Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

objects in mirror
Apr 9, 2016

by Shine
Those of you complaining about the behavior of pubs in pub games --

Have you actually tried communicating with your teammates via voice chat and telling them what to do in a firm and confident tone that isn't demeaning?

Or are you guys just expecting a bunch of people who don't realize greater joy and fun can be had by being more cooperative and pushing objectives to just sort of intuit what to do?

If you think your teammates in pub games are loving up, say so in a non-nasty fashion ("Guys, CAN WE PLEASE stay near the objective and push the cart? That's how we win!")

I haven't tried doing this yet but I'm gonna tonight in any of the pub games I play where they gently caress up. I say all this because I remember a few weeks ago in the stress test there was one game where this one fellow took charge and started telling us how to function better as a unit and we all followed him.

People want to win and you just have to nudge them in that direction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

:matters:

I've been waking up at about ~8PM EST every day. Telling everyone I'm on Eastern Overwatch Time :negative:

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Help Im Alive posted:

Who's the best character if I want to make roadhog players cry

Zarya. If she gets hooked, she'll survive Roadhog's first shot and she'll be able to pop her shield before Roadhog can get a second shot off. Also if one of her teammates gets hooked she can give them a shield to protect them during the stun and totally ruin Roadhog's combo.

objects in mirror
Apr 9, 2016

by Shine

I LIKE TO SMOKE WEE posted:

I've been waking up at about ~8PM EST every day. Telling everyone I'm on Eastern Overwatch Time :negative:

What is your life status such that you can wake up 8 pm east every day.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

objects in mirror posted:

Those of you complaining about the behavior of pubs in pub games --

Have you actually tried communicating with your teammates via voice chat and telling them what to do in a firm and confident tone that isn't demeaning?

Or are you guys just expecting a bunch of people who don't realize greater joy and fun can be had by being more cooperative and pushing objectives to just sort of intuit what to do?

If you think your teammates in pub games are loving up, say so in a non-nasty fashion ("Guys, CAN WE PLEASE stay near the objective and push the cart? That's how we win!")

I haven't tried doing this yet but I'm gonna tonight in any of the pub games I play where they gently caress up. I say all this because I remember a few weeks ago in the stress test there was one game where this one fellow took charge and started telling us how to function better as a unit and we all followed him.

Reading the complaining about pub players in every video game I've learned that goons are expert video game champions and pubbies are some kind of inferior non-human life form

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
re: making mic comms, remember that it defaults your channel to your group, meaning if you're queueing with even one other person no one else can hear you speak unless you go into your social menu (i think?) and change to the team instead of group. i'm not sure if its the same in reverse, if people in groups cant hear you if you're talking, because its hard to tell if people just never talk or if they're in groups and not changing.

Modguy
Nov 9, 2012

Jastiger posted:

Symmetra still needs a buffer but she's still fun.

Re: toxicity, I've always said the best way to combat toxicity is to remove anonymity. People are far less likely to be toxic if it removes them from all blizzard games and has their real name attached. It's not like lol where you can just make another account. It works.

Blizzard tried to do EXACTLY this in 2010. The rage and Bawwing was incredible. They wont attempt it again.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

vyst posted:

I love playing as Mercy. Is that weird?
Its extremely weird

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
How'd I do as Reinhardt?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwWYbZLTOao

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before

Help Im Alive posted:

Reading the complaining about pub players in every video game I've learned that goons are expert video game champions and pubbies are some kind of inferior non-human life form

The best was people in the league of legends thread posting screenshots of themselves playing a non-carry character with some crazy good end score or something and then being like 'fuckin pubbies we still lost :rolleyes:'

Ya mate 14 kills on a support champion, who knows where the team went wrong

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Modguy posted:

Blizzard tried to do EXACTLY this in 2010. The rage and Bawwing was incredible. They wont attempt it again.

sorry but i'd rather not give more tools to angry 15 year olds to swat and doxx people with lady voices or who have the audacity to put a smiley face in chat after they get a flashbang

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

abigserve posted:

Ya mate 14 kills on a support champion, who knows where the team went wrong

I don't wanna make a big poo poo flinging thing, but if the support is doing significantly that much more than your big DPS mans, there's legit probably a big issue elsewhere on the team.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Help Im Alive posted:

I mean, the average videogame player is TERRIBLE tho. Have you seen game journalists/Youtubers playing games ever? We're just kings of poo poo mountain.

I basically just pop chat up and try giving people advice nicely. The first few times, at least. Then I give up and play Widowmaker or Mei or something that won't contribute anything but lemme piss off some peoples. But sometimes it works and I try to be positive when people are being helpful and change things up.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Ya did good there champ.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Pakled posted:

Players with higher "on fire" meters have louder footsteps to enemies. That's the only gameplay effect of it I know of.

So that's what the tooltip means when it says "Players with louder footsteps are more dangerous". I was like "yeah tell that to silent Genji as he comes around a corner and slices you up". Makes more sense now.

