Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Gyges posted:

I forget, do we know if his base full cowl has increased from 5% power since he figured it out?
I imagine Hori means it as the same amount of power each time, but since One For All technically gets a little stronger every passing second I'd think that 5% now is probably at least a teensy bit more powerful than it was when he first started using it.

I'm pretty sure he hasn't used beyond 5% full cowl regularly. Gran Torino lectures him on it afterwards- noticing that he had minorly injured himself with full cowl fighting Stain because he couldn't concentrate enough to only use 5%.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Piriwi
Feb 20, 2006
Regarding when All Might got his quirk. It's possible that his fight with All for One (when All Might was injured and AfO presumed dead) was years after his precessor was killed. And he might have received One for All even before that... because giving it away might not be lethal in general, but rather its the combination of All Mights injury plus losing his power that will kill him eventually. Maybe the previous owner simply wanted to retire to raise a kid...

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012

Serious Frolicking posted:

All Might inflating and shrinking doesn't really jive with anything else we know about 14a. Maybe All Might learned how to use it in some less than obvious ways?

it doesnt make sense, really. if being a wiry high school kid makes you an unsuitable vessel to wield more than 5% of one for all then missing half your organs should mean you're right out. instead all might just gets full usage but with a time limit. what does that mean? i've decided to just not think about it too deeply

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

Law Cheetah posted:

it doesnt make sense, really. if being a wiry high school kid makes you an unsuitable vessel to wield more than 5% of one for all then missing half your organs should mean you're right out. instead all might just gets full usage but with a time limit. what does that mean? i've decided to just not think about it too deeply

Yeah taking a scientific empirical approach to literal fiction sort of doesn't really help. It's not like this is real, it's all metaphor. All Might is a cool strong dude who is slowly dying, we see the physical manifestation of that... it's about his struggle to maintain the image of Symbol of Peace or whatever... When things get internally inconsistent it can be annoying, but since this is a manga, we see a lot of visual manifestations of what would be metaphor otherwise.

Some series/fiction seem to enjoy hanging their hat on 'technical' aspects of super powers a lot more..and are pretty good at spinning up a kind of internal calculus that readers can play along with. It seems like a lot of people get caught up on this stuff from time to time?

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
The SA forums as a whole lean toward stories with that sort of rigor. It is easy to get caught up in arguments about things happening arbitrarily without it. And clear rules are satisfying for the analytical nerd in us to pick apart.

I'm firmly of the opinion that MHA is largely character driven and not particularly concerned with the worldbuilding. To me that's acceptable because the characters are so good and the worldbuilding doesn't negatively effect the action. The great sin of something like Bleach is it sucks at both, and not even the action makes up for it.

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

Dr Subterfuge posted:

The SA forums as a whole lean toward stories with that sort of rigor. It is easy to get caught up in arguments about things happening arbitrarily without it. And clear rules are satisfying for the analytical nerd in us to pick apart.

I'm firmly of the opinion that MHA is largely character driven and not particularly concerned with the worldbuilding. To me that's acceptable because the characters are so good and the worldbuilding doesn't negatively effect the action. The great sin of something like Bleach is it sucks at both, and not even the action makes up for it.

Yeah, well, world building doesn't always have to equate to like a rigorous system of powers, and the spreadsheets and tables with predictive outcomes. One Piece is a great example of something that does world building but still is perfectly ok with being all over the place in the name of good honest fun.

BnHA definitely has a bit of a playful vibe with it too, and I personally find the thematic stuff way more powerful and interesting than technical theorycrafting of powers.. but that's not to say other people shouldn't be allowed to have their fun too!

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

Space-Bird posted:

Yeah, well, world building doesn't always have to equate to like a rigorous system of powers, and the spreadsheets and tables with predictive outcomes. One Piece is a great example of something that does world building but still is perfectly ok with being all over the place in the name of good honest fun.

BnHA definitely has a bit of a playful vibe with it too, and I personally find the thematic stuff way more powerful and interesting than technical theorycrafting of powers.. but that's not to say other people shouldn't be allowed to have their fun too!

I'm not trying to say that good worlbuilding equates to predictive spreadsheets, and I agree that One Piece is a good example of something that doesn't work that way. Though I do think it's a stretch to say it's all over the place. It uses cartoon logic, but it's pretty good about being consistent. I was just observing that goons tend to get annoyed about stuff like "bullshit powerups" or when, say, a quasi-magic computer that doesn't seem to have defined limits gets introduced in the webcomic Gunnerkrigg Court. That kind of thing only bothers me if there isn't anything else in the story to latch onto. MHA doesn't really sweat the details--and that includes the nitty gritty details of quirks and how precisely the word of MHA works--but that doesn't bother me because of the characters and, as you point out the themes. The rescue of Bakugou was badass as gently caress and that worked because of how good the characterization is.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Law Cheetah posted:

I assume it has something to do with his muscle form maybe he's usung some of the power to enhance his body's structural capacity and that's part of why all might is unable to use quite as much power as he used to in addition to the missing organs.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I chalk it up to anime. And superpowers. And quirks. And I enjoy fiction.

All of those things.

Jintor
May 19, 2014

So the original One for All quirk... the replication quirk... was it a replicative quirk or a literal pass quirk? Like, did it give a copy of itself (but stronger) to the next recipient, or is it literally slowly transferring from All Might to Deku?

The way Deku saw it during the Sports Festival, I was thinking it was kinda like the Speed Force or something, where you just get access to the 'gateway' that lets you tap into it. But maybe that was more a visual metaphor?

