Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Gavok posted:

"Oh no, Adrian! New 52 is a creative and financial mess! WHAT DO WE DOOOOOOO?!"

"We call The Watchmen!"

Jon gave the DCU cancer; now he'll turn into a car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I'll definitely give Gary Frank, Ivan Reis and Brad Anderson, as well as the letterer some props. The impression of Gibbons et al in the last segment of Rebirth is fairly convincing.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.

X-O posted:

DC Rebirth books I'll be checking out.

Batman*
Detective Comics*
Nightwing*
Batgirl
Action Comics*
Superman*
Supergirl
Wonder Woman*
Trinity
Flash*
Super Sons
Blue Beetle

That's seven twice monthly titles and five monthly titles. I wish Titans was written by anyone else but Abnett because I really wanted to read something with Wally. But I'm not going to get drawn into another of his books based on hopes that this is the one where he finally gets his poo poo together. Other books like Green Arrow, Deathstroke by Priest, or even Cyborg (who I don't like at all but the writer gave a really interesting pitch for it at the Rebirth streaming event) I might have taken a look at but I have no interest in buying two of each of those titles a month.

Wally's going to be in The Flash so you don't have to worry about that if you hate Abnett so much.

It's not explicitly confirmed but it got the same warning Titans got(probably for the same reason) and Wally has a role to fit right into in the solicits as the Max Mercury to kidWally's Bart Allen. Nothing about Rebirth so far would affect The Flash enough to need that "READ REBIRTH FIRST" warning unless it was Wally showing up in the book.

Two Tone Shoes fucked around with this message at 00:49 on May 26, 2016

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Rhyno posted:

Something that was heavily hyped by the publisher and then then didn't follow through at all. They even sent out emails to retailers promising this revelation would be enormous and urged us to triple our orders.

gently caress DC.

Weird, since it's fairly clear that that reveal was intended just for Justice League #50.

Actually, it's more than a bit odd that Rebirth just recapped the Joker and Wonder Woman reveals without advancing them at all.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

X-O posted:

I'd have said the same about Jurgens but Lois and Clark has been really good and I am looking forward to his Superman book in Rebirth.

I think Lois and Clark was carried a lot by the concept. Pre-Flashpoint Superman and Lois, and they have a kid? A competent writer like Jurgens won't mess that up.

Speaking of, the biggest thing out of Rebirth beyond the Watchmen thing might be the Lois and Clark Superman. "You and your family are not what you believe you are. And neither was the fallen Superman." Sounds to me like the supposed pre-Flashpoint Superman is the "true" Superman, while the "fallen" one... isn't an impostor, but kinda? Wally's story seems to run counter to the whole idea behind this Superman's pre-Flashpoint introduction, which spun out of Convergence.

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

I'd really hate if they made New52 Superman some sort of impostor. Morrison's and Pak's Action Comics runs showed that he was definitively Superman in character and ideals in his own way.

As for Rebirth I'll be reading:
Batman
All Star Batman
Deathstroke
The Hellblazer
The Flash
Green Arrow
Wonder Woman
Suicide Squad

I'll keep reading Dr Fate because I just can't help but enjoy it even if it's a bit slow and has an odd take on Med school and I'll probably give Cyborg, Trinity and Blue Beetle a chance too.

Barry Convex posted:

Weird, since it's fairly clear that that reveal was intended just for Justice League #50.

Actually, it's more than a bit odd that Rebirth just recapped the Joker and Wonder Woman reveals without advancing them at all.

That's probably cause they'll be followed up in their series. At the very least Rucka's "Lies" storyline sounds like it'll be about this twin brother Jason reveal.

EDIT: Oh yeah Omega Men had such a good ending holy poo poo. I hope Tom King writes GL someday.

AFoolAndHisMoney fucked around with this message at 01:26 on May 26, 2016

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

I can't wait to see the first refund check for Rebirth posted!

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I think the theory is that Nu52 Superman is pre-Flashpoint Kon-El and Superdad is of course the same Superman we've known since 1986.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...
My reading list:

Batgirl & The Birds of Prey
Batman
Detective Comics
Green Arrow
Green Lanterns
The Hellblazer
Nightwing
Supergirl
Wonder Woman

I'll try but don't know how long they'll stay;

Batgirl
Batman Beyond
Blue Beetle
Red Hood & The Outlaws (I'm morbidly curious!)
New Superman
Titans (I have terrible pattern recognition!)
Teen Titans (I have nostalgia and more money than sense!)
Suicide Squad
Superwoman

burnishedfume fucked around with this message at 01:30 on May 26, 2016

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Hopefully they'll use this opportunity to bring Vic Sage back to life, so he can tell Rorschach what he thinks of him to his face.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!

