Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Well they don't do it now, so how could we know? But theoretically, I doubt any Murdoch stable organization would do that in good faith, so that leaves Fairfax, ABC, et. al. and my suspicion based on current events is that they would continue to avoid the entire issue in the hope that it might go away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ora Tzo
Feb 26, 2016

HEEEERES TONYYYY
Feeney is a farking dickhead.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Konomex posted:

What might be the effect of the ABC and other media organisations regularly comparing the labor and liberal policies to the greens as if it is some sort of three horse race. Like the greens have comparable policies to the major two.

Might help the Greens, if anything. Defuse that admittedly-lesser talking point against them that they don't have real policies. Even if people don't read them and become aware that they're pretty good, they'll see actual numbers and thoughts and be aware that at the very least, those policies exist.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
Haha Slomo is doubling down on Barnaby's stupid correlation causation argument on asylum seekers.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

Anidav posted:

Fear not friends, the Daily Tele is much more biased than that!

told you. framed as the underdog

Kat Delacour posted:

Haha Slomo is doubling down on Barnaby's stupid correlation causation argument on asylum seekers.

A few more weeks.

just a few more weeks.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

Kat Delacour posted:

Asylum Seekers cause coral bleaching IMO

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
Australians are poorer today, in income terms than we were at the beginning of 2014. This has happened on the present government’s watch and their existing policies will ensure it gets worse.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Underdog pm :ughh:

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Mr Chips posted:

I recall more than one occasion in Boothby the AEC staff were loudly repeating Liberal talking points to each other the whole time I was in there.
Report them to the AEC.

Barnaby Joyce :allears: Malformed Turdball might have gone early to try and reduce the amount of this sort of thing he was going to have to try and justify. Especial lols for the Indonesian government saying "Er, nope, complete bullshit."

http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/breakfast/concerns-raised-about-the-future-of-comunity-based/7447096

quote:

Concerns raised over the future of community based mental health nurses Thursday 26 May 2016 6:45AM (view full episode)

There's concern that community based mental health nurses could disappear under a new national model to improve mental health services in regional communities. From July 1, mental health programs will be commissioned by the nation's 31 Primary Health Networks in an effort to move away from a one-size-fits-all approach. But mental health groups are dubious.

Any one who has had any involvement with mental health services in Australia will realise that the whole system is teetering on the brink. (Anecdote incoming) I know a young guy who, since his brother committed suicide (due to untreated mental issues) has suffered from OCD behaviours over ideation on death. He needs urgent help now, and obviously so. More over if he received even a short amount of cognitive behavioural therapy he would probably get 100% better within a few weeks or months. I was so appalled by his plight (on a waiting list with a couple of months long expected delay) I very nearly suggested he use the magic words "considering self harm". Fortunately (despite years of de-sensitivity training here) I realised what a dumb move that was before doing so.

Royal Commission into banks? What the gently caress would we want one of them for?

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-05-26/oiac-investigates-veda-for-selling-personal-information/7446400

quote:

Veda Advantage investigated for selling personal financial information to marketing companies 7.30 By Pat McGrath Updated about 3 hours ago

Australia's privacy watchdog is investigating whether credit reporting giant Veda Advantage has broken the law by selling sensitive personal financial information to marketing companies.

Key points:

Veda maintains database of credit histories of 20 million people in Australia, New Zealand
Victorian woman "received mail from lenders" after refinancing mortgage, complained to OAIC
Veda to reply to OAIC questions this week
Under the Privacy Act, it is illegal for credit reporting agencies to share the contents of consumers' personal credit reports for marketing purposes.

Veda, which was bought by the US credit reporting giant Equifax for $2.5 billion earlier this year, maintains a database of the credit histories of 20 million people in Australia and New Zealand. Every time a consumer applies for a loan, credit card or utility service, or they default on a debt, Veda enters a record on their permanent credit report. The Office of the Australian Information Commissioner (OAIC) opened an investigation into Veda's data marketing subsidiary Inivio last month, after a complaint by Victorian woman Kylie Miller. Ms Miller said she began receiving offers of credit from various lenders the mail last year shortly after refinancing her mortgage. After investigating how the lenders obtained her name and address, Ms Miller said she discovered they had been sent an alert by Inivio. "Inivio … actually sells all your personal information to finance companies and other interested parties through these commercial arrangements, such as the one that they presumably had with ANZ and the other finance companies that I was getting mail from," she told 7.30. Ms Miller complained to the OAIC last year, and the commissioner has since confirmed it is investigating the case.

