Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Augus posted:

I remember hearing that the GBA version has some pretty lovely coding though.

Oh no!!!!!!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

In Training posted:

Oh no!!!!!!!!

Well if you've got two versions of the same game, both of which are basically the same except one of them might randomly explode for no reason, which one are you gonna pick?

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
the gba version will not explode, i have tested this

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
The GBA version has a bug with the ATB that gives you way more turns than you're really supposed to so it turns an already easy game into something almost laughable. You can patch it though if you feel so inclined.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Nate RFB posted:

The GBA version has a bug with the ATB that gives you way more turns than you're really supposed to so it turns an already easy game into something almost laughable. You can patch it though if you feel so inclined.

Isn't this fixed in the European release?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
The PSP version is the GBA version with updated graphics, the DS version's music, and auto-battle anyway. Unless you're playing on an actual DS/GBA you might as well play the PSP version instead.

gigglefeimer
Mar 16, 2007
I prefer the PS FF4 port (Chronicles). It's as close to the original Japanese version as you can get.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Super Ninja Fish posted:

Definitely don't use an Augment FAQ as it will ruin the story. You don't need any of the augments.

I went through FF4 DS first without using any augments or a guide, and while I still had fun for most everything, the endgame bosses/encounters (mostly the encounters) really felt like they wanted you to have some augments if you didn't want to grind a bunch. I wouldn't say "don't use a guide" outright, and some general tips wouldn't hurt.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

gigglefeimer posted:

I prefer the PS FF4 port (Chronicles). It's as close to the original Japanese version as you can get.

I suggest you check out Legends of Localization if you're being serious. Some of the more notable lines were just made up by the writers.

gigglefeimer
Mar 16, 2007

Alxprit posted:

I suggest you check out Legends of Localization if you're being serious. Some of the more notable lines were just made up by the writers.

I meant more in terms of graphics and gameplay. Cool link, though.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Alxprit posted:

I honestly enjoy localizations where poo poo gets made up. For good games with decent stories, it can suck but if a game or anime is fluff trash with bad writing and they have the blessing of the original developer, I say go hog-wild.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

bloodychill posted:

I honestly enjoy localizations where poo poo gets made up. For good games with decent stories, it can suck but if a game or anime is fluff trash with bad writing and they have the blessing of the original developer, I say go hog-wild.

You must be a fan of the dub of Ghost Stories :v:

ijii
Mar 17, 2007
I'M APPARENTLY GAY AND MY POSTING SUCKS.
I finished up FF13-2 for the most part. I liked fighting Gilgamesh and was pleasantly surprised that they kept the music theme from way back in the FFV game. Aside from the wacky time travelling crap and QTEs, I liked the game.

I fired up FF: Lightning Returns for the first time. Combat seems pretty cool as always. Then I get to the first city. Time limits? :wtc: Are you loving kidding me? From what I read online, it's not that much of issue if I farm enemies to keep using Chronostasis. I seriously hope it's not a huge thorn in the side, but wow that poo poo sucks overall.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

You don't need to grind. You'll easily have enough points to just keep it up. If you actually do use it a lot then you'll find yourself with nothing to do the last several days.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

ijii posted:

I finished up FF13-2 for the most part. I liked fighting Gilgamesh and was pleasantly surprised that they kept the music theme from way back in the FFV game. Aside from the wacky time travelling crap and QTEs, I liked the game.

I fired up FF: Lightning Returns for the first time. Combat seems pretty cool as always. Then I get to the first city. Time limits? :wtc: Are you loving kidding me? From what I read online, it's not that much of issue if I farm enemies to keep using Chronostasis. I seriously hope it's not a huge thorn in the side, but wow that poo poo sucks overall.

The time limit is extremely lax. It's basically not there and you can generally have days spare to do things.

And if you're on PC, just use cheat engine or something to give yourself infinite points or freeze the clock if it bugs you.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

ijii posted:

You don't need to worry about grinding, as long as you're always moving along you'll have more than enough time.

Get Innocuous!
Dec 6, 2011

come together

Alxprit posted:

From the iOS version:

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

bloodychill posted:

Most Funimation dubs?

