Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008

Pete Zah posted:

The questions are summarized, respondent is verbatim. It's the respondent that keeps making the people noises, not the interviewer. I looked through my emails and found that the time they mentioned me missing the filler was when both interviewer and respondent were verbatim, so maybe I'm safe to ignore that stuff in this case.

Yeah, I mean, so, if he's just saying a bunch of, you know, filler before answering, then yes, you need to do it. I thought you meant he was saying mm-hmm, okay, et cetera before answering while the interviewer was asking the question, that stuff is generally left out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wigglin
Dec 19, 2007

thylacine posted:

Yeah, I mean, so, if he's just saying a bunch of, you know, filler before answering, then yes, you need to do it. I thought you meant he was saying mm-hmm, okay, et cetera before answering while the interviewer was asking the question, that stuff is generally left out.

Yes, it's the latter scenario. I think we just misunderstood each other twice but you answered my question anyway, haha. Thanks.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Yeah, them says yeah, mm-hm during a question is non interview. If it's a job that says no non interview, they'll probably make a special exception for these sorts of things like ink master. If they don't, then what you need is a .22 and a single round.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
When I get something that's clearly that kind of thing where I can't excise all the garabe, I will straight up cut the speaker off with ellipses to fit in the mm-hmm and poo poo. I hate it and I've been making a list of people I will find and destroy like I'm Liam Neeson, and until then I will run up the client's paper and ink bills.

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

'Cause we're the good guys.

I can safely say that once you get out of the training-wheels level of transcription you will almost never run into a client that doesn't understand that "mmm-hmm" and "yeah" are meaningless noises coming out of someone's face when they're not in direct answer to a question. If I actually had a client tell me to record every interjection like that at this point I would immediately triple my rate. Jesus Christ.

The vast majority of the work I do isn't even verbatim and when I do get a verbatim job I tend to grouse about it.

wigglin
Dec 19, 2007

Edit: just going to snip this to be safe.

Basically, imagine Jerry Lundegaard from Fargo trying to get his papers straight. I couldn't stop :lol:

wigglin fucked around with this message at 01:44 on May 23, 2016

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Let's mic the old lady who doesn't speak of word of English and tends to scratch her shirt. The translator? Why would we mic them, they're not being interviewed.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Hey guys, I just have to pop in to say that if any of you have any sort of skill or talent that you think people would pay money for, even transcribing, I'd highly recommend Fiverr. I know that it seems 'well, poo poo, it's only $5', and that's true... at first. But once you actually start getting gigs and at least build yourself up to level 1 (I think it required a 90% overall rating, and 10 orders completed), you can then get into using 'Gig packages'.

Gig packages are, first and foremost, ways to set your base price higher than $5 (which ends up being $4 USD, after Fiverr takes their 20%. In Canada, it comes out to still around $5 because of the exchange :toot:) For my specific case, I started out in December without knowing anything about the site or how I should be pricing things. I'm a sound designer and composer, and I was writing 30-seconds of music for $5, and it sucked. I then changed that to $5/15 seconds of music, but it was still kind of rough, because that is an extremely low price.

Obviously, doing work like that on this site STILL means you're probably busting your rear end way more than if you were on a real-life contract, but here's where you can tip the scales in your favour... use gig extras. Gig extras combined with gig packages has literally turned an order that would be $5-15 into a baseline $40 and I'll explain how.

Gig extras are little things that you can have the buyer request for additional costs. So, $5 for 15 seconds of music. I state upfront that it's going to be a 320kbps mp3 file. Now, the buyer has the option to also get a high-quality, uncompressed .wav file for $10. Know how much work is required to create that version? One click. So, right there, that's tripled the price. I also add in the option to get all of the audio tracks I used as separate audio files. That's still no real extra work, I charge an extra $10 for that, and people have bought it. There's the option to add extra revisions (I include 2 by default), as well as an option to speed the timeframe up. My usual timeframe for gigs was (pre-'gig packages') something like 6 days, but if they want it in 2, then they can pay extra for it. Granted, I usually bust a gig out in a couple of hours, but they don't know that. Usually, the difference between a gig due in 6 days vs one due in 2 is merely scheduling.

As for gig packages, as I mentioned, you can set your base price at whatever you want. Packages offer 3 levels of your gig, which is like 'Standard', 'Premium', and 'Pro'. To put it shortly, 'Good', 'Better', 'Best'. Since setting up my gig with gig packages, I no longer offer $5 for 15/seconds. My base price is $10. Doesn't seem like a huge jump, but in the long run, it'll add up. Another benefit to gig packages is that it makes it that much easier for a customer to just quickly buy your service without having to screw around with extras, as you can include some extras in your tiers automatically, and buyers STILL have the option to add other extras in there.

