Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
I'm going to turn poise on in the ini on a family shared account so I can play this game as intended and not by some weird Japanesr rear end covering, face saving denial that is its current form

Ichabod Tane fucked around with this message at 01:34 on May 26, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

:darksouls:

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Mechanics wise DS2 v DS3, I can live with all DS3's regressions since enemies are no longer on turntables.

When people talk about the one true build, is it just that we're too far into the metagame, particularly due to PvP? I'm trucking along in PvE and if it wasn't pointed out to me I wouldn't know that straight swords are so much better. Then again, I haven't been bothering with sorcery or pyromancy so if they're as useless in the early to mid game as they sound then fair enough.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

Imo fast weapons are superior due to everything stun locking everything. You can swing a big gently caress off sword and a peasant will fart on you and you recoil.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Oh another major mechanic fuckup; players entering a T pose and having no animations when someone connects/disconnects online. This wasn't in any other souls game and its awful. You just have to pray the game decides to fix itself because trying to fight someone when they are just floating around the map is basically impossible.

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Mechanics wise DS2 v DS3, I can live with all DS3's regressions since enemies are no longer on turntables.

When people talk about the one true build, is it just that we're too far into the metagame, particularly due to PvP? I'm trucking along in PvE and if it wasn't pointed out to me I wouldn't know that straight swords are so much better. Then again, I haven't been bothering with sorcery or pyromancy so if they're as useless in the early to mid game as they sound then fair enough.

Its because From balanced straight swords terribly and they are blatantly better than almost every other weapon category. Good damage, large hitbox, low stamina consumption. There are other weapons you can use, but a huge amount of them are just straight up inferior to straight swods by a large margin. Almost the entire hammer and axe categories never see any use just because they don't benefit from the crazy phantom range of straight swords.

Literally every spell school suffers from awful spell selection. There is a poo poo load of worthless spells you will never want to use because they either do crap damage or have casting animations that take an eternity. Also sorcery and faith builds are really weak until they reach the upper level ranges. Pyromancy is fine at pretty much any level but you'll only ever see the same few spells out of any given pyro build.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Blacktoll posted:

Imo fast weapons are superior due to everything stun locking everything. You can swing a big gently caress off sword and a peasant will fart on you and you recoil.

This is why the estoc gets so much poo poo talked about it in a PvP setting. It's fast, it has long reach just on actual model plus the lil extra phantom range for good measure, it uses low stamina, it can do really good damage, it weighs little, there are rings that specifically synergize with it (Thrust stuff), it's weapon art (while very telegraphed) lets you get free full damage stabs through shields, the fuckin thing basically has no downsides. People will say you can just parry it if they spam, but even the biggest shitters seem to have started catching on to that, so now you just lose even more miserable poke wars of attrition.

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 02:05 on May 26, 2016

Cyberventurer
Jul 10, 2005

MysticalMachineGun posted:

I dunno, I felt it on my first character. I switched from a Raw Broadsword to the Moonlight Greatsword and the swing speed alone made everything feel so much worse. I eventually gave up and had to change back when I was fighting Champion Gundyr, because he feels overly aggressive because I got sick of only being able to safely swing once when I could just make two faster swings for more overall damage and a better chance to stagger him.

Even the club I started out with at the beginning of the game felt a little on the clunky side, and the game felt a lot more "playable" once I found a sword.

Cyberventurer fucked around with this message at 02:05 on May 26, 2016

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

I must day irithyll dungeon is just a terrible slog. It made me put the game down a few days ago and I'm doing it now but. .ugh.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

RabidWeasel posted:

I watched a few old dark souls 2 videos and I'm actually kind of surprised how much better the player models move compared to DS3 in terms of the animations looking like actual people swinging a sword or whatever. DS3 makes most weapons look like they're made of depleted uranium and wielded by an angry bear (e.g. just look at the loving idiotic clouds of dust that fly out when you randomly smash the end of your claymore into the ground doing a 2hr1).