"Ms Miller is of the view that she has never given her consent for any of her personal information to be collected or shared by or with third parties by Veda," the OAIC said in a letter to Veda, obtained by 7.30. "If the information supplied by Ms Miller is correct, Veda may not have met the requirements of … the Act by using or disclosing her personal and/or credit information for the purpose of direct marketing. "Did Veda disclose Ms Miller's credit information and/or personal information to any third party? Please be specific. "Did Veda disclose Ms Miller's credit reporting information to ANZ as alleged? If yes, how was this disclosure authorised under section 20G [of the Privacy Act]?"

Veda declined an interview and would not comment specifically about Ms Miller's case.

"In regard to our Inivio marketing services, information is used within the constraints of the Privacy Act, from sources as permitted under the Australian Privacy Principles, or where consent has been provided by the individual, either directly or through a third party, to be contacted with offers," the company said in a statement. "Individuals may opt out of receiving marketing communications at any time." Australia's Privacy Commissioner Timothy Pilgrim said the law around credit reporting was clear. "There are strict provisions that restrict those organisations from being able to use that info for direct marketing purposes. It's just not allowed under the Privacy Act," Mr Pilgrim said. Veda is due to reply to the OAIC's questions this week.
"Strict provisions" pfffft. Expect a whole bunch of nothing to happen.

"Now, thanks to new instructional methods pioneered by the Cape York Institute, attendance rates are close to 90 per cent and the school is in the top half of the state on scholastic performance tests," Mr Abbott said.

Clearly an example to us all.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-05-26/aurukun-mothers-angry-school-closed/7446898

quote:

Aurukun troublemakers controlling Queensland Government 'like puppeteers' By Kym Agius and Sharnie Kim Updated about an hour ago

A group of troublemaking Aurukun teens are controlling the Queensland Government like "puppeteers", depriving high-achieving children of schooling for weeks, a group of mothers in the Indigenous community says. Teachers and staff from the western Cape York primary school were evacuated yesterday, for the second time this month due to safety concerns. Young people had allegedly threatened teachers and principal Scott Fatnowna, who had his government car stolen twice.

'Aurukun facing same challenges'

A teacher who worked in Aurukun 10 years ago says the problems the community is facing are the same problems of a decade ago. The school will remain closed for six weeks, until the new term begins, and students will be offered distant education and activities through the PCYC. The Wik women's group, the traditional owners, are outraged and have released an unnamed statement out of fear of retribution. "We have 10 to 15 teenagers controlling the Government like puppeteers," the women said in a statement. "These kids have worked out that they can carjack the school principal and suddenly they can control the town." The women said 300 children at the school would become disengaged, and closing the school would not solve the problems of the troublemakers.

'Incompetent' police failing to pull troublemakers into line

Timeline of recent events:

May 10: More than 20 teachers at Cape York Academy are ordered to leave Aurukun due to persistent violent unrest
May 11: Cape York Academy principal has car stolen by youths, including one brandishing an axe
May 16: Noel Pearson says he warned the Queensland Government two months earlier about violence in the region
May 16: Video emerges of Aurukun police watching on as youths attack each other in broad daylight
May 17: Premier meets with the Police Commissioner for an update on the situation
May 18: Cape York Academy reopens, but five teachers decide not to return
May 19: Classes resume at Cape York Academy, panic buttons are installed in teachers' homes
May 23: Teaching staff vote to stay in community after principal is threatened, has car stolen again
May 25: Premier announces she will travel to Aurukun, as teachers evacuated for a second time
See the full timeline of events.

