Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Gus Hobbleton posted:

Has anybody checked to see if you can parry estus?

I've hit people while drinking and it never did anything special. I mean except for the sense of amazement from having stopped someone from drinking, when chugging takes like .0001 seconds in this one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
You cannot parry estus, and you don't even deal counter damage to them.

Honestly if you did deal counter damage to someone estusing it would pretty much negate the entire thing.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc
I had fantasies about Beast Cuttering errything in DS3.

RyokoTK posted:

If the twin-weapons in DS3 were even a fraction as cool as Bloodborne trick weapons I would never use anything else, but the only thing you get out of twin weapons in DS3 is one attack rather than an entirely different moveset like in BB.

We will sadly never get a DS with both powerstancing and weapon arts

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

"My butt smells like vanilla ice cream"

Yardbomb posted:

I've hit people while drinking and it never did anything special. I mean except for the sense of amazement from having stopped someone from drinking, when chugging takes like .0001 seconds in this one.

But did you ever parry them (there is no way it would work).

Mr. Funktastic posted:

Thanks, that makes sense. How well does this translate to PvP though? I imagine generally higher AR = better since most players probably don't gear themselves to resist one certain type?

How exactly is Strike damage different/better than the other types? I noticed that the CKGS has that, but for me so far that basically just means I can break skeletons better.

My phone ate half of a giant effort post but the gist of it was: split damage is bad and the more even the split the worse; armor doesn't matter except for having it on (optimal armor choice will allow you to die in 5 very heavy weapon r1s instead of 4 if you're wearing the opposite of optimal armor) ; strike damage was really good in DS2 but I can't think of a reason it would be in DS3, PVP at least.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

I made a video of the beast on the irithyll bridge and used the Cleric Beast music because it's a big hairy beast on a bridge with a lovely camera and it got flagged as using some song. I looked it up and they loving sampled the Cleric Beast music for their lovely dance song (https://www.beatport.com/track/factus-original-mix/6807033) and then try to monetise my video? gently caress you, you pieces of poo poo.

Fire Barrel
Mar 28, 2010
After using it more in a few fights, I've decided the undead hunter charm is pretty much useless. The lack of real aoe and the limited time doesn't help if they don't get boxed in or if they have help. Also, after using it a bit more, the charge attack for the broadsword is pretty awful. I don't remember the strong attacks being that bad in DS1 or 2. I've been able to catch players with it on occasion, but you basically run at the enemy before moving your sword towards the target thanks to the dumb wind up. Not too smart. Now I understand why most players that use it only really use the R1 and various combos with the r1, like the O+R1 combo or something. I like the damage on it, and the way it looks, but I may need to swap it out.

Although, catching people in parries with the broadsword+hornet's ring and carthus flame swathe has actually been one shotting a number of players I've run across.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Charles Get-Out posted:

All these dark souls 2 apologists are really triggering me. I love me some dark soul 2, but c'mon, it's still the stepchild of the series. DeS, DS, BB, and DS3 have much more in common with each other mechanically.

Just because they have more in common mechanically doesn't mean anything good. There are plenty of lovely mechanics unique to all of those games.

Its undeniable though that DS3 has a ton of mechanical failings behind the scenes, and a lot of those come from building off DS1 as the base rather than DS2. No reason for them to have done that.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 23:16 on May 25, 2016

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
DS2 is the stepchild of the series in the sense that it's as if everyone else in the family was a career engineer but DS2 got into restaurant management instead and now owns several extremely successful restaurants and has plenty of money and job security anyway.

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

"My butt smells like vanilla ice cream"
The restaurant is in the space needle and you reach it via mine cart.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
The owner of SkyCity probably makes a fuckin' ton of money though and probably doesn't care about worthless goons crying about the elevator from Earthen Peak.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

the best summary of ds2 I heard is that it took 2 steps forward and 3 steps back

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
that literally describes Dark 1, Dark 2, Bloodborne, and Dark 3.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
It took two steps forward, two steps to the side, and one fall down an elevator shaft.

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
here let me help: dark souls 2 was mechanically solid but terribly uninspired.

I feel like the ds2 team was a lot better at learning from/correcting mistakes which is why the dlcs owned so much. ds2 team would've been like "oh poo poo we hosed up poise we'll patch it soon" whereas ds3 team is "haha gently caress you leaving out poise was totally intentional and we're never putting it back"

Fire Barrel
Mar 28, 2010
In some ways, it feels like DS3 took more steps back than DS2, but that's somewhat unfair to say since SotS really changed the DS2 experience. Bloodborne, while not perfect, certainly felt like the best of the games to me, especially the PvE stuff. Coop wasn't bad either, but I found the lag in that game could get pretty bad, effectively putting a damper on PvP.

