Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bolivar
Aug 20, 2011

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

I keep opening boxes like this

i have like, 9 legendary skins now?

From how many boxes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

I keep opening boxes like this

i have like, 9 legendary skins now?

gently caress yooooou I've gotten a total of three purples. One was a roadhog skin the other two were gold. This game loving hates me.

Apprentice Dick
Dec 1, 2009

Thumbtacks posted:

oh poo poo got sunyatta from a pack

alright time to play zenyatta more

also i need to join that discord, playing with an organized team makes everything better

If you aren't playing with a group you miss out on so much in this game. Last night was the first time I bothered to join discord to group up and playing is night and day. I was able to play different roles all night instead of being forced onto a tank or support which was great.

whaam
Mar 18, 2008
I usually play d.va flying around constantly looking for squishies to boost into a corner and gun down. Also taking out snipers and disrupting reinhart shields. She definitely isn't one of the most powerful heroes but she has her place, especially in pubs. In competitive games I'm sure a lot of her tactics wouldn't work, but against pubbies she can be really effective and more importantly, fun to play.

Also her pilot pistol absolutely wrecks house, and dying so rarely increases my enjoyment of the game.

The other one I'm loving is Zarya. Once you get the feel for how to maintain charge she is really brutal. Very hard to kill, great sustain and can spam grenades better than junkrat when charged up. Only issue is tracers.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Bolivar posted:

From how many boxes?

18ish I think?

Xenaba
Feb 18, 2003
Pillbug

Foud this last night:

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

I'm on my 19th box and I've gotten three purples: Winston Peanut Butter emote (best emote), Muddy Roadhog skin and gold. Everything else is just garbage player icons or sprays. Not even any low level skins. Just sprays.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

Bolivar posted:

Wait, I can leave the game without any repercussions when I'm in the character selection screen and the clock is counting to 0 and re-queue to a different game? If yes, this is great information for whenever I see something like Hanzo-Widow-Hanzo-Genji-Tracer. Or when I want to play an offensive class for a change after some Lucio games, and some idiot picks the same class as I have 5 seconds after I have locked it.

I can't find any documentation on the leaver penalty. This is based on my own experience. In beta I was flagged for weeks until I kept to these habits.

1. You can leave during the end of game summary.
2. You can leave during the countdown to the round-start. You must not have left the spawns as a defender.
3. You can leave an in-progress match if you are backfill as long as you do it fast. I don't know if the condition to this one is timing, location or action based, but I did it dozens of times in the beta before I began tolerating the lovely rear end king of the hill mode. Fast is safe.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
Do they let you know when you get flagged? Cause I get a lot of disconnects during the day when my family is awake trying to use the internet.

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion
I got the Anubis Pharah skin. She's my most played and I think it's my favorite of all her skins. I"m happy :unsmith:

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Dragongem posted:

I got the Anubis Pharah skin. She's my most played and I think it's my favorite of all her skins. I"m happy :unsmith:

It's really good. I'm honestly surprised it's not one of her legendary skins cause I think it looks way more interesting than the gundam one

I don't know which legendary I like more for Mei, the firefighter or the one with the big feather (the pink one of course)). Both of them are so good!

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

Ularg posted:

Do they let you know when you get flagged? Cause I get a lot of disconnects during the day when my family is awake trying to use the internet.

It only tells you when you've dropped out of enough games to trigger the penalty. At that point you get a warning in your chat at the start of each session, and there's a message about the penalty on the endgame screen when you get experience.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Does Roadhog's M2 explode in a sphere or in the direction it was traveling?

MUSCULAR BEAVER
Dec 26, 2014

HENDO! HENDO!
I got time out errors trying to join games in the beta and it came up with a warning about being a quitter and then after restarting to try fix it I was labelled a dirty quitter and it docked my xp gains for the whole beta really hard

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

It really is an asinine system with no place in an arcade shooter with 10 minute long matches.

It's one of those things that tell you what games Blizzard usually make, and what they think of you as the player.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L

Wildtortilla posted:

Direction it was traveling. it's a ranged shotgun blast.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Wildtortilla posted:

Direction

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

It's basically like his m1 except the blast starts out a little farther away

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Winston finally clicked for me last night, and that monkey is a beast. Jump behind enemy lines, drop a shield, kill their squishies, then jump back to safety. Heal up while whoever you killed respawns, then go meet them before they group up with their team. I think I went a whole game without my team realizing the other team had a Zenyatta and Widowmaker who never made it to the fight.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

Donnerberg posted:

It only tells you when you've dropped out of enough games to trigger the penalty. At that point you get a warning in your chat at the start of each session, and there's a message about the penalty on the endgame screen when you get experience.

Does it go away with good behavior?

Also, I had three weird matches. There was apparently a 3-person team that wanted to do gimmicks. So on defense they went 3 widowmakers. We beat them in like 2 minutes. Then on attack they went 3 roadhogs, then 3 symettras and lost again but at least got half way there.

Third game, though? I got put on their team, and we all went Mei. Guess how it went down?

We won!

We would use icewalls to wall people into icy prisons as we slowly freeze them to death. A reaper was using his smoke form but unable to escape us all holding M1 at him. Everytime they used an ult we all iceblocked.

Sometimes, just sometimes, pubbies can be ameizing.

afkmacro
Mar 29, 2009

Bolivar posted:

From how many boxes?

wish I could buy boxes and open them outside of the game

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

afkmacro posted:

wish I could buy boxes and open them outside of the game

I'd live by the ATM begging for money, put that money in the ATM then buy boxes.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

Ularg posted:

Does it go away with good behavior?

