Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
There's a reason reanimator effects are all Sorceries these days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

newtestleper
Oct 30, 2003
I would love to do a draft of EMA, or even just open a couple of packs. I'm too broke, but even the commons are likely to be exciting, interesting cards to introduce into the (shared) cardpool that my buddies and I draw from to make and improve our EDH decks.

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug
Ok guys, this is totally random, but was just linked in the Overwatch thread, I feel this is relevant to magic players as well.
https://twitter.com/Revitalize/status/734292331688431617

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Skyl3lazer posted:

~Supposedly~ the white colorshift of Damnation is in at Rare, but unsure if this is real.

damnation is the black colorshift of wrath doofus

Errant Gin Monks posted:

I know it shouldn't because this whole set is just a money grab for wizards, but shifting rarity up on everything either good or expensive is aggravating the gently caress out of me. This set would have been hysterically awesome if strix, force and top were uncommon like they should be.

gently caress the secondary market. Wizards needs money, I am happy as gently caress to give it to you if I can rip 12 forces from a box along with a bunch of tops.

stop using precon rarity as a fuckin benchmark, it means nothing, force was Uncommon 1 iirc which was basically rare when rare didn't exist yet, this is fuckin stupid

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
"if it's on the battlefield" text is also on creatures that bounce themselves/or another creature when attacking or blocking.

just rust
Oct 23, 2012

There are almost certainly a lot of "casual" edh players who are clamoring to buy a box or more of EMA just to crack. The inclusion of Maelstrom Wanderer, Nev's Disk, etc. is helping to communicate to that group of players that this set is for the EDH crowd, as well. (Which is fine.)

For those of you scratching your head wondering who this set is appealing to when it actually isn't going to do anything to make Legacy more accessible, there's your answer. Surely you've seen the people who walk in to the LGS at release day religiously and spend an obscene amount of money on boxes or cases and disappear until the next set releases.

just rust fucked around with this message at 22:36 on May 25, 2016

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

just rust posted:

There are almost certainly a lot of "casual" edh players who are clamoring to buy a box or more of EMA just to crack. The inclusion of Maelstrom Wanderer, Nev's Disk, etc. is helping to communicate to that group of players that this set is for the EDH crowd, as well. (Which is fine.)
For those of you scratching your head wondering who this set is appealing to when it actually isn't going to do anything to make Legacy more accessible, there's your answer. Surely you've seen the people who walk in to the LGS at release day religiously and spend an obscene amount of money on boxes or cases and disappear until the next set releases.

its not called legacy masters for a reason namaste bitches

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug
It's me, I'm going to try to draft Maelstrom Wanderer + Karakas.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Literally The Worst posted:

That's the joke, you dork.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
https://twitter.com/wizards_magic/status/735584582255415296

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Some Numbers posted:

That's the joke, you dork.

look i cant assume that people in this thread aren't saying dumb poo poo in earnest

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

its not called legacy masters for a reason namaste bitches

We all know that "eternal" includes vintage as well, and some people stretch it to include modern, but does anyone really say "eternal format" in common usage and intend for people to understand that they're talking about EDH? Honest question.

It's similar to how when I say, e.g. "the Modern format" I think it's usually pretty well understood that I'm talking about it as it applies to reasonably organized competitive play and not Bob's kitchen table, even if Bob and his friends are (intentionally or otherwise) playing within all the Modern legality rules.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

look i cant assume that people in this thread aren't saying dumb poo poo in earnest

I mean, that's fair, since someone told me straight faced that the new WoG art was the white version of Damnation.

However, calling WoG the white Damnation also makes sense because who the gently caress cares about WoG in TYOOL 2016?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

JerryLee posted:

We all know that "eternal" includes vintage as well, and some people stretch it to include modern, but does anyone really say "eternal format" in common usage and intend for people to understand that they're talking about EDH? Honest question.

It's similar to how when I say, e.g. "the Modern format" I think it's usually pretty well understood that I'm talking about it as it applies to reasonably organized competitive play and not Bob's kitchen table, even if Bob and his friends are (intentionally or otherwise) playing within all the Modern legality rules.

i mean it does include edh but not modern, most people just don't think of EDH because it's not competitive

modern isn't eternal at all though because it doesn't include supplemental products

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
damnation won't be in EMA because Zvi Moshowitz did his job.

obviously sounds silly now but in context u/b tidings was very dominant in that standard.

Zoness fucked around with this message at 22:51 on May 25, 2016

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
What decks run Damnation these days anyway? Aren't almost all playable sweepers 3 mana or less in anything outside of Standard and EDH?

