Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

blugu64 posted:

Buy a truck and be the most popular person on campus. Bad with gas, good with life.

This is law school, not undergrad.

Seriously, don't be that dude who bought a new car before he went to law school. That dude is almost as bad as gunners and that fake nice guy who is really a douche (ok, lots of them in law school).
What money pit did you decide on? WUSTL? If so, get a car insurance quote first. Car insurance in STL is no loving joke.

Edit: buy truck, buy camper for truck bed, be ready for graduation.

Edit2: FYI, this dude is going to law school and doesn't want to be a lawyer in the US. And is a fan of FCA and VWs. Dude is pretty decent at lighting money on fire.

nm fucked around with this message at 06:46 on May 26, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Best car for going to law school is probably a used Fiat 500.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

IRQ posted:

So you can practice Lemon Law with FCA?

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

IRQ posted:

No, it's nearly a decade old European sports/luxury car, that is only 10% of its initial price. You'd be a fool not to buy it.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Don't go to law school. Jfc.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Quit school buy a Prius then live in mom's basement posting on an intetnet forum you spent 10bux on years ago.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

tater_salad posted:

Quit school buy a Prius then live in mom's basement posting on an intetnet forum you spent 10bux on years ago.

The most BFC of answers.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

I want to sell my 09 VW GLI for literally anything with less problems

alternators and batteries and intake manifolds and oxygen sensors and now a hosed up throttle body

I'm sick of this loving car and I want to drive it off a bridge, should I buy a used 2010 1 series

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

128i or 135i?

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

probably 128i

I'm not going to win at track day in either case and I'll take the bonus gas mileage and lower price

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Mortimer posted:

alternators and batteries and intake manifolds and oxygen sensors and now a hosed up throttle body

I'm sick of this loving car and I want to drive it off a bridge, should I buy a used 2010 1 series

Going from one german car to another hoping for more reliability seems a curious choice.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

The 128i is supposed to be pretty good, as far as the Germans go. Still uses the NA I6 so no turbo fuckery like the 135i.

The thing is that a 2010 128i is still going to be a 6+ year old German car and will have the usual 6+ year old German car stuff to deal with. If you're the type of person who takes it to the dealership for every little issue you'll get nickel and dimed like crazy.

Obviously it's no Prius or Corolla when it comes to low TCO, though. But way more fun if you don't mind the quirks.

Also stuff like batteries need to be replaced every ~5 years, and it's not unusual for O2 sensors to go out in the 80-100k mile range on any car, though they do often last much longer, too. I wouldn't count that stuff as particularly damning. But if you're the type of person who can't diagnose and replace those sorts of things on your own without getting pissed off, a used German car is probably not a good fit for you.

But alternators, intake manifolds, throttle bodies needing to be replaced on a 6 year old car is pretty stupid. Maybe one of those things as a fluke item, but all 3 is pretty classic VW.

Guinness fucked around with this message at 18:08 on May 26, 2016

Stacular
May 22, 2007
Recommend me a car!

Budget: Ideally I'm looking to spend $15,000 and up to $20,000 for the right car or financing option. I'm looking to put about $5000 down and I've got great credit. I'm about to finish my last year of anesthesiology fellowship/residency so my earning potential is about to quintuple in one year. I'd prefer to keep the cost down and finance with low interest or plan on paying it off in full when I start making non-resident Doctor money.

I drove a 1998 Chevy Metro for the last 14 years until it was smashed to oblivion by another driver going 3ish MPH. I fell in love with small, fuel efficient cars. I'm looking for a small car that's relatively efficient. I have two kids so back seats are essential (e.g no Smart cars). I'll be doing primarily city driving, commuting 10-15 miles total per day. I'm looking at Fiestas, Yaris, Versa Notes, etc. but open to a number of options. I take the occasional long road trip so reliability would be nice. In an ideal world, I'll buy a car in Seattle to drive for the next month before moving to Nashville, I'd love to drive it across country but I'm not married to that idea if it's financially absurd.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Stacular posted:

Recommend me a car!

Budget: Ideally I'm looking to spend $15,000 and up to $20,000 for the right car or financing option. I'm looking to put about $5000 down and I've got great credit. I'm about to finish my last year of anesthesiology fellowship/residency so my earning potential is about to quintuple in one year. I'd prefer to keep the cost down and finance with low interest or plan on paying it off in full when I start making non-resident Doctor money.

