Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Epinephrine
Nov 7, 2008
Suppose Rangoon is truly empty and Grey takes it asap with no casualties. How much does this change the state of the game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Epinephrine posted:

Suppose Rangoon is truly empty and Grey takes it asap with no casualties. How much does this change the state of the game?

To fully evaluate your hypothetical, are we to assume Grey is still playing? This is important.

Epinephrine
Nov 7, 2008

TildeATH posted:

To fully evaluate your hypothetical, are we to assume Grey is still playing? This is important.
Assume Gray, a player from an alternate universe with sufficient luck to have this happen and sufficient reliability to not make a mistake.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Epinephrine posted:

Assume Gray, a player from an alternate universe with sufficient luck to have this happen and sufficient reliability to not make a mistake.

Oh, then in that case he's drinking tea in Rawalpindi before the monsoons.

RA Rx
Mar 24, 2016

Hey, Grey once sank a full Japanese carrier with a blind shot using an early war BuOrd torpedo after sacrificing his deck crew to the Deep Ones (oh he says it was a bug).

I'm half expecting him to sink multiple carrier task forces through some foul dark magic.

RA Rx fucked around with this message at 09:34 on May 27, 2016

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

He's also managed to avoid getting any carriers sunk so far, purely through luck. We're 6 months into the war and neither side has lost any carriers.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

TildeATH posted:

Oh, then in that case he's drinking tea in Rawalpindi before the monsoons.

Yeah, I think the major focus of my attacks has been decided for me.

TO INDIA!

A White Guy posted:

He's also managed to avoid getting any carriers sunk so far, purely through luck. We're 6 months into the war and neither side has lost any carriers.

That's only because the Allies won't come out and play. I may have to attack Midway.....

whitewhale
Feb 21, 2013
Have the subs operating around Pearl been pulled back? Can't recall much happening around those parts of late.

No troops in key cities and the entire allied fleet missing? Hmm... I wonder if the AI is planning a full scale land invasion of Japan.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

whitewhale posted:

Have the subs operating around Pearl been pulled back? Can't recall much happening around those parts of late.

No troops in key cities and the entire allied fleet missing? Hmm... I wonder if the AI is planning a full scale land invasion of Japan.

There are still subs operating, they just haven't run into anything good in the last few days. Hopefully we'll see that change soon.

Also, for those not following the Lovecraftian CYOA (we're just finishing up our Parisian Communist Art thief btw.) , I thought I'd cross post this.

Grey Hunter posted:

I would like to take a moment to assure everyone the proper sacrifices have been made to ensure the success of this CYOA.

I told the Wife going in I would be a terrible father. So this is her fault really.

I'm trying to comment on things more atm - with the Wifes pregnancy, the Croctopod's birth and a case of cancer leading to death running alongside those events, I've not been as chatty as I should be.
Hopefully the change should be noted in the last/next few days!

Grey Hunter fucked around with this message at 08:16 on May 26, 2016

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Good luck on all your stuff going on grey. It's pretty amazing you can keep this up with all of it happening!

Rangoon is looking good, onwards to India!

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

We continue to take the occasional hit from the shore batteries.

As we close in on their old airbase, the Allied planes relocate. Our pilots get a surprise.

More ships are seen fleeing the area.

We greet another invasion of Tarakan with vigorous fire.

The last enemy forces in the north of Java are destroyed.

We start clearing out the next town.

The enemy have not attacked in a few days, so we are forced to throw away a lot of troops to get things moving, But this is the base to take, so any number of losses are acceptable, as long as we take it.

A bloody day in China, and the carriers are finding nothing to kill near Rangoon. Java continues to go well though.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
im sorry is that 12k casualties in a single attack

RA Rx
Mar 24, 2016

Ow.

Any reinforcements nearby?

whitewhale
Feb 21, 2013

Tiler Kiwi posted:

im sorry is that 12k casualties in a single attack

100,000 defenders sat behind level 6 forts...

Let's just say that 12,000 is going to be a fairly small part of the total lost there.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

RA Rx posted:

Ow.

Any reinforcements nearby?

He's going to need them, I'd guess at least another 100k troops. That supply situation needs to change too.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Japanese odds 1:31

gently caress. Might have to think about this a bit more.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
356 Squads Destroyed!!! JFC. When you overran Singas you only destroyed 250.

RA Rx
Mar 24, 2016

Worst thing is going by the writing Grey probably didn't stop completely.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

Their guns will stop firing because they'll be jammed with the gore of Japanese heros! Tenno Heika Banzai!

