Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
It is quite frankly embarrassing how none of you have picked up on the fact that Richard is clearly the Gohan of this story. How powers don't work until he gets super extra double pissed off and cornered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Are you a farter?

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

ApathyGifted posted:

The breaking point I was talking about was not a stress thing, it was a "had enough of this poo poo" thing. Richard is non-confrontational as all hell so he stutters and midspeaks constantly from second guessing if he's being too forceful or making things worse when he's in a conflict. Then someone steps on him enough that he's pushed past the "gently caress this clown" point and lets loose. Half the young engineers I know, including the early-20's me, are like this. He's not actually nervous during the non-confrontational phase, if you pay close attention you can see he's actually constantly pulling himself back from just going on a rant. The only times he's really been nervous were basically during season 1, up until the climactic presentation.

This is pretty accurate. I've hit a breaking point in several conversations both with family and at work which resulted in me being more articulate with my frustration but also less polite/holding back with my anger. It's pretty common from what I've seen, everyone has their tipping point.

savetheclocktower
Sep 23, 2004

You wait and see, Mr. Caruthers. I will be president! I'll be the most powerful president in the history of America. And I'm gonna clean up this country!
My problem is not that they're back in Erlich's house; that could've happened a number of plausible ways. My problem is that they seem as though they're winging it from episode to episode.

With the first few episodes it seemed as though they were progressing the story a bit — new setting, a couple new characters for freshness, new ideas to play with, and so on. When they brought in Stephen Tobolowsky I thought that they must have something awesome in mind for him. I thought we were going to get a whole season of jokes about how developers and salespeople don't understand each other. Nope; Jack's gone after like three episodes and they barely even used the salespeople. Why did they do any of that stuff if they were going to throw it away so soon? Why do we keep going back to square one?

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Maybe they will go to the other hostel.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I'm fine that they didn't keep the salespeople or the box longer than four episodes; no need to pad out a story arc if they don't need to. Sales regularly shows up in any business so they'll be plenty of chances to lampoon them again.

We still have the story of PP and Hooli on a collision course. And outsourced programmers does seem like an interesting comedy promise. As long as I'm entertained and there's still teeth in their satire; I'm good.

victorious
Jul 2, 2007

As a youth I prayed, "Give me chastity and continence, but not yet."

Golden Bee posted:

Maybe they will go to the other hostel.

I was hoping this would happen, another house full of startup people could be hilarious.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

victorious posted:

I was hoping this would happen, another house full of startup people could be hilarious.

I was wondering why they didn't go to Bighead's place.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

RIGBY gently caress that guy, gently caress him. RIGBY!

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

So, I'm working through some late show back log and Zach Woods was on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWtxeyCATxY

Wow, he's pretty drat close to Jared in real life. It's hilarious.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Shageletic posted:

The hell is this. I don't know who you are talking about.

RIGBY this episode was written by Megan Amram, a comedian who's apparently done a ton of other stuff. A shiny new dime says the nickname is related to a comedy podcast of some sort: I don't listen to or care about podcasts, mostly because my car is a bit older and thus doesn't have an AUX jack.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender
Loving the new Bachmanity Capital site.

http://www.bachmanity.com

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?

bull3964 posted:

So, I'm working through some late show back log and Zach Woods was on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWtxeyCATxY

Wow, he's pretty drat close to Jared in real life. It's hilarious.
ZACH WOODS?! COME OUT OF YOUR HOUSE ZACH WOODS! WE'RE GOING TO BURN YOU FOR BEING TOO GOOD AT IMPROV!

He's always great on that show, they even have a video episode with him on it from when Earwolf did those for a while.

http://www.earwolf.com/person/zach-woods/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fe-V-ztn_5s

Illinois Smith fucked around with this message at 12:46 on May 25, 2016

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Zach Woods' character on The Office wasn't that popular, but I thought he was funny in that show too. I was a bit disappointed they couldn't contrive a reason for him to appear in the series finale.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Echo Chamber posted:

Zach Woods' character on The Office wasn't that popular, but I thought he was funny in that show too. I was a bit disappointed they couldn't contrive a reason for him to appear in the series finale.

"Shut up about the sun! SHUT UP ABOUT THE SUN!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHzk4g2zRaA

Solice Kirsk fucked around with this message at 23:22 on May 25, 2016

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I like how he always plays a serial killer who's trying really hard not to be.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

He's looks like a virgin that's been starved to death.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Never realized Zach Woods was on The Office! I gave up on that show pretty early into its run, but these Gabe clips are amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_yeh0iU6n4

I usually hate actors who only do one character, but I could watch Zach Woods all day :allears:

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

WE HAVE TO CONTROL OUR ENVIRONMENT
IF YOU SEE ME POSTING OUTSIDE OF THE AUSPOL THREAD PLEASE TELL ME THAT I'M MISSED AND TO START POSTING AGAIN
Is there a clip or a gif or meme of the On-Site Support gag from episode 4? Something about sour-faced monkeys? My team is about to start on-site support and I want to contribute to a positive environment.

