Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I don't get the fear about most cars being "out of production". The vast majority of cars on the road today, even if the model is still currently in production, are older generations with a significant amount of parts that are specific to it and not shared with the current version.

It's only been in the last few years where parts for my 1970 GMC truck have gone from "in stock at just about every parts store" to "we can have that in a day or two". Parts availability is mostly a problem with cars that were not sold in a given market (such as an older Skyline in the US) or that received poor manufacturer support even when new (04-06 Pontiac GTO). Even then, thanks to the internet, you can order what you need even if it has to come internationally.

Edit: regarding LATCH, that was mandated in the US for MY 2003. Also, if the plan is to start a family in "a few years" and safety is paramount, consider replacing the car with something a bit newer when that time comes. Some newer options will have depreciated down to that price point by then.

IOwnCalculus fucked around with this message at 15:19 on May 23, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

IOwnCalculus posted:

I don't get the fear about most cars being "out of production". The vast majority of cars on the road today, even if the model is still currently in production, are older generations with a significant amount of parts that are specific to it and not shared with the current version.

It's only been in the last few years where parts for my 1970 GMC truck have gone from "in stock at just about every parts store" to "we can have that in a day or two". Parts availability is mostly a problem with cars that were not sold in a given market (such as an older Skyline in the US) or that received poor manufacturer support even when new (04-06 Pontiac GTO). Even then, thanks to the internet, you can order what you need even if it has to come internationally.

The MRS *was* a pretty rare car though. I don't think most greasy parts are an issue but I could see unique stuff like the convertible top and body panels being difficult to source, so I think he's right to be a bit concerned.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Under 30k sold in North America so it's like the polar opposite of a 70s GMC.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

The Focus is probably going to be the best value for the money, but not all of them in that era come with ABS brakes. Make sure yours does! Any car you buy is going to be not all that safe compared to a new car. Not that cars from 2005 are inherently unsafe, but the state of the art has progressed significantly. IIHS has good information about safety on cars. You should make sure the car has airbags, antilock brakes, and ideally stability control. Side impact ratings tend to be more important for the safety of children in the car. Make sure the car has LATCH anchors for carseats. I think almost everything did, but best to be sure.

Frankly, you really aren't spending enough money to give you a lot of choices. I would stay away from the heated seats requirement - if you luck out, great, but you need to focus on maintenance history, safety features and mileage. I would avoid the Golf, Fits are likely to be out of your price range, and the Versa isn't all that good. The Yaris tends to be expensive. An option would be to look for cars that have sustained some cosmetic damage, like hail. The price of the car will drop significantly. Avoid cosmetic damage due to accidents, it's too difficult to tell what else went on.

Are you or your husband handy enough to do basic routine maintenance?

Not remotely, unfortunately. We know practically nothing about cars.

We'll take all this into consideration. With us buying a house soon, this is really all we can afford right now, and living in the new house will absolutely require a vehicle. Heated seats aren't a deal breaker, but just really nice to have when it gets 30 below 0.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Nessa posted:

We'll take all this into consideration. With us buying a house soon, this is really all we can afford right now, and living in the new house will absolutely require a vehicle. Heated seats aren't a deal breaker, but just really nice to have when it gets 30 below 0.

Aftermarket remote starter is like $200. I'm usually much more bothered by my hands freezing than my rear end anyway.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Nessa posted:

The BFC guy in me says you really can't afford a car, and you should have accounted for the cost of the car more effectively in your house expenses, but whatever, it sounds like it's a done deal.

You could get a beat-to-poo poo Ford Ranger or something like that, which would be the most practical from a homeowner perspective. Just don't expect good fuel economy.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

The BFC guy in me says you really can't afford a car, and you should have accounted for the cost of the car more effectively in your house expenses, but whatever, it sounds like it's a done deal.

You could get a beat-to-poo poo Ford Ranger or something like that, which would be the most practical from a homeowner perspective. Just don't expect good fuel economy.

I understand that. Not knowing anything about cars, I didn't think a decent used vehicle that functions would cost us more than 5 grand.

A Ford Ranger? Those are big trucks, right? We were offered my grandfather's old truck from the 90's after he passed away in September, but we didn't want to drive such a large vehicle around the city.

It looks like my father in law can help us get a deal on a car, but it's only a sedan.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Nessa posted:

I understand that. Not knowing anything about cars, I didn't think a decent used vehicle that functions would cost us more than 5 grand.

