Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Tweak your mouse DPI so you're not overshooting when you're trying to aim?

Probably part of my problem is I just shoot in the general direction of the enemy and pray.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
here's a 3555x2000 pic of McCree

Downscaled from 17280x9720

Tracer:

Mercy:

Widow :corrupt:

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

TheTatteredKing posted:

That guy was explaining how that won't work if road hog hooks you close enough. The stun time isn't increased for travel time, if you're hooked closer you're stunned for longer after he's done the hook.

This explains a lot. So the stun starts from the instant you're hooked and if you're hooked from far away that's like a half a second of stun wasted in travel time.

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*

Shnooks posted:

Probably part of my problem is I just shoot in the general direction of the enemy and pray.

Lower your sensitivity and burst more at range.

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:

mcvey posted:

Lower your sensitivity and burst more at range.

I'll try that, thanks.

zooted heh
Oct 16, 2005

str8 mercin burgers my nigga

Evil Canadian posted:

Does anyone know the particulars of matchmaking yet? Specifically at what point does it throw you against other arranged teams?

I'm guessing because I'm usually playing in a group of two to four and it seems like four is the magic number. I feel the match up is tougher.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

DreamShipWrecked posted:

The main drives of the maps aren't complex, you will learn them by just playing. And don't worry about being bad either, it is launch and anyone who seriously gives you flak about not being perfect is a grade A rear end in a top hat

Oh yeah I'm sure if I was playing a straightforward class I wouldn't need to know the maps much but a bunch of the classes in this game seem to benefit a lot from knowing all the nooks and crannies due to all the abilities. Plus I wanna try the Symmetra and TF2 taught me that a teleporter in a bad spot is worse than helpful.

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

Low morale causes the golems to dance in panic.

Shnooks posted:

I've never been really into FPS games too much, how do I improve my hit accuracy besides "git good"? When I play Soldier its like 37%, I'm terrible.

It's something that experience will mostly make, but one tip I heard that seemed to make sense was to focus your sight down the crosshairs. At least one FPS streamer I watched has used a bright-pink crosshair to ensure it stays prominent and visible on screen.

If you're playing as something like Pharah it's more about predicting where targets will head than precision due to her blast radiuses, while Junkrat requires more prediction of where a bouncing/falling object will go. Reinhardt and Winston both require like near 0% aiming and pretty much all the healers use non-hitscan weapons so just trying to line crosshairs up with people becomes a moot point with all of these dudes.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Junkrat can also spam nades like nobody's business.

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

Main Paineframe posted:

Zarya. If she gets hooked, she'll survive Roadhog's first shot and she'll be able to pop her shield before Roadhog can get a second shot off. Also if one of her teammates gets hooked she can give them a shield to protect them during the stun and totally ruin Roadhog's combo.

If the roadhog is dumb, this might work.

If Zarya has charge, you'll manage better, if not; you're cooked against a Roadhog. He'll outlast you and just stop shooting you when you're shield is up.

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar
In the solo queue game I played, about 80% of the time as Lucio I could MB2 my way away from death.

kznlol
Feb 9, 2013

Shnooks posted:

I've never been really into FPS games too much, how do I improve my hit accuracy besides "git good"? When I play Soldier its like 37%, I'm terrible.

Lower your sensitivity to a point where you think "nobody can possibly play with this" and then lower it about 50% further.

There's not really any kind of quick fix to improving aim, but almost everyone with truly good aim has sensitivities that require 10+ inches of mouse travel to perform a 360, and most are higher. As a point of reference, I'm at 6 on the ingame sensitivity slider with an 800dpi mouse.

[edit] This is actually one of the things I find most frustrating about Overwatch. You can play things that don't require great aim to be effective, but a lot of them abandon the aim mechanic entirely (Reinhardt, Winston, Mercy, etc). There's not a lot of ways to play a game with the intent of practicing your aim without being a burden on your team, which never feels great.

kznlol fucked around with this message at 03:24 on May 26, 2016

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Well i learned a MOlten Core'd TOblerone can tank a Reaper ult.