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Get Innocuous! posted:

From the iOS version:

That font is so horrendous that I'm gonna assume it was chosen to distract the player from the typos.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

bloodychill posted:

Comedies especially really benefit from a loose translation, a lot of japanese humor makes no loving sense in english unless you have paragraphs of TN notes explaining the joke. A game like Kid Icarus Uprising is a good example, they let the localizers rewrite most of the script and make entirely new jokes that make sense in America.

Ted Woolsey actually did a bang-up job with FFVI and added a lot of personality to the story. And he wrote the opera lyrics to perfectly match the BGM.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

bloodychill posted:

it's a good thing none of the FF's have a decent story

well okay fine tactics is good

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

mandatory lesbian posted:

Tactics is like 2/3 good before it just becomes about demons, the characters are just strong enough to carry the entire thing.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

One weird thing about the FFX remaster is that the pre-rendered FMVs look worse than all the realtime stuff.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

mandatory lesbian posted:

FFV has a good story! It's a super simple saturday morning cartoon, and it doesn't try to be anything more than that.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

MonsieurChoc posted:

FFV has a good story! It's a super simple saturday morning cartoon, and it doesn't try to be anything more than that.

FFV's story is awful and the only reason it's remembered fondly is the GBA translation spicing it up.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Augus posted:

Comedies especially really benefit from a loose translation, a lot of japanese humor makes no loving sense in english unless you have paragraphs of TN notes explaining the joke. A game like Kid Icarus Uprising is a good example, they let the localizers rewrite most of the script and make entirely new jokes that make sense in America.

Ted Woolsey actually did a bang-up job with FFVI and added a lot of personality to the story. And he wrote the opera lyrics to perfectly match the BGM.

Agreed on both points. Comedies are where it works best. It also lets the translation team cut their teeth on writing original stuff that sees the light of day. Sometimes it ends up just as garbage as the original but I've seen a few that just had a really fun time with it. Liiiike Ghost Stories :dance: (someone called it)

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

FFV's story is awful and the only reason it's remembered fondly is the GBA translation spicing it up.

That's how it's written in the only version I care about and it's good, funny writing.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

ImpAtom posted:

How is it awful in any way? It serves it purpose well enough. There are no holes or problems with it.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Uh last I checked, Gilgamesh wasn't added into the GBA version, he was already there in the original

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

MonsieurChoc posted:

How is it awful in any way? It serves it purpose well enough. There are no holes or problems with it.

The first english translation on PS1 was just extremely boring

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I seriously don't remember a single thing about FFV's story other than a cross dressing pirate and one of your guys dies at some point

Mega64
May 23, 2008

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

The first english translation on PS1 was just extremely boring

Except when Faris is involved.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

I seriously don't remember a single thing about FFV's story other than a cross dressing pirate and one of your guys dies at some point

wow, spoilers??

Mega64
May 23, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

I wouldn't say awful so much as basic. The story's pretty much there, with more of a focus on character development than plot, though it also has some goofy stuff to lighten the mood and a few general plot hooks here and there. In general, the early FF's are all this way (except less goofy moments) and get by on a well-executed simple story and the pure absurdity of some of the situations (someone filled a tree with evil souls and the tree comes to life and becomes evil, you ride a space whale to the moon so your moon uncle can help you against a massive robot, saving some old guys let them stop you from getting killed by fake shoes so you get the real shoes you need to cross a swamp to rescue your airship that gets destroyed five seconds later).

Final Fantasy works best if you accept it for the batshit crazy fever dream that the series ends up being.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Sakurazuka posted:

I'm sorry, but Gilgamesh???

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eavDvH6SGbs

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Pureauthor posted:

I'm sorry, but Gilgamesh???

I remember the bit in FF8 better

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I've beaten every mainline FF (except V) and didn't notice Gilgamesh was in any of them

xezton
Jan 31, 2005

Get Innocuous! posted:

From the iOS version:

I've heard of load baron' walls, but load baron' Cecils?

:rimshot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene
Anyone getting Romancing SaGa 2 out on mobile platforms today?