Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Tokyo Sex Whale posted:

It boggles my mind how aggrieved people are about Dark Souls.

The past 100 or more pages have been people constantly griping about one of the best games ever made. It blows my loving mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
These are some of the same idiot assholes who defend every Bethesda pile as fun because the bugs "add charm" or some poo poo.

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

Deified Data posted:

drat, NG+ Crystal Sage clowned my sorcerer a few times. Fight turns into kind of a slog when all you have is magic yourself.

People say this one's easy but I always have trouble dodging spells I don't see coming. Using throwing knives to pop the clones helps, though.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
I don't think anyone likes bugs dude. This game is a lot of fun but has some overtly glaring poo poo going on.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Yeah crazy that people are talking about the pros and cons of a game in a SA thread :rolleyes:

This game is really good, obviously, but no thread is ever a bastion of complete positivity.

VVV People have done extensive testing on poise. It doesn't do anything. What are you mistaking for poise is probably just hyper armour, which is tied to specific weapon attack frames.

I almost never played with heavy armour so it being broken means almost nothing for me, but I recognize that having an entire stat the game just lies about is silly.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 04:26 on May 26, 2016

MarshyMcFly
Aug 16, 2012

I swear everyone who plays ds3 are whiney babbies about poise. Just because a stat doesn't work in your favor all the time doesn't mean it doesn't work at all! It works completely fine in my main character, I don't think I'm any different from other people playing this game. Sometimes I can't poise through an attack doesnt mean that I believe that it doesn't exist. I feel like everyone complaining about poise exadurates it's uselessness to the point of everyone becoming convinced that it doesn't exist. I'm not going to be one of those people. Does that mean I don't think poise isn't working the way it's supposed to? No. But I don't believe that it doesn't exist.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

its a good game but there's obvious steps back from bloodborne and *gulp* ds2. it's natural to talk about them.

GulagDolls fucked around with this message at 04:52 on May 26, 2016

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

McFly you sure said a lot of rear end covering nothing. I'm glad that you both think poise exists and is not working like it should.

MarshyMcFly
Aug 16, 2012

I'm not covering my rear end I'm saying what I think and that is that it DOES exist despite most peoples gripping.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
It's sad that the Abyss Watchers have the best song in the game, because it's a fight that only lasts for a minute

MarshyMcFly posted:

I swear everyone who plays ds3 are whiney babbies about poise. Just because a stat doesn't work in your favor all the time doesn't mean it doesn't work at all! It works completely fine in my main character, I don't think I'm any different from other people playing this game. Sometimes I can't poise through an attack doesnt mean that I believe that it doesn't exist. I feel like everyone complaining about poise exadurates it's uselessness to the point of everyone becoming convinced that it doesn't exist. I'm not going to be one of those people. Does that mean I don't think poise isn't working the way it's supposed to? No. But I don't believe that it doesn't exist.

are you ok reatard

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Maybe Kris can come in, and we can throw M-80s at his asshole.

MarshyMcFly posted:

I swear everyone who plays ds3 are whiney babbies about poise. Just because a stat doesn't work in your favor all the time doesn't mean it doesn't work at all!

Yes it does mean that. Extensive testing has been done.

If you have 0 poise hyper armor doesn't work. If you have 1 poise hyper armor works. Any value greater than 1 poise has absolutely no effect on anything whatsoever.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
I don't understand the problem, poise is working as intended.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
9 ears, 5 deaths to R1 straightsword spam by at least two players at the same time, 2 deaths to other weapons that happened because I did not heal while fighting those.

Blacktoll posted:

People are aggrieved because builds feel monotone.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

MarshyMcFly posted:

I'm not covering my rear end I'm saying what I think and that is that it DOES exist despite most peoples gripping.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h21kjagkSNw

Guy is wearing full Havel's and gets stunned by the weakest enemy in the game. Doesn't do anything dude.

Again, what you think is poise is probably hyper armour, an entirely separate mechanic. Its tied to weapon frames and has nothing to do with poise higher than 1.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywdjQPy3jmw

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Again, poise is a percentage.

Of what?

I have no clue.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
It's a percentage of how much poise you have, obviously. If you have 35 poise, then you have 35 poise.

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

MarshyMcFly posted:

What effect do you think poise has other than making a number on your character screen change?

*EDIT*
This is a serious question because we've been trying to figure this out for ages now. Other than the fact that 1 poise = 999999999 poise in that it activates hyper armor mechanics for a single class of weapon as long as it doesn't equal exactly 0, nobody has found any actual effect for it.

*EDIT2*

Oh, is poise signed? What if you have negative poise?

Gus Hobbleton fucked around with this message at 04:53 on May 26, 2016

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

:laffo: the big head and walking off into the sun parts were hilarious

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Tallgeese posted:

Again, poise is a percentage.

Of what?

I have no clue.

what happens at 100%?