Troy Queef posted:

RIGBY this episode was written by Megan Amram, a comedian who's apparently done a ton of other stuff. A shiny new dime says the nickname is related to a comedy podcast of some sort: I don't listen to or care about podcasts, mostly because my car is a bit older and thus doesn't have an AUX jack.

I keep waiting for them to work Kumail Nanjiani's X-Files Files podcast into the show.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
So Richard 'co-stars' as a cashier in a new Tina Fey AMEX commercial and somehow manages to be annoying there, too - without even being the main focus.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
He and TJ Miller were great in that episode of The League where they were cult members.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

My friend's wife was tragically afflicted with Improv Disease several years ago. The upside is she apparently worked with Zach Woods a few times before he got on The Office, and mentioned at the time how hilarious he is and how we should watch it just for the episodes he was in.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

Also I can't believe someone didn't quote the best line from the last episode: "I've organized a lot of estate sales, so this is kind of my wheelhouse. I have a lot of elderly friends."

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

BIG HEADLINE posted:

So Richard 'co-stars' as a cashier in a new Tina Fey AMEX commercial and somehow manages to be annoying there, too - without even being the main focus.

He was a pretty normal dude on Dwights farm episode in the last season of the office. He played dwights brother who had a pot farm.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
Middleditch is good at playing weirdo characters. I liked him when he showed up on Drunk History and his child-detective duo with Lauren Lapkus is among my favorite CBB characeters.

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

4... 4 Washington Lane! The answer is at the White House!

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Illinois Smith posted:

Middleditch is good at playing weirdo characters. I liked him when he showed up on Drunk History and his child-detective duo with Lauren Lapkus is among my favorite CBB characeters.

I keep telling everyone, You're The Worst, him at his best.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

mrmcd posted:

Also I can't believe someone didn't quote the best line from the last episode: "I've organized a lot of estate sales, so this is kind of my wheelhouse. I have a lot of elderly friends."

I wish they updated Jared's blog on the Pied Piper site more frequently, or else let him have his own personal blog like Let's Talk About Splett. If I quoted every Jared line that made me do a spit take...I'd be quoting every Jared line.

This one was particularly good, yes. I like how his life is just so obviously sad that every quip like this is both a revelation, and thoroughly unsurprising.

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
https://twitter.com/MikeJudge/status/736036190336344064

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib

mrmcd posted:

My friend's wife was tragically afflicted with Improv Disease several years ago. The upside is she apparently worked with Zach Woods a few times before he got on The Office, and mentioned at the time how hilarious he is and how we should watch it just for the episodes he was in.

Thats not a surprise. Ucb people heap praise on zach woods on all podcasts. Him and paul scheer receive the most effusive praise from fellow improv people. Very similar praise too in that they could play every role well in an improv team. Its crazy how many other comedians line up to suck their dick but good on them. Zach kills it on sv.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)

"Homosexuality being considered insanity in the DSM-1" :laffo:

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
He missed "The christening of the Titanic."

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

On Thursday, we were discussing various compliance strategies with client requests and security testing plans.

At the end, one of my coworkers (who has never seen the show) announced in exasperation that we might as well just "Put the drat platform on an appliance and stick it at a client's site, then we wouldn't even have to worry about their data."

I have never achieved such a perfect symmetry of art imitating life.

It be clear, he wasn't serious on the strategy, but I could totally see others in the org saying "Huh, that may not be a bad idea."

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Since I don't work in the tech field, why is it such a bad idea? Seems like the fastest and most hands off way to get your platform to other companies.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
It's not a bad idea, it's just super lame and not cool to say you created.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

It's a support nightmare. It's basically a completely different dev cycle. As a SaaS company, we incrementally push code every two weeks. No major releases, just a continued evolving of the platform.

You sort of lose that control when in install on-site. If everyone isn't updated at once, then you have to start maintaining many more code branches for support.

Not to mention that a good portion of our business is analysis of data for trends and we sort of lose that if we can't access it.

That's even beyond spinning up a whole new segment of business specifically to deal with hardware. That spirals into on site tech visits, warranty claims, etc.

It's basically reorienting your entire business model

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

bull3964 posted:

That's even beyond spinning up a whole new segment of business specifically to deal with hardware. That spirals into on site tech visits, warranty claims, etc.

And then you end up promising a full time member of staff to work on site...

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica

Red Oktober posted:

And the the client starts wanting little "one-off" additions to the platform that none of your other clients wants and your engineers didn't anticipate so to meet the deadline you have two code bases to manage on top of diverse deployment...

Confusion
Apr 3, 2009

Red Oktober posted:

Which is actually a great continues, and almost guaranteed, source of revenue.

People don't like it because it is not as scalable, so it requires you to admit that you are not gona hit exponential growth and that you are not really the next Google or Facebook.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crummelhorn
Nov 3, 2010

Confusion posted:

Which is actually a great continues, and almost guaranteed, source of revenue.

People don't like it because it is not as scalable, so it requires you to admit that you are not gona hit exponential growth and that you are not really the next Google or Facebook.

Who bought Jack Barker a forums account

• Locked thread