Here are two screenshots of my order page (my username not included, as I'm not trying to sell to you guys. If you ARE interested, PM me. Goon discount, free extras).

Oh, I should also mention that the reason I put the word 'podcast' in my gig packages is because 99% of people who order from me are looking for podcast music. I had no idea there was such a huge demand for that, and I've updated my keywords to play to that strength, help with my profile's SEO stuff.

I know I've rambled on and on, and I'm sorry if this seems to be all over the place, but I think I've finally come through to that feeling of 'oh poo poo, I could ACTUALLY make quite a bit of money here', vs how I used to feel, which was 'Fiverr is only good for getting some spare change, here and there'. If you're willing to pretty much nickel-and-dime the poo poo out of buyers with some things but still offer quality work, they WILL still buy, and you'll profit.

I've heard that the voice over and video testimonials section of Fiverr is some of the most profitable work you can get on there, and they DO have a transcribing section as well. I pretty much stick to music, since that's what I know best. :shobon:

Edit: PRO TIP: When starting out, ask a friend (or three) to sign up and submit a gig request for your stuff. Hell, pay them the $5 in advance so they're not out anything, because at that point, getting traffic to your profile is the most important thing, so completed, 5-star gigs are an excellent way to get noticed. I had two friends do this for me and it really helped. Just a note, though... It's best if your friend pretends they've stumbled across your profile, and that they carry on the full request within Fiverr so it doesn't look fishy. I've heard of people getting suspended when it seemed like they were extending their gigs outside of the site. Just have your friend message you on there with the request and details and you should be fine; don't have them put through an order with just the words "What we talked about, you know what to do."

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 05:49 on May 26, 2016

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

I'm adding that to the OP. I dunno how many people here want to do transcription at that level, but other services work on Fiverr too so hey, why not.

I also cleaned up a couple things and updated some info.

Speaking of updates, apparently Textbroker of all places is making a beneficial change to their system... maybe. They sent out an email.

Textbroker posted:

We are pleased to announce that Textbroker will be rolling out our new rating system on Wednesday, June 1, 2016. We included the suggestions and comments that we received from authors over the years in the design and implementation of the new system. Thank you for your ideas and your patience!

More Detailed Feedback

We will now provide you with more detailed and comprehensive feedback than before. We will review the articles relevant to your rating in particular detail and comment on them more extensively. Also, you will be able to increase your overall rating with a single rating!

More Transparency

You will now have the ability to view the articles that were used to determine your rating. The new rating overview for authors will allow you to directly understand our feedback via the rated articles and help you increase your star rating. Raising your star level will ultimately lead to a potential increase in your earnings!

What To Expect:

The articles used for rating are now selected based on statistical calculations and relevant criteria that includes client feedback. This ensures that you will be rated on the basis of the articles that best reflect your performance. Every recent article will be analyzed, but only one or two will be selected for detailed feedback.

Instead of your rating being comprised of the average rating of your last five orders, your rating will be based on your most recent rating. For example, if your order is rated a 4, your overall rating will be a 4 even if your previous rating was a 3. This means a faster promotion time!

If your star level is lowered during a rating, you will be systematically scheduled for your next rating on a priority basis. This will ensure that you can use the feedback you received to improve your writing and raise your star level quickly.

The current criteria for the rating of orders apply; author compliance to the client briefing remains a priority. Eliminating filler content and writing engaging text will be a key to achieving and maintaining 4- and 5-star ratings.

We will regularly examine articles from new authors before they are sent to the customer. This way, we can make sure that new Textbroker authors receive feedback and gain confidence quickly and that we can verify that the rating of an author’s initial writing sample was accurate before our customers see the text.

Before switching to the new rating system, all outstanding, not-yet-rated articles will be rated with the author’s current rating. After the switch, we will examine the orders that are most recent and, therefore, most relevant.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Writers Domain just dropped their prices per article.

Standards:

3 Stars - $12.25
4 Stars - $14.75
5 Stars - $15.50

Remember that we were once getting $20 per article 2 years ago.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

I'm surprised they're still going. Last I had heard they kept claiming to be dropping hundreds of article assignments but no one ever saw any.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Nighthand posted:

I'm surprised they're still going. Last I had heard they kept claiming to be dropping hundreds of article assignments but no one ever saw any.

You need to really know the drop schedule to get work there (specific days of the month and times of the day), and the writers that know keep it closely guarded because making it public takes money out of their pocket.

WD is my primary gig though. I can't think of many other places that I can make $30/hr and work when I want whenever I want. It's like a 15% pay cut for me.

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

I never could figure out the weird WD standards. Probably because after writing fifty topics about dental implants I just plain ran out of stuff to write that hasn't been written before.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Pikestaff posted:

I never could figure out the weird WD standards. Probably because after writing fifty topics about dental implants I just plain ran out of stuff to write that hasn't been written before.

