Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

MrLonghair posted:

Sounds like a sensible logical system to me! This is a loving Team C game!

http://i.imgur.com/DXSCoOj.webm oh no stunlocked for the next 30 minutes

someone really needs to have the YOU DIED bit fade in over that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

That has more to do with enemies actually having DS1 style poise and you not.

KaiserSchnitzel
Feb 23, 2003

Hey baby I think we Havel lot in common

MarshyMcFly posted:

It works completely fine in my main character

no it doesn't

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
I think tall is right on the money. But this is on par really. Enemies magic, archery lock on is always further than yours.

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004
Weight gain is impossible.

Kild posted:

If you want to believe something that insignificant and assbackwards is poise go ahead.

What? Someone actually went through, tested, and verified what poise currently does, and your counterargument is that you want it to work differently?

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Tallgeese posted:

That has more to do with enemies actually having DS1 style poise and you not.

Huh, I assumed that had more to do with certain enemies having large hyperarmor windows on specific attacks. This is most noticeable against silver knights since some of their attacks seem like they can be interrupted but others will not.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

Blacktoll posted:

I think tall is right on the money. But this is on par really. Enemies magic, archery lock on is always further than yours.

Not to mention how much farther their projectiles travel.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Poise in DS2 worked whether you were attacking or not, but it worked differently. If you weren't attacking you wouldn't just phase through the hit, but you wouldn't be staggered for as long and so could roll out and avoid further hits. If you were attacking it behaved like DS1 poise, and strength weapons boosted the effect by reducing incoming poise damage while attacking with them. The other big difference is that once broken it would take a long time without being hit to recover, so especially for a PVP match you couldn't count on poise after having it be broken once.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

hard counter posted:

Huh, I assumed that had more to do with certain enemies having large hyperarmor windows on specific attacks. This is most noticeable against silver knights since some of their attacks seem like they can be interrupted but others will not.

Who says it's not both?

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Genocyber posted:

Poise in DS2 worked whether you were attacking or not, but it worked differently. If you weren't attacking you wouldn't just phase through the hit, but you wouldn't be staggered for as long and so could roll out and avoid further hits. If you were attacking it behaved like DS1 poise, and strength weapons boosted the effect by reducing incoming poise damage while attacking with them. The other big difference is that once broken it would take a long time without being hit to recover, so especially for a PVP match you couldn't count on poise after having it be broken once.

This makes sense and would explain what happened when I accidentally gave myself unlimited poise. I didn't notice for months until someone told me.

(I wasn't kidding when I said DS2 effect editing was more difficult.)

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Eldred posted:

What? Someone actually went through, tested, and verified what poise currently does, and your counterargument is that you want it to work differently?

ok man enjoy your sick iframes with your full havels.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

hard counter posted:

this seems right to me too, or at least something similar that maybe we're not using the right words to describe. it seems like different weapons, or different weapon classes, or maybe even different weapons within classes (since so many things were hand coded, according to tall) have more or less ability to "stun" a target out of their attack animation, or interrupt them, or however you want to call it.

the silver knights outside the anor londo bonfire are a great example. if i run up at them with a straight sword and try to stab them while they are mid-thrust or mid-swing, i might hit them, but they just keep swinging their weapon too and continue to deal damage to me. this would imply they have hyper-armor (?) because their attack doesn't get interrupted by my sword.

but, against the same silver knights, if i attack them with a great sword or ultra great sword while they are mid-thrust or mid-swing, now my attack completely interrupts their animation and they reset to default pose and they take damage. this seems to imply they have no hyper-armor because they aren't able to just power through my attack.

is this the case where tall is saying that pve monsters have DS1 poise, so heavier weapons can actually stun lock them, while smaller weapons look like they are powering through your attacks?

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

It honestly probably is mostly down to DS1 style poise.

That system is still in use, as demonstrated by Unfaltering Prayer giving DS1 style poise. This indicates individual weapons still deal DS1-style poise damage for the purpose of penetrating Unfaltering Prayer and enemy poise.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Well if it were both I suppose it should take more than one straight sword hit to stop their effete cross-chop since strikes against ds1 poise built up an invisible meter but I guess weapons like daggers/rapiers needing the 2nd hit would still verify that they operate on ds1 poise.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

The problem is I don't know their poise damage because I never bothered to check.

Each individual weapon has its own poise damage entry, no different from physical, magic, fire, etc.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

Blacktoll posted:

Nothing like a pack of rats or dumb peasants being the most dangerous enemy because of their janky super fast lunge attacks and poise not existing so a hot fart stops your 100 pound anime buster sword mid swing

But what do I know this is the best game ever made and a masterpiece.

I know you're disappointed you lost a valuable way to smack down minor enemies, but there's a hard counter in DS3 to how dangerous groups of rats or peasants are!

Move backwards.

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004

Kild posted:

ok man enjoy your sick iframes with your full havels.

I'll try, I guess? Certainly seems a lot more fun than endless shitposting

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
way to entirely miss the point of why poise is brought up in the thread

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

NTT posted:

way to entirely miss the point of why poise is brought up in the thread

People being whiny babies?

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
poise works for me.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

At least the lack of poise explains why the dogs are one of the worst enemies in the game.

That and their ability to turn 90 degress in mid air.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

MysticalMachineGun posted:

At least the lack of poise explains why the dogs are one of the worst enemies in the game.

That and their ability to turn 90 degress in mid air.

i'd say their ability to teleport is the cherry on top, really

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004

Fereydun posted:

Yeah, what is up with that? I know the answer is :from: but I don't see how that made it past playtesting. It's not like Bloodborne had teleporting dogs and the engine can't be that far off.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Fereydun posted:

???