And this AFK timer is seriously too short. Can't even run and get a beer between rounds and you're kicked out :mad:

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

accuracy as a stat is relatively meaningless, you have infinite ammo, spray that poo poo everywhere enemies might vaguely be

unless you're roadhog in which case holy poo poo guard your ammo with your life because his reload is eternal

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

EA GAMES' MASTERPIECE 'MADDEN 2018 G.O.A.T. EDITION' IS A GLORIOUS TRIUMPH OF ART AND TECHNOLOGY. IT BRINGS GAMEDAY RIGHT TO THE PLAYER AND WHOEVER SAYS OTHERWISE CAN, YOU GUESSED IT...
SUCK THE SHIT STRAIGHT OUT OF MY OWN ASSHOLE.

BUY IT.
Seagull playing in an ESL match right now

https://www.twitch.tv/esl_overwatch

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Papercut posted:

Jesus, the first couple minutes of this Seagull Genji game :stare:
https://www.twitch.tv/a_seagull/v/68544465?t=01h04m53s

Against our own coolmatt69 too

He never finished answering the question about the worst heroes

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe

ThndrShk2k posted:

In the solo queue game I played, about 80% of the time as Lucio I could MB2 my way away from death.

yeah its great, but it does require the right situation. if they hook you while you're close to them, you're done for most likely. the stun wont wear off in time for you to RMB. sticking in the middle back of your deathball gives you the best odds of living through some really insane plays.

btw the goons i played with today were loving phenomenal, all of you. We demolished a team of 2 tracer, 2 lucio, 2 winston with our ragtag group until they all class swapped, i guess they were practicing for comp or something? but we sent them back to the locker room over and over. we only lost like 20% of the matches we played if that, it was nutso and i feel like i need an av of a frog instead now

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Zorodius posted:

yeah, normally blizzard games are super picky about making it crystal clear where level boundaries are, identifying threats, making UI elements stand out, etc ... but they don't seem to have given so much of a poo poo with Overwatch. Like, there's insta-death spots that use the same snow texture as the walkable ground next to them, there's bright red glowy poo poo in the levels that looks the same as the enemy color at first glance,etc.

"This place has a lot of rooftops! I'll pick Phara instead of 76 on defense!"

*Discovers someone has lubed up every gentle slope in Mexic."

Dias posted:

I mean, I'll be the first to admit I'm trash, I'm just astonished that there are people much worse than me with a similar time invested on the game, hehe.

Yeah. I'm less "Good" and more constantly amazed by how many people make me look like a pro star by comparison.

"They are going to round this cart and crush my senior citizen soldier rear end any second now. I'm constantly on death's door, all it's going to take is a little nudge" 10 killstreak/27 kills/2:30 on objective(new record!).

Meanwhile in other matches, I am the burning clown car traffic accident of a player. Which keeps my ego not only deflated, but stabbed full of holes :v:

I also love playing More Violent Mercy with 76 for pubbie reinhardts who keep a good forward momentum. I usually forget to say much but thanked one for pasting people with a charge and then having the entire enemy team chase them rather than defend the cart.

Certainly makes actually getting any use out of my ultimate easier, too. Oh good, with this shield I can aimbot their Widow to death and then finish off a few stragglers. Instead of dying the second I turn it on. God I suck with 76's Ultimate as much as I like his Ultimate, unless I'm just using it to be lazy finishing off stragglers like Tracer's and Jumpsuit Dvas trying to pull the get out of jail free card.

Jastiger posted:

And this AFK timer is seriously too short. Can't even run and get a beer between rounds and you're kicked out :mad:
It also works wonders shotgunning down tanks while they pay more attention to your turret, between making 3 point shot throws of armor upgrades to teammates on ledges.

Also yeah that between match deal hit my brother tonight. :sigh:

Section Z fucked around with this message at 03:32 on May 26, 2016

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

kznlol posted:

I'm at 6 on the ingame sensitivity slider with an 800dpi mouse.

Literally double mine. Noob aim.

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

I think im pretty decent as Zarya when it comes to being able to survive most heroes attacks but put me up against a decent Tracer player, and I get smoked everytime. How to squash this bug?

kznlol
Feb 9, 2013

mcvey posted:

Literally double mine. Noob aim.

24 inches for a 360? :aaa: You are a stronger man than me.

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

Standard CS sens. Though for a game where you can get flanked a lot easier I should bump it up but I haven't had any trouble yet.

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yeah I also play the game using a projector in my wall and use the wall as a mousepad too, glad to see someone else with that setup.