I drove a 1998 Chevy Metro for the last 14 years until it was smashed to oblivion by another driver going 3ish MPH. I fell in love with small, fuel efficient cars. I'm looking for a small car that's relatively efficient. I have two kids so back seats are essential (e.g no Smart cars). I'll be doing primarily city driving, commuting 10-15 miles total per day. I'm looking at Fiestas, Yaris, Versa Notes, etc. but open to a number of options. I take the occasional long road trip so reliability would be nice. In an ideal world, I'll buy a car in Seattle to drive for the next month before moving to Nashville, I'd love to drive it across country but I'm not married to that idea if it's financially absurd.

It's there a reason Honda Fit or Ford Focus are not on that list? Are you looking new or used?

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Mortimer posted:

Need back seats? If yes then Mustang with performance package, if no then Miata.

Stacular posted:

Recommend me a car!

You should probably buy a Prius but supposing you want a really small car with a manual I don't think any of the ones on the market right now are particularly bad, well maybe stay away from the automatic Fiesta/Focus and FIAT 500L/X/Jeep Renegade.

Stacular
May 22, 2007

Nitrox posted:

It's there a reason Honda Fit or Ford Focus are not on that list? Are you looking new or used?

Only because I hadn't thought of them yet. Definitely a consideration. I'm looking certified pre-owned or new, unless I can find a clean used car.

Stacular
May 22, 2007

Throatwarbler posted:

well maybe stay away from the automatic Fiesta/Focus and FIAT 500L/X/Jeep Renegade.
Any particular reason to avoid the Fiat 500L? I've been borrowing a friend's for the last few weeks and I've enjoyed it quite a bit. That being said, 2 weeks does not give me much experience in terms of problems with the car. I'm sensing I should avoid Chryslers...

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Stacular posted:

Any particular reason to avoid the Fiat 500L? I've been borrowing a friend's for the last few weeks and I've enjoyed it quite a bit. That being said, 2 weeks does not give me much experience in terms of problems with the car. I'm sensing I should avoid Chryslers...

By most published metrics, i.e. Consumer Reports, etc, they have been found to be poorly built and unreliable.

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

Stacular posted:

Recommend me a car!

This was almost exactly me about a week ago and I settled on a used 2014 Toyota Camry Hybrid XLE -- 28k miles, 5k down, 13k loan. It was Toyota Certified so I was able to secure 1.9% financing.

Not saying you need to follow the same path I did, but I was considering several of the same cars you were and also transitioned from an oldass compact ('03 Cavalier).

For what it's worth, I didn't like the '13 Prius I test drove's sightlines, acceleration, or braking. The braking felt especially non-linear and "wrong" -- incredibly weak for 1/3rd depression to immediate hard braking at 1/2. The Camry driving experience was night and day.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Is there a rule of thumb on when to ditch a car due to repairs? I feel like I'm sinking a grand a year into my 05 Pontiac vibe (that's 90% a corolla hatchback aka matrix) and have just fixed the a/c for the fourth year running for another $600. It seems like getting another used car that has the same mileage (170k) is still going to cost me 7500 or more and have its own set of repairs to make.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Why do you keep fixing the AC? What's wrong with it?

Even if you for instance need a new compressor, that's a one time replacement and the new compressor should be good for years.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Stacular posted:

Recommend me a car!

The Versa Note sucks and the Yaris isn't very good.

If you want a little fuel efficient hatch, buy a manual transmission Fit. If no manuals, buy a Prius.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

The Versa Note sucks and the Yaris isn't very good.

If you want a little fuel efficient hatch, buy a manual transmission Fit. If no manuals, buy a Prius.

Eh I dunno a manual trans Mazda3 hatch is a better vehicle in every respect, has better rated fuel economy and according to Truecar is about the same price out the door as a MT Fit. The Fit is a good car but not at the prices Honda wants for it.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Why do you keep fixing the AC? What's wrong with it?

Even if you for instance need a new compressor, that's a one time replacement and the new compressor should be good for years.

