Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

bitcoin bastard posted:

Isn't there a potential issue with ultrasmall process architecture and the higher ambient radiation once you get into thinner atmosphere?

I don't know, but there definitely is a problem with cosmic rays knocking an electron out of place in some RAM, necessitating a reset once on the ground.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
I think center and bigger approach controls are mostly up to the end of last century technology-wise, so that's something!

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

Godholio posted:

Sounds like a lowest bidder to me.

Sun being lowest bidder on anything would blow my mind. I guess it could happen with DoD stuff though.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

fknlo posted:

I think center and bigger approach controls are mostly up to the end of last century technology-wise, so that's something!

Most of my friends are in IT, and are continually in awe of the inefficiency in every step of development, installation, testing, operation, support, and every other phase of ATC equipment.

ehnus
Apr 16, 2003

Now you're thinking with portals!

Godholio posted:

Sounds like a lowest bidder to me.

Pretty sure you won't have that problem now that Oracle owns Sun!

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Linedance posted:

I don't know, but there definitely is a problem with cosmic rays knocking an electron out of place in some RAM, necessitating a reset once on the ground.

High-altitude stuff (so like most airliners) are mostly concerned about neutron-induced SEUs -- the stuff running FADECs and similar are going to be hardened against that, or have some crazy FIT number that ensures failures (if they occur) are rare enough that redundancy or error correction/detection is enough to deal with it.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

FrozenVent posted:

Wonder how much you'd pay for an aviation grade fry basket.

Aeronautical Insanity: How much for an aviation grade fry basket?

TEAH SYAG
Oct 2, 2009

by Lowtax

CommieGIR posted:

JSTARS have:

Compaq Alphaserver ES40s
DEC AlphaServer
SUN SparcServer
IBM Blade Servers
HP Proliant DL380s
etc. etc. etc.

DL380 G1 and G2s more than likely, probably more Proliant 1xxx and 3xxx series from the Compaq days.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

TEAH SYAG posted:

DL380 G1 and G2s more than likely, probably more Proliant 1xxx and 3xxx series from the Compaq days.

Actually, G5 and G6s

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Today's the anniversary of American Airlines 191, the DC-10 whose engine fell off during takeoff from ORD, causing the deadliest aviation accident in the United States. Someone on Facebook requested a copy of the CVR transcript from the NTSB and posted it here.

HawkHill
Aug 15, 2015
never mind. the answer was already posted.

HawkHill fucked around with this message at 05:48 on May 26, 2016

charliemonster42
Sep 14, 2005

EvilJoven posted:

"Because aviation", that answer to all of life's important questions.

Well, OK, one important question; "why is this so horrifically expensive?"

The day I found out that a gas cap for the Cherokee Im learning to fly in goes for somewhere around $300 :psyduck:

I just found out today that the recommended spark plugs for my Stinson are $49.50 EACH. And there are TWELVE OF THEM.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

movax posted:

High-altitude stuff (so like most airliners) are mostly concerned about neutron-induced SEUs -- the stuff running FADECs and similar are going to be hardened against that, or have some crazy FIT number that ensures failures (if they occur) are rare enough that redundancy or error correction/detection is enough to deal with it.

This was specifically to do with power distribution units in the crown of the 787. It may have been neutrons but the key finding was it was ~space rays~, whatever particles they may consist of. And due to the relentless weight savings demanded by Boeing, and the high energy of the particles, effective shielding would be prohibitive. This was several years ago, GE might have worked out a fix or workaround in the meantime.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Cat Mattress posted:

When LockMart got the F-35's computer to crash only every ten hours instead of every four hours as before, the USAF said "okay, cool, good enough, we'll accept it like that"

You're conflating the failure rate of the electrical system with the failure rate of the software. Those crashes aren't caused by components blowing apart or transistors getting stuck open.

I made no claims about software.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
I've seen pictures of what happens when the foam fire suppression triggers in a hangar, but until yesterday I'd never witnessed it directly. Three airplanes completely buried, you couldn't even tell by looking in the hangar that there were aircraft in there.

Then the wind whipped up and I ended up being slowly chased down the ramp by a big foam whirlwind, it was like the Stay Puft Man exploded.

One of the aircraft was completely opened up for a mod period. Cockpit, all the access panels, engine covers, everything. I have no idea how you clean that up.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
So what happened to trigger the foampocalypse? False alarm? System malfunction? Someone's poo poo actually being on fire?

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Phanatic posted:

One of the aircraft was completely opened up for a mod period. Cockpit, all the access panels, engine covers, everything. I have no idea how you clean that up.

rubbing alcohol?

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Nebakenezzer posted:

rubbing alcohol?

and q-tips.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

The Locator posted:

and q-tips.

All of the q-tips.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

EvilJoven posted:

So what happened to trigger the foampocalypse? False alarm? System malfunction? Someone's poo poo actually being on fire?

