Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
First Play Build
Turtle
No Shield Melee
Caster
Kaz, what should I do. Tell me like you used to
View Results

• Locked thread
Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

CHIMlord posted:

“Helm of the Permabanned

The helm of the permabanned poster Undead Stomper 88.

This poster became greatly obsessed with the concept of irony and tried to channel it constantly. Eventually his thought process became truly bizarre. He would repeat phrases like “undead balls” or “I love invading inside sinner's worlds” within his head for hours. He would become so paranoid that he began seeing things in the corners of his eyes. Scholars have often pondered the meaning of the “ironic” style of FYAD humour. Perhaps it is the unconscious leaking into the conscious mind? Those who “get” FYAD humour should be advised, at any rate; it likely means they have a predisposition to madness.”

im wearing that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WINNERSH TRIANGLE
Aug 17, 2011

CHIMlord posted:

“Helm of the Permabanned

This poster became greatly obsessed with the concept of irony and tried to channel it constantly. Eventually his thought process became truly bizarre. He would repeat phrases like “undead balls” or “I love invading inside sinner's worlds” within his head for hours. He would become so paranoid that he began seeing things in the corners of his eyes. Scholars have often pondered the meaning of the “ironic” style of FYAD humour. Perhaps it is the unconscious leaking into the conscious mind? Those who “get” FYAD humour should be advised, at any rate; it likely means they have a predisposition to madness.”

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Too close to the original, you gotta change the FYAD ref and talk more about mound makers

Dec 26, 2012

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

CHIMlord posted:

“Helm of the Permabanned

Thanks

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone
I doubt that anyone censored this game. i think someone decided that an ambiguously real dragon baby with a callback to Priscilla was more interesting than a hosed up guy accidentally stomping his baby to death. not sure if i agree with that, but if the parts in bloodborne where you have to stomp a newborn alien and kill a pregnant doctor to get the secret ending didnt get censored i don't think this did either

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
I think pretending he's insane and has no baby is also compelling

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

After I beat that fight, I just assumed he had a baby at one point but like consumed it or whatever to get it's half dragon soul power, and now it's part of him and he makes the baby noises but can't figure out where they come from.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I thought it was invisible like Priscilla can go invisible.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

swamp waste posted:

I doubt that anyone censored this game. i think someone decided that an ambiguously real dragon baby with a callback to Priscilla was more interesting than a hosed up guy accidentally stomping his baby to death. not sure if i agree with that, but if the parts in bloodborne where you have to stomp a newborn alien and kill a pregnant doctor to get the secret ending didnt get censored i don't think this did either

I dont know if censored is the right word but lol that audio is insane and its probably ok it got cut out at some point

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
i'm experimenting with offhand stuff on this run. i really like siegward's shield, with its bash. plus it has really solid stability and def.

i also fooled around with the demon fist. it seemed pretty cool to be able to switch into the flame spin move, but the damage seems pathetic. does it improve considerably with upgrades?

also: i'm using a carthus curved sword as my main right now and i love it. i'm at like 20/20 DEX/STR, and weirdly infusing with quality doesn't really do anything to damage (i think it's actually 1 point less, lol). i guess i need to do 30/30 before i get a damage bonus from infusion? i'm considering speccing into luck and doing bleed, because putting carthus rouge absolutely shreds poo poo even with no luck investment. especially that first doggy in ithryll. i plunked my sign down, put on carthus, and i can kill it in 3 or 4 hits.

edit: do you need to be hollow to get the most out of a bleed build?

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002

i've been digging offhand spears, though it seems like people play a lot more defensively when they see it, which isnt really beneficial. offhand bandit knife is mostly useful for its weapon art if youre in a watery area, and handy for bleeding PvE enemies that are weak to it

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

HolePisser1982 posted:

i've been digging offhand spears, though it seems like people play a lot more defensively when they see it, which isnt really beneficial. offhand bandit knife is mostly useful for its weapon art if youre in a watery area, and handy for bleeding PvE enemies that are weak to it

offhand rapier stabs and parries, but offhand stone shield has insane stability and great defense. those are my offhands

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

I wish Yhorms Greatshield did something other than raise poise so there was a reason to use it . It looks sick

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

HolePisser1982 posted:

if you use knight's ring and a quick weapon on the offhand, then can you break shields with fast attacks, or do you just bounce off?

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

Anyone got any tips for trying to take down The nameless king at lvl6 +2? He's uh, kickin' my undead butt.