A Ford Ranger? Those are big trucks, right? We were offered my grandfather's old truck from the 90's after he passed away in September, but we didn't want to drive such a large vehicle around the city.

It looks like my father in law can help us get a deal on a car, but it's only a sedan.

Rangers are the smallest trucks you can find, there's a Mazda version that's exactly the same truck too. If you're just starting out and also don't have a very long commute and are not sensitive to fuel prices a truck is pretty useful because you can just go out and pick up free furniture off craigslist.

I've been trying to buy a truck around here in Victoria and am having no luck at all because there are basically no lightly used trucks prices at less than $35k. A salesman at the Chrysler dealer told me that they don't even keep 2-3 year old trucks around any more because they can bundle them up and sell them to the US for more than what they can get in Canada due to the depreciated Canadian dollar. The used market in general seems much tighter than it was a few years ago.

At your price range you're just going to have to find a used vehicle at your price range with the body style you want and then either research yourself or ask for an opinion here. Stay away from all European cars.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Five grand is about the minimum for something that you won't have to put a shitload of time effort and money in to, and even then it's a crap shoot, and you're hindered by lack of knowledge about cars in general which makes it difficult to uncover issues on your own.

You should have taken the truck. Free is good, and driving a larger vehicle in the city is something you get used to very easily. The only downside is on-street parallel parking. Plus, you're in Edmonton, right? There are fuckin huge brotrucks everywhere. It's not like Florence or Athens.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Five grand is about the minimum for something that you won't have to put a shitload of time effort and money in to, and even then it's a crap shoot, and you're hindered by lack of knowledge about cars in general which makes it difficult to uncover issues on your own.

You should have taken the truck. Free is good, and driving a larger vehicle in the city is something you get used to very easily. The only downside is on-street parallel parking. Plus, you're in Edmonton, right? There are fuckin huge brotrucks everywhere. It's not like Florence or Athens.

Yes, and I hate all the trucks here. I'm not even sure a truck would fit comfortably in our future single garage, but it might.

My dad offered to get us a free car as well and fix it up himself (he's a tow truck driver and mechanic), but knowing him, he wouldn't get around to it for at least 6 months. He's impossible to get ahold of because he doesn't answer his phone and he's working all the time. He also offered to give us an older Mercedes as a wedding gift, but I guess that was just a joke because he took it off the table. But that was probably for the best.

The current hatchback cars on Kijiji in our price range include:

2010 Mazda 3
2009 Pontiac Wave
2006 Ford Focus
2007 Dodge Caliber
2008 Toyota Matrix (all the way out in Whitecourt)
2002 Mazda Protege
2007 Hyundai Accent
And several PT Cruisers

I'm curious about possibly going through a used car dealership and getting a car just a bit out of our current price range, and paying the rest off over time. Would that be something to look into to get a better vehicle or is that a terrible idea?

I guess we won't hear back from my father in law until Monday, when he can get in touch with his contact.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Matrix is the best out of that bunch.
The old Mercedes was a joke, unless you like visiting the shop for expensive repairs on the regular.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Mazda3 is the best option. You can get a loan for a car that you buy private party. Do not go to a used car dealership especially not a buy-here-pay-here place.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Have you bought the house? What are the dimensions of the garage? I am sure that a ranger will fit in whatever garage exists.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Mazda3 is the best option. You can get a loan for a car that you buy private party. Do not go to a used car dealership especially not a buy-here-pay-here place.

In the frigid north I would make sure it hasn't got any rust issues. 5 grand seems a bit low, unless I've got how the CAD being weak works backwards.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I'd probably go for the Matrix if the Mazda is a sedan.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Didn't the 3s of this Era have rust problems still? I didn't think they really fixed it until about 11/12.

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

Any opinions on 3rd party rust / underbody coating?

I got a 2014 Camry Hybrid XLE with 28k miles for $17.5k. Toyota Certified, too. It came with all-season rubber mats and the front 3M film to prevent chipping from road material.

I said no thanks to like 30 different options and the only one which was of any interest was the underbody coating, but I wasn't going to be pressured into spending $500 on a dubious add-on and figured if it was worth it for $500 it'll be worth it for $600.

...so... is it worthwhile? I do live in Minnesota with considerable road salt, but modern engineering, OEM coating, and unknown previous owner (did they coat?) makes me hesitate.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

tater_salad posted:

Didn't the 3s of this Era have rust problems still? I didn't think they really fixed it until about 11/12.