Travis343 posted:

I think the theory is that Nu52 Superman is pre-Flashpoint Kon-El and Superdad is of course the same Superman we've known since 1986.
Who's theory? That's the first I've heard of it.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
As someone that actually liked the N52, Rebirth didn't do anything for me. The whole "we hosed up, here's the fix" stuff was too into the nose for my tastes, I don't have any particulat attachement to Wally so his return was just there, both the reveal about the Joker and the stuff with Manhattan is pretty drat stupid. The only thing I found interesting was the bit about Johnny Thunder and Saturn Girl but other than that, meh.

I'm still pretty upset at what they did to Superbro (I've found Lois & Clark pretty dull) while Darkseid War was a shitshow from start to beginning.

Coming Rebirth the only book I'll be getting will be RHATO, I'm still going to check the other books to see if one catches my attention though.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Rebirth Good: Everything with Wally, the Ollie\Dinah thing

Rebirth Bad: Everything else

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Barry Convex posted:

The hype and urge to increase orders was all centered on JL #50, sorry if I was not clear.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Rhyno posted:

So many people are butthurt that they didn't reveal the Joker's identity as they advertised they were going to do.

this is actually worse, though, because it's loving stupid

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

DrProsek posted:

I'll try but don't know how long they'll stay;

Batgirl
Batman Beyond
Blue Beetle
Red Hood & The Outlaws (I'm morbidly curious!)
New Superman
Titans (I have terrible pattern recognition!)
Teen Titans (I have nostalgia and more money than sense!)
Suicide Squad
Superwoman

Don't try Batman Beyond. Batman Beyond comics are almost always terrible.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
like, holy shitballs, you want the definition of a SHOCKING TWIST that isn't actually shocking or effective or good because it comes outta goddamn nowhere and has nothing to do with anything and isn't set up at all and also is stupid as gently caress

example one is watchmen being canon

example two is THREE JOKERS

Little Mac posted:

Rebirth Bad: Everything

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Coming Rebirth the only book I'll be getting will be RHATO

because scott lobdell's first run on that book aka "starfire is a slut and that's it" was so good

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Rhyno posted:

The hype and urge to increase orders was all centered on JL #50, sorry if I was not clear.

Ah, okay.

Anyway, is it just me, or did this seem much less focused on promoting specific books than other, vaguely similar promotional one-shots that Marvel and DC have published in the past? Even besides the (ugh) Watchmen reveal, Atom, Legion, and JSA don't have their own books announced, and even seemingly obvious things like the Joker/Jason reveals aren't explicitly tied to the Batman and WW books, respectively.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Rhyno posted:

Ah, okay.

Anyway, is it just me, or did this seem much less focused on promoting specific books than other, vaguely similar promotional one-shots that Marvel and DC have published in the past? Even besides the (ugh) Watchmen reveal, Atom, Legion, and JSA don't have their own books announced, and even seemingly obvious things like the Joker/Jason reveals aren't explicitly tied to the Batman and WW books, respectively.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Barry Convex posted:

Ah, okay.

the joker reveal is tied to batman super hard, and they have the new heroes or whatever in there too who also show up in the one page ad for batman at the back

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Chaltab posted:

Who's theory? That's the first I've heard of it.

I dunno I read it somewhere on BSS.

And D_T only reading one book is the surest indicator this line is going to be mostly good.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Literally The Worst posted:

the joker reveal is tied to batman super hard, and they have the new heroes or whatever in there too who also show up in the one page ad for batman at the back

No, it's not. I mean, it very well might be addressed right off the bat (heh) in Batman Rebirth #1, but no one involved with King's book (or the other two) has confirmed that yet.

I didn't count the one panel with Gotham and Gotham Girl, for the obvious reason that they're on the cover for Batman #1. I also suspect that they're more King's own story, whereas Jason and the three Jokers are more things Johns himself seeded for future writers, but who knows.

I dunno, maybe I'm just reading too much into this, but I'm surprised DC isn't pushing the standard "follow X character/storyline into Book Y" angle harder.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Travis343 posted:

I dunno I read it somewhere on BSS.

And D_T only reading one book is the surest indicator this line is going to be mostly good.

actually it still mostly looks really bad

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Barry Convex posted:

No, it's not. I mean, it very well might be addressed right off the bat (heh) in Batman Rebirth #1, but no one involved with King's book (or the other two) has confirmed that yet.