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

Why are t you upgrading your weapon

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Leadthumb posted:

Anyone got any tips for trying to take down The nameless king at lvl6 +2? He's uh, kickin' my undead butt.

You can give the Fire Keeper souls to level up your character

WINNERSH TRIANGLE
Aug 17, 2011

Leadthumb posted:

visions of retreat, in short try hexes

Benny D posted:

Why are t you upgrading your weapon

invading the settlement with the dragonslayer swordspear I'm guessing

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
you can be traded boss souls fyi

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003
beat dancer to make a low level invader using the weapons she has but they kinda suck and are really slow for a dex weapon

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

apropos to nothing posted:

beat dancer to make a low level invader using the weapons she has but they kinda suck and are really slow for a dex weapon

On the other hand if you have high Stam the L2 is hilarious

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Any dual wield sword L1 L2 R2 is intensely satisfying. Especially if they bleed :getin:

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003
getting people caught in the l2 r2 spam is pretty funny but it does piss poor damage

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

apropos to nothing posted:

getting people caught in the l2 r2 spam is pretty funny but it does piss poor damage

It's not good by any means

Dec 26, 2012

just beat pontiff. nearly shouted out loud i was so pumped. gently caress

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

01011001 posted:

i actually did shout when i did that, and also nameless king

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
finally beating NK was one of my most satisfying gaming moments. huge endorphin rush.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

I'm never gonna do it ...

Sex Tragedy
Jan 28, 2007

father of three with an extra large butt

goferchan posted:

I'm never gonna do it ...

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone

Leadthumb posted:

carthus bloodring and fast roll maybe? you get a way bigger margin for error on dodges, but you definitely die if you exceed it, but that's probably true at level 6 anyway. If you hang back he'll do hovering stabs a lot and those are predictable and safe to counter. i haven't tried what i'm telling you how to do here. you could set up for tears of denial but unless you absolutely can not survive 1 hit its probably not worth it

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
All the bosses wreck my face with their phase two feints

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

WINNERSH TRIANGLE posted:

invading the settlement with the dragonslayer swordspear I'm guessing

Actually just invading the high wall as the final boss, but I need to kill the only boss in the game that's left in order to get patches back to buy rusty coins lol

01011001 posted:

On this run, I definitely shouted some terrible things out loud when he finally died after like 50+ attempts. Staying low level is a totally different game, on my regular character I just breezed through that fight, but this time he was the biggest road block of the game.

Leadthumb fucked around with this message at 06:57 on May 27, 2016

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

swamp waste posted:

carthus bloodring and fast roll maybe? you get a way bigger margin for error on dodges, but you definitely die if you exceed it, but that's probably true at level 6 anyway. If you hang back he'll do hovering stabs a lot and those are predictable and safe to counter. i haven't tried what i'm telling you how to do here. you could set up for tears of denial but unless you absolutely can not survive 1 hit its probably not worth it

I'll try playing with the ring see if that helps, since you're right everything kills me anyways. I was looking at upgrades for lightning weapons, and the dragon slayer axe gets weirdly high AR when you give it another element, but I don't know if that will actually help me in the second phase. I may just try to nuke him down coward style like with the pontiff.

Dec 26, 2012

Leadthumb posted:

I'll try playing with the ring see if that helps, since you're right everything kills me anyways. I was looking at upgrades for lightning weapons, and the dragon slayer axe gets weirdly high AR when you give it another element, but I don't know if that will actually help me in the second phase. I may just try to nuke him down coward style like with the pontiff.

total AR is a little misleading because you're splitting it 3 ways if you do that and defense is at least partially subtractive

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

swamp waste posted:

i had luck baiting his hovering stabs by keeping medium range and shooting a fireball at him. you might be able to get the same effect w/ like a throwing knife

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

my three biggest video game warcries:

3) beating nameless king
2) beating manus
1) beating o&s

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

All of those guys are easy to me now but Motherfucking Orphan of Kos is still my all time video game bete noire. I've beat him 3 times out of probably 100 fights

Leadthumb posted:

if literally every hit kills you i would set up your rings like carthus blood / saint's or deep / dusk / priestess so you can cast tears of denial. What a great name for a spell lol

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

swamp waste posted:

if literally every hit kills you i would set up your rings like carthus blood / saint's or deep / dusk / priestess so you can cast tears of denial. What a great name for a spell lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

Exactly

• Locked thread