The biggest observation I have about dual wielding in DS3 is that it is far easier to parry someone using those weapons than just about anything else, specifically when they do the blade spin/dance. Haven't fought anyone using the spears yet, but I don't think those have the same twirl. I tend to have the most parrying issues with great/ultra great weapons since they have a lot of moves that can't be parried. It's a bit late now to do this in the souls series, but I would've having a clearer divide between 1 handed and 2 handed weapons, as well as paired weapons. Could've maybe used the triangle to access different moves for each type of weapon. Might have made things too complex for their own good though.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Fire Barrel posted:

In some ways, it feels like DS3 took more steps back than DS2, but that's somewhat unfair to say since SotS really changed the DS2 experience.

I'm honestly waiting to give a thorough evaluation of my thoughts on DkS3 until the DLC is finished for exactly this reason.

Artorias of the Abyss, Scholar of the First Sin, and the Hunter's Nightmare were all among the best content in their respective games, rounded them out mechanically at least a little, and contributed massively to their worldbuilding and storytelling.

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt
The DLC consistently being so good in the past is why I'm automatically pumped as hell for what we're getting for 3.

no_funeral
Jul 4, 2004

why
idk what everybody else is doing wrong, but i get bluecop summoned so much i have to take the convenant off, SL~90

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ddQDNKL2zvo

CONFOUND THOSE BABBY HOSTS! OH HOW I HATE THEM! I HATE RAMOS! I HATE DJ! AND I HATE THAT THIRD GUY

spit on my clit fucked around with this message at 00:12 on May 26, 2016

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

BillmasterCozb posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ddQDNKL2zvo

CONFOUND THOSE BABBY HOSTS! OH HOW I HATE THEM! I HATE RAMOS! I HATE DJ! AND I HATE THAT THIRD GUY

Can someone explain this meme to me? I don't even know how to search for it.

Lothire
Jan 27, 2007

Rx Suicide emailed me and all I got was this amazingly awesome forum account.

Tortured By Flan
I'm finished with my first run of the game, and now I am aiming to move onto a magic character. Thing is, I've never done magic in souls games. I sort of understand how the stats tie to each type, but I'm getting pretty lost when I consider weapons, stat progressions and general tactics of a magic user. The internet hasn't been too helpful, stating mostly that magic seems weaker this time around and offering builds of uncertain efficiency.

Any suggestions? Builds, tips, etc. I'm looking for effective rather than personal taste here, since I've no experience with pyro/sorc/miracles nor understand how well this aspect of the game is currently working out.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Have your first character be sort of an amalgam of melee and magic and you'll get the ropes of magic-using a lot more easily than if you tried to go pure magic.

Magic is weaker in that you can't go pure magic without a lot of difficulty and patience like you could in vanilla DS2, but you can definitely toss fireballs and chop people with axes at the same time and still do decently.

e: If this is your first attempt at magic use at all in a Souls game I would take the Pyromancer starter class and use pyromancy exclusively since it's effective with less stat investment, the good items that buff pyromancy are attained relatively early in the game (pretty much all of it is in Smouldering Lake) and it doesn't take 60 goddamn intelligence to make useful.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Lothire posted:

I'm finished with my first run of the game, and now I am aiming to move onto a magic character. Thing is, I've never done magic in souls games. I sort of understand how the stats tie to each type, but I'm getting pretty lost when I consider weapons, stat progressions and general tactics of a magic user. The internet hasn't been too helpful, stating mostly that magic seems weaker this time around and offering builds of uncertain efficiency.

Any suggestions? Builds, tips, etc. I'm looking for effective rather than personal taste here, since I've no experience with pyro/sorc/miracles nor understand how well this aspect of the game is currently working out.
Level intelligence to 60.

Pick a weapon you like with low stat requirements, make it raw, and buff it with magic weapon.

Equip Young Dragon Ring, Bellowing Dragon Ring, Magic Clutch Ring, and Sage's Ring.

Have the Scholar's Candlestick on standby for the spell buff boost.

Great Heavy Soul Arrow is the most bang for your buck of any spell in the game.

