Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

The dogs teleport for any and all reasons including "you weren't looking at them" and also "you were looking at them" and they will gladly drop from the sky in front of you or on your head.

It's really super obvious and I don't know how anybody has played this game without noticing it.

the other great thing is that their entire model seems to become a hitbox when they attack, and there's not a greatly obvious tell for when they're switching from "running around through non-euclidean geometry because reasons" to "i am biting your butt now". there's the sound clip for their bark that plays, but after the first lunge it seems like the barking gets entirely divorced from what the model is actively doing, so the barking becomes a random, disembodied noise, and the model is just spazzing out and clipping through solid geometry and teleporting through space, and if you touch it or the game thinks you got within 20 feet of touching it you take heavy damage.

also if you hit the dog hard enough to kill it in one blow it drops dead at your feet, but if you only deal enough damage to wound it, the thing flies backward a good quarter mile and then recovers back on its feet before you can catch up to try and stab it again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harvey Wallbanger
Aug 15, 2009
While it is true that the dogs are like the worst enemy, if you punch them in the face with the pyro glove they drop and writhe around on the ground for like 20 seconds. It's tough to time but holy hell is it satisfying when it works.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
so for a general Battle Pyro build what's the idea? i was thinking crank int/faith and then infuse a weapon i have minimum stats for, but i haven't thrown fireballs since DS1 and this whole 'pyro has scaling' thing is weird.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Harvey Wallbanger posted:

While it is true that the dogs are like the worst enemy

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Dogs are the Black Gulch statues of DS3

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Pwnstar posted:

I enjoy playing this game in PvE and PvP, hosed up but true.

:agreed:

but I think it's a fair talking point to discuss From's decisions. It's just a tiny bit frustrating that they can't take a step forward in the series w/o taking one back for some reason. Of course their baseline for quality is quite high anyway so it's all still fun in some way or another at the end of the day.

Stranger Danger Ranger
Jul 21, 2007
There are lizards coming out of my tv.
So they fixed the twinblades egular attacks but it looks like they forgot to tweak the weapon arts too, spin slash does less damage than the l1, l1 combo. A fair bit less actually, like 400 something vs 600 something on the same enemy.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I've never seen a dog teleport actually, but that doesn't stop them from being awful for plenty of other reasons. They are basically the only enemy I ever find myself thinking "boy I wish I had a shield" when I fight them.

Luckily their damage is usually awful, but the Irthyll dogs are savage killers I've died an embarrassing number of times too.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

The Demon Greataxe is pretty drat good, I never messed with it before because the stats didn't look great and all the other greataxes are really good anyway but I made a str/fai build to mess around with and the DG is serving me well. The L2 is fantastic in pvp because it has a ridiculous splash damage range including pretty far behind you. With 30 str and Sacred Oath the L2 hits opponents for ~450 damage which puts me at a pretty big advantage in an honor duel, not so much if they're healing. I'm wrecking people at lvl 80, I just hope it's still effective at 120.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

my grievances with ds3 mostly boil down to poise being weird and the way the map's laid out not really allowing for cool diversity in builds by putting npcs in various directions, but overall i definitely like it more than ds2 if only because the gameworld and lore is much better

the dlc should be pretty good, i assume

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

poise works for me.

same but then again I never get hit in the first place so it doesn''t come up much

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Despite people complaining about how PvP works, I feel like asymmetric pvp invasions have never been better.

It's effortless, fun and the matchmaking actually puts you against people of the same level. Love knocking people off with my Dragonslayer Bow in the Catacombs.

Stranger Danger Ranger
Jul 21, 2007
There are lizards coming out of my tv.
I just noticed you can press r3 twice in the menu to close a window so you can see your character. Now I can see how poo poo looks without having to exit/open the menu constantly! I have quadrupled my fashion souls efficiency.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Jaaam posted:

I just noticed you can press r3 twice in the menu to close a window so you can see your character. Now I can see how poo poo looks without having to exit/open the menu constantly! I have quadrupled my fashion souls efficiency.

Yeah, it's useful since you can just skim through your entire inventory for matching pieces

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe

WaltherFeng posted:

Despite people complaining about how PvP works, I feel like asymmetric pvp invasions have never been better.

It's effortless, fun and the matchmaking actually puts you against people of the same level. Love knocking people off with my Dragonslayer Bow in the Catacombs.

gripes aside I think I've had more fun pvping in this game than the others.