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Apparently poise, "exists despite people's gripping(sic)" which is still more information than any of FROM's patch notes.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Poise definitely exists. It just doesn't DO anything

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

poise makes you get summonened as a darkmoon more often

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Gus Hobbleton posted:

Oh, is poise signed? What if you have negative poise?

Poise is reversed internally, like absorption.

For example, 100% fire absorption is represented as multiplying fire damage by 0.

Thus, 100% poise is obtained by multiplying poise by 0.

If you multiply poise by a negative number, it goes above 100%.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Nothing like a pack of rats or dumb peasants being the most dangerous enemy because of their janky super fast lunge attacks and poise not existing so a hot fart stops your 100 pound anime buster sword mid swing

But what do I know this is the best game ever made and a masterpiece.

MarshyMcFly
Aug 16, 2012

Ok I get it. Although the guy was ranting a little bit in his video. Seems to me that poise only exists for weapon arts and that's literally it. Havel's armor is almost nothing special anymore, wolf ring is useless, and I didn't even realize that the yhorms great shield had that effect but thats almost useless too.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Some attacks and weapon arts give "poise" but it's more like hyper armor from fighting games, in that you just can't be staggered at all during the attack (or whatever condition you prefer). The attribute called poise has nothing to do with that, you either have hyper armor or you don't. It seems like in this game there is some priority to hyper armor (i.e. a higher priority attack will negate the armor from a lower priority attack that would otherwise have armor) but, again, the poise affix has nothing to do with it.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

There is no such thing as priority (except priority in effect applied, but that is not relevant to hyper armor).

All anti-stagger abilities provide the same anti-stagger state.

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 05:10 on May 26, 2016

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Oh really? I could have sworn other enemy attacks have knocked me out of attacks that I should be armored for, but I could be very bad.

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004
Weight gain is impossible.
Didn't some dude figure out poise a couple weeks ago, and the effect is just different from DS1/2? https://www.reddit.com/r/darksouls3/comments/4jdwy6/dark_souls_3_poise_mechanics_im_pretty_damn_sure/

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

RyokoTK posted:

Oh really? I could have sworn other enemy attacks have knocked me out of attacks that I should be armored for, but I could be very bad.

Well, there are actually certain flags that mediate whether the hyper armor applies to certain locational damage.

In practice this means "whether headshots stagger you anyway".

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Eldred posted:

Didn't some dude figure out poise a couple weeks ago, and the effect is just different from DS1/2? https://www.reddit.com/r/darksouls3/comments/4jdwy6/dark_souls_3_poise_mechanics_im_pretty_damn_sure/

If you want to believe something that insignificant and assbackwards is poise go ahead.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Blacktoll posted:

Nothing like a pack of rats or dumb peasants being the most dangerous enemy because of their janky super fast lunge attacks and poise not existing so a hot fart stops your 100 pound anime buster sword mid swing

But what do I know this is the best game ever made and a masterpiece.

Yee it's a bit silly that 3 whole rats at once is more threatening than a giant enemy knight. I can see why they don't do poison/toxic/curse this time around.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
Your mom was poise, all along.

Ignoring the dumb agility poo poo, how was DS2 poise different from DS1 poise? (Still haven't fired DS2SOFTS PS4 up even once but now NMS got delayed so)

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

It only applied in the middle of attacks, if I recall.

Meaning that it was like DS3 hyper armor that was on every weapon, but then some other weapons had additional guaranteed hyper armor.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

MrLonghair posted:

Your mom was poise, all along.

Ignoring the dumb agility poo poo, how was DS2 poise different from DS1 poise? (Still haven't fired DS2SOFTS PS4 up even once but now NMS got delayed so)

The values were much lower and most weapons (especially with Stone Ring) could break your poise in 1 or 2 hits. However if you were in the middle of an attack you got a buff that reduced poise damage taken.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

I'm pretty sure even thousands of poise wouldn't help you if you weren't swinging a weapon.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Tallgeese posted:

It only applied in the middle of attacks, if I recall.

Meaning that it was like DS3 hyper armor that was on every weapon, but then some other weapons had additional guaranteed hyper armor.

Kild posted:

The values were much lower and most weapons (especially with Stone Ring) could break your poise in 1 or 2 hits. However if you were in the middle of an attack you got a buff that reduced poise damage taken.

Sounds like a sensible logical system to me! This is a loving Team C game!

http://i.imgur.com/DXSCoOj.webm oh no stunlocked for the next 30 minutes

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Tallgeese posted:

There is no such thing as priority (except priority in effect applied, but that is not relevant to hyper armor).

Are you sure? My experiences against drakeblood knights taught me that their greatsword attacks can poise through and/or interrupt my standard axe attacks but my greataxe attacks will poise through and/or interrupt their greatsword attacks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

BillmasterCozb posted:

It's sad that the Abyss Watchers have the best song in the game, because it's a fight that only lasts for a minute

most boss fights only last a couple minutes