They said teachers "who do a remarkable job" were forced to leave, crying at the thought of abandoning the students. "We are mothers in shock that our children, high-achieving children, will be deprived of schooling for weeks," they said. "While teachers and staff absolutely have a right to feel safe and secure, and parents have a responsibility to ensure their children behave respectfully, our children also have a right to a good education. "Nowhere else in Australia would a Government condone shutting down a school due to the incompetence of police to pull into line a handful of troublemakers." The mothers said recent reports showed that one in three school principals in Australia had been physically attacked at work by students, parents, or intruders. "Imagine if they closed one in three schools down," the group said. "Schools have been burned to the ground by delinquents in some cases but the school remains open and its children taught."

'Passive racism' behind poor school attendance: Scullion

Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk will visit Aurukun on Friday, where a community meeting will be held. Ms Palaszczuk said her Government was working to bring forward job training projects relating to a $2 billion mine expansion project in the region. "I have already been speaking with my Director-General to have discussions with Rio Tinto about how we can bring forward some of the training that is needed for the Amrun project that has been approved by Rio Tinto," she said. Federal Indigenous Affairs Minister Nigel Scullion said he hoped to meet with his state counterpart, Curtis Pitt, today to discuss issues in Aurukun. Mr Scullion said it was unfortunate that school attendance was seen as a choice in some Indigenous communities. "I think the passive racism that has allowed that to happen over years and years in this country, that it's OK, for example, for my children, serial truants as I was, to be chased up and I got rung to go to school," he said. "But the kids they were wagging with were all Aboriginal children. "They were their best mates. "Those Aboriginal children never got a phone call."

Good news Mr Scullion! We found the dog whistle! It was in your mouth all along! It's hard not to be a little gleeful at the abject failure of NTATA's flagship school program. All measures are certain to fail while we fail to address disadvantage across all of our society. What we are looking at here is a symptom not the problem. A problem I'm sure Rio Tinto is exactly the right party to address :psyboom:

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

Cartoon posted:

Any one who has had any involvement with mental health services in Australia will realise that the whole system is teetering on the brink. (Anecdote incoming) I know a young guy who, since his brother committed suicide (due to untreated mental issues) has suffered from OCD behaviours over ideation on death. He needs urgent help now, and obviously so. More over if he received even a short amount of cognitive behavioural therapy he would probably get 100% better within a few weeks or months. I was so appalled by his plight (on a waiting list with a couple of months long expected delay) I very nearly suggested he use the magic words "considering self harm". Fortunately (despite years of de-sensitivity training here) I realised what a dumb move that was before doing so.

Yeah look it's weird that Turnbull has chosen mental health as a thing, seeing as the budget actually disadvantages people who have mental health issues, or need to see a mental health professional. Anyway, if you actually look at what Turnbull is suggesting it's a limited scope program that probably wouldn't get funded beyond the 12 or so electorates they want to put it in. I mean I'm all for better mental health accessibility in regional areas, but I can't help but be cynical about how much money they'd be putting into this initiative compare to corporate tax breaks or something.

Mental health in Australia is a shitfight and soz to anyone who thinks that it's in an okay situation at the moment. You guys can basically get hosed.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
The Turnbull government is pushing ahead with plans to place sensitive medical records under corporate management and will announce on Thursday that Telstra Health - a division of Telstra - has been awarded the contract to manage a new national cancer screening register from next year.

In this agile new economy, maybe we should contract the ATO out to Foxtel? Tax Returns now come in the form of Sportsbet prepaid cards because THATS MY TEAM

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

Anidav posted:

The Turnbull government is pushing ahead with plans to place sensitive medical records under corporate management and will announce on Thursday that Telstra Health - a division of Telstra - has been awarded the contract to manage a new national cancer screening register from next year.

In this agile new economy, maybe we should contract the ATO out to Foxtel? Tax Returns now come in the form of Sportsbet prepaid cards because THATS MY TEAM

Is this a joke

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Telstra Health.