My favorite moments are when you and another invader kill off a hosts 2 summons and you chase him down and murder him while he desperately tries to summon others

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Excuse me while I kiss the sky.
Finished my first run through of the game, and while I really enjoyed it, I got a bit burned out around 3/4 into it. It's a great game but Bloodborne PvE is another level and the best of the lot, sorry PC people.

I think it suffers too much from over-familiarity, there is nothing that really surprised me having played DS1 & 2 and it's a shame FROM played it a bit too safe, but I guess that's understandable given the backlash DS2 got.
I enjoyed fighting Dancer and Champion the most, didn't enjoy Twin Princes and Nameless King that much.
Still, lets see what the DLC brings eh?

Is there a check-list of stuff to do before NG+? Should I keep my save in NG for the DLC?

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

MZ posted:

Finished my first run through of the game, and while I really enjoyed it, I got a bit burned out around 3/4 into it. It's a great game but Bloodborne PvE is another level and the best of the lot, sorry PC people.

I think it suffers too much from over-familiarity, there is nothing that really surprised me having played DS1 & 2 and it's a shame FROM played it a bit too safe, but I guess that's understandable given the backlash DS2 got.
I enjoyed fighting Dancer and Champion the most, didn't enjoy Twin Princes and Nameless King that much.
Still, lets see what the DLC brings eh?

Is there a check-list of stuff to do before NG+? Should I keep my save in NG for the DLC?

DLC won't come out until August. I'd recommend just starting a new character for the dlc. Get them up to sl60 or so. If they need more you can finish more of the vanilla game. But this way they have some room to grow and maybe make use of specific weapons in the dlc.

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009
I'm glad poise doesn't work like DS1 for PVP because it would be stupid and annoying to deal with. And it wouldn't make sense for it to work like DS2 because we already have hyper armor.

I would like it to work for PVE though. It's weird that they can't just turn it on for that and not PVP. They already have some mechanics work differently for PVP and PVE. For instance, the ring of Steel Protection increases your defenses by 10% in PVE but only less than 5% in PVP. Weird stuff like that. You do less damage with the clutch rings vs other players than you do an enemy mob as well.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
I know this is very difficult for the rabid defenders of this game but I both enjoy this game greatly and dislike certain attributes.

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

If they just made it so in PVP summoning was disabled for the host & estus was blocked for everyone (or even have a ring you could get that does this) it would go a long way to improve the experience.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Blacktoll posted:

I know this is very difficult for the rabid defenders of this game but I both enjoy this game greatly and dislike certain attributes.

How dare you.

Really though I think every souls and borne game have their strengths and flaws. Like bloodborne has probably the best single player experience in the whole family but it also has the worst and most annoying pvp.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Pretty much.

Like for me, DS2 has the most exciting fun builds because of the sheer amount of weapons and spells, and how things like infusions and weapon buffs work (I know others disagree on that). So I catch myself thinking most of fun characters I could make in that game compared to the others. But in terms of actual GAMEPLAY, it's my least favorite because everything feels so sluggish and clumsy in combat to me. So I rarely actually get the motivation to try and make said characters. Oh well!

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
One thing I will say I dislike about this game is that it's really hard to backstep in combat. It feels like you have to wait a solid second after you stop moving for it to recognize your input as a backstep -- otherwise it either parses it as a roll or nothing at all. I don't recall any previous game in the series having this problem to this extent.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Demon's Souls could be real finicky about wether you had just tapped the button for a roll or wanted to hold it for a run, unless it was just my pad.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Sakurazuka posted:

Demon's Souls could be real finicky about wether you had just tapped the button for a roll or wanted to hold it for a run, unless it was just my pad.

Yeah, it definitely didn't feel as tight as the others

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

skasion posted:

One thing I will say I dislike about this game is that it's really hard to backstep in combat. It feels like you have to wait a solid second after you stop moving for it to recognize your input as a backstep -- otherwise it either parses it as a roll or nothing at all. I don't recall any previous game in the series having this problem to this extent.