I'm sorry sir, you have a bad case of "Opposite Brain" comorbid with "The Fail".

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Cyberventurer posted:

I dunno, I felt it on my first character. I switched from a Raw Broadsword to the Moonlight Greatsword and the swing speed alone made everything feel so much worse. I eventually gave up and had to change back when I was fighting Champion Gundyr, because he feels overly aggressive because I got sick of only being able to safely swing once when I could just make two faster swings for more overall damage and a better chance to stagger him.

Even the club I started out with at the beginning of the game felt a little on the clunky side, and the game felt a lot more "playable" once I found a sword.

Ah, I haven't made it that far yet :)

One other thing that might be worth trying for those with covenant issues - I was having connection problems when summoning last night (I was embered at the Cleansing Chapel and there were 0 summon signs) so I went into the system menu, and changed a network setting or two, then changed it back to what it was previously. This caused a save and then signs started popping up. Perhaps it refreshes your connection?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Blacktoll posted:

I must day irithyll dungeon is just a terrible slog. It made me put the game down a few days ago and I'm doing it now but. .ugh.

Really? It's not too bad compared to the pontiff knights everywhere so I took it as a welcome relief. At least until those jailers just put the branding irons in my back.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Cyberventurer posted:

That's how I feel about pretty much every boss starting with Dancer. You dodge an entire huge combo of attacks and only get one chance to hit the boss before they start moving again, and the overall damage output feels so much lower.

MarshyMcFly
Aug 16, 2012

New gently caress with gankers strategy: chameleon in a really good spot and watch as invader after invader die to the gank squad with the host using dried fingers. I was sitting in the arch dragon peak with a really good chameleon on just watching the gankers walk by and walk back to kill some more invaders. I think I collected about 90k souls on ng+ and like 2 or 3 forked blue tongues.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Tbh the later game just suffers. Profane capital is blah and the hand enemies aren't fun to fight.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

MarshyMcFly posted:

New gently caress with gankers strategy: chameleon in a really good spot and watch as invader after invader die to the gank squad with the host using dried fingers. I was sitting in the arch dragon peak with a really good chameleon on just watching the gankers walk by and walk back to kill some more invaders. I think I collected about 90k souls on ng+ and like 2 or 3 forked blue tongues.

you're hitler

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009
Fast weapons like straight swords do trivialize PVE. They are so much easier to use against a lot of bosses than the ultra weapons. The Champ is a prime example of this. Trying to get a clean hit on him with my Exile GS drove me nuts.

For PVP straight swords are pretty good. But anyone just spamming R1 is just asking to get parried. They give me the most problems when someone uses a straight sword being a greatshield. Greatshields are just hilariously broken. There isn't much you can do against a guy that is turtling behind a great shield. Well, if they guys knows what he's doing. And if he's using an Estoc, well God help you.

I really miss the instant guard break from DS2.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Blacktoll posted:

This is definitely a problem; there's basically no way to resist stagger without using a weapon art, so the optimum weapon is the one that attacks in the shortest time, at the longest range, and then damage output is like the least important thing somehow. This is completely unlike the previous two games, where there were tradeoffs for using fast weapons (namely, you couldn't stagger people so easily)

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Yardbomb posted:

This is why the estoc gets so much poo poo talked about it in a PvP setting. It's fast, it has long reach just on actual model plus the lil extra phantom range for good measure, it uses low stamina, it can do really good damage, it weighs little, there are rings that specifically synergize with it (Thrust stuff), it's weapon art (while very telegraphed) lets you get free full damage stabs through shields, the fuckin thing basically has no downsides. People will say you can just parry it if they spam, but even the biggest shitters seem to have started catching on to that, so now you just lose even more miserable poke wars of attrition.

win or lose, that thing is really not fun to play against

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

RyokoTK posted:

I'd be highly tempted to take something super cheap like Farron Dart so I could finish off people that are running away.

