Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

treiz01
Jan 2, 2008

There is little that makes me happier than taking drugs. Perhaps administering them, designing and carrying out experiments that bend the plane of what we consider reality.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I love that instead of going for the obvious route of "Just get a laptop" which would have comfortably solved all those issues his solution is to build a giant bulky chair that'll take up half the loungeroom and features a screen with minimal positioning options and is smaller than a laptop screen.

Just get a laptop.

Yeah dude, if I want to play a game on the couch, I can just grab my macbook and controller while my gaming rig does the heavy lifting!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Cockmaster posted:

HoverBars – Handles for your Hoverboard

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/hoverbars/hoverbars?ref=category

Sure, in a manner which:

a. Makes them way less portable

b. Does fuckall to address the main safety issue with these things (that is, the lithium ion batteries made in the Chinese tradition of "quality control is for losers")

How do you have HoverBars for a Hoverboard and neither the bars nor the board are hovering!? :argh:

Hahahahahahaha

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Those explody "hoverboards" poors love so much will probably result in another retarded ban on shipping electronics.

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

"As hoverboards flooded the consumer marketplace we recognized what most buyers did, achieving balance wasn't as easy for some as it was for others. Enter, HoverBars. This unique patent-pending product makes the experience of riding a hoverboard fun and easy for kids and adults."

has any of those devices actually been been referred to as "hoverboards"? I thought the generic term was balance boards or something like that. lol

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

nope, they're definitely commonly called hoverboards.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

They missed the opportunity to call them HoverHands :haw:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
There was also the Hendo Hoverboard which raised over half a million on Kickstarter last year and which actually hovers, but to get an actual working board you had to pledge $10,000 and they were only giving out 11 of those. They mention in the KS campaign description that the board will only work on a surface substrate made of sheets of non-ferromagnetic conductor (eg: copper) but what they didn't mention is that so far the only place that has a skate ramp clad in copper sheets is in their own warehouse in Los Gatos, California.
They've got plans to make Hendo skate parks in the future and they even had a $59 pledge tier where the reward was that they'd inscribe your name onto some park of the hoverpark but who knows if that will ever happen.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Waffleman_ posted:

You're making a loving Segway.

It's just a Segway.
Even worse, they're making a chinese explode-o-matic segway which somehow pulls off the amazing feat of looking even dorkier than the actual segway.

It looks like a retarded walking aid.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
I'm sure any copper-plated skatepark would be stripped bare in minutes.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

nawcom posted:

has any of those devices actually been been referred to as "hoverboards"? I thought the generic term was balance boards or something like that. lol

Yeah there was a whole fleet of non-hovering "hoverboards" that came out in the last couple years, I thought it was real dumb. But that's the point? They're trying to use the fake cool name of hovering to sell something that is most assuredly not cool.

There was also the Hendo Hoverboard which raised over half a million on Kickstarter last year and which actually hovers, but to get an actual working board you had to pledge $10,000 and they were only giving out 11 of those. They mention in the KS campaign description that the board will only work on a surface substrate made of sheets of non-ferromagnetic conductor (eg: copper) but what they didn't mention is that so far the only place that has a skate ramp clad in copper sheets is in their own warehouse in Los Gatos, California.
They've got plans to make Hendo skate parks in the future and they even had a $59 pledge tier where the reward was that they'd inscribe your name onto some park of the hoverpark but who knows if that will ever happen.

Yeah there's this and there's one other one too that somebody made which actually hovers, but it has to be cooled by liquid nitrogen constantly so you can't use it for more than like 5 minutes tops at a time and it costs a fortune just to use it.

Unlike the Hendo one I don't think you had to use copper, which was nice, but you did still have to use some kind of metal that would respond to magnetic forces, so no concrete.

Moacher
Oct 10, 2007

In a few moments my neighbor is going to exit this building's ground floor, out onto the sidewalk. According to my math, from this height, I can kill him by pissing on him.
The Hendo works on aluminum as well as copper, but yeah, somewhat limiting in scope to say the least.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
The hendo is like super futuristic cool tech and yet it looks completely boring and dorky.
It doesn't look like you'd get interesting sensations.

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah there was a whole fleet of non-hovering "hoverboards" that came out in the last couple years, I thought it was real dumb. But that's the point? They're trying to use the fake cool name of hovering to sell something that is most assuredly not cool.

I've often wondered how the name "hoverboard" first got attached to a cheap Segway-scooter hybrid.

quote:

Yeah there's this and there's one other one too that somebody made which actually hovers, but it has to be cooled by liquid nitrogen constantly so you can't use it for more than like 5 minutes tops at a time and it costs a fortune just to use it.

Unlike the Hendo one I don't think you had to use copper, which was nice, but you did still have to use some kind of metal that would respond to magnetic forces, so no concrete.