Maybe, I'm not an expert on that - but you can find out pretty quick by looking.

edit: i mean by physically examining that particular car

KYOON GRIFFEY JR fucked around with this message at 23:17 on May 24, 2016

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

DNK posted:

Any opinions on 3rd party rust / underbody coating?

I got a 2014 Camry Hybrid XLE with 28k miles for $17.5k. Toyota Certified, too. It came with all-season rubber mats and the front 3M film to prevent chipping from road material.

I said no thanks to like 30 different options and the only one which was of any interest was the underbody coating, but I wasn't going to be pressured into spending $500 on a dubious add-on and figured if it was worth it for $500 it'll be worth it for $600.

...so... is it worthwhile? I do live in Minnesota with considerable road salt, but modern engineering, OEM coating, and unknown previous owner (did they coat?) makes me hesitate.

Do not buy that poo poo. Just wash the car's undercarriage when it gets warm enough that the car washes are open.

That seems like a fairly decent price for the Camry as far as such things go, not bad.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Have you bought the house? What are the dimensions of the garage? I am sure that a ranger will fit in whatever garage exists.

We close in 49 days.

I don't know the dimensions, just that it's a single car garage.

I'm gonna wait till I hear back from my father in law.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Ranger drives like a truck, and not a good one at that, so it's going to loving suck for anything other than carrying furniture/yard supplies. I'd suggest getting a sensible small car and just renting a truck/van when you need to move bulky objects. And if you suddenly need to replace your roof and need an actual ton of shingles, hardware stores will deliver for a small fee.

You can have a turn of the century Camry/Accord for a couple of grand. Don't limit yourself to a specific type of vehicle, like a wagon, because that leaves 95% of used vehicles off the table. Even a lovely Honda Civic can carry 500lbs of stuff, assuming it's evenly distributed. Get roof racks for carrying ladders, lumber, Christmas trees.

Nitrox fucked around with this message at 13:59 on May 25, 2016

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
They were looking at the ranger because it was free (at the time.) Not sure if the free thing was still an option. I don't think they want a truck at all for any reason whatsoever. Being free outweighs a lot of other concerns at their budget considering the ranger is at least pretty reliable.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

powderific posted:

They were looking at the ranger because it was free (at the time.) Not sure if the free thing was still an option. I don't think they want a truck at all for any reason whatsoever. Being free outweighs a lot of other concerns at their budget considering the ranger is at least pretty reliable.

My grandpa's old truck was a Dodge Ram and someone else in the family already took it because we wanted something smaller.

Any small car would do for us really, so long as it has 4 seats. I just have a preference for hatchbacks, so that's what I'm mainly looking at.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

you don't have the budget to have a preference other than the most reliable, lowest mileage poo poo you can find in your price range, or whatever comes out of the Free Tree, but you already cut down the Free Tree because you didn't like it so that's out I guess

seriously how many times does this need to be said

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Reading some other online car buying guides I emailed all the Mazda and Honda dealers with exactly what I was looking for, allowing for the closest match in options, and for an out the door price.

Supposed to cut out all the bullshit so I can just compare prices and make a purchase.

It does not. I'm glad I made a dummy email account for this.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Blackchamber posted:

Reading some other online car buying guides I emailed all the Mazda and Honda dealers with exactly what I was looking for, allowing for the closest match in options, and for an out the door price.

Supposed to cut out all the bullshit so I can just compare prices and make a purchase.

It does not. I'm glad I made a dummy email account for this.
The Rizzo method, mentioned in online buying guides, only works on new inventory.

If you are shopping new, use this https://amexnetwork.truecar.com/main.html
Link it to that same dummy email account and list a fake phone number, lest you want a ton of spam. It collects offers from 3 closest dealerships. You can game the system by changing your zipcode to a more rural area and driving further to get your car. If you're in a market for a leftover, you're gonna get offers below invoice almost immediately.

Last time I used it, the same dealership sent me 3 emails, each with slightly lower price. They really wanted to get rid of that truck, I guess.

