Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

That reminds me I haven't seen any Stewart/Button Mobil 1 commercials so far this year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

I've been catching up on this season on YouTube. Finished the Daytona 500 last night. HOLY gently caress that finish was awsome.

I'm really enjoying what I'm seeing so far this year.

I should be caught up in a week or so. Sounds like I have some good stuff coming!

Norns fucked around with this message at 19:05 on May 23, 2016

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

CBJSprague24 posted:

Dollar General is leaving JGR and NASCAR. Rumors have Mobil 1 and Stanley teaming up to sponsor the 20 next year.

When Mobil 1 has the choice between sponsoring Clint Bowyer and Matt Kenseth and picks the boring one, it doesn't feel like a ringing endorsement of the 14's future.

Picking a champion over not a champion isn't that hard.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
we've never seen two different cars with the same sponsor, either

like, Bass Pro Shops is only on the 14 you'd never dream of seeing it on another car, so clearly Mobil 1 is dropping the 14

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Jeff Hammond appears as an extra in CMT's NASCAR series as a member of Dale Earnhardt's team for some reason.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

VikingSkull posted:

like, Bass Pro Shops is only on the 14 you'd never dream of seeing it on another car, so clearly Mobil 1 is dropping the 14

Exxon Mobil really can't afford two cars. There are 3 companies bigger then them.

LASTCAR
Mar 25, 2010

I like the drivers
you never hear about
in the cars
you never see
who finish in the position
you never want

VikingSkull posted:

McMurray and Stewart also both ran Bass Pro Shops in the All-Star Race.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

Stenhouse? Nah. It's Ricky Roundhouse now.

LASTCAR posted:

I wonder what the idea is behind that from Bass Pro Shops perspective. It may be cheaper to sponsor a car for part of the season but when you're shelling out for primary sponsorship for 3 cars part time wouldn't you think they are spending just as much if not more than one full time car? You'd think that they'd want somebody, whether its Tony, Jamie or Truex, to drive THE Bass Pro Car. When we were younger cars were associated with their sponsors because just about everybody only had one primary. You'd say the Tide car, Valvoline car, Kodiak car, Budweiser car, etc. I wonder why they wouldn't just want to get one car.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Elephanthead posted:

Exxon Mobil really can't afford two cars. There are 3 companies bigger then them.

they usually don't run simultaneously, it's just that in the land of multi sponsor cars they are too big for an associate sponsor and too small for a full year

a few years ago they ran on both the 10 and 14, for example

theacox
Jun 8, 2010

You can't be serious.
Alan Kulwicki for HOF? My heart says yes but my head says no. Anybody out there other than us old guys even know who he was?

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

theacox posted:

Alan Kulwicki for HOF? My heart says yes but my head says no. Anybody out there other than us old guys even know who he was?

Doesn't he have less than 10 career wins? Yeah, he won a championship but this is mostly rose-colored glasses than anything else.

Edit: Just checked. He had 5 wins in 9 years of Winston Cup. Let me clarify, the guy was an exceptional driver and probably did more with a car with no resources than anyone else in the history of the sport but he still doesn't have the wins. 5 wins in 9 years is a few years from being Michael Waltrip.

jabro fucked around with this message at 03:48 on May 25, 2016

SPiTZ
Aug 9, 2004

LASTCAR posted:

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Mike Joy solicited the people's input:

https://twitter.com/mikejoy500/status/735150193922936832

https://twitter.com/mikejoy500/status/735150198897414144

https://twitter.com/mikejoy500/status/735151462867689472

I voted Baker, Byron, Fox, Parks, Parsons. Squier is already in in a sense (Squier-Hall Award winner) or I would've voted for him. The CMT series bringing Fox, Byron, and Parks' stories to life may have swayed me a bit.

None of it's going to matter when Brian France comes in the room and tells them to vote for someone again.

theacox posted:

jabro posted:

Doesn't he have less than 10 career wins? Yeah, he won a championship but this is mostly rose-colored glasses than anything else.

Edit: Just checked. He had 5 wins in 9 years of Winston Cup. Let me clarify, the guy was an exceptional driver and probably did more with a car with no resources than anyone else in the history of the sport but he still doesn't have the wins. 5 wins in 9 years is a few years from being Michael Waltrip.

I think some of it is the sense of the romantic, nostalgic lore that goes with "he died" combined with the recency of his participation in the sport which might still be fresh on fans' minds. On that same note, I'm surprised Davey Allison hasn't been nominated yet.

e- "There's even a Blaney":

https://twitter.com/TheBuzzerOnFOX/status/735226267042086912

I mean, the parallels are incredible and then you factor in a Blaney lurking in third. :dogbutton:

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 05:41 on May 25, 2016

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

theacox posted:

Maybe in 50 years.

Ideally what the Hall should do for cases like this, and NASCAR has the connections and cash to do it, is put a large, warehouse style addition on the Hall and have either a reproduction, a car from the same season as, or preferably the championship winning car from each year on display in there. Also, make a rule from here on out, the Cup champion team gives up the last race of the year car to the Hall for good.

That'd be a ridiculously good exhibit.

Seizure Meat fucked around with this message at 05:58 on May 25, 2016

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

VikingSkull posted:

Maybe in 50 years.

Ideally what the Hall should do for cases like this, and NASCAR has the connections and cash to do it, is put a large, warehouse style addition on the Hall and have either a reproduction, a car from the same season as, or preferably the championship winning car from each year on display in there. Also, make a rule from here on out, the Cup champion team gives up the last race of the year car to the Hall for good.