There's also this one which uses dozens of little ducted fans, letting it operate like the hoverboards from "Back to the Future" (much more so than anything previously called a hoverboard, at least):

http://www.arcaspace.com/en/arcaboard.htm

http://www.gizmag.com/arcaboard-hoverboard-arca-aerospace/41063/

...for about six minutes until the battery runs down. Oh, and it weighs about 180 pounds, so you'd better be near an outlet when that happens. Then you get to wait six hours to recharge the battery, unless you bought the $4500 quick-charger. Plus the board itself costs almost twice as much as the Hendo.

Cockmaster has a new favorite as of 02:34 on May 25, 2016

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Cockmaster posted:

I've often wondered how the name "hoverboard" first got attached to a cheap Segway-scooter hybrid.

No big mystery, they first started getting popular in the run up to Christmas 2014 and lots of people were talking about Back To The Future 2, with 2015 coming up.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.

Zaphod42 posted:

Not sure it was copper, but it was definitely confined to a rail placed just under the skate surface, if I'm thinking of the same one that required liquid nitrogen. We'll never hit the future at this rate :(

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
'Balance Board' sounds like some gimmicky excerise thing you'd buy off the TV anyway, Hoverboard sounds futurisic and cool.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/meet-the-pilot-smart-earpiece-language-translator--2#/

Almost 1.3 million in flexible funding already. :ughh:

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YngbHOz--oc

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/quickstix/quickstix-chopsticks-of-the-gods-with-insane-grip?ref=category_newest

this is just pitiful but for once a bad idea might not make it over the line, even if it has a slick pitch

E: they are chopsticks for people who don't know how to use chopsticks but who are prepared to pay $19 for a pair and wait 10 months instead of figuring the things out like a normal human

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

A bluetooth headset with a high-gain mic and proprietary software that probably just uses Google Translate APIs or something. Nice.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Saint Isaias Boner posted:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/quickstix/quickstix-chopsticks-of-the-gods-with-insane-grip?ref=category_newest

this is just pitiful but for once a bad idea might not make it over the line, even if it has a slick pitch

E: they are chopsticks for people who don't know how to use chopsticks but who are prepared to pay $19 for a pair and wait 10 months instead of figuring the things out like a normal human

Why are they so short though? They've copied the design of disposable chopsticks and ignored normal Chinese restaurant style, and don't even look as swish as some Maxims chopsticks.

"Smart" chopsticks.

Porsche chopsticks, only € 75

MrMoo has a new favorite as of 02:49 on May 26, 2016

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.

Saint Isaias Boner posted:

The food demonstrations further down are As Seen on TV quality.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Gann Jerrod posted:

I like how they made the plain chopsticks one extra round while theirs is pretty flat.

Munchables
Feb 8, 2015

Ask/tell me about legal cannibalism

Aren't there already chopsticks made for kids that are connected by plastic animals at the top?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Gann Jerrod posted:

Using a fork would be way less embarrassing

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

Gann Jerrod posted:

haha what a load of poo poo

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Using a fork would be way less embarrassing

And it's also hilarious because sushi is really more of a finger food. That's why they give you a wet towel, it's to clean your hands before and after you eat.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

Munchables posted:

Aren't there already chopsticks made for kids that are connected by plastic animals at the top?

Yes, there are.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

Young Freud posted:

And it's also hilarious because sushi is really more of a finger food. That's why they give you a wet towel, it's to clean your hands before and after you eat.

This is seriously the best way to eat sushi.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Also chopsticks are loving easy to begin with.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

kirbysuperstar posted:

A bluetooth headset with a high-gain mic and proprietary software that probably just uses Google Translate APIs or something. Nice.

It's probably got lovely battery life, super awkward lag, extra unreliable speech detection in anything but optimal studio conditions and so on

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Munchables posted:

I've even seen people make kid-friendly ones out of the disposible kind with a rubberband and wadded up napkin or cardboard.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

unpacked robinhood posted:

It's probably got lovely battery life, super awkward lag, extra unreliable speech detection in anything but optimal studio conditions and so on

They kind of bury the lede but it doesn't just work from someone talking a foreign language at you, they also have to be using some part of the device.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Munchables posted:

Yeah, there are plastic kids / trainer chopsticks with similar gripping notches.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
brb, gotta finish my Training Wheels StabiWheels kickstarter. A hot new innovation that revolutionizes cycling.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Can you instead make spike-accessories for your bicycle wheels so you can destroy the wheels of your competitors?

wit
Jul 26, 2011

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Yeah, there are plastic kids / trainer chopsticks with similar gripping notches.

You don't understand man, they're made from advanced engineering material!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwdxIUeMrSM&t=152s

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Gann Jerrod posted:

I was gonna post exactly this. That's some "white people can't do basic poo poo" infomercial action right there.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

I, for one, am glad to see the outdated technology of two sticks working kind of like extended fingers being replaced by the hyper-modern technology of two sticks working kind of like extended fingers with thimbles at the end.

…also, wouldn't hexagonal gripping part and round end make them more prone to suddenly spin around and send the food flying compared to the smooth gripping part with a solid square end (or just more uniformly square shape)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
No one wants to put anything ribbed into their mouths