That is the best of ideas. The darts catch runners better than knee-long straightswords, Carthus Flame buff adds more than the regular sorcery weapon buff but really lacks the psychological warfare of stunlocking someone with darts.

e: this build and character is lv30 Deprived, twinblade katanas onislayer bow to really nerd out, grass crest, claw for parries, leo hawk chloro knight rings and some nice outfitting going on. 17 VIG 14 END 18 DEX 25 STR. It's ready to smash.

Ghosts n Gopniks fucked around with this message at 02:35 on May 26, 2016

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Farron Dart spam when I'm at low HP is no joke.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
Is there a way to not die when falling through the floor on Curse-Rotted Greatwood

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

???...that fall is supposed to do zero damage to you no matter what

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Maybe he's roleplaying a settlement hollow

So Carthus Rouge applies more bleed effect. It doesnt matter how much bleed a weapon already has?

Synthbuttrange fucked around with this message at 03:03 on May 26, 2016

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

So uh, wolfbro on PS4 still not working? I dont know how much they widened the summon range but 45 doesnt seem THAT high. Hell, I wasnt getting any hits at 32.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

I guess this is kind of semantic, but I don't consider things like broken summoning covenants and hacking problems mechanical issues, more like bugs that need to be patched. Although, it is kind of dumb that darkmoons are summoned into worlds with bluecops, a covenant which already has requirements on its summons.

Poise I think is debatable, I'm a little bit glad it's gone and I think hyperarmor on certain attacks is a way better system. It lets you have your hit trades, but also punishes you if you gently caress up your timing.

Hitboxes extending outside of the weapon model I feel like is a concession to player viewpoint bias. Probably overboard for straight swords, but done largely so that you hit what you think you'll hit in a non-stereoscopic environment.

Mass phantom summoning I agree on, it is super dumb. I only ever invade as a mound maker and I'm an idiot so I like it when the host has a huge squad kind of, but if you don't invade with the goal of "make this as dumb as possible" it's a bad system.

Other stuff is kind of nitpicky, the only game most infusions haven't sucked in is BB gems and Vit has always been kind of the fashionsouls tax (also not a problem BB). Dunno if I would really call those "failures," though.

TheHoosier posted:

So uh, wolfbro on PS4 still not working? I dont know how much they widened the summon range but 45 doesnt seem THAT high. Hell, I wasnt getting any hits at 32.

Unfortunately farron problems seem to be related to accounts in that newer accounts seem to get summoned more often (always) than old accounts (never). From hasn't realized it's not related to level ranges so I wouldn't expect a fix anytime soon.

Nancy fucked around with this message at 03:14 on May 26, 2016

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Maybe Kris can come in, and we can throw M-80s at his asshole.

Relin posted:

Is there a way to not die when falling through the floor on Curse-Rotted Greatwood

Are you jumping when the floor gives out? Don't do that if so, just let yourself fall. I don't know if that even matters but that's all I can think of.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Wolfbros more like Ghru persecution society

Cainer
May 8, 2008
Bit of an odd issue on PS4, I'll set my summon sign down by the crystal mage boss to scoop up some easy sunbro tokens only to keep getting summoned into gank squads. I don't know why they would want a whip dude on their team but alright I go with it(I rarely hit anyone with it except for the sneakily wide R2). Trouble is that after about every second invader my host straight up disappears. He is completely invisible except for his little nametag floating about, every once in a while it seems to fix itself but then sure enough another invasion hits and bam, invisible host again. Just weird.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

Deified Data posted:

Yep. Despite dealing less damage than an actual sword and requiring FP and stamina to swing, it is also parriable. Because of the staff bit at the base of the sword. This eliminates any conceivable advantage they might have over a normal sword. From didn't want mages getting uppity with their sweet energy-swords, they had to be reminded that they're strictly for show.

I'm not going to say magic sucks because at 60 int with all the requisite baubles (excluding dusk crown because it's dumb) I'm melting bosses faster than I ever have before and at range, but only half the spells are particularly useful, if that. The sword spells are hilariously useless. From just wants you using a buffed straightsword.