Doesn't really matter... check out the blogs that your articles are posted at and it's the same poo poo over and over again.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
If you're going to be doing a conference call put your loving phone or whatever it is to silent you piece of poo poo I don't want to hear it chirping literally every 5 seconds while I'm trying to write what your middle management rear end is trying to say.

Slightly Used Cake
Oct 21, 2010
Is this for the education program for a popular search engine?

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

Slightly Used Cake posted:

Is this for the education program for a popular search engine?

Middle-management hell: A national call from a large chain discussing the sales and marketing of a specific department of products.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib
Those textbroker changes might get me to write again for them. I was a 4, ended up dropping to a 3 over a editor who didn't like a turn of phrase I used plus two YouTube comments being rated no higher than the request level, and never managed to climb back up because being level 3 basically blocks you out of everything but SEO garbage.

Maybe I'll write some poo poo for them again. Made some decent money writing how to shop team poo poo for them so maybe I can get back to writing real poo poo and escape the rank 3 hell.

Edit: lmao the only rank 3 article available wants 1200 words about a 400 word article (only use this source!!) for $12 and wants it done within 6 hours of accepting

Paramemetic fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Jun 3, 2016

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

Holy crap, for the first time in forever I found a show so bad I won't work on it. Timecoded ABS on a show which is 90% a crowd of trophy wives arguing about who disrespected who is a fuckin' nightmare. :)

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
What was "practices" and what was so bad about it to make someone rage quit?

wigglin
Dec 19, 2007

thylacine posted:

What was "practices" and what was so bad about it to make someone rage quit?

Transcribe an elementary classroom. Still doing it myself.

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008

Pete Zah posted:

Transcribe an elementary classroom. Still doing it myself.

Ouch, that was about the worst thing I've done. Transcribe a classroom that was recorded from a Flip cam somewhere off in the corner (using the kids' names of course.)

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Paramemetic posted:

Those textbroker changes might get me to write again for them. I was a 4, ended up dropping to a 3 over a editor who didn't like a turn of phrase I used plus two YouTube comments being rated no higher than the request level, and never managed to climb back up because being level 3 basically blocks you out of everything but SEO garbage.

Maybe I'll write some poo poo for them again. Made some decent money writing how to shop team poo poo for them so maybe I can get back to writing real poo poo and escape the rank 3 hell.

Edit: lmao the only rank 3 article available wants 1200 words about a 400 word article (only use this source!!) for $12 and wants it done within 6 hours of accepting

And I thought Writers Domain was bad with the pay decrease.

wigglin
Dec 19, 2007

thylacine posted:

Ouch, that was about the worst thing I've done. Transcribe a classroom that was recorded from a Flip cam somewhere off in the corner (using the kids' names of course.)

Yeah, I can't understand half of their names. I swear one kid is named "Plurl" or some poo poo. Due date is "end of day" which I hope means 11:59 PM PST because that's how I am rationing my sanity.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Yeah, stuff like Practices is why I always make sure to screen my assignments asap. I rejected that poo poo right away. I really hope the fact that someone ragequit mid assignment makes them reconsider projects like this.

Slightly Used Cake
Oct 21, 2010

counterfeitsaint posted:

Yeah, stuff like Practices is why I always make sure to screen my assignments asap. I rejected that poo poo right away. I really hope the fact that someone ragequit mid assignment makes them reconsider projects like this.

I think I remember that project from a couple years ago, which means no. They'll just hire more transcribers. Also someone please tell me what the point is of that project? Because honestly, I have yet to be able to figure out what they're studying other than how to creepily watch class sizes being too large to be effective a majority of the time.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Writers Domain is a complete joke now. 6 articles got posted this evening. It's no longer a battle of getting something you want, but anything in general.

Any tips to transitioning to another mill type site or something with a similar 'work when you can' demand schedule? I have a full time job doing something else, so I don't really have time to do something with a dedicated private client.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Astro7x posted:

Writers Domain is a complete joke now. 6 articles got posted this evening. It's no longer a battle of getting something you want, but anything in general.

Any tips to transitioning to another mill type site or something with a similar 'work when you can' demand schedule? I have a full time job doing something else, so I don't really have time to do something with a dedicated private client.

You could always sign up with WriterAccess or Textbroker. The latter is pretty "bottom-of-the-payscale-barrel," but at least you can set your own hours and write whenever.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Iv'e heard good things about Writers Access. Is the OP still accurate?

quote:

Writer Access – An excellent site to work for, and it works just about the same way as Textbroker. There are a few differences that make WA better than TB. First off, if you're tenacious, you can change your rating more easily than on TB, largely through active communication with clients. If you're accepted in at 3 stars, you can pull yourself up to 4 after a couple of articles. It works the same way as TB with the open pool you can claim assignments from, with one major difference: you can only claim one from a given client at first. Once they accept it, you can freely write for that client, but until they do, you're stuck waiting. Once you've gotten initial articles in for a range of common clients (and applied to plenty of casting calls and gotten on some love lists) you'll have a stream of possible assignments to choose from.