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

EA GAMES' MASTERPIECE 'MADDEN 2018 G.O.A.T. EDITION' IS A GLORIOUS TRIUMPH OF ART AND TECHNOLOGY. IT BRINGS GAMEDAY RIGHT TO THE PLAYER AND WHOEVER SAYS OTHERWISE CAN, YOU GUESSED IT...

BUY IT.

Zorodius posted:

he is getting shut the gently caress out

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Jastiger posted:

He can also rush down people in it. You can 2 shot offensive characters with the shotgun.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah one thing to disabuse yourself of as a new player is that all characters are lethal. Especially if they headshot, you can't ignore anyone.

breaks
May 12, 2001

Shnooks posted:

With Soldier specifically make sure you're mostly firing in bursts rather than holding the mouse button down. I think you can get 3-4 shots before the accuracy starts to suffer at range (someone who plays him more can probably say what the actual optimal number of shots per burst is). In general, make sure you know everything there is to know about the weapons for the characters you like to use most often.

The lower your sensitivity the more accurate you tend to be once you adjust to it. A tradeoff is that it tends to make it harder to fight in close quarters. 10-12 inches per 360 is a good compromise and also doesn't require an acre of desk space. If your mouse has acceleration options, make sure they're off.

Another thing is that good positioning will help your aim, because it's a lot easier to shoot someone who isn't looking/shooting at you.

Dedicated aim practice works but it's tedious and not worth it unless you take the game Very Seriously. But if you really feel like you suck at moving and shooting at the same time, and are playing the game a lot, even half an hour practicing circle strafes in the practice range might help you get more comfortable with it.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

What changed that made the comp meta decide Roadhog is good

slev
Apr 6, 2009

Zorodius posted:

This scoring system is pretty dumb I hope they come up with something better

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

kznlol posted:

Lower your sensitivity to a point where you think "nobody can possibly play with this" and then lower it about 50% further.

There's not really any kind of quick fix to improving aim, but almost everyone with truly good aim has sensitivities that require 10+ inches of mouse travel to perform a 360, and most are higher. As a point of reference, I'm at 6 on the ingame sensitivity slider with an 800dpi mouse.
doesn't that kill your ability to look around/do a 180/etc?

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

BUY IT.

Soothing Vapors posted:

pretty much

Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?
Yay got a POTG for this moment.
https://gfycat.com/HatefulEmptyDartfrog

Wished I had an nvidia card for shadowplay, I can't capture in OBS without lag.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

super macho dude posted:

I think im pretty decent as Zarya when it comes to being able to survive most heroes attacks but put me up against a decent Tracer player, and I get smoked everytime. How to squash this bug?

Use the right click attack lots.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
Anubis Point B is probably the best designed control point in the game

agree/disagree?

the left wall removal did so much for it

All my most intense "holy poo poo I can't believe we captured that/defended it" have always been anubis b

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Nehru the Damaja posted:

He never finished answering the question about the worst heroes

I think earlier in the stream he said the only two characters he thinks are op are widowmaker and Lucio. Not exactly the same question but I think in general he thinks the game is pretty well balanced

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

Zorodius posted:

pretty much

Get a big mousepad(qck+ is like $15) and it's no problem if you have the space.

kznlol
Feb 9, 2013

Soothing Vapors posted:

My settings are roughly 12 inches for a 360. That's about the usable width of my mousepad, and you don't really ever need to do a 360 in one smooth motion in practice. A 180 is pretty much a large swipe of the hand.

Its a tradeoff you start worrying about when you go much farther than 12-15 inches per 360, though. In CS, for instance, it's common to go to much lower sensitivities because by playing well you can almost eliminate the need to do a 180.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Soothing Vapors posted:

Pick your wrist off the table and aim with your arm

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

T.G. Xarbala posted:

Junkrat can also spam nades like nobody's business.

I have thirty percent hit ratio with him, and a drat good kill to death ratio/damage ratio. A lot of the blast radius character are also about area denial and disuading the enemy from flanking/using an entrance too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

breaks
May 12, 2001

Soothing Vapors posted:

Nah, 10" or so for a 360 is pretty standard even for a very fast game like Quake. Once you get used to it you can still easily 180 and so on. Getting down to crazy low Counterstrike type sensitivity like 18-24"/360 does put more of damper on your ability to fight in close quarters IMO.