...and it completely screws up the soldier skills somehow, or for some unseen reason? For some reason my grenadiers were getting Shredder as their first skill, which means they couldn't use any grenades at all.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.
That wouldn't happen unless some other mod was loving with XComClassData.ini - it's completely separate to weapon configuration.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Maluco Marinero posted:

That wouldn't happen unless some other mod was loving with XComClassData.ini - it's completely separate to weapon configuration.

that's what I thought but then I had no class mods or anything else active. And the problem fixed itself when I removed the mod in question.

For reference it was this mod: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=680282517&searchtext=finite

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.
It may have been another mod. It's common that XCOM won't clean up its config files correctly. Removing the mod may have caused the config to flush, but the actual error may have been caused by some other mod. (In case you were wondering yes this is a pain in the rear end for bug reports )

I'd give the mod one last try but I could look at the files to see what it actually does.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

That does sound like a massive pain in the rear end. I'll try it again tomorrow, but I checked the .ini file and there is nothing about it goofing with classes so I guess you're right. Makes sense, it did feel like a bit of an unintended bug than something intended, like it just shifted the all the Gunner abilities one space.

Out of curiosity, is there a way to force the config files to be cleaned up manually?

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.
Yeah. In My Documents/My Games/XCOM2/XComGame/Config, (or thereabouts), delete all the ini files and that should force a refresh.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."
So uh. Can I get some tips on dealing with this jackass Viper King? I naively wandered into the Alien Nest mission at the end of the first month, and he beat me up pretty badly with my squad of three corporals and a squaddie with tier 1 gear. And then he showed up on the blacksite and TPK'd me. He just... I flashbanged him first off hoping that would make him shoot instead of squeeze. Nope! tongue grabbed one off a roof and started squeezing. Took a shot at him, he KOed that first soldier. Next man up had to move to get him in his sights, he froze that one. Fourth took a shot, missed, promptly tongue grabbed. Repeat until entire squad is KO'd.

:shepicide:

I just can't deal damage to him fast enough with the gear I've got, and his react-every-move thing combined with bind -> KO annihilates me. I don't have any fancy weapon mods, I barely have flashbangs let alone mimic beacons, not even thinking of psi... is this just a "restart your campaign and don't loving do the alien nest until you're more built up" situation?

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Yeah don't flashbang Viper King, just shoot him or use regular grenades... unless you have access to incendiary, gas, or acid grenades, then use those. They're super effective against rulers since they take damage every activation until it wears off. I actually killed the Archon ruler with an acid burn as he was trying to escape.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."
Yeah, I don't have any of that.

e: Oh god he's literally showing up every mission I try and forcing me to abandon everything. I think this is a campaign restart. :smith:

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
holy poo poo sectopods are loving crazy

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

frank.club posted:

holy poo poo sectopods are loving crazy

For the longest time I thought the chicken walker thing was a rather silly bug. Then I finally controlled one and realized the silliness was a feature and it was even more amazing :allears:

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

I forgot, what files do I have to delete after this patch/DLC for the mods to work? I was something in config or something right (I think in my machine is in the steam folder or the MyGames one? After I delete that do I re-start the game or verify?

Also:

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

I just use my controlled "allies" as walking radars and bullet sponges. Might change my tactics.

Vincent fucked around with this message at 23:26 on May 26, 2016

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
Maluco Marinero's post, this very page.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

dyzzy posted:

Maluco Marinero's post, this very page.

I just saw that, yeah. Sorry.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
Better that you know and don't have to try uninstalling all your mods and piecing them back together :suicide:

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

FoolyCharged posted:

For the longest time I thought the chicken walker thing was a rather silly bug. Then I finally controlled one and realized the silliness was a feature and it was even more amazing :allears:

The first time I saw it was a landed UFO mission. It did its little raise up and clipped right through the roof of the UFO and shot at me

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I also saw the sphere guy for the first time but I also fielded my first psy guy. Also realized that all my speciality guys have died before rank 4. I really hope this one that's almost fully ranked up doesn't die!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Axeface
Feb 28, 2009

He Who Walks
Behind The Aisles
Any tips for building a psy trooper? I finally (after about a dozen failed campaigns) managed to get a Psi Chamber together, and I'm wondering what to do with the drat thing now that I've got it.