Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
We are still here reveals its amatuerish nature like 5 minutes before the sons roommate shows up. It's kind of fun by the end though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
We Are Still Here is an absolute blast and kept constantly surprising me, something that horror films very rarely do these days.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Basebf555 posted:

We Are Still Here would be comparable to The House by the Cemetery if we're talking Italian horror. Its more restrained than Fulci though, so if you think Fulci can sometimes be too over the top, you'll probably like We Are Still Here.

It's basically a direct tribute to House by the Cemetery, in fact.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
Enjoyed Victoria quite a bit. Amazing technical achievement.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Woo the new season of Peaky Blinders is coming at the end of May.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I enjoyed We Are Still Here quite a bit. It doesn't reinvent the wheel, but it's a nice gory spooky old house/town with Lovecraftian buried secrets movie. Horror movies about adults are always a nice change of pace.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
I like it as well. It mixed the 70s haunted house vibe with some modern effects and gore. Solid flick.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".
I watched Mordecai (the Depp flick) on Amazon over the weekend. It was over the top and tried a bit too hard in the spoof department but it was actually not horrendous. Depp had the accent and absurdity cranked up to 11. How much that puts you off probably depends on you Depp saturation levels.

I went in cold knowing nothing about it but apparently this was a bomb and panned by critics. It kind of struck me as a failed Bowfinger, if you replace film production in Hollywood with a murder/heist mystery in a spoofy aristocratic England. Ensemble cast riffing on a bunch of tropes. Enjoyable, but flawed.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Doctor Butts posted:

Woo the new season of Peaky Blinders is coming at the end of May.

I watched the first episode of this and couldn't get into it. Does it get better

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

drunken officeparty posted:

I watched the first episode of this and couldn't get into it. Does it get better

it's awesome. gets better, stays better, gets better still.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
That show isn't blowing my mind but it scratches the gangster flick itch for me. I'm a few episodes into the second season and it's looking pretty much the same.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
We Are Still Here is very slow up until the end. I thought I was in the middle of the movie and was surprised there were 20 minutes left because not much had happened. The last 20 minutes are very fun though, lots of gore. The plot was kind of weak and felt like an excuse to get more bodies in the house when poo poo went down.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

BJPaskoff posted:

We Are Still Here is very slow up until the end. I thought I was in the middle of the movie and was surprised there were 20 minutes left because not much had happened. The last 20 minutes are very fun though, lots of gore. The plot was kind of weak and felt like an excuse to get more bodies in the house when poo poo went down.

I think I would have given it 5 stars had the plot been a little more defined about certain aspects.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

drunken officeparty posted:

Yeah, it gets really intense. Honestly were it not for the jarring soundtrack choices I'd put it up there with Boardwalk Empire.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Iron Crowned posted:

I think I would have given it 5 stars had the plot been a little more defined about certain aspects.

Yeah, the actions and motivations of the townspeople make no sense in the final act. It's a fun mess, though.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

I have godawful insomnia so I watch a lot of Netflix for background noise.

Instructions Not Included was really sweet and touching, about a Lothario being suddenly saddled with a baby after a former hookup abandons her to him.
Station Agent was good too, and Peter Dinklage's big breakout role.

And if you're into sports at all, there's a lot of good 30 for 30 documentaries on there. Even if you're not that into sports, they're still interesting. I don't give a crap about Nascar, but an episode about it kept me interested.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Bojack Horseman Season 3 is coming https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFNvc3WiZYw

July 22

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

coyo7e posted:

Bojack Horseman Season 3 is coming https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFNvc3WiZYw

July 22

FINALLY.

Bojack Horseman is the poo poo. Season 2 has been one of my favorite original releases from Netflix, and solidified it as one of my all-time favorite shows.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Sarchasm posted:

Yeah, the actions and motivations of the townspeople make no sense in the final act. It's a fun mess, though.

Oh for sure.

Also, I watched Haunter last night, and I really enjoyed it. It was nice to see a haunted house from the perspective of the ghost.

The problem I'm having is that I've been enjoying the horror movies I'm watching lately. I've been putting them on so I can have something to listen to, pay a little attention to while I paint, and instead, I end up just watching after a short while.