Yes. The way it works is they check your 20 most recent games against an unspecified percentage of incompletion. If you have left too many of those 20 games, the penalty triggers.

What this means is that with an occasional incomplete game every now and then, you'll play your way out of the leaver penalty very fast. However, if you dropped out of a bunch of games in a row, you have to play much longer to push that chain of incomplete games through your 20 most recent matches.

If you're going to penalize people, this is a pretty reasonable solution. People with bad connections and irregular drop outs will be the least affected. It just would make more sense as a system exclusive to Ranked games where the perceived stakes are higher.

Attack on Princess fucked around with this message at 14:42 on May 26, 2016

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

At what point can you safely leave a game without incurring penalties? I've ducked out of some solo QMs when everybody on my team selects Reaper/Widow and doesn't budge, but before you're actually in the match.

Also the game looks even better now that I forced adaptive vsync, I guess input lag is a problem sometimes but I'm too bad at this game to even notice. Weird that it's not a regular option.

exquisite tea fucked around with this message at 14:50 on May 26, 2016

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
Thanks. I've somehow followed a "No Rage Quitting" rule for the past 5 years but my internet sucks (thanks AT&T) so I get dropped occasionally.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

exquisite tea posted:

At what point can you safely leave a game without incurring penalties? I've ducked out of some solo QMs when everybody on my team selects Reaper/Widow and doesn't budge, but before you're actually in the match.

Also the game looks even better now that I forced adaptive vsync, I guess input lag is a problem sometimes but I'm too bad at this game to even notice. Weird that it's not a regular option.

It seems to be safe to leave before the round starts while in the spawns, when the round ends, and right after hot-joining an in-progress match.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
Friends don't let friends D.Va. If you seriously think you're doing good by pressuring snipers and flanking squishys, you could be doing it way better as a Winston.

Also Blizzard needs to fix the godamn POTG, it wasn't this bad in beta. I'd rather watch some shirty Hanzo Ult or Windowmaker chain kill than a lackluster Reaper 2-kill.
And Disruption POTGs should really be weighted more heavily, like Winstons knocking everyone off a cap point in OT or a Junkrat/Mei breaking up a healer from their tank in addition to a kill or two.

Thor-Stryker fucked around with this message at 14:58 on May 26, 2016

whaam
Mar 18, 2008

Thor-Stryker posted:

Friends don't let friends D.Va. If you seriously think you're doing good by pressuring snipers and flanking squishys, you could be doing it way better as a Winston.

Also Blizzard needs to fix the godamn POTG, it wasn't this bad in beta, I'd rather watch some shirty Hanzo Ult or Windowmaker chain kill than a lackluster Reaper 2-kill.
Disruptions should really be weighted more heavily, like Winstons knocking everyone off a cap point in OT or a Junkrat/Mei breaking up a healer from their tank in addition to a kill or two.

I don't think this is true. I'd say they are fairly even for harassing and area denial with their ults. The other thing is dva is going to die a lot less than an equally played Winston imo.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Thor-Stryker posted:

Please don't D.VA shame your friends :colbert:

edit: I just noticed that Roadhog has a ring on each finger on his left hand with a letter on each one. What do the letters spell out? L-E-F-T :thumbsup:

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
they should add up/downvoting for POTGs and analyze the results and improve the algorithm based on those results

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Macaluso posted:

Please don't D.VA shame your friends :colbert:

they're shaming themselves

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

whaam posted:

I don't think this is true. I'd say they are fairly even for harassing and area denial with their ults. The other thing is dva is going to die a lot less than an equally played Winston imo.

Lol.

Winston is miles more survivable than dva

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I do wish D.Va had a little better ult growth in mech form since you'll spend a significant portion of the match building no ult.

RanKizama
Apr 22, 2015

Shinobi Heart

Schrodingers cat posted:

I actually have no idea how you good Tracer players do it. I can't seem to last very long with her unless I'm against very.... new players.
One thing a lot of people miss is that Tracer's "Rewind" ability also replenishes any health she may have lost through the rewinded session. It's a great way to replenish your health as well as GTFO when in a pinch.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
No it's true gentlemen, D.VA can last longer than Winston, but that's because she pops out of the mech and spends the next two minutes trying to survive as a squishy rather than eating the respawn timer and becoming effective again.

Seriously, D.Va's own skills don't even work well, for a tank-flanker she can't shoot and chase running targets because her guns slow her down, she can't shoot while boosting, and her other special is designed purely for tanking because she can't shoot while she has it deployed.

Meanwhile Winston has none of these issues with his specials because everything works for both flanking and tanking.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

whaam posted:

You mean the ult that D.va never gets to use because she deals negative zero damage?

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

This game was gifted to me last night. I never played the beta but my very first round I went 13-0 as Hanzo.

Game is pretty fun.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib
I think my favorite part is when Reinhardts don't know that Winston's gun penetrates their shield. I don't know how many people I've seen who just stand there, holding their shield, thinking they're safe.

EPIC fat guy vids
Feb 3, 2011

squeak... squeak... SQUEAK!
Lipstick Apathy

RanKizama posted:

One thing a lot of people miss is that Tracer's "Rewind" ability also replenishes any health she may have lost through the rewinded session. It's a great way to replenish your health as well as GTFO when in a pinch.

Wow.... I can't believe I missed that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Star posted:

I think my favorite part is when Reinhardts don't know that Winston's gun penetrates their shield. I don't know how many people I've seen who just stand there, holding their shield, thinking they're safe.

Is there a list of what does go through his (& other) shield?