Nitrox fucked around with this message at 23:58 on May 25, 2016

facey fred
Sep 17, 2007
quite facey
Do automatic Mazda 2s have lovely transmissions?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

facey fred posted:

lovely in the sense that it is a 4-speed auto in 2014 (or so). It isn't pleasant or well mated to the engine (unlike the manual, which is great and the transmission everyone sould buy). It isn't unreliable.
The whole point of the mazda 2 is to be cheap and fun to drive and the manual transmission is a huge part of that. Someone who wants an auto would be better served by a more boring car with more features.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

facey fred posted:

The auto Mazda2 feels like driving a riding mower.

Get a 3.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Nitrox posted:

The Rizzo method, mentioned in online buying guides, only works on new inventory.

If you are shopping new, use this https://amexnetwork.truecar.com/main.html
Link it to that same dummy email account and list a fake phone number, lest you want a ton of spam. It collects offers from 3 closest dealerships. You can game the system by changing your zipcode to a more rural area and driving further to get your car. If you're in a market for a leftover, you're gonna get offers below invoice almost immediately.

Last time I used it, the same dealership sent me 3 emails, each with slightly lower price. They really wanted to get rid of that truck, I guess.

Thanks, I'll try that. Yeah I was looking for a new car, and I was hitting dealerships in a radius of 75 miles.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

True car isn't that good.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
I'm going to start law school in the fall far away from home and for that reason I kind of want to buy a truck. I don't think I can comfortably fit any of the half tons in my underground parking space so I went and test drove a new Tacoma today. The clutch is still a bit too long but the gearshift throws are fairly short and its not bad for a truck. Could use an extra gear though, the MT is only a 5 speed. The engine is the new fancy Lexus 3.5l with both direct and port injection and able to switch between Atkinson and Otto cycle. It's expensive as hell since the MT basically only comes with the TRD Off Road trim and I'm never going off road.

I test drove the new Aluminum F150 a couple of days ago too. It's pretty nice but again I don't want to be parking such a large vehicle. The resale values on the Tacoma are so ridiculous that it's looking like the cheaper option.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Why does "going to law school" = "want to buy a truck"?

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Internet Explorer posted:

Why does "going to law school" = "want to buy a truck"?

Well it's halfway across the continent, having a truck means I can bring more stuff with me and also in the new town pick up free furniture from criag...yeah you know what it's probably not a great reason to buy a truck. :geno:

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

If you want a truck, don't let me stop you. I don't think those are great reasons for one. I'm not familiar with the costs you are referring to, but they sound high. I'm not sure if you already have something lined up after law school or if you can afford it without going into debt, but most people incur a big debt from law school and the prospects these days after passing the bar are not very good.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Throatwarbler posted:

Well it's halfway across the continent, having a truck means I can bring more stuff with me and also in the new town pick up free furniture from criag...yeah you know what it's probably not a great reason to buy a truck. :geno:

Buy the best example of a prius you can afford then have your stuff freighted.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Throatwarbler posted:

I'm going to start law school in the fall far away from home and for that reason I kind of want to buy a truck. I don't think I can comfortably fit any of the half tons in my underground parking space so I went and test drove a new Tacoma today. The clutch is still a bit too long but the gearshift throws are fairly short and its not bad for a truck. Could use an extra gear though, the MT is only a 5 speed. The engine is the new fancy Lexus 3.5l with both direct and port injection and able to switch between Atkinson and Otto cycle. It's expensive as hell since the MT basically only comes with the TRD Off Road trim and I'm never going off road.

I test drove the new Aluminum F150 a couple of days ago too. It's pretty nice but again I don't want to be parking such a large vehicle. The resale values on the Tacoma are so ridiculous that it's looking like the cheaper option.

Buy a truck. Don't go to law school though.

Seriously don't buy a loving new truck before you go to law school. The last thing you need is a car payment the whole time.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
I already have a car, it's perfectly fine other than not being a truck and I barely ever drive it anyway because I ride my bike everywhere. Once I get to school I'm going to just rent a place a mile away from campus and I'll never drive anywhere either. OTOH the total cost of ownership for a Tacoma with the depreciation that KBB and other research is telling me is so low that it seems unreal.

Maybe I just like talking about my litany of poor life choices. :unsmith:

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
So you have a car, a bike and your commute will be a mile away? And you plan to buy a brand new truck so you can actually use it once? It's not my money, but have fun lighting it on fire. The depreciation you'll be eating in the first year is enough to ship all your belongings and fly across country first class.

Nitrox fucked around with this message at 06:39 on May 26, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
Buy a truck and be the most popular person on campus. Bad with gas, good with life.