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc
Do people seriously rely on poise to chump some of the easiest enemies in the series? It's been 4 games of the same rats and dogs, get it together people.

Also where are the teleporting dogs?

Eldred posted:

It can be hard to catch but it seems like dogs teleport if they get stuck on something. https://www.twitch.tv/distortion2/v/60576693

Wow weird

Nancy fucked around with this message at 06:11 on May 26, 2016

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004

It can be hard to catch but it seems like dogs teleport if they get stuck on something. https://www.twitch.tv/distortion2/v/60576693

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

I enjoy playing this game in PvE and PvP, hosed up but true.

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.
The dogs teleport for any and all reasons including "you weren't looking at them" and also "you were looking at them" and they will gladly drop from the sky in front of you or on your head.

It's really super obvious and I don't know how anybody has played this game without noticing it.

Harvey Wallbanger
Aug 15, 2009
Hands up if u don't give a poo poo about poise and would rather be stunlocked by rats in the undead settlement (lol is this seriously happening to you?) than ever go back to DS2's dreary-rear end level design (dlc and a couple of maingame areas excepted)

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

The dogs teleport for any and all reasons including "you weren't looking at them" and also "you were looking at them" and they will gladly drop from the sky in front of you or on your head.

It's really super obvious and I don't know how anybody has played this game without noticing it.

I've never noticed it before now, but I usually focus on them and kill them asap.

Pwnstar posted:

I enjoy playing this game in PvE and PvP, hosed up but true.

I don't know man, I think this game is the worst game in the series, tied with DeS, DS1, DS2, and BB.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Eldred posted:

https://www.twitch.tv/distortion2/v/60577827

not just dogs lol

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

hard counter posted:

Yee it's a bit silly that 3 whole rats at once is more threatening than a giant enemy knight. I can see why they don't do poison/toxic/curse this time around.

To be fair a dumb minor enemy being the most deadly is par for the course in dark souls. I think i lost more health to a hollow with a torch then any black knight in dark souls 1.

Also gently caress those teleporting dogs, i tried running past them to the chapel bonfire and everytime i escaped them, they'd just blatently pop in and kill me. gotta stop and kill them every time.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

I've literally never had that happen before. Which sucks cause that's hilarious.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc
Dude says the game lagged "hardcore," did this happen when From rolled out the patch that froze the game every couple of minutes? I've never seen object or enemy weirdness outside of the time I tried to play when that was active.

Harvey Wallbanger
Aug 15, 2009
I don't think the teleporting dogs were a thing before like a week ago. I'm pretty sure it was the last patch that introduced that coolness.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Whenever I get around to another playthrough, even if I go for 32 Basic Good Greatshield strength I am going to feel like some kind of GOD sticking to faster weapons, after using a Raw Flamberge for everything past Vordt in my first run.

Except against skeletons, or other moments I desire a more hefty horizonal. I didn't use the Executioner's Greatsword even though I had it. But it never occurred to me to RUN from the million skeletons before the bridge until I was heading for round two with the boss. Because I just went hog wild scattering the top halves of skeletons eveywhere :black101:

Hell even if I wasn't using straight swords, I'd probably try to bring along a broken sword (1.0 weight) with me just for when I want to get a free stance art guard break on the PvE enemies vulnerable to that. (Oh how cute Havel blocked with his weapon for 0.75 seconds, idiot).

All that said? I can still appreciate the option to kill enemies with fewer swings in a larger arc. I'm sure Straight swords and axes have more Raw DPS and easier hit and run. But being able to carve my way through several Thralls at once or the like was always both satisfying and useful. Or having the longer reach to hit the bendy doll limbs of the Dancer and Consumed King between dodges.

I'm more annoyed that Normal Axes remain in that odd little niche of "They're pretty nice but why aren't you using a GREAT AXE then? Or a more efficient light weapon?", on top of them being bizarrely hard to come by.

What's that? You want a battle axe? Sure! It's in a mimic, already enchanted with Deep. Have fun blowing a Gem on it to make it buffable. Maybe the Bandit axe? We got all of ONE of those! How about that Man Serpent Hatchet all the way at loving Archdragon peak? Sure it only has the same scaling and damage of the Greataxe, but it has a barely functioning sickle effect!

And so on. Even the loving Hand Axe is a one per NG loot. Oh but you can get all the Thrall Axes you want! Quick Step and lowest damage of it's weapon category is what you are looking for in an Axe right?... But not the cool red hot ones from the Grand Archives, that would be silly.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Harvey Wallbanger posted:

I don't think the teleporting dogs were a thing before like a week ago. I'm pretty sure it was the last patch that introduced that coolness.

Buddy the video is from April 14th.

Harvey Wallbanger
Aug 15, 2009

Kild posted:

Buddy the video is from April 14th.

Oh. Weird, it never happened to me til I started my latest character like 5 days ago. Maybe thru some dark souls logic that means this character can finally get a fuckin darkmoon summon.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Don't push your luck son.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Harvey Wallbanger posted:

Hands up if u don't give a poo poo about poise and would rather be stunlocked by rats in the undead settlement (lol is this seriously happening to you?) than ever go back to DS2's dreary-rear end level design (dlc and a couple of maingame areas excepted)

Nope, DS2 actually had some really cool levels. Iron Keep is one of my favorite areas from any souls game, and Belfry Sol is an awesome arena / invasion area. And SOTFS version of the Dragon Shrine was excellent

And I wouldn't give a poo poo about poise if the game didn't pretend that weapon art poise was the same thing as armor poise. That just makes it obvious that From had DS1-style poise and then disabled it at the last second for some reason