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler
The Navy list 3200 men in an accident ? The Army will have to do better, order a full attack into the Chungking Fortress !!

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

A White Guy posted:

Their guns will stop firing because they'll be jammed with the gore of Japanese heros! Tenno Heika Banzai!

In a new and highly unorthodox tactics, Japanese soldiers are ordered to let themselves be pulverized by enemy fire. The Chnese army will then inhale the cloud of prions and all of them will die a couple years along the line from Creutzfeldt–Jakob disease. Grey is playing the long game.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Hey, look, it's the Maury that the game said you sunk, loving up your bombers.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.
And apparently that attack was against fort level 6. drat. Knowing Grey, he probably attacks several more times in the hopes of lowering that fort level, wasting some 30,000 men in the process. This will be an extraordinarily tough nut to crack--probably will require a long seige. I'd cut off supplies as completely as possible first. Is there any way to get bombers over them, too?

Edit: Also I don't see a leaders(+) for the attacker Grey! You have the points, use them!

Natty Ninefingers
Feb 17, 2011
This is perfectly in line with history imo. Everyone took the wrong lesson from Port Arthur, and the Japanese never had WW1 to teach them otherwise

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Needs open, stocked supply lines, then a few months of bombardment. Killing all those dudes just reduced his supply requirements and freed it up for artillery munitions. Genius!

Moving up another few hundred guns would be good. Any 'tanks' that are available as well.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Natty Ninefingers posted:

This is perfectly in line with history imo. Everyone took the wrong lesson from Port Arthur, and the Japanese never had WW1 to teach them otherwise

"Everyone took the wrong lesson from Port Arthur the Russo-Japanese War" neatly sums up Japan's strategic and doctrinal problems in WW2 in general.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
This is what happens when you do things half-assedly with "deliberate attacks". A shock attack would have ended the entire war in China right then and there! I thought the Japanese were all about big, flashy decisive battles, too.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax
Yeah maybe bombard them for a while to eat their supplies...

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

YeOldeButchere posted:

This is what happens when you do things half-assedly with "deliberate attacks". A shock attack would have ended the entire war in China right then and there! I thought the Japanese were all about big, flashy decisive battles, too.

I agree. Those Chinese peasants just need to be shown your fighting spirit and they will crumble.

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost

Goetta posted:

I agree. Those Chinese peasants just need to be shown your fighting spirit and they will crumble.

Yeah, kick the door of their bunker and the entire rotten structure will collapse. What could go wrong?

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Cowards!

We pick off another fleeing ship.

Bombing runs soften up the unspellable city.

Our fighters do better today.

Again?

You know the drill by now.

A quick counter attack destroys their paltry force.

We make more progress here.

Yeah, this is going to be bloody.

We're holding – for now!

We start another battle, but it seems the enemy are lacking combat squads.

We send another force retreating north.

A bit of a break even day – we killed some, but lost some as well.

Some random ship losses.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
We just need to build a brown water navy, sail the whole lot up that river and bombard them with those.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

goatface posted:

We just need to build a brown water navy, sail the whole lot up that river and bombard them with those.

that river

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Oh, it is actually the Yangtze? Yeah then, my plan is even more likely to work. Strap a load of floats to the Yamato until she sits high in the water and sail her up there too.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

The Dutch invaded, said "oh poo poo", left and then came back :psyduck:

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.
Also Grey besides no leader(+) it looks like your men are disrupted, fatigued, and lacking in supply. Maybe fix those things before attacking again and wasting pixel mans?

Slippery42
Nov 10, 2011
Whoa, the Chinese only about 100 adjusted AV from pulling off 2:1 combat odds in Chungking there after yesterday's slaughter. Grey's forces might actually get dislodged! Strategically, not the worst thing that can happen if it convinces him to let that doomstack recover and look elsewhere. Knock out China's other industry centers, cut off supply from Chungking, and try again in 6 months.

Got any troops advancing in northeast China? I think there are a few oil/refining centers up there that would be nice to have.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

Cantorsdust posted:

Also Grey besides no leader(+) it looks like your men are disrupted, fatigued, and lacking in supply. Maybe fix those things before attacking again and wasting pixel mans?

He just did a bombardment, the Allies were the ones who attacked today.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Yeah, even a bombardment is going to cost 600 or so casualties to us. It's going to be a bloody battle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

gohuskies posted:

He just did a bombardment, the Allies were the ones who attacked today.

Yeah, but the defender is the one with tons of (-) traits. I can't see why Grey would attack with so many negatives, especially when he seems to be ahead of schedule and can easily wait them out in Chungking until he clears out the rest of China