On that same note, Overwatch is the first game in 30+ years of video games that gives tooltips that actually loving help. It's hilarious that in TYOOL 2016 most games still say things like "Watch out for grenades, they will kill you if you're near them!". Overwatch actually gives you very pertinent information regarding how you died and why. At least ten times I have died and got a tooltip that gave me actual insight to what happened and how I can avoid it.

Buckwheat Sings
Feb 9, 2005

TheTatteredKing posted:

No. The shot is instant you will die when hooked. Also hog can possibly survive the flash bang combo anyway with his massive health and heal.

Roadhog has trouble with Mei, specifically. And good widows typically.

He can flash nade before Roadhog can combo. It's instant at close range if he hammers the button. It actually was a big discussion in here during beta about it. And two full gun combos into Roadhog's huge hitbox frame will kill at close range.

But yeah Mei would be the easier option to counter him. Walls to block hooks and freeze to annoy.

Zorodius posted:

only a true master could do that...

Only a few do it. Most freak out when hooked by Roadhog and fail to kill.

Buckwheat Sings fucked around with this message at 02:17 on May 26, 2016

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Main Paineframe posted:

Zarya. If she gets hooked, she'll survive Roadhog's first shot and she'll be able to pop her shield before Roadhog can get a second shot off. Also if one of her teammates gets hooked she can give them a shield to protect them during the stun and totally ruin Roadhog's combo.

Also shield blocks hook

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Ya did good there champ.

I wish it caught just seconds before when I charged Lucio off the map. I just did a charge from way back and the charge just stopped right as lucio flew off the map.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Dias posted:

I mean, the average videogame player is TERRIBLE tho. Have you seen game journalists/Youtubers playing games ever? We're just kings of poo poo mountain.

I basically just pop chat up and try giving people advice nicely. The first few times, at least. Then I give up and play Widowmaker or Mei or something that won't contribute anything but lemme piss off some peoples. But sometimes it works and I try to be positive when people are being helpful and change things up.

Yeah I know most people are awful but the weird smug complaining you see sometimes about how pub players are beneath the goon masterminds always just makes me roll my eyes

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
I just made the worst Play of the Game of all time. I've never seen a worse one yet.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvKw6gk0Efs

I was just wandering around since our team had it on lock and was going to get a good nest and just shot at this ninja guy and well..

I think Bastion might be weighted towards getting Play of the Game cause there were some dope Roadhog grabs going on.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

vyst posted:

It's not weird but I have trouble figuring out what I can do other than keep beams on most people and try to not die. I played a lot of medic in tf2 and the benefit with Lucio and other is you can still move freely and use a primary weapon. If you have advice as to what to do as mercy id be interested

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Buckwheat Sings posted:

He can flash nade before Roadhog can combo. It's instant at close range if he hammers the button. It actually was a big discussion in here during beta about it. And two full gun combos into Roadhog's huge hitbox frame will kill at close range.

it's not that simple - roadhog's hook has a fixed (very short) stun duration, meaning that getting hooked from 2-3 character distances away you probably won't be able to flashbang before he meatshots you. a long-range hook will definitely have the stun wear off before he can kill you though, and in that case yeah you can flashbang.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Drakes posted:

Did you ever play TF2? First time I saw the payload in Overwatch I figured that'll probably heal me.
A little bit, mostly in the very early days though.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Help Im Alive posted:

Yeah I know most people are awful but the weird smug complaining you see sometimes about how pub players are beneath the goon masterminds always just makes me roll my eyes

I mean, I'll be the first to admit I'm trash, I'm just astonished that there are people much worse than me with a similar time invested on the game, hehe.

They never wanna play support or tank either, it's always Reaper, Genji and snipers.

Buckwheat Sings
Feb 9, 2005

Countblanc posted:

it's not that simple - roadhog's hook has a fixed (very short) stun duration, meaning that getting hooked from 2-3 character distances away you probably won't be able to flashbang before he meatshots you. a long-range hook will definitely have the stun wear off before he can kill you though, and in that case yeah you can flashbang.

No. I mean McCree can flashbang AFTER the hook. Try it, it's nuts.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

objects in mirror posted:

Tell that to the sniper in every game sitting above the point and trying to snipe 6 people off the objective, missing an entire magazine of uncharged shots, and just freezing when they send a genji up there to deal with her.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Buckwheat Sings posted:

No. I mean McCree can flashbang AFTER the hook. Try it, it's nuts.

That's just a McCree thing, right? Every time I mashed M2 as Lúcio and escaped a hook kill was other people being terribad, I assume?

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

WE HAVE TO CONTROL OUR ENVIRONMENT
IF YOU SEE ME POSTING OUTSIDE OF THE AUSPOL THREAD PLEASE TELL ME THAT I'M MISSED AND TO START POSTING AGAIN
What I like about TF2 and Overwatch is that most people are just as bad as I am, so there's less pressure and I can just play them casually. Besides, it takes time to learn the game.
I never have voice chat on, though, and playing on console means I can't really communicate with the team without it. I'm fine with that.