Give Orbeck scrolls before Watchers or he'll leave you.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

pyromancy is your best bet from what I've seen but you should never go pure caster imo

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc
can someone effortpost and enumerate all of the "mechanical failings" of dark souls 3 cause i really didn't notice anything glaring when i was playing

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Deified Data posted:

The character is Dan Backslide from the Dover Boys, an old merry melodies cartoon, known for its energetic villain. Here it is

Cyberventurer
Jul 10, 2005

Deified Data posted:

It's from this old Warner Bros short called The Dover Boys at Pimento University.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dpOPyjmB8SI

Fun fact: Chuck Jones, the director, almost lost his job for his animation choice of characters blurring and stretching for fast movements, before it became a more widespread practice. :eng101:

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

BillmasterCozb posted:

The character is Dan Backslide from the Dover Boys, an old merry melodies cartoon, known for its energetic villain. Here it is

This was legit hilarious, thank you.

Deified Data fucked around with this message at 00:43 on May 26, 2016

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
74 years old and that cartoon is both really funny and well animated, what a good post BillmasterCozb

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Tetracube posted:

here let me help: dark souls 2 was mechanically solid but terribly uninspired.

I feel like the ds2 team was a lot better at learning from/correcting mistakes which is why the dlcs owned so much. ds2 team would've been like "oh poo poo we hosed up poise we'll patch it soon" whereas ds3 team is "haha gently caress you leaving out poise was totally intentional and we're never putting it back"

On the other hand, 60 fps weapon durability, which took them 2 years to admit was a problem and barely fix and is still janky as hell. Try swinging at any enemy while they do an invulnerable spawn-in animation some time, like the big dudes around the Fume Knight's room. Watch as your sword loses like 1/5th its durability bar per whiff.

KaiserSchnitzel
Feb 23, 2003

Hey baby I think we Havel lot in common

Skull Knight posted:

If you still need help with this, just let me know. I'll be around later in the evening (EST timezone) and I can help if needed; done a bunch of transfers for people before.

I do still need help with this; thanks!

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Charles Get-Out posted:

can someone effortpost and enumerate all of the "mechanical failings" of dark souls 3 cause i really didn't notice anything glaring when i was playing

Sure, as a PvP focused player here are some off the top of my head;

-lol poise
-Various covenants not working for some players for no reason
-Tons of wonky weapon hitboxes
-Split damage being bad again
-Many worthless infusions
-Many worthless spells
-Vit is a garbage stat
-Game being built off DS1 engine allowed hackers to easily break it with the same exact tricks

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
as a PvE kinda dude I don't like how enemies move at Bloodborne speeds but you move at Dark Souls speeds, but the enemies that do move at Dark Souls speed instead have insane hyperarmor on almost every attack and you don't even if you use the same weapons

I love Bloodborne, but Bloodborne works as a package deal... I don't love it just because it's really fast paced and aggressive, it needs everything attached to it to be good.

e: Magic is probably the best example of this in PvE. It feels really lethargic, takes forever to cast spells, the tracking sucks, and when you do hit... It does like normal attack damage.

RyokoTK fucked around with this message at 01:05 on May 26, 2016

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

I've built a pure pyromancer for NG+

SL 100, 40/40 int/fth

pyromancy flame +10, white hair talisman +10

great swamp ring, witch's ring, fire clutch ring, sage's ring

8 estus, 7 ashen estus

great chaos fireball and a rotation of chaos bed vestiges, chaos storm, and boulder heave, sometimes utility sorceries or dark pyros to mix things up

anything I'm missing? any pvp- or pve-specific changes I should make or know about?

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
PvP character, one spell slot, 10 INT 10 FTH. What do you choose?

Spook is the immediate choice for me but what else is there? Can the clouds be handy?

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
I'd be highly tempted to take something super cheap like Farron Dart so I could finish off people that are running away.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

I'm not aware of what stuff you can use at 10 but I never upgraded faith or int and used iron flesh. it's very situational, but sometimes its just what you need..

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

MrLonghair posted:

Spook is the immediate choice for me but what else is there? Can the clouds be handy?

I can't remember, is Chameleon doable with those numbers? If not it's real close. Either way if possible, hide and seek all day is good times.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Also while not a mechanical failure, stuff like this is why a lot of people are sour about DS3 invasions;

I don't get why two blues can even be summoned against one guy.

MrLonghair posted:

Nothing I can think of would be worth mana that could be spent on your weapon art instead. Spook is nice but the cat ring mostly does the same thing.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 01:32 on May 26, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

Charles Get-Out posted:

I will effortpost a bit harder than Internet Kraken, but I will say up front that there isn''t much I consider straight up glaring with the exception of Tallgeese pointing out how easy hacking is because it's literally the same hacks which worked for DS1 and were basically fixed in DS2 are now all back again.

But with that being said - I don't play on PC and won't, so unless hacking all of a sudden becomes ubiquitous on the PS4, it doesn't really affect me.

