Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

crowoutofcontext posted:

The article goes on to have some expert opinions on what was going on but it is stuff like this where sexual deviancy and mental illness/injury are blurred always haunt me. Having a personality change after getting your head smashed is one thing, but just having one area of your life radically change when your reasoning and consciousness are preserved is particularly hellish.

One of the formative things in my life was when a friend of mine got a massive haemorrhage in her brain around 18 years old midway through her first year at Uni. She had been a very party-girl giggly going to the clubs and shopping person with a rugby playing boyfriend. One day she felt woozy and strange in the local shopping mall and tried to get people to call emergency services (at this point she couldn't use her own phone due to the haemorrhage) but basically everyone thought she was on drugs.

Long story short, a golfball sized volume of her brain was just hosed and dead. Took her a year to recover and after that she was basically a quite quiet librarianish type with a totally different look and outlook. I actually only knew her after so it was real surreal to see photos and videos, and met friends who knew what she was like before. Might not be totally relevant to what you said but man did it drive home how the actual physical and chemical makeup of your brain IS what you are and you have very little control as to what happens, most of the time. That is unnerving to me.

NLJP has a new favorite as of 00:28 on May 25, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

And if you gaze long enough into a nest, the nest will gaze back into you.
A girl in my HS had a grand mal seizure the summer before senior year. She forgot who everyone was. She'd known most of these people since elementary school, and all of a sudden she was the new girl, except everyone knew her.

Spooky stuff.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

NLJP posted:

One of the formative things in my life was when a friend of mine got a massive haemorrhage in her brain around 18 years old midway through her first year at Uni. She had been a very party-girl giggly going to the clubs and shopping person with a rugby playing boyfriend. One day she felt woozy and strange in the local shopping mall and tried to get people to call emergency services (at this point she couldn't use her own phone due to the haemorrhage) but basically everyone thought she was on drugs.

Long story short, a golfball sized volume of her brain was just hosed and dead. Took her a year to recover and after that she was basically a quite quiet librarianish type with a totally different look and outlook. I actually only knew her after so it was real surreal to see photos and videos, and met friends who knew what she was like before. Might not be totally relevant to what you said but man did it drive home how the actual physical and chemical makeup of your brain IS what you are and you have very little control as to what happens, most of the time. That is unnerving to me.

Something similar happened to a friend of mine. From when I met him in middle school to when he went off to college, he was an extremely intelligent and bookish sort of guy. One summer, he fell off a roof he was reshingling and landed on his head. This marked his change to a complete dudebro who was barely tolerable to be around.

crowoutofcontext
Nov 12, 2006

Those stories are disturbing, but hopefully they were able to (re?)build some (new?) relationships with their loved ones.The fact that I can't even write about what they are going through without doing that annoying deconstructionist binary-breakage thing with words is testament to the fact that their experiences probably just can't be conceptualized or communicated by anyone but those who experience them.

It's strange that a lot of people become bookish or more analytical after these accidents, when you'd think they would become less able to control themselves, like the guy I posted about, who was urinaitng and trying to rape everyone in sight by the end. My gut feeling is brain loss would never allow you to gain abilities or traits, but in a lot of cases it does.

There is the story of this buff mullet-bro who spent his time getting laid, driving fast cars and working out until he was 31 and got his head kicked in during a fight outside a karaoke bar:

And woke up as an introverted mathematical genius with OCD that literally sees fractals and patterns everywhere and spends his time studying advanced physics and geometry. He and his wife seem to see his head-smashing as a sort of blessing:

Apparently since other parts of the brain take over functions when brain matter is damaged it sometimes unlocks abilities.

Although the title is a bit cloying I'm interested in checking out the David Lynch produced documentary "My Beautiful Broken Brain"which is about exactly what y'all have described- a girl gets a hemorrhage, loses a chunk of brain and wakes up a very different person. She also seems to have additional elements in her field of visions, experiences color and movement differently. She ways its like being in a surrealist film, so I guess her story belongs in this thread.

FAKE EDIT:

Nth Doctor posted:

Something similar happened to a friend of mine. From when I met him in middle school to when he went off to college, he was an extremely intelligent and bookish sort of guy. One summer, he fell off a roof he was reshingling and landed on his head. This marked his change to a complete dudebro who was barely tolerable to be around.