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

EA GAMES' MASTERPIECE 'MADDEN 2018 G.O.A.T. EDITION' IS A GLORIOUS TRIUMPH OF ART AND TECHNOLOGY. IT BRINGS GAMEDAY RIGHT TO THE PLAYER AND WHOEVER SAYS OTHERWISE CAN, YOU GUESSED IT...
SUCK THE SHIT STRAIGHT OUT OF MY OWN ASSHOLE.

BUY IT.

Asimo posted:

Yeah I'm not good enough to play this. Figured I could maybe have some fun with mercy or winston or the like, since despite being nearly 40 with a shoulder injury I could at least take advantage of actually doing support or paying attention to the objectives, but that hasn't really... worked in practice. Most of the matches have been horrible unfun slog losses where I spend two seconds actually playing and the rest respawning or running back. 25% average win rate, 10% weapon accuracy... it's definitely fun when things are actually kind of even, but that really only happened during the open beta. Maybe I'll try again in a week or two when the matchmaking is better populated and I have a chance of playing alongside fellow trash, but I'm not holding my breath.

At least I had a load of fun in quake back in the day. :smith:

have you tweaked your mouse settings? got a mouse with a decent sensor, mouse acceleration turned off, claw grip, that kind of thing? are you pre-aiming, so your crosshair is pretty much lined up before you go around the corner? if you have a shoulder injury you'd probably want to go for wrist control and hence a higher sensitivity, but still low as you're comfortable with

Buckwheat Sings
Feb 9, 2005

Dias posted:

That's just a McCree thing, right? Every time I mashed M2 as Lúcio and escaped a hook kill was other people being terribad, I assume?

The timing is tight as hell but McCree can pop his nade and Tracer can rewind before the murder combo. Not sure about Lucio.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Help Im Alive posted:

You're being tricked by selection bias

No one will ever post about the mildly competent and forgettable pubs they play with

People who had a great experience are going to keep playing

People who had a terrible experience are going to take a break / stop playing, and perhaps post about it to vent their frustrations. There are hundreds of people reading this thread, it only takes a couple dozen people to post (seperately!) about their bad experience for other readers to get the impression that Every Goon Hates Pubbies

Help Im Alive posted:

:ironicat:

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I've never managed to rewind from a flashbang as a Tracer but I've had it happen to me as a McCree.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Also Brannock's right nobody complains about the vast majority of pubs they play with, it's only the outliers that get posted about.

Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?

Dias posted:

Sometimes its a positioning thing, like if roadhog shifts around after hooking you could windup in a position he wasn't quite expecting and half his shot goes around you.

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

Low morale causes the golems to dance in panic.

vyst posted:

I am an awful mercy that keeps getting focus-fired by literally every enemy and spends 90% of the game furiously mashing shift but none of my allies are within LoS due to like the 3200 buildings that lay in my way.

I think most of my problem with it has to do with the fact that I got no good feel for how long her healstaff's range is.

Very nice. Though I'm a bigger fan of using the combo of Earthshatter -> Firestrike -> Charge to deal a good spread of damage to enemies. Thing about firestrike is that it does pierce through multiple people, so it makes it an excellent followup. Then again the cooldowns didn't exactly make way for that, so you worked will with what ya got.

Do your highlights just get disposed after a certain amount of time? First time I checked them I had a couple in kings row with Bastion, but checking again today was just earlier Reinhardt/Reaper/Pharah runs I had on different maps. Just would be a big shame if I permanently lost anything I actually executed well :smith:

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I got sentry ladies legendary outfit after mty first box from playing her. Shes great and fun. :worship:

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Buckwheat Sings posted:

The timing is tight as hell but McCree can pop his nade and Tracer can rewind before the murder combo. Not sure about Lucio.

That guy was explaining how that won't work if road hog hooks you close enough. The stun time isn't increased for travel time, if you're hooked closer you're stunned for longer after he's done the hook.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

Does anyone know the particulars of matchmaking yet? Specifically at what point does it throw you against other arranged teams? For example IIRC in League if you are just a group of 2 it throws you into regular solo queue, but anything above that and it puts you up against other arranged teams.

And on a side note: I love fighting other Pharah's as Pharah. You young fucks don't got no tribes experience you can't hang with an spinfusor MA og :hellyeah:

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:
I've never been really into FPS games too much, how do I improve my hit accuracy besides "git good"? When I play Soldier its like 37%, I'm terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Shnooks posted:

I've never been really into FPS games too much, how do I improve my hit accuracy besides "git good"? When I play Soldier its like 37%, I'm terrible.

Tweak your mouse DPI so you're not overshooting when you're trying to aim?