Unknown at this point. But not the last one.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Cat Mattress posted:

When LockMart got the F-35's computer to crash only every ten hours instead of every four hours as before, the USAF said "okay, cool, good enough, we'll accept it like that"

So ten hours at let's say 200 MHZ without crashing well that's how many processor cycles that worked vs one that didn't soooo (200000000*60*60*10) / ((200000000*60*60*10)+1) = 99.999999999986% reliable! :v:

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
I got to see a jet powered drag truck set off the fire suppressant system in an empty B2 hanger at Whiteman AFB during an air show a long time ago. It was pretty cool.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Phanatic posted:

I've seen pictures of what happens when the foam fire suppression triggers in a hangar, but until yesterday I'd never witnessed it directly. Three airplanes completely buried, you couldn't even tell by looking in the hangar that there were aircraft in there.

Then the wind whipped up and I ended up being slowly chased down the ramp by a big foam whirlwind, it was like the Stay Puft Man exploded.

What planes?

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Godholio posted:

What planes?

Oh, it's a big pretty white one with wings and stripes and it looks like a big Tylenol.

(AH-64s, actually. I just love that movie.)

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]

CommieGIR posted:

JSTARS have:

Compaq Alphaserver ES40s
DEC AlphaServer
SUN SparcServer
IBM Blade Servers
HP Proliant DL380s
etc. etc. etc.

Considering the timeframe, Sun stuff was extremely popular in DoD at the time. In pre-Linux days Solaris was all the rage. At WPAFB I knew people with Sun workstations on the desk still. (2010)

Isn't JSTARS getting modernized? I remember reading something about it at work. (my company is involved somehow)

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

The AF is in a perpetual stop-go-wait-whatarewedoing-go-repeat process of figuring out what they want to use as a replacement. If they're going to replace it. Or if they should combine it into a multirole something. No, let's replace it. Or maybe just upgrade it. Or combine it with AWACS or RJ or something. Or...

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Godholio posted:

The AF is in a perpetual stop-go-wait-whatarewedoing-go-repeat process of figuring out what they want to use as a replacement. If they're going to replace it. Or if they should combine it into a multirole something. No, let's replace it. Or maybe just upgrade it. Or combine it with AWACS or RJ or something. Or...

Sounds like you guys are doing it the Canadian way - do nothing until you find the perfect solution in all conceivable senses

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

It's kind of been a mess since the start. They were being used in combat ops before the AF even decided if it wanted them, then by the time they decided YES Boeing had already killed the 707 line so the entire fleet is third-hand cargo jets and poo poo.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
They'll replace it with a 787 variant and find out that composites don't work well when it comes to mounting radomes or wedgetails. That, or they'll go 737-9/MAX and just build a shitload of them.

HawkHill
Aug 15, 2015
Following up on the helicopter history posts, I ran across this today:

Baumhauer helicopter, ca.1925 [1600 × 1165]

Netherlands Institute of Military History flickr commons

Looked this up on Wiki and it said:

quote:

Von Baumhauer's design made some major achievement which greatly influenced further development of helicopters. It used a single rotor, as opposed to two counter-rotating rotors on which most contemporary designs were based. He was one of the first to use the tail rotor to counteract the torque produced by the main rotor. The tail rotor was powered by its own engine (for easier control) and its angle of incidence could not be adjusted during flight. Another notable achievement was use of collective and cyclic pitch control. The swashplate principle was applied. Below the rotor, two concentric rings were mounted, connected to each other with bearings. The non-rotating inner ring could be tilted and moved along the rotor shaft. The outer ring rotated with the rotor and adjusted blade angles via rods. This enabled to adjust blade pitch according to blade's current angle, a mechanism which is still used in modern helicopters.

HawkHill fucked around with this message at 07:02 on May 27, 2016

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Greataval posted:

Polishing windows is messy and lame as gently caress to do.

not as bad as polishing aluminum

I mean, yeah it looks great on an old plane but gently caress you man I ain't doing that again

Brovine
Dec 24, 2011

Mooooo?

Greataval posted:

E-jet modules are junk that will break solders or simply not load if you sneeze in the general direction and cost any from 60k for custon I\O to 120k for NiM proc cards.

Oh so true...

Crawshayi
May 1, 2009
Half way through my first a380 trip. Really is huge when you see it up close. Also probably the comfiest and smoothest flight I've ever been on.

Is that a thing are bigger planes less susceptible to turbulence?

And now that I've tempted fate it's probably going to be turbulence all the way to Australia....

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Crawshayi posted:

Half way through my first a380 trip. Really is huge when you see it up close. Also probably the comfiest and smoothest flight I've ever been on.

And now that I've tempted fate it's probably going to be turbulence all the way to Australia....

I eventually want to do the DFW-SYD flight. I'll probably pony up for Business Class, but not First.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

Crawshayi posted:

Absolutely.

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007

Crawshayi posted:

You always hit turbulence ~10 degrees either side of the equator

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
SpaceX landed their rocket, again. I think they've got it down.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

CommieGIR posted:

SpaceX landed their rocket, again. I think they've got it down.

I kinda feel bad and good that it's not that exciting any more. Probably the same way the general public felt about the moon landings :ohdear:

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Wait til Falcon Heavy starts flying and they're landing 3 per launch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

P-47 Jackie's Revenge went into the Hudson an hour or so ago with a mechanical. Pilot had minor injuries but is okay, plane's getting scrapped by the Corps of Engineers.

Used to work that plane when she came to our airshow and it's a shame. Glad the pilot's okay though