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

whydirt posted:

What decks run Damnation these days anyway? Aren't almost all playable sweepers 3 mana or less in anything outside of Standard and EDH?

Jund runs one in the board. It's not played that much, but it does see some scattered play.

:thejoke:

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 22:59 on May 25, 2016

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

whydirt posted:

it is an option for black control decks in modern but i'm guessing edh plays it a lot

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
Damnation is also one of in BTL scapeshift

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
Critical board card in tier 1 Liliana's Rack.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

mandatory lesbian posted:

it is an option for black control decks in modern but i'm guessing edh plays it a lot

Its pretty much a staple in every black edh deck ever.

Couple modern decks play it too. I know the Thopter Sword decks running Gifts want it along with a couple other Wraths

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013
Can't wait to Cabal Therapy Squadron Hawk in limited

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Entropic posted:

This always and forever.

I'm seriously confused by the pages of people complaining about Control Magic and Diminishing Returns or whatever at Rare. Did you honestly think they would only put money cards in the rare slot? Do you not remember Modern Masters? Do you not remember Modern Masters 2015?

I will always love how much of a clusterfuck the modern Oracle text for cards like Animate Dead is. Imagine being a new player who's never heard of Animate dead and trying to figure out what it actually does. The "enchant creature card in a graveyard" templating is especially confusing because Animate dead is actually on the battlefield, not in the graveyard, while it's enchanting a card in a graveyard, which is pretty unintuitive.

I was kind of laughing at how non-obvious it is what it does, but I'm guessing 99% of players could guess what it was intended to do by its name.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
https://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2016/05/magic-the-gatheringeternal-masters-preview-cards.html

Wee Dragonauts U and Call the Skybreaker again R. No new arts.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Zoness posted:

lol if you buy packs for anything other than limited

There's two types of players:

1) Players that crack packs;
2) Players that crack packs and lie about it on the internet.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

This. This is the rare everyone will open and be mad about.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
That card is still cooler than Rorix.

Is there a good formula for putting together a cube draft of a set? I really enjoyed MM15 and would love to draft it more (and have enough packs cracked to make up a pile of commons/uncommons) and would like to potentially do that for EMA as well.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Count Bleck posted:

This. This is the rare everyone will open and be mad about.

it's a pretty easy first pick. splashable unbeatable rare? :getin:

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Call the Skybreaker seems like it's unbeatable in limited, unless they really push aggro

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

Sigma-X posted:

That card is still cooler than Rorix.

Is there a good formula for putting together a cube draft of a set? I really enjoyed MM15 and would love to draft it more (and have enough packs cracked to make up a pile of commons/uncommons) and would like to potentially do that for EMA as well.

Think it's usually 1x rare/mythic, 2x for uncommons, and 3/4x for each common.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Y'all. Why are y'all always so cranky.

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug

rabidsquid posted:

Y'all. Why are y'all always so cranky.

We play Magic the Gathering

Foreskin Problems
Nov 4, 2012

It's doing fine, actually.
Hydro/Pyroblast were just spoiled. It's been a good week for pauper cards on mtgo!

just rust
Oct 23, 2012

Foreskin Problems posted:

Hydro/Pyroblast were just spoiled. It's been a good week for pauper cards on mtgo!

That's what I'm talkin bout. Now for oubliette, cuombajj witches, and chainer's edict in a paper common printing. (I don't think any of these will happen unfortunately.)

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

I actually fistpumped when I saw them, it's great. Now just holding out hope for Food Chain. :ohdear:

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

This set looks like a blast to draft, can't wait.

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please

Yessssss gimme dat foil Pyroblast

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

The problem with No Reserved Legacy is that it completely renders Legacy itself redundant because its practically the same format with marginally worse lands and a few degenerate decks or sideboard strategies no longer legal and a far larger number of people actually playing it (sure I guess the cost of a particular deck could somehow increase more than $1000, but I find that unlikely in reality).

Like the average deck loses dual lands and maybe a City of Traitors.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 00:33 on May 26, 2016

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Ok the Pyroblast reprint is really cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Angry Grimace posted:

The problem with No Reserved Legacy is that it completely renders Legacy itself redundant because its practically the same format with marginally worse lands and a few degenerate decks or sideboard strategies no longer legal and a far larger number of people actually playing it (sure I guess the cost of a particular deck could somehow increase more than $1000, but I find that unlikely in reality).

Like the average deck loses dual lands and maybe a City of Traitors.

Some would argue this is a plus

• Locked thread