It just broke in a different way every single year, or so the various auto shops claimed. Compressor just got replaced this time, some sort of switch another time, and then various 'oh hey the coolant is all gone. again' the others. That, plus a million other small stuff - catalytic converter, brakes, windshield cracking, etc etc makes me wonder what the expected repairs on cars are every year. Especially when driven around in salt/snow in a city full of potholes.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Throatwarbler posted:

Eh I dunno a manual trans Mazda3 hatch is a better vehicle in every respect, has better rated fuel economy and according to Truecar is about the same price out the door as a MT Fit. The Fit is a good car but not at the prices Honda wants for it.
Mazda 3's hatch design sucks donkey nuts. The opening is irregular and narrow, so strollers have to go in at an angle. The cx3 I drove at the auto show has exact same problem. Hatch opening designed for looks, not practicality. Honda Fit rear doors and hatch have a square opening, which makers transporting kids and accessories much more effortless. Also, Fit has more headroom space, not sure if that's important.

Also, according to AI, there is an excessive rust issue, not sure how prevalent.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Nitrox posted:

Also, according to AI, there is an excessive rust issue, not sure how prevalent.

Vastly overblown unless you live in a salted frozen hell hole.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Dude I live in the northeast and I'm surprised when I look at the model year on the registration vs the amount of rust.
A new 3 should have no issues though
Just buy a Prius

57Hz
Jan 27, 2009

A white-noise buzzing sound.
I currently drive a 2003 Escape that I'd like to replace with something more modern. There's nothing seriously wrong with it at the moment but the list of minor issues keeps getting longer.

I'd like something new in the $20k range, either a compact SUV or a hatchback. This is mostly for daily driving but I periodically do some hauling for work. I may also be moving in the next year or two so I'd like a good amount of space.

The biggest issue is that I make annual cross country drives that cut through the mountains. I live near Newport News, Virginia and visit family in central Ohio and Maryland. All the cars that have caught my eye only come with a V4 and I'm not sure if that's enough to get me where I need to go without overworking the engine. Should I invest in something with a V6?

I'm currently looking at the HR-V, the Fit, the Focus hatch and have a passing interest in the Renegade but will look at whatever as long as it's not a sedan. I also haven't done any test drives yet.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Must not make old saab jokes.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

nm posted:

Must not make old saab jokes.

I was going to make a Lancia joke.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I was going to make a Lancia joke.

Don't Taunus me.

MayakovskyMarmite
Dec 5, 2009
Proposed Budget: Ideally $20-25+k or so. I will likely be paying in cash.
New or Used: Probably certified pre-owned?
Body Style: 4 door. Girlfriend wants hatch-back, but it is my car so not wedded to that. Not too big since I live in a big city and street park frequently when going out. I do have a garage for parking.
How will you be using the car?: I don't drive to work, so running errands on the weekends in the city and the occasional roadtrip/highway drive is basically it.
Do you prefer a luxury vehicle with all the gizmos?) I feel like I would want the bells and whistles if I got a used car.
What aspects are most important to you? Interested in ease of ownership, value, safety, and MPG.

I've been following the thread for a bit. Seems like a used Maxada3 or Prius would be the recommendation. Any other cars to research? I would definitely lean towards Mazada3 in that pair based on the look and likely sportier drive. I would be open to a slightly older "luxury" car as long as it wasn't too big, but have no clue about what would be a good option in that sphere. I live in a city that does get winter and plenty of salt on the roads/potholes, so some concern about that.

Also, interested in any thoughts on whether I should finance or pay cash? Is certified pre-owned worth it? What is a good rule of thumb for making an opening offer on a used car? I assume I will need to negotiate?

Nexein
May 2, 2012

"Donuts of
Champions"
This one is gonna be a doozy, I'm trying to find something relatively reliable but something also worth putting performance parts into; something to play with that'll also get me to work 95% of the time.

Proposed Budget: $20-25k if new, <$20k if older used
New or Used: New is fine, if used, something like, 1980-early 2000's
Body Style: 2 Door ideally, 4 is fine, something small; it's just me and occasionally my girlfriend.
How will you be using the car?: To and from work (only like 30 min both ways), something to play with in the garage when I'm not working and occasionally open up on the highway at 3am. Gadgets aren't super important since I work for a tech giant and I can redo the flashy stuff on the cheap.
What aspects are most important to you?: Speed, honestly; I'm trying to find the middle ground between daily driver and backyard tuner racecar. MPG is a little less important since I'm already used to driving a steel canoe of a car. Aesthetic is kind of a big one too, something that doesn't really look like the average sedan.