I didn't count the one panel with Gotham and Gotham Girl, for the obvious reason that they're on the cover for Batman #1. I also suspect that they're more King's own story, whereas Jason and the three Jokers are more things Johns himself seeded for future writers, but who knows.

you're right, the joker thing could totally be addressed in Hawk And Dove: Rebirth

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

you're right, the joker thing could totally be addressed in Hawk And Dove: Rebirth

There are three in-continuity Batman books, you know.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Barry Convex posted:

There are three in-continuity Batman books, you know.

so what book will jason be addressed in, if he isn't explicitly tied to wonder woman

the new ongoing in-continuity wonder woman book?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
And the Jason thing feels like it could easily be part of Rucka's present-day story that he's doing in parallel with WW: Year One.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

so what book will jason be addressed in, if he isn't explicitly tied to wonder woman

the new ongoing in-continuity wonder woman book?

Why wouldn't it be

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Travis343 posted:

Why wouldn't it be

new meaning "not Wonder Woman the book that exists" because apparently that's hwat he meant when he said Batman and Wonder Woman

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

new meaning "not Wonder Woman the book that exists" because apparently that's hwat he meant when he said Batman and Wonder Woman

There's not a new wonder woman book coming out. WW is restarting at #1 like every book that isn't Detective or Action Comics. it's just the one Wonder Woman book. Aside from Legend of WW

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Travis343 posted:

There's not a new wonder woman book coming out. WW is restarting at #1 like every book that isn't Detective or Action Comics. it's just the one Wonder Woman book. Aside from Legend of WW

whoooooosh

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

Dexie posted:

In fairness, as previously stated, I have more nostalgia than sense, I am morbidly curious, AND I have terrible pattern recognition!

I may as well give the book another chance if it has Terry as Batman again, but if its the post apocalyptic world still, I'm not even going to give it an issue.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Okay, I got you.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

Dexie posted:

Batman Beyond 2.0 was pretty great with the exception of that one arc with the Phantasm and awful flashbacks to BTAS era. Jurgens is directly taking a villain from it and putting it into his awful Beyond comic.

And if we're still talking about books we're gonna try, here is my short list.

-Wonder Woman
-Detective Comics
-Batgirl & The Birds of Prey
-The Flash
-Supergirl
-Superwoman
-Gotham Academy (when it returns in October anyway)

Tentative on Green Lanterns because Humphries is a mix bag of a writer, Blue Beetle to see if it can hold up to the original run in terms of tone, and Suicide Squad because I hope movie synergy doesn't make it turn into hot garbage like it has been for the past few years.

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

I'm going to grab every Rebirth #1 plus Action/Detective and probably the first issues of most other stuff that isn't getting a Rebirth issue. You never know what'll hit with you. As to the double shipping stuff, if I like it, it's twice the good comics per month, and if I don't, I'll drop it like anything else I don't like. :shrug:

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Whole lot of Rebirth chat, not nearly enough love for The Omega Men. :colbert:

Rebirth reaction though: Idgaf about Saturn Girl, but all the other Rebirth cameos had me sold. I'm game for more smiles and inter-generational teamups.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Was there any Dr M dong though

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

:smug::smug::xd:
The Omega Men ending was loving awesome. Scrapps :( you were the best of them.

I really hope we get a OGN follow up one day.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Dunbar posted:

I'm going to grab every Rebirth #1 plus Action/Detective and probably the first issues of most other stuff that isn't getting a Rebirth issue. You never know what'll hit with you. As to the double shipping stuff, if I like it, it's twice the good comics per month, and if I don't, I'll drop it like anything else I don't like. :shrug:

No, double shipping is not just double the comics you like a month. If it were that I'd have no problem with it. What it does is burn writers and artists out and it will, not may, lead to missed deadlines and fill ins. That's a guarantee not a possibility.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Space Fish posted:

Whole lot of Rebirth chat, not nearly enough love for The Omega Men. :colbert:

Rebirth reaction though: Idgaf about Saturn Girl, but all the other Rebirth cameos had me sold. I'm game for more smiles and inter-generational teamups.

Was it even supposed to be Saturn Girl? The closest I could figure was maybe Dream Girl. Why would Imra be thought crazy when she has a power that's super easy to demonstrate? "Huh, this chick says she knows Superman and she said it IN MY MIND. Nah, must be crazy!"