Having played through 1 and 2 fairly recently (Only a bit over a year ago ago my total DS experience was DS1's tutorial and some of Lower Undead Burg, and I played some of 1 and 2 just before 3 came out to warm up too) I gotta say I have had a LOT of issue with that kind of thing in 3. For reference I play with M+KB though. But I've had a lot of trouble with a combination of stored inputs (which I know is not just my feeling in part because of how much speedrunners complain about them too :haw: ) and on the flipside, the game not wanting to accept inputs for a certain time during/after an animation where DS 1 and 2 WOULD accept input. This lead to a lot of getting hit because I'd first hit a button at a time DS1 and 2 taught me to hit the button, only for nothing happening, leading to me instinctively starting to spam butan instead to make sure my action would go through and then ending up with stored inputs instead that mean I can't react to things. It was pretty annoying to get used to, but I feel like it's definitely something you can get used to and time right, it just feels kinda unnatural and weird.

On the flip side, I could never kick well in DS1 so it's not like this kinda jankiness is exclusive to 3 or anything. But I never felt I actually needed to kick in 1 anyway, while this issue I had with 3 affected basically all aspects of combat.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

skasion posted:

it's the same logic as the kick command. the game will interpret Forward+R1 as taking a step and then attacking any time where it would by the least convenient thing for you to actually do. conversely, if you only need to close a small distance to land the killing blow on something before it can cast a spell or run away or estus or whatever, Forward+R1 will always turn into a kick.

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009
Ugh stored inputs. If I'm in the middle of an attack animation and see a boss gearing up for an attack, I start mashing dodge. The boss will end up hitting me and then my guy will dodge after the attack lands. Leading me to sometimes get killed.

I know the solution is not to button mash, but this still being a thing after four games kind of pisses me off.

And agreed about the back step. Not only is it almost useless now as it has barely any I frames, but you can't even perform it half the time. My character will just stand there and do nothing.

Still, combat in this game is way better than DS2. That game was just tedious at times.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CEFMxr5KHpo

poo poo is B to the R to the O, K E

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

What, that the Sentinels covenant actually works or a single guy can just spam dodge rolls into enemy crowds and get away easily? :v:

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

That poo poo was magnificient.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Re: poise

It's not a fun killer, but it would be nice if you had some return for wearing heavy armor and the stat investment required to do it. Granted you get a ton of defensive stats with heavy armor, but it does feel kind of awkward to have 3 rats stunlock you in the heaviest armor. It doesn't really bother me too much because I'm running a dex build with light armor, but I would be kind of pissed if I built my character around heavy armor and one of the key stats of that armor didn't work.

Then again, I'm a PvE babby so I'm not sure what the impact is on you progamers.

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

The increase in defensive stats are barely noticeable for Heavy vs Medium armour, the only reason to ever wear it was for the poise which is now in ineffective so it's rendered it useless.

I guess you could get around it by running around with a Talisman that can do Unfaltering Prayer at all times but that seems a bit of a faff.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc
Dog attacks can be entirely avoided if you move backwards. They lunge, they miss, you hit them, dog dead. You don't even need to hit circle ever.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

The lack of Poise isn't a dealbreaker but it sure does make Heavy Armour builds pretty useless.

Also yes dogs/rats can be avoided, I think everybody knows that by now.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

Golden Goat posted:

Also yes dogs/rats can be avoided, I think everybody knows that by now.

Not trying to drag anyone, but there are a lot of posts recently that imply the opposite.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Cool kids don't use shields for pve.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

I think the point about the dogs/rats stunlocking you is that it fucks with the feeling of character progression regarding levels & equipment when say you come back to the first area dressed in sweet heavy golden armour and your magnificent hammer/greatsword only to get knicked once by a rat and a group of rats stunlock you for a fair chunk of health.

It's not about how to handle the dogs & rats, its about first area enemies being able to still chump you even if you're at the end.

E: cept when folks are talking about them literally teleporting :psyduck:

Golden Goat fucked around with this message at 14:59 on May 26, 2016

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

Charles Get-Out posted:

Dog attacks can be entirely avoided if you move backwards. They lunge, they miss, you hit them, dog dead. You don't even need to hit circle ever.

Not teleporting dogs.

I watch a lot of speedruns and so obviously they just literally run away from the dogs. And yes, that does mean they can't be hit by the dogs' regular attacks because the delay before the dogs lunge at them gets them out of range. Does definitely not help the the dog teleports on top of you and instantly hits you though. It's especially obvious/hilarious running through the area right before the Cathedral bonfire, or the run-up to Pontiff!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

holy poo poo