That sucks, guess it works both ways. But I'm sure his dudebro friends like the 2.0 version better.

crowoutofcontext has a new favorite as of 01:59 on May 25, 2016

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011

Westie posted:

I google image search'd Underwood's name - let's just say the links I ended up clicking on have scarred me for life - Shirley Lynette Ledford.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PY4YmVi4_LQ&t=1214s

quote:

The most damning evidence presented at Bittaker's trial was a 17-minute section of the audio tape the pair had created of Shirley Lynette Ledford's abuse and torment. The audio tape, which had been found inside Bittaker's van and which Norris had earlier testified Bittaker had repeatedly played as he drove in the weeks prior to his arrest—adding that Bittaker considered the contents to be "real funny"— was presented in evidence on January 29. (Judge Fredericks had earlier denied motions by the defense to omit the tape recording from admission as evidence.)

More than 100 people were present in the courtroom as the tape was played, and many members of both the jury and the audience wept openly upon hearing the contents, with several members of the audience either burying their heads in their hands, daubing tears from their eyes or rushing out of the courtroom before the tape had finished. Bittaker himself was undisturbed at hearing the contents of the tape—smiling throughout the hearing of the recording.

In one of two instances throughout the trial when he was himself reduced to tears, prosecutor Stephen Kay walked out of the courtroom during the recess following the hearing of the recording of Shirley Ledford's rape, abuse and torture. Weeping openly, Kay stated to the reporters gathered outside the courtroom: "Everybody who has heard that tape has had it affect their lives. I just picture those girls ... how alone they were when they died."

edit: fyi, the tape isn't fully played in the video, though you can hear a tiny bit of it when the jurors flee the courtroom.

FourLeaf has a new favorite as of 02:53 on May 25, 2016

life is a joke
Mar 7, 2016

NLJP posted:

I'm not doubting that this can happen, but I've had friends come out of serious medical situations (unrelated to the brain) emerge as almost completely different people. The stress, constant reminders about death, financial burden, guilt for "causing" close family members such anguish, and all that have a sort of PTSD effect on people. The situations I'm thinking of involve work friends, and they got really shy after and almost seemed ashamed or embarrassed to have been through an open secret health scare. Again I'm not saying that there coudn't be some psychological phenomenon at play, but being withdrawn after trauma and having a different outlook on life don't require a dead piece of brain IMO.

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

I'm pretty sure that Dean Corll has been mentioned in this thread before, but I only just thoroughly read about him.

quote:

Police also found a plywood torture board measuring 8 by 3 feet (2.44 by 0.91 m) with handcuffs in each corner. Also found at Corll's address were a large hunting knife, rolls of clear plastic of the same type used to cover the floor, a portable radio rigged to a pair of dry cells to give increased volume,[86] an electric motor with loose wires attached,[87] eight pairs of handcuffs, a number of dildos, thin glass tubes and lengths of rope.

There is nothing worse when you're torturing someone than having their screams of despair drown out your tunes.

quote:

All of the victims found had been sodomized and most victims found bore evidence of sexual torture: pubic hairs had been plucked out, genitals had been chewed, objects had been inserted into their rectums, and glass rods had been shoved into their urethrae and smashed.

:gonk:

quote:

The macabre record of number of known victims attributed to a single murder case set by the Houston Mass Murders was only surpassed in 1978 by John Wayne Gacy, who murdered 33 boys and young men and who admitted to being influenced by Corll and his accomplices.

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop

The Endbringer posted:

I'm pretty sure that Dean Corll has been mentioned in this thread before, but I only just thoroughly read about him.

There is nothing worse when you're torturing someone than having their screams of despair drown out your tunes.

If you want something really :gonk: and :nms: then look up the crime scene photos.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The Endbringer posted:

And Corll almost certainly had more victims, according to his accomplices, the police just stopped looking once they broke the then-current record.

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

GIANT OUIJA BOARD posted:

If you want something really :gonk: and :nms: then look up the crime scene photos.

Indeed I have, but what is the most :nms: to me personally is the idea that someone you know, or even be friends with, could lead you into a living hell:

quote:

Corll and Brooks encountered a 17-year-old acquaintance of Brooks named Ruben Watson Haney walking home from a movie theater in Houston. Brooks persuaded Haney to attend a party at an address Corll had moved to on San Felipe Street the previous month.[44] Haney agreed and was taken to Corll's home where he was subsequently strangled and buried in the boat shed.

quote:

[Henley] assisted Corll and Brooks in the abduction of another youth; a 17-year-old friend of his named Mark Scott. Scott was grabbed by force and fought furiously against attempts by Corll to secure him to the torture board, even attempting to stab his attackers with a knife. However, Scott saw Henley pointing a pistol toward him and, according to Brooks, Mark "just gave up." Scott was tied to the torture board and suffered the same fate as Aguirre: rape; torture; strangulation and burial at High Island Beach.