Note that the platform is increasingly pushing to have clients post casting calls and not dump orders to the open pool. This makes it hard to get work if you’re not an established writer. On the flip side, new writers are given an hour (ish, unconfirmed) where they see new casting calls before older writers, letting them get applications in first. It’s a mess. If you can get work, WA pay is fantastic for content mills. If you can’t, it’s an exercise in frustration.

The application process is a little long (take your time writing blurbs and fill out as much as you can) and you should be in within a month. Definitely make sure you know the AP stylebook and take your time with the writer's test, since even though you can reach 4 stars with a little work, it takes a while to find that work.

I've heard the pay on Text Broker is so low that it is not even worth my time TBH. I am not doing this as my full time job, so it's not a matter of filling up my 9-5 work day with anything

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

Unfortunately, writing's gone into the toilet. Google's gotten too good at identifying garbage-tier articles, so content mills are either paying super substandard wages or requiring actual credentials.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

kazmeyer posted:

Unfortunately, writing's gone into the toilet. Google's gotten too good at identifying garbage-tier articles, so content mills are either paying super substandard wages or requiring actual credentials.

My average hourly on WD with the rate adjustment is still $28/hr. I think that's still good considering I don't treat it as a full time job. Before the rate adjustment it was $33/hr.

I don't need a gig that can sustain that 40 hours a week, just enough for 1-2 hours a day as supplimental income. Somrthinthat lets me work when I can rather than having X hours of work with a midweek deadline that I can't guarantee I can do.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Of all the places to do writing, Writer Access is probably the best mill framework. The only big change they've made recently is that they've been transitioning to a more automated system to handle some of their back end stuff, like some kind of internal points system that helps the admins determine when someone qualifies for a star rating change up or down.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Don't forget: https://www.fiverr.com/categories/writing-translation/articles-blogposts/#layout=auto&page=1

I know it all starts at $5, but drat... you can do/get ANYTHING on there.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Nighthand posted:

Of all the places to do writing, Writer Access is probably the best mill framework. The only big change they've made recently is that they've been transitioning to a more automated system to handle some of their back end stuff, like some kind of internal points system that helps the admins determine when someone qualifies for a star rating change up or down.

Thanks for the insight! I'll look into this

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Don't forget: https://www.fiverr.com/categories/writing-translation/articles-blogposts/#layout=auto&page=1

I know it all starts at $5, but drat... you can do/get ANYTHING on there.

I know people that do Fiverr, but use it as like a loss leader to get better clients. Charge an upgrade for more words, things like that. I still don't like the idea of having an order come in midweek that I have to do, I like being in control of when I take the work. My day job comes first, and then online writing when I have the time.

It's why WD has worked out so perfectly for the past few years. I could accept an article in the AM, and if I couldn't get to it before it expired no big deal because it didn't affect my status. Same thing for grabbing an evening article when they got posted at like 7/8pm.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Astro7x posted:

I still don't like the idea of having an order come in midweek that I have to do, I like being in control of when I take the work. My day job comes first, and then online writing when I have the time.

I absolutely get this, but at the same time, you could have a time frame put on it that still gives you enough time to do it when you want.

Curvature of Earth
Sep 9, 2011

Projected cost of
invading Canada:
$900
Calibrating adwords in UHRS paints a very unflattering portrait of men.

No. 9
Feb 8, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Done with recruiting, thanks!

No. 9 fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Jun 29, 2016

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

No. 9 posted:

I'm recruiting for an Appen task if anyone is interested. It's one-time for now (might be a 2-3 future rounds) paying $25 AUD to PayPal.

I need males with US accents that have Android phones with Chrome on it (or download it). Let me know email me at numberneuf gmail or PM me, I have a simple screening survey then I can get you into doing it.

I'm not home until next week, is that too late?

No. 9
Feb 8, 2005

by R. Guyovich
I'll still be hiring by then. I think there's two more groups to be filled in the next coming weeks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mixodorian
Jan 26, 2009

No. 9 posted:

I'm recruiting for an Appen task if anyone is interested. It's one-time for now (might be a 2-3 future rounds) paying $25 AUD to PayPal.

I need males with US accents that have Android phones with Chrome on it (or download it). Let me know email me at numberneuf gmail or PM me, I have a simple screening survey then I can get you into doing it.

Edit: I can take a few people doing it through their laptops as well, but the majority have to be mobile.

I have a windows 7 PC with Chrome and have an iPhone which I could use Chrome on, could I help you out?