As above: it's just fun to banter about this stuff. I don't take it too seriously, but it's nice to see what other people think.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

Jintor posted:

So the original One for All quirk... the replication quirk... was it a replicative quirk or a literal pass quirk? Like, did it give a copy of itself (but stronger) to the next recipient, or is it literally slowly transferring from All Might to Deku?

The way Deku saw it during the Sports Festival, I was thinking it was kinda like the Speed Force or something, where you just get access to the 'gateway' that lets you tap into it. But maybe that was more a visual metaphor?

As above: it's just fun to banter about this stuff. I don't take it too seriously, but it's nice to see what other people think.

The two quirks that fused to create One For All was a stockpile quirk and a quirk that had no effect other than it could be transferred to another person. Basically a permutation of the "give" portion of AfO's "give and take"

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Two easily understood quirks merged and became something new and less easily understood. 14a is made out of ghosts including all might's ghost despite the fact that he is not dead yet. Just what that means is still unclear.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

it's all might's imprint. boom

Jintor
May 19, 2014

Serious Frolicking posted:

Two easily understood quirks merged and became something new and less easily understood. 14a is made out of ghosts including all might's ghost despite the fact that he is not dead yet. Just what that means is still unclear.

yo man i wonder if there's quirks that only activate when the user is straight up dead

ASIC v Danny Bro
May 1, 2012

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
CAPTAIN KILL

Just HEAPS of dead Palestinnos for brekkie, mate!
Spoilers/raws are out.

Jesus loving christ :stare:

LightningKimba
Nov 5, 2010

Unleashing my best...

LUMINARY UPPERCUT!!

Jintor posted:

yo man i wonder if there's quirks that only activate when the user is straight up dead

It's Jojo's Notorious BIG all over again.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

So All for One is All Might's Nobody right?

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

RareAcumen posted:

So All for One is All Might's Nobody right?

wow keep it to spoiler tags!!! :mad:

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

ASIC v Danny Bro posted:

Spoilers/raws are out.

Well, that is... Intense.

Also I was right, Nana was Shigaraki's grandmother, not mother, apparently. That makes the timeline a bit less weird/cramped, I think.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Aurora posted:

it's all might's imprint. boom

when all might dies i want his imprint to do something like this with deku at some point

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

ASIC v Danny Bro posted:

Spoilers/raws are out.

linku?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

>Todoroki contacts Deku and tells him that he and Momo safely escaped and are waiting at the station
>Bakugou says that this was the best solution and that he wasn't saved by them
>Deku: "Now all that's left to worry about is All Might."
>The previous female OFA user, Nana Shimura, is firmly in All Might's reminiscence and he gets angry when her name is mentioned
>AFO throws All Might into the sky and beats into him, telling him that Nana was a woman without the ability to defeat him
>Gran Torino catches All Might in the sky and a news helicopter is broadcasting everything
>People all over the country are watching this situation right now
>AFO says he hates All Might and wants to celebrate his death
>All Might is now deflated, but still standing firm as the Symbol of Peace
>AFO mocks All Might in the state he is now and reveals that Shigaraki is Nana Shimura's grandson
>AFO is still mocking the deflated All Might, but he recalls an old memory
>"Do not lose... All Might... please... help me..."
>The people watching the fight are screaming with tears in their eyes
>Deku and Bakugou are also screaming at All Might to win, with tears in their eyes
>All Might is now alone confronting AFO, with only his right arm in the muscle form.

lifted directly from /a/

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Here's some bad scans and what I assume is the previous One for All user.

http://ntx.wiki/wiki/%EB%82%98%EC%9D%98%20%ED%9E%88%EC%96%B4%EB%A1%9C%20%EC%95%84%EC%B9%B4%EB%8D%B0%EB%AF%B8%EC%95%84/92%ED%99%94

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
The only thing I'll say about the spoilers is that I think it's cool that All Might's "sire" was a woman. I doubt anyone was expecting that little detail. She also looks cool but I was sort of hoping for her to have All Might's art effect so to speak

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Chapter in Korean.

http://www.yuncomics.com/archives/1689475

I'm crying.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

If All Might doesn't die, I'll be astounded. There are too many death flags going on here.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Josuke Higashikata posted:

If All Might doesn't die, I'll be astounded. There are too many death flags going on here.

i'm almost certain he's going to take afo with him at this point

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Incredible.

raocow
Apr 23, 2007

Keen Dreams

Please give me a chance to be a better person. -Willhart
latest is up on mangastream

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Win, All Might!!!

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

So good.

HellishWhiskers
Mar 29, 2012

She was an awkward girl
I only believed in Anne from Management. Now, I also believe in All Might.

ElTipejoLoco
Feb 27, 2013

Let me fix your avisynth scripts! It'll only take me a couple horus.
Have a link, everyone who is a little lazier than the rest.

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012
h-he'll be okay, right guys? right? :ohdear:

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I'm glad All for One isn't the stereotypical "kill my own henchmen as a lazy was to show how evil I am" batman villain but he's still a big rear end in a top hat.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Radish posted:

I'm glad All for One isn't the stereotypical "kill my own henchmen as a lazy was to show how evil I am" batman villain but he's still a big rear end in a top hat.

I warned you! I warned all of you!

Why didn't you listen?!!

HellishWhiskers
Mar 29, 2012

She was an awkward girl

Vengarr posted:

I warned you! I warned all of you!

Why didn't you listen?!!

Better teacher than All Might, better dad than Endeavor, pretty cool guy overall aside from, you know, being a super evil jerk.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?
This chapter is so good and I'm so scared for what happens next. :ohdear:

Win All Might!

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Public Service Announcement: All Might loving rules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
Hooooly poo poo.