EDIT: Plus the fact that Brooks and Henley were paid to lure these young men to Corll, yet assisted him in the murders. All kinds of hosed up right here.

The Mighty Moltres has a new favorite as of 12:43 on May 25, 2016

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

The Endbringer posted:

It's worth listening to the final part of Last Podcast on the Lefts series about Corll just to hear about the shitshow that was the investigation

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Literally The Worst posted:

It's worth listening to the final part of Last Podcast on the Lefts series about Corll just to hear about the shitshow that was the investigation

There's a book called The Candyman, written when the case was still fresh, that goes into the lovely police work, as well.

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

life is a joke posted:

I'm not doubting that this can happen, but I've had friends come out of serious medical situations (unrelated to the brain) emerge as almost completely different people. The stress, constant reminders about death, financial burden, guilt for "causing" close family members such anguish, and all that have a sort of PTSD effect on people. The situations I'm thinking of involve work friends, and they got really shy after and almost seemed ashamed or embarrassed to have been through an open secret health scare. Again I'm not saying that there coudn't be some psychological phenomenon at play, but being withdrawn after trauma and having a different outlook on life don't require a dead piece of brain IMO.

There can definitely be a PTSD-type effect, but at least you can rationalize that as "well they had an event that changed them" but they're still the same person. The scary part is that you can have physical brain trauma and end up a totally different person. Your physical body will be the same but pretty much every trace of the person you think of as you will be gone.

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012
Glass rods in the urethra was a favoured trick of the Gestapo and KGB.

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

IT'S LEGO, not Legos. Heh

Madkal posted:

The two teams, Orlando Pirates and Kaiser Chiefs, are both based in Soweto and both have extreme

You'd think they would have been able to predict a riot

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

I MAKE BAD POSTING DECISIONS

Tiny Lowtax posted:

You'd think they would have been able to predict a riot

:drat: :perfect:

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

subpar anachronism posted:

I knew this guy from another site and we ran in a lot of the same social circles. He always seemed perfectly nice, which makes me wonder how many other people can be hiding a secret like that. That poor little girl.

My brush with creepiness was finding out that an obnoxious guy on a friend's mailing list I was part of circa 2003 has been Perverted Justice's #1 Most Slimy bust for several years running. On that particular list he was famous for insisting he was "a Marine, not a soldier; there is a difference". Clearly he served in the Cola Wars.

Sarcopenia posted:

Criminal Twins

While not creepy, I always kind of liked the Han Twins attempted murder for being a Korean version of a white trash tale straight out of Maury. Despite carpet-bombing every talk show she could get on before the trial, the almost-murdered twin disappeared off the radar immediately afterward.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Madkal posted:

For a few posts people were talking about sport arena disasters and it reminded me of one that happened in my neck of the woods about 15 years ago. I'm talking about the Ellis Park disaster in Johannesburg, South Africa.
Basically 2 of the biggest football teams were facing off against each other. The two teams, Orlando Pirates and Kaiser Chiefs, are both based in Soweto and both have extreme passionate followings, so whenever they play against each other it is quite the event. Usually the games are peaceful and without violence. So when the game was being played at Chiefs homeground there was an expected huge crowd. The place was already at capacity with 60,000 spectators but many say that the crowd inside was far far above capicity. There were many more outside the ground trying to get in. The estimate has been at around another 60,00 outside the ground. After Pirates scored from the penalty spot the crowd inside the ground became loud, and many outside wanted to find out what happened. This lead to a stampede trying to get into the arena. As has been stated with past posts, this never ends well. Added to it is that there were reports that untrained security staff tried to turn people away by firing tear gas into the crowds leading to panic and confusion that added to the stampede.
In the end, 43 people lost their lives, the youngest being 11 years old. There were many injured as well.

:nms: Here is a news report about it, but be warned that there are scenes of dead people on the ground.:nms:

Well, at least it wasn't the Football War?

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone

life is a joke posted:

I thought the same thing when I read that.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

The Endbringer posted:

What was the purpose of the electric motor?

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

Where you want it, bitch.
College Slice

BattleMaster posted:

What was the purpose of the electric motor?

It undoubtedly had to do with mutilating genitals. The man seemed to have a knack for that. I'm thinking he probably got the motor spinning and then got the scrote to wrap around the motor shaft. Sort of like when you accidentally get a sock or something wrapped around your vaccuum brush. Only with ball sack flesh instead of a sock. And a crude electric torture motor instead of a vaccuum.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
It had two cables so think simpler. Think 'high voltage shocks'. Think 'gegene'.