*intoned while thrashing around in agony*

Telstra Health.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

I assume the ALP will come out as being strongly against the privatisation of government services.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

It's true apparently. http://www.smh.com.au/federal-polit...525-gp3go9.html

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Not sure why he's announcing this during the election. Everyone hates Telstra.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Telstra Health

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Anidav posted:

When I think of reliable companies that I want to manage cancer screening, I think of Telstra.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Anidav posted:

Telstra Health

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

*receives letter from Telstra Health*

Balance carried forward: $1
Cancer Screening Admin fee: $1
Late fee: $15

Amount due: $17

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Tokamak posted:

*receives letter from Telstra Health*

Balance carried forward: $1
Cancer Screening Admin fee: $1
Late fee: $15

Amount due: $17

What do you mean receives. They've been sending it to the wrong address for months (despite you notifying them of your changed address) and have now sicced debt collectors on you.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

NHS: Removing copper from body could slow cancer

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Telstra

HEALTH

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

https://www.telstra.com.au/telstra-health
"That’s why we’re partnering with doctors, community pharmacies, hospitals, health insurers and governments to deliver a brilliantly connected health system. We’ve spent 100 years building and connecting Australia and know our health system can benefit from this connection – not in wires and poles, but in sharing information and knowledge to build a healthier nation."

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Bolt from the Blue

The way ahead for Malcolm Turnbull is to act like Tony Abbott

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Lid posted:

Bolt from the Blue

While it would destroy his support within the party, if he went all "Captains pick" on issues like Abbott did it would almost certainly increase his support among the public.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Bundle your broadband with your health insurance and receive a 10% discount!

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

Lid posted:

Bolt from the Blue

Don't want to start too much controversy in the Auspol thread but my hot take on this is Bolt is an idiot.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Oh god, Telstra Health has been a legit thing since before 2011, it was mentioned very heavily as a great thing in my IPWAN/Next IP training and this shining example of what one could do over the Telstra network. The fact that it's taken them over 5 years to even get any kind of momentum going outside the company is a sign of how much faith anyone has in it.

Also consider that Telstra outsources a lot of what it actually does now days, so you're likely to end up with such a service being outsourced twice. Given also the problem that Telstra contracts out major software projects to companies like InfoSys, who deliver shoddy out of the box solutions that aren't suited to purpose without major reworking of front and back end interfaces.

Telstra Health is probably a great idea if you want your doctor to get a migraine trying to access your records, and if you want your records to be up on Google.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Senor Tron posted:

While it would destroy his support within the party, if he went all "Captains pick" on issues like Abbott did it would almost certainly increase his support among the public.

Strangely Bolt seems to disagree with this and thinks Malcolm needs to be harder on beating up brown people like Tony the Messiah.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Lid posted:

Strangely Bolt seems to disagree with this and thinks Malcolm needs to be harder on beating up brown people like Tony the Messiah.

He's still stick in the narrative from just after this governments first budget it seems, that the message was fine, it's just that people weren't understanding it correctly.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

hooman posted:

What do you mean receives. They've been sending it to the wrong address for months (despite you notifying them of your changed address) and have now sicced debt collectors on you.

Yeah but at least the debt collectors will go to the wrong address.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Skellybones posted:

Yeah but at least the debt collectors will go to the wrong address.

Turns out they don't.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Anidav posted:

Telstra

HEALTH

We are past the point of parody here

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Senor Tron posted:

He's still stick in the narrative from just after this governments first budget it seems, that the message was fine, it's just that people weren't understanding it correctly.

He's just a mouthpiece for the far right's delusional narrative, I'd be wary of believing he has a personal stake in it bar the racism which is a personal defect. They think they have to keep the pressure on Turnbull to make him perform and conform and in their minds they can't lose. If he loses the election, it's his fault, if he wins, he owes them. They're nowhere near realizing their particular pair of ideological glasses are obscuring reality, and I doubt an election loss would wake them up.

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service

Anidav posted:

Telstra Health

:chanpop:

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

I have now seen Dennis the election Koala in the wild.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
*dies while on 2 hour wait to Healthstra call centre*

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Honestly thought it was a joke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

How long until the Liberal Government literally outsources everything to Telstra and Telstra becomes our government?

• Locked thread