Here are the movies I've watched lately and liked too much to get anything done:

- We Are Still Here
- Ava's Possessions
- Haunter
- Housebound

fishtobaskets
Feb 22, 2007

It's not about butthole pleasures
Lipstick Apathy
I really enjoyed They Look Like People. One of the better indie features I've seen in recent years and just not at all what I was expecting. Try to ignore the Netflix blurb and just watch it blind.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Sarchasm posted:

What didn't make sense? They show up because they're worried the house won't get the blood it needs to satisfy it so they decide to make sure nobody leaves the house alive.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

fishtobaskets posted:

I really enjoyed They Look Like People. One of the better indie features I've seen in recent years and just not at all what I was expecting. Try to ignore the Netflix blurb and just watch it blind.

IT DRAGS LIKE MOLASSES

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

Junkie Disease posted:

IT DRAGS LIKE MOLASSES

I never felt this way. I mean it is only like and hour and 20 minutes long.

Just wanna echo some other posters and say I really liked it. The last scene was really good and made me extremely nervous.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Junkie Disease posted:

IT DRAGS LIKE MOLASSES

I liked the idea behind it, and I wanted to like it, but it definitely needed a lot more polish.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I think the reactions, good or bad, to They Look Like People probably have a lot to do with what people were expecting going into it. If you read the Netflix summary and know nothing else about it, you'd probably be disappointed because it makes it sound like a monster movie/creature feature. If you're looking for that kind of thing then its probably easy to feel like the movie is DRAGGING LIKE MOLASSES because you're waiting for some monsters to show up.

Really though its not dragging because everything that's happening is the story, that's all there is. If you're just not into that kind of story than you won't like it, and I think a lot of people went into it without realizing its not the kind of thing they usually are into.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Basebf555 posted:

I think the reactions, good or bad, to They Look Like People probably have a lot to do with what people were expecting going into it. If you read the Netflix summary and know nothing else about it, you'd probably be disappointed because it makes it sound like a monster movie/creature feature. If you're looking for that kind of thing then its probably easy to feel like the movie is DRAGGING LIKE MOLASSES because you're waiting for some monsters to show up.

Really though its not dragging because everything that's happening is the story, that's all there is. If you're just not into that kind of story than you won't like it, and I think a lot of people went into it without realizing its not the kind of thing they usually are into.

I read the description and figured it wasn't a monster movie. I pegged the schizophrenia from the description, but it seemed out of focus. I think I really would have liked it a lot better if it had been more thought out about someone experiencing their first schizophrenic break and tried not to make it seem like a monster movie the whole time. The roommate/friend and his coworker/girlfriend were just terrible half-baked characters, which didn't help the movie at all.

As I said, it really needed a lot of polishing.

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

Iron Crowned posted:

The roommate/friend and his coworker/girlfriend were just terrible half-baked characters, which didn't help the movie at all.

Not sure why I am defending this movie so much but I disagree with this too. I thought there were a surprising amount of subtle character things that happened.

The dumb games that the two men play when they are drunk. And all of the implied backstory of their friendship was good. And the girlfriend character had some subtle things too (her judo, her attitude, etc). I liked that they just never explicitly said "hey i'm good at judo and have a tougher personality." They showed it with something like offhand moments.

I don't know, maybe I just like movies with a little less polish and more implied things.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Iron Crowned posted:

I read the description and figured it wasn't a monster movie. I pegged the schizophrenia from the description, but it seemed out of focus. I think I really would have liked it a lot better if it had been more thought out about someone experiencing their first schizophrenic break and tried not to make it seem like a monster movie the whole time. The roommate/friend and his coworker/girlfriend were just terrible half-baked characters, which didn't help the movie at all.

Huh, well I guess I just disagree with about everything you said. For me the roommate and the coworker worked really well and made the movie a lot more interesting than it would have been otherwise. The roommate especially, I thought his character was really well done.