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!

life is a joke posted:

True. It can even be a little of both. I definitely don't feel like I'm the same person I was before the encephalitis.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Grumbletron 4000 posted:

It undoubtedly had to do with mutilating genitals. The man seemed to have a knack for that. I'm thinking he probably got the motor spinning and then got the scrote to wrap around the motor shaft. Sort of like when you accidentally get a sock or something wrapped around your vaccuum brush. Only with ball sack flesh instead of a sock. And a crude electric torture motor instead of a vaccuum.

Dude wtf

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Grumbletron 4000 posted:

I think I'm more unnerved that you came up with that poo poo than I would be by finding out Corll did it.

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

Grumbletron 4000 posted:

:yikes:

the yikes emoticon

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Man sure is a slow work day. Starting to get those 3°clock yawns. I wonder what the most efficient way for a serial killer to grind off a child's scrotum is?

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
Dec 28, 2007

Kiss this and hang

Not to derail this charming line of discussion, but there has been a development on one of the missing hikers we were talking about during the "gently caress the woods" portion of this thread.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...alachian-trail/

“When you find my body, please call my husband George and my daughter Kerry,” she wrote in the note, dated Aug. 6, 2013. “It will be the greatest kindness for them to know that I am dead and where you found me — no matter how many years from now.” :smith:

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

and breaking news just as I was reading that article: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/to-your-health/wp/2016/05/26/the-superbug-that-doctors-have-been-dreading-just-reached-the-u-s/

bye humanity, it's been a... a time

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I'm sure there's some stuff that's made it through testing. We've had a good 20 years to prepare for this.

...just like global warming.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang posted:

Not to derail this charming line of discussion, but there has been a development on one of the missing hikers we were talking about during the "gently caress the woods" portion of this thread.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...alachian-trail/

“When you find my body, please call my husband George and my daughter Kerry,” she wrote in the note, dated Aug. 6, 2013. “It will be the greatest kindness for them to know that I am dead and where you found me — no matter how many years from now.” :smith:

This is why when the one dummy in Blair Witch Project said something to the effect of "There are no areas of wilderness in the United States big enough to get lost in anymore" I instantly wanted them all to die horribly.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/s...t-a7048046.html

quote:

They found it contained an extremely rare type of genome sequence, known as U5b2c1, which is almost unknown among modern populations. The research has now been published in the scientific journal Plos One.
However, the U5b2c1 sequence has not been found in modern Lebanon. Just one person - in Portugal - has been found to carry exactly the same genome.

This freaks me out. loving Phoenicians can just roanoke the gently caress out of history. Where the hell did they go, and who the gently caress were they?

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

Wedemeyer posted:

This freaks me out. loving Phoenicians can just roanoke the gently caress out of history. Where the hell did they go, and who the gently caress were they?

I'm not very good at genetics and such. Is this some random string of DNA? What does it mean? Ty

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

If you have a sample sequenced you can use that to look at other sequences you already have to see if there are any matches. This site has a cool map and probably some good information on what it means and how it works etc.
https://genographic.nationalgeographic.com/human-journey/

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

Where you want it, bitch.
College Slice

I didn't mean to go to quite that dark of a place. We are talking about Dean Corrl here though. I was imagining what one of the sickest most horrible fucks to ever live would use something like that for. I suppose I may have outshined the man and deep down in one of the most horrible corners of hell theres a devil winding his balls around the shaft of an old electric motor while he wonders why he never thought to do that to his victims.

wyntyr
Mar 27, 2006
We are all goons gazing into the abyss here. It's no wonder that occasionally the abyss gazes back.

Degenerate Star
Oct 27, 2005
unlikely
One of the worst things about this guy is that afterwards they found a picture of a scared teenage boy chained to his toolbox. Nobody knew who the kid was, not even Corll's accomplice, and he was never identified.

The last evidence of this kid's life was a photo taken by the man who was going to torture and kill him.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Stoca Zola posted:

If you have a sample sequenced you can use that to look at other sequences you already have to see if there are any matches. This site has a cool map and probably some good information on what it means and how it works etc.
https://genographic.nationalgeographic.com/human-journey/

This is incredibly cool. Thanks for posting it.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Wedemeyer posted:

I imagine it's because not many people have had their genome sequenced yet out of the 7 billion possible. I did it and it cost me $200. Some of it might be because Rome genocided a bunch of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

If someone can tell me why this doesn't spell extinction for our species I would really REALLY appreciate it.