That'd be a ridiculously good exhibit.

This.

Also do the same for Daytona 500 winners for DIS.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things

FuzzySkinner posted:

Also do the same for Daytona 500 winners for DIS.

Last time I was down there, they were doing this (for the latest winner's car only). Did they stop that?

Juicy Juice
Nov 12, 2011

Where we're going, we don't need roads...

Slickdrac posted:

Last time I was down there, they were doing this (for the latest winner's car only). Did they stop that?

They used to do that when they had Daytona USA set up but I think the teams hated it since they lost a winning car they could use at the other restrictor plate tracks.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Juicy Juice posted:

They used to do that when they had Daytona USA set up but I think the teams hated it since they lost a winning car they could use at the other restrictor plate tracks.

Yeah, they held it for a year until the next winner came in

My way is a bit easier for teams to stomach, mainly because the Cup is millions of dollars more than winning Daytona, and also because it'd be an intermediate car and they have tons of those

LASTCAR
Mar 25, 2010

I like the drivers
you never hear about
in the cars
you never see
you never want

Sounds awesome to me - especially since not all championship winning cars were also perfectly intact and/or race winners. Matt Kenseth blew an engine and finished last at Homestead in 2003, and Rusty Wallace's car was falling apart laps down at Atlanta in 1989.

Some Random Asshole
Apr 30, 2006

HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS

VikingSkull posted:

Yeah, they held it for a year until the next winner came in

My way is a bit easier for teams to stomach, mainly because the Cup is millions of dollars more than winning Daytona, and also because it'd be an intermediate car and they have tons of those

Yeah that'd be much better. Int cars can be rebuilt but each and every plate car is a labor of love and much harder to replace

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Childress, Hendrick, Martin, Parks, Parsons make the HoF.

Yates, Byron, Kulwicki the next three in voting. Byron is the last name remaining from the original list of 25.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Some Random rear end in a top hat posted:

Yeah that'd be much better. Int cars can be rebuilt but each and every plate car is a labor of love and much harder to replace

Plus, arguably anyone can win Daytona, so if say, Furniture Row wins giving up the 500 car for the year hurts extra.

Smaller teams will almost never give up a Cup winning car.

Nit Wit Dog Shit
Sep 28, 2000

Toilet Rascal

Only registered members can see post attachments!

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

quote:

She completed those tasks, but for years, the last item on the list haunted Terri Parsons.

“The one that kept throwing me was ‘Don’t let people forget me’’

That's both :( and :3:

http://nascar.nbcsports.com/2016/05/25/hall-of-fame-selection-ensures-benny-parsons-last-remaining-wish/

LASTCAR
Mar 25, 2010

I like the drivers
you never hear about
in the cars
you never see
you never want

I'll forget last-place stats before I forget BP. I'm blown away by his humility.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
I mean, he was arguably the best American motorsports broadcaster on top of being a Cup champ. He's at least top 5 all time on the mic.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
so someone found a pic of the modified my dad built

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Ocean's 600:

quote:

NASCAR is collaborating with Academy Award-winning director Steven Soderbergh on a feature film entitled Logan Lucky, starring Channing Tatum alongside Daniel Craig, Riley Keough, Adam Driver and Seth MacFarlane. Depicting a theoretical heist at Charlotte Motor Speedway, the project will mark Soderbergh's first feature film since announcing his retirement from the film industry in 2013.

http://www.jayski.com/cupnews.htm#20160526g

VikingSkull posted:

so someone found a pic of the modified my dad built

Sweeeeeeeeeeeeet.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

What the hell are they going to steal? The most valuable thing at a race is probably Dale Jr.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

My new goal for the weekend is to seek out the cameras and sneak into a background shot

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

jabro posted:

What the hell are they going to steal? The most valuable thing at a race is probably Dale Jr.

Nationwide will pay out big of you return him unharmed.

Elitist Bitch
Sep 13, 2007

LASTCAR posted:

I'll forget last-place stats before I forget BP. I'm blown away by his humility.

I'm happier about BP making the Hall than Mark Martin.

Some Random Asshole
Apr 30, 2006

HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS

Elitist Bitch posted:

I'm happier about BP making the Hall than Mark Martin.

A little birdie who might be rear end in a top hat buddies with mark said he's in Indy with his coach. They didn't tell him until they announced it and he's loving off up in the sun right now :lol:

SPiTZ
Aug 9, 2004

Hell yeah! I know I've got a physical copy of that picture somewhere.

I always liked the red/white shooting star miller schemes over the gold or anything to follow though.

And I guess that's pretty interesting that the two main beer companies both had twin team cars in red/white reverse color schemes in 1986. AND Elliott was in a red/white Coors car also!

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

e- also of note, this year Halmar has 3 full time big blocks, plus one shared by Dave Blaney and Mike McLaughlin's son

Seizure Meat fucked around with this message at 06:49 on May 27, 2016

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Another old modified pic. My dad wasn't on the crew by this time, but this is the car Johnny O was driving when he was killed right in front of us nearly 30 years ago, July 10th, 1986. :smith: Johnny was a great guy to me the only time I ever met him, and this car was the 2nd race car I had ever sat in, Eddie Haenelt's crazy Buick V6 mod being the first, earlier that night.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

SPiTZ posted:

I always liked the red/white shooting star miller schemes over the gold or anything to follow though.

Blasphemy!

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

or

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

But, just imagine if they were GOLD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

bigbillystyle posted:

But, just imagine if they were GOLD.

black n gold miller light car, best miller light car.

• Locked thread