And I don't think making the movie a more straight-forward first experience with mental illness story would have been an improvement at all. The confusion and doubt is a major part of what brings tension, and it makes the audience feel like they're in the shoes of a person going through something like that. As it is we're right there with the main character, unsure if what we're seeing and hearing can be trusted. Take that aspect away and its a completely different, and in my opinion less effective, film.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Basebf555 posted:

Huh, well I guess I just disagree with about everything you said. For me the roommate and the coworker worked really well and made the movie a lot more interesting than it would have been otherwise. The roommate especially, I thought his character was really well done.

And I don't think making the movie a more straight-forward first experience with mental illness story would have been an improvement at all. The confusion and doubt is a major part of what brings tension, and it makes the audience feel like they're in the shoes of a person going through something like that. As it is we're right there with the main character, unsure if what we're seeing and hearing can be trusted. Take that aspect away and its a completely different, and in my opinion less effective, film.

I liked the confusion and doubt, it was just too rough to make it good in my opinion. Had the other two characters been written better, it might have worked better for me. I guess just too many of their scenes without the main guy felt more like padding to make it to a full length rather than adding anything.

I will say that I did like the final scene, but again, poor writing for the roommate marred it, and made me not like it as much as I would have.

fishtobaskets
Feb 22, 2007

It's not about butthole pleasures
Lipstick Apathy
I loved the roommate. That line, "It's really scary to trust you right now, but let's do it!" (sic) was touching to me and I like the way the actor delivered it. That and the final scene gave this movie a sweet heart that made me feel good when it was over. One of the few times where I felt like the happy ending was the better alternative in a horror flick. But really, it's not a horror flick. It's a buddy movie.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
I liked the roommate as well. He's pretty much just a normal dude going through a rough patch with his job and women who's trying to help out his friend.

And I may not be remembering it right but doesn't he imply that his friend has had a similar breakdown before? Something like "Are you hearing them again?" and the "no killing anyone" line?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Ok Fella posted:

And I may not be remembering it right but doesn't he imply that his friend has had a similar breakdown before? Something like "Are you hearing them again?" and the "no killing anyone" line?

Maybe not on the same level as this, but yea the voices is something he's been dealing with for some time. At one point he meets with a guy who seems to be some sort of mental health professional.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
The roommate, girlfriend and her roommate are all aspects of Wyatt's character that aren't explicitly depicted. They're all more like him than unlike him. It's a very sympathetic narrative.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

The "CG" altered POV for his mental issue I think was a mistake. Making our pov unreliable. I would have been stronger if they didn't lie to the audience and just show him misreading cues and seeing clues where there was none. Acting was fine. His friend is a idiot to let him even have acid in the house/tie him up

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Basebf555 posted:

What didn't make sense?

"Hey everybody, let's all go to the fire zombie house and do the work for them" is a real bad plan even by mob mentality standards.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Sarchasm posted:

"Hey everybody, let's all go to the fire zombie house and do the work for them" is a real bad plan even by mob mentality standards.

They stood by and waited for the house to claim them on its own, but then it became clear that they had caught on and there was a risk that they might leave. I think the point you're missing is that there's some Evil poo poo in the house that goes way beyond just the ghosts. Preventing it from escaping is #1 priority, the townspeople were probably willing to give up their lives if necessary

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

Basebf555 posted:

They stood by and waited for the house to claim them on its own, but then it became clear that they had caught on and there was a risk that they might leave. I think the point you're missing is that there's some Evil poo poo in the house that goes way beyond just the ghosts. Preventing it from escaping is #1 priority, the townspeople were probably willing to give up their lives if necessary

I think we're just going to have to agree to disagree on this one.

Fun scene though!

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Is there some reason Hulu's console interface shows off way more of their selection than their web portal does? If I use my 360 to go to Hulu+, go to movies, then pick a genre, I see about 200 or so movies in that genre. If I go to Hulu.com and select movies and go to a genre, it'll show "Popular movies in", "Recently Added", and about three subgenres for each, and that's it.

It's frustrating because they don't seem to have an Instantwatcher equivalent.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I don't have much to add but I also really liked they look like people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warm und Fuzzy
Jun 20, 2006

I loved how in They Looked Like People the conclusion of the roommate's character arc was, "I didn't piss myself!!"