For reference, I've been pawing around some mid 2000s 350z's and it's pretty much what I'm after but I'm trying to feel out some other suggestions. Short of finding something like this I'm just gonna say gently caress it and buy a prius.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Nexein posted:

This one is gonna be a doozy, I'm trying to find something relatively reliable but something also worth putting performance parts into; something to play with that'll also get me to work 95% of the time.

Proposed Budget: $20-25k if new, <$20k if older used
New or Used: New is fine, if used, something like, 1980-early 2000's
Body Style: 2 Door ideally, 4 is fine, something small; it's just me and occasionally my girlfriend.
How will you be using the car?: To and from work (only like 30 min both ways), something to play with in the garage when I'm not working and occasionally open up on the highway at 3am. Gadgets aren't super important since I work for a tech giant and I can redo the flashy stuff on the cheap.
What aspects are most important to you?: Speed, honestly; I'm trying to find the middle ground between daily driver and backyard tuner racecar. MPG is a little less important since I'm already used to driving a steel canoe of a car. Aesthetic is kind of a big one too, something that doesn't really look like the average sedan.

For reference, I've been pawing around some mid 2000s 350z's and it's pretty much what I'm after but I'm trying to feel out some other suggestions. Short of finding something like this I'm just gonna say gently caress it and buy a prius.

Can you fit in a miata?

Nexein
May 2, 2012

"Donuts of
Champions"

nm posted:

Can you fit in a miata?

Probably, I keep getting this recommendation but I haven't driven one yet. My main gripes are the newer ones are expensive and the older ones are ugly.

e: the sport model is just in my range, though.

Nexein fucked around with this message at 23:35 on May 27, 2016

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Nexein posted:

Probably, I keep getting this recommendation but I haven't driven one yet. My main gripes are the newer ones are expensive and the older ones are ugly.

e: the sport model is just in my range, though.

Buy a new miata. Or a old miata.
Or an BRZ, which is a miata with a hardtop and somewhat less reliability (and a non-usable back seat).
You could do a fiesta st, but they are less reliable than those options. Or lease a fiat 500 abarth (and I say lease because it will catch on fire when the warranty expires and break a lot), but they sound awesome.

Edit: s2000 if you have a garage (because if you don't someone will steal your seats).

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Turbo Miatas are hilariously fast and there's so many parts suppliers and that parts are relatively cheap and there are good pre-fab kits that it'd make a great, doable project. The BP motors take to boost exceptionally well.

I always wanted to turbo my NA Miata, that car was so stupidly fun and so simple and reliable. But I couldn't support a project car as an only-car, and also wanted something a touch more practical as an only car. They are a surprisingly very livable car (was my only car for over 4 years), just the complete inability to fit more than 2 people, even uncomfortably, became enough of a regular limitation to warrant a change.

Would love to do a turbo Miata project in the future, though.

Nexein
May 2, 2012

"Donuts of
Champions"
That BRZ looks really nice and I hadn't even thought of Subaru really, thanks! Snagging and tuning an old Miata still seems a little cheaper; I can't seem to find any used and hardly any new BRZs around me.

Griz
May 21, 2001

57Hz posted:

The biggest issue is that I make annual cross country drives that cut through the mountains. I live near Newport News, Virginia and visit family in central Ohio and Maryland. All the cars that have caught my eye only come with a V4 and I'm not sure if that's enough to get me where I need to go without overworking the engine. Should I invest in something with a V6?

no, everything you listed should be fine. my last car was an old Subaru wagon with the 135hp engine and it didn't overheat or anything in the mountains of upstate NY, even on the really steep bits where I had to floor it in 5th gear just to maintain highway speed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Griz posted:

neven on the really steep bits where I had to floor it in 5th gear just to maintain highway speed.

It's okay to downshift going uphill, you know. I wouldn't necessarily expect to be cruising around in top gear climbing a steep mountain pass or switchback. Don't be afraid of "overworking" the engine, they're designed for it. Unless you're sitting there continuously banging it off the rev limiter it'll be fine.

There's nothing that is new and for sale on the US Market that can't safely and easily do 75+ mph on the highway or drive over a mountain pass. Plenty of cars that are slow, but none of them are dangerously underpowered, despite what some dumb internet commenters out there might say.

All that said, more available power does generally make for a better driving experience and I'm not advocating against it.

Guinness fucked around with this message at 03:42 on May 28, 2016