And the most damning part is there was nothing really stopping them from just making catalysts unparryable, but they chose not to because...?

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

One thing I do really appreciate about Greatswords is people who are stupid enough in pvp to try and block through them, as I permanently wear the Knight-Slayer ring which means there is nearly no amount of stamina that will let you eat 2 swings of a 2-handed Profane Greatsword, also makes most pve enemies who use shields a joke. I also appreciate that other people have to hit me 6 times with a straight sword and I can hit them 2-3 times and kill them. Poise working would of course make this all a lot better but I think there are ways around people using Straight Swords and Estocs that aren't just parry them, it's just unfortunate that you have to be more skilled than they do when you're the one with the stupidly large strength weapon.

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

Blacktoll posted:

I'm going to turn poise on in the ini on a family shared account so I can play this game as intended and not by some weird Japanesr rear end covering, face saving denial that is its current form

oh is it just an ini edit?

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

pretty much. other than two of the covenants straight not working on PC for a good portion of the player base for unknown reasons, with certain achievements being gated behind said covenant ranks, and of course the god awful PC crashes and random stutters that every patch seems to introduce willy nilly, there's not anything "wrong" with DS3. there's plenty of things that you might like more or less than DS2 or things that you might say "hey this seems dumb" but the game is still a competently made trilogy bookend that will soak up 100s of hours of playtime if you allow it to.

either you like the whole package or not, but it's clear that FROM believes the overall product to be satisfactory and complete. the DLC might tweak some stuff or add a few token throwback references to other things from prior games, but i wouldn't expect the DLC to fundamentally change any of the core gameplay elements at this point.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

You can't say poise is debatable. I mean, you can argue that the game is better off without poise, but right now the game has a stat that does basically nothing. If they didn't want poise, they shouldn't of put in a bunch of weapons and items that specifically refer to it. There's stuff like the wolf ring that literally does nothing if you equip it. The only way you would know that is through either reading about it or playing long enough to figure out that, despite what the game claims, poise is useless. That is a complete and utter failure on From's part.

I don't remember how infusions were in DS1 but they definitely weren't bad in DS2, partly due to being able to stack weapon buffs on top of infusions. Not being able to do that in Dark Souls 3 makes a lot of infusions suboptimal. Then there's bleed which is inferior to its resin equivalent. Poison may have been a gimmick before but now its been nerfed into completely worthless territory.

As for hitboxes, its absolutely a PvE concession but its atrocious for PvP, so I can't help but hate it. I vastly prefer hitboxes that are actually accurate. This is my biggest problem with the game right now because its something I really don't see them fixing because they probably don't see it as a problem.

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

"My butt smells like vanilla ice cream"
It boggles my mind how aggrieved people are about Dark Souls.

Cyberventurer
Jul 10, 2005
Maybe I'm imagining it but I don't think the scythe has a sour spot on its one-handed R2 ability. I was trying it out on deacons in Irithyll and it seemed like it did the same damage no matter how far I was from an enemy, which was somewhat stronger than a properly-aimed R1. The two-handed R2 had the penalty for being too close, though.

Good luck hitting anyone with it but hey, small blessings. :v:

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
Tonight is jam loving packed with retardass wolfbros who ignore host and summons and try fighting red invaders. Would be a non-issue if my parries would ever loving hit. Claw, parry shield, parry dagger, no loving nothing.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

poise is the resistance stat of dark souls 3

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
drat, NG+ Crystal Sage clowned my sorcerer a few times. Fight turns into kind of a slog when all you have is magic yourself.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Manatee Cannon posted:

poise is the resistance stat of dark souls 3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

I like DS2 the most. I had more fun with builds on that than DS3. I mean, it takes, like 20 hours of playtime to get to the lightning sword spell if you go faith? And lightning spear is dogshit. People are aggrieved because builds feel monotone.