One more thing to point out - I abhor DS2. This is my favorite series of games ever and I can't stand 2. So keep all that in mind as I'm babbling, because most of my comparisons will be between 1 and 3.

- Poise: this is obviously the biggest one, yet I still wouldn't call it glaring - I have come to just consider it a difference in play style between 1 and 3. The way Poise worked in 1 is basically - if you have heavy enough armor on, or were swinging a heavy enough weapon, enemy attacks couldn't interrupt your attacks. If you were wearing Havel's full set, and fighting Rats in the Depths - the rats' attacks were basically inconsequential because you could keep attacking normally, since they couldn't hit you hard enough to break through the invisible poise number which would stagger you out of an attack. In 3 - heavy armor is effectively useless, because you have no poise whatsoever, and literally any attack can stagger you. Is it a huge deal? Eh. Not to me, since I always fastrolled in DS1. Mid-Roll and up feel like I am moving through molasses, so since I never really had Poise in that game due to my armor choices, I don't miss it as much. But it's sort of silly that a pack of rats is one of the most dangerous encounters in the game - no matter what level you are or what armor you are wearing because if you gently caress up the timing or get backed into a corner, they can literally keep you stunlocked until you die. And that's sorta stupid, even with dog-sized rats against a man in heavy armor.

-Menu/Inventory Screens: as much as I hate DS2, this is one thing it definitely got right, and while they brought most of it forward for 3, they missed a couple of things, so there's a bit of clunkiness here. The biggest one is the first screen which appears when you press Options, with the 5 choices across the top and 5 quick-use items below. I guess it must have been Bloobdborne which taught me to use the R1/L1 buttons to move across the top row, because I always try to here and it doesn't work. It works fine if I go to Inventory - then you use R1/L1 to navigate through the categories at the top. There are some other minor points here I'm not recalling.

-Straight Sword: PvP Metagaming has always been a thing in these games, and 3 is no exception. The problem is, in the older games a new hot poo poo build would get discovered and everyone would use it until someone found a counter build, then it would be on to the next hot poo poo build (GiantDad, et. al.). In DS3, the hot poo poo build is simply: Straight Sword of some sort, spam R1, watch out for parry fishers. it's SO good even in PvE that it trivializes a HUGE portion of the game. Part of the problem is the Poise thing mentioned above, but the other part is: straight swords seem to have hitboxes a LOT longer than the visual length of the weapon would indicate. This isn't just a lag thing, as videos have been made of a dude standing in his own game hitting a wall from distances which the sword should not be able to reach, yet he still hits it. So combine physics-defying hitboxes, with a super fast swinging weapon, and the fact that your opponent gets staggered if you tag him at all and you have a recipe for lovely, boring, unfun PvP.

-Summoning Phantoms: there is no animation for summoning a phantom. It's literally two button presses and can be performed even while running. There is also no limit to how many phantoms a host can summon. There is a limit to how many can be in the game at a time, but if one dies, the host can immediately summon another, ad infinitum. What this means for invaders is: you are up against a limitless number of meatshields because the host can just keep summoning while literally running away from you the entire time. That means limited healing resources for the invader, and effectively unlimited healing resources for the host. It rarely fun to play against such overwhelming odds. You might say "well I don't invade, so I don't care" or "invaders are dicks anyway" but that leads to the next point:

-Broken Autosummon Covenants: there are no less than 4 autosummon covenants in this one: Darkmoons, Aldrich Faithful, Farron Watchdogs and Blue Cops. Problem is: for some people (myself included) they literally do not work. By that I mean, I can wear the covenant item and be playing for literal hours at a known good PvP level and never get a single summon. I have logged upwards of 80 hours across multiple characters, and I have a grand total of 7 Watchdog summons (on a character purpose built to stay at SL 30 for that specific covenant), 2 Aldritch summons, and that's it. No Darkmoons, no BlueCops. All that would be fine except: trophies. You cannot finish the trophies for Rings, Spells or Miracles without ranking up in Covenants. So like the other games - there's an enemy to farm to get the covenant items, right? Yes - except the drop rates are stupidly low. People have posted in this thread about having item find upwards of 400 and farming silver knights for hours and only getting 1 or 2 drops of the covenant item. You may not care about trophies, but some people do (like me) and it sucks that they are gated behind broken poo poo. I hope since this is the last hurrah for the series that they will sort out the problem in the DLC or a patch, but like....Gravelording never really did work right in DS1. So who knows?

Anything else I noticed was little poo poo like textures missing or draw distance pop-in, etc. But that's true of most any game, so I can usually ignoring. Can't think of any horrible examples